PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM #1072
Ninja Mouse
Team Aircraft Carrier

The lyrical stylings of Justin Beiber are far superior to the wanna-bes posted.

"Originally posted by PballPlayer™: I came home on my break to find this. I'm never going to say anything bad about the Saints again. Ninja is a god. It was bigger than I expected (twss) so I'm sure it was pricey, thanks Ninja, you are too kind."
Sauce
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM #1073
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mouse View Post
The lyrical stylings of Justin Beiber are far superior to the wanna-bes posted.
he is a true champion. he sang so hard for his fans that he puked up all of ushers ***
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM #1074
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
when your opinion is based on the small fraction of crap pumped out on MTV then it is a bad, uninformed opinion.
my opinions are based only on whether or not I enjoy the sounds coming out of my speakers. I don't watch MTV. I was frankly unaware it was still even a thing. I watched MTV like twice, when I was in 5th grade.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM #1075
Ninja Mouse
Team Aircraft Carrier

Music, like food, books, movies, paintings, and many other things is 100% subjective, it always has and always will be. Anyone who says otherwise is simply showing how uneducated they are.

"Originally posted by PballPlayer™: I came home on my break to find this. I'm never going to say anything bad about the Saints again. Ninja is a god. It was bigger than I expected (twss) so I'm sure it was pricey, thanks Ninja, you are too kind."
Sauce
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM #1076
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

it is not subjective when you look at it from a technical level and realize that someone is simply not a good lyricist, has meh flow, cannot play anything outside a few ****ty chords, etc. sure it might sound alright but that does not simply make it good

example: Neil Young. personally i love his music but from a technical stand point he is pretty ****ty musician when it comes to instruments.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 PM #1077
Ninja Mouse
Team Aircraft Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
it is not subjective when you look at it from a technical level and realize that someone is simply not a good lyricist, has meh flow, cannot play anything outside a few ****ty chords, etc. sure it might sound alright but that does not simply make it good
False. Your high levels of uneducation are showing.

Sauce
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM #1078
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
False. Your high levels of uneducation are showing.
no yours is meeeeeeeh
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM #1079
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Quote:
Music, like food, books, movies, paintings, and many other things is 100% subjective, it always has and always will be. Anyone who says otherwise is simply showing how uneducated they are.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM #1080
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul

Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
Certain aspects of music are objective though, it's not completely subjective.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 PM #1081
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

If you say someone is better at playing guitar because they are able to play more complex pieces, I can buy that. But saying one piece of music is better than another is subjective. More difficult to play, sure.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM #1082
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
This is patently false. While there will always be a level of subjective bias, we can study form and method.

In the case of these rappers we can look at word use and diction. Use of internal rhyme, slant rhyme, do they often rhyme two or three syllable words or is it all simple stuff? What about their ability to change cadence or tempo? Then the quality of the writing. If the lyrics are a narrativr how well is the story conveyed, if introspective does it trigger the intended emotional response, etc.

There are ways we can determine good vs bad in art. And anyone who thinks otherwise is simply showing how uneducated they are.

Edit: it should be pointed out bad doesnt mean unenjoyable. I like all sorts of bad art.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton

Last edited by automagsrule : 10-03-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM #1083
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul

Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
If you say someone is better at playing guitar because they are able to play more complex pieces, I can buy that. But saying one piece of music is better than another is subjective. More difficult to play, sure.
More so of commenting on originality which is something I favor heavily in contrasting artist.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM #1084
Ninja Mouse
Team Aircraft Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
This is patently false. While there will always be a level of subjective bias, we can study form and method.

In the case of these rappers we can look at word use and diction. Use of internal rhyme, slant rhyme, do they often rhyme two or three syllable words or is it all simple stuff? What about their ability to change cadence or tempo? Then the quality of the writing. If the lyrics are a narrativr how well is the story conveyed, if introspective does it trigger the intended emotional response, etc.

There are ways we can determine good vs bad in art. And anyone who thinks otherwise is simply showing how uneducated they are.

Edit: it should be pointed out bad doesnt mean unenjoyable. I like all sorts of bad art.
Again, you are wrong. What sounds good to you does not mean it will sound good to anyone else. Even the technical "standards" are 100% subjective.

This isn't engineering. Music, food, etc. are not exact sciences. There is no perfect formula, no right way to do it. You are creating something that people will enjoy, or not enjoy.

Sauce
Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 PM #1085
.OBEY.

Real G's move in silence like lasagna.

So clever.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM #1086
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OBEY. View Post
Real G's move in silence like lasagna.

So clever.
followed by him rhyming ***** with ***** 40 times in a row
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM #1087
giants57

Idk what the hell is wrong with me. I'm doing great in school, mid-semester grades are out and I have a 3.8...but I'm just so damn depressed lately. I'm really involved around campus and what not, have tons of friends around, etc. For whatever reason though for the past week I've hit a wall and really been in the dumps. I'm going home next weekend to visit. It's just a strange feeling, idk what to do it's a mixture of feelings I guess. I always put a lot of pressure on myself to do well, and I kind of miss home, and a situation that I left home on bad terms with (not by choice) that really effects me has been coming up again in my life for whatever reason. Anyone ever feel like this during college? (inb4ugaybro?)
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

"Originally posted by Ly$ol: Sometimes I feel bad when I lead a ***** on, but hey it's a numbers game."
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 PM #1088
Ninja Mouse
Team Aircraft Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by giants57 View Post
Idk what the hell is wrong with me. I'm doing great in school, mid-semester grades are out and I have a 3.8...but I'm just so damn depressed lately. I'm really involved around campus and what not, have tons of friends around, etc. For whatever reason though for the past week I've hit a wall and really been in the dumps. I'm going home next weekend to visit. It's just a strange feeling, idk what to do it's a mixture of feelings I guess. I always put a lot of pressure on myself to do well, and I kind of miss home, and a situation that I left home on bad terms with (not by choice) that really effects me has been coming up again in my life for whatever reason. Anyone ever feel like this during college? (inb4ugaybro?)
Sounds like you just realized you go to West Virginia.

Sauce
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM #1089
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
No ******, you're wrong.

Lil' Wayne's a ******

wow beta ******
BEST

i donno but i laughed hard at this
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM #1090
FL07
On High Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule

No, that's just showing how complex or how simple it is. Which is It the same as good or bad.

Look at modern design vs classical. The classical stuff is much more complex. But some people prefer modern. Which is fine, because it's preference and therefore subjective.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM #1091
tater_salad (Banned)

Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM #1092
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Again, you are wrong. What sounds good to you does not mean it will sound good to anyone else. Even the technical "standards" are 100% subjective.

This isn't engineering. Music, food, etc. are not exact sciences. There is no perfect formula, no right way to do it. You are creating something that people will enjoy, or not enjoy.
Did you even read the post you quoted or did you just write up some stock reply?

as I stated, enjoyability doesn't equate quality. To state measure of technical standard is still totally subjective is pure ignorance. Writer A uses more words and more complex words than writer B. This is quanitfiable, objective measurement of the two artists.

While there is no exact formula, there are guidelines that have been established and there is a method which will more regularly produce positive results. Otherwise people wouldn't clamor for places like Juliard and Berklee to perfect their craft.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Closed Thread