Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM #1
SamareI

Best rules for an outlaw woodsball field

After reading the things i hate about woodsball thread I was wondering what the optimal rules for FUN rec ball would be.

Gun hits cont or no?
Mercy or no?
Etc....
SamareI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2012, 05:42 PM #2
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

-Everyone chronos at the beginning of the day.
-Gun hits count
-No mercy rule (all adult games)
-uncapped semi only
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:23 PM #3
davito

We play mostly adults. Small groups of 6-20 players. We play head and torso shots only. All others are meaningless. Makes it more challenging, games last longer etc.
davito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 PM #4
m3d1cman

I started out only playing outlaw woods ball. Just find a place in the hills. Get land owners permission. Under 20 people is usually easier to control. Have a chrono. And keep it under 300 fps. All hits count. 1 hit maybe a return to base 3 hit game. Capture the flag or elimination. Never played with mercy rules.
m3d1cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 PM #5
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports our troops
Outlaw field rules really were dependent on the type of game played, back when we ran an outlaw field. The only consistent rules were that you had to chrono below 300, wear your masks at all times when guns were being carried and honor the Honor System. After that, it was just rules for games...

We used to play a game we called Iron Man (we called it that because after all the moving in and out of the field made ya tired, and you had to be "Iron Men" to play it, lol!)

All hits count - guns, legs, arms, head, nuts, etc.....when you got hit, you went to a designated spot, marked a tally mark on the other team, then inserted at base again. Game went on for a certain amount of time, sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes 45 minutes, sometimes an hour. The winner was the team that had the fewest marks. Worked on the honor system, obviously.

1. Chrono under 300 fps.
2. Bunkering allowed, but no obvious overshooting.
3. Honor system rules, call all hits, call for paint checks, etc.
4. Masks down at all times on the playing field and within 100 feet of the field.

Other fun games we played on our outlaw field - capture the flag, defend the base (base could be where ever the defending team wanted it - offensive team had to find it first), Blackhawk Down (similar to defend the base), Defend the President (One guy was president without a marker. The rest of the team had to defend him as the moved from one end of the field to a designated spot on the other end of the field without the President getting shot. Its a lot more difficult than you would think!)

Another one was Hunter and Hares. A small group, 2-3, were the Hares. The Hunters had to go out, find the Hares and get them. If the Hares shot the Hunters, the Hunters became Hares. If the Hunters shot the Hares, they just went out. The winner is the team that is left.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 AM #6
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Lets see if I can remember what we used to do.

Masks off, everyone covers their barrel.
Barrel uncovered, everyone wears a mask.
No exception. Ever.

Everyone chronos. Best that day of course, but chronoing at a lower speed (say 270) at a pro-shop, archery shop, or field before arriving was better than not chronoing at all. A newly acquired gun, or recently modified/disassembled gun, that's never seen a chrono is a no go. At the time a simple to use inexpensive chrono didn't exist, these days have everyone chip in a few bucks and pick up a hand held unit.

We did a hard 20 foot rule. No bunkering, no surrender, just simply don't advance closer than 20 feet or so. And if you did, back up to 20 feet before firing (makes a heck of a impromptu quick draw game in the middle of a larger game). We got projectile devices, they got range. If we want to reach out and physically touch the other player we'd be playing freeze tag, not paintball.

Games were whatever anyone could think up on the spot. Didn't like the last game? Then you think up the next. And spouting off the same old game over and over would get you overruled by the group.

One unspoken rule we had was the "don't outpace the group" rule. If everyone is using gear picked up at walmart, you'd better have one of those guns in your bag when you showed up. If everyone is playing hopper ball and going through 500 rounds an outing it would be impolite to show up with a pack and a case. You didn't just get a new gun, you first talked about how you'd like a new gun with everyone else. Ideally everyone else would go "good idea, I could use a new gun too", and everyone would upgrade together, though you may have to wait a bit longer.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM #7
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Let's see...
-Depending on your environment (rocky, open, deep forest, arctic, jungle, etc...) you can adjust your hit rules. I played in deep, deep woods, so we played any hit counts, break or not. I currently play breaks, as I play in fairly open pine forest, so it's easy to see each other.
-Chronoing is a must.
-We play bunkering as an option, but it's one we typically hold in reserve because of the obvious pain value. If you wouldn't like to get shot at five feet, don't shoot someone else that close.
-Barrel covers are a VERY strictly enforced rule with us. We're all shooters, so you won't find us pointing our markers at each other or walking with the safety off, fingers on the trigger, etc., but it's always a good idea to have your barrel plug, cover, or other stopping device.
-Masks need to be worn always.
-I like Fubarius's idea of outpacing the group. If you have five guys with Tippmanns and one with a RaceGun, that's not going to work so well. On the other hand, if you have the five guys with G6Rs and one with a Spyder, you may need to step it down a notch. Typically, if someone has a much better gun, we have them lower their cap to around 8. This makes it fair, as that's about how fast a typical mech can shoot.

As for game ideas, we play either capture-the-flag or deathmatch. We never really liked VIP or zombie, but...
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 AM #8
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
1. Chrono under 300 fps.
2. Bunkering allowed, but no obvious overshooting.
3. Honor system rules, call all hits, call for paint checks, etc.
4. Masks down at all times on the playing field and within 100 feet of the field.
Perfect. I would like to add don't leave your starting box before the end of the countdown, but I have found that there is no way to control that. I solve this by only looking at the other team, if it is possible. When I see someone run, that is my go. So if there is a complaint that I started early, I'll say, "I knew you would say this, that is why I only left the starting box after I saw YOUR team leave the starting box." Sometimes I stay; however, when the opposing team starts at 3 instead of close to 1. I have seen some people take off at "READY!"
"Really guy? Cmon."

As a frontman it is absolutely critical that I move at the same time the other team moves. Otherwise I won't make it to my primary bunker. If there is no starting box, you might as well not have a frontman. Too many advanced frontman tactics have to be written off. I might as well be a mid.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 09-19-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Subterfuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 PM #9
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
You need one person in charge of chronoing, to make sure every gun is done. I set mine at 280 or less. Because in the morning when starting it is cooler, and as the day heats up your fps will increase. So if you start at 300 and it goes up while playing... It is at dangerous speeds.

We play all hits count at Trails of Doom, gun hits included, and even bounces. This eliminates the need for refs, as that shot in the back got you out, regardless if it "broke" or not. Besides, outlaw by definition is players bringing their own paint, and when that happens you will have guys bringing cheap paint from Wal-mart that you don't want them shooting until one breaks...

If you pick up something on the field to act as a shield, and someone hits that shield you are holding, you are out.

We use air horns, as the "flag" once you touch the horn, the game is over, then they sound the horn, so everyone within a mile can hear the horn going off ending the game.

There is no "safe" area so masks on ALL the time. If you are going to take your mask off between games, you better have another mask, or safety goggles to put on.

We use walkie talkies as our camps are so far apart, you can't see from one camp to the other, so we countdown on the walkies, and one side or the other sounds the air horn to start the game, as long as you are near the horn when it starts you are good.

We play 10 feet no shooting rule, all a player has to do is call you out if they get that close, no spin and shoot at them...

If you are out and your arm isn't up, you will be shot again.

If you are dead, you can't talk, you can stay where you are to watch the action, (with your arm up) and other players can use you to hide behind, but you are allowed to hit the dirt at any time if you want. Just no talking or pointing.

We play a ton of different games, from scenarios, to regular capture the flag, to protect the president, to fieldball, to revolutionary war, and on and on.

One game we play that is really fun, is a trail game we play. We have this big trail that connects both camps. The game is whoever sounds the OTHER teams horn wins. But, you can only go 10 feet from the edge of the trail max. So everyone will end up crossing past each other at 20 feet or less. Very fun, and stressful game. Lots of hiding, and big firefights.

If we have less than 16 total players, we use medics, who can bring you back in if you are out with a regular shot (headshots kill you for the whole game and you can't come back).. but, they can only bring you back 2 times. (you get a marking on your band showing how many times you've been revived.).

But, we haven't used medics in years as we always have way more than 16 players...

Woodsball games that last too long are boring, so you really need to set them up so they last 5-10 minutes max. Any longer than that, and the guys who get shot out quick are BORED in the deadbox...

Watch my videos to see tons of our games.

No gun restrictions, shoot what you want, but be nice, and treat others like you would like to be treated.

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 PM #10
Old Skool Melo

I'm an Old Skooler, i like the 285 rule, and no Bunkering.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 PM #11
Oonlo
STOP DONT TOUCH ME THERE

Oonlo is playing at Living Legends V
Oonlo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Oonlo supports Pev's Paintball
Oonlo has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Oonlo is attending Decay of Nations VI
mask on when sleaves are off and chrono under 300

From all us pump players... Ramping is unnecessary i can kill you with one shot... On the other hand YOU need 100

★☆ If your parents DONT pay for your PB stuff, put this in your Sig ☆★
Oonlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 PM #12
Oonlo
STOP DONT TOUCH ME THERE

Oonlo is playing at Living Legends V
Oonlo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Oonlo supports Pev's Paintball
Oonlo has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Oonlo is attending Decay of Nations VI
oh and respawns allowed of course

From all us pump players... Ramping is unnecessary i can kill you with one shot... On the other hand YOU need 100

★☆ If your parents DONT pay for your PB stuff, put this in your Sig ☆★
Oonlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 AM #13
DaveA

When we played a lot of outlaw we kept the rules very close to the regular field rules. The considerations were that IF there ever was an accident, we wanted the rules to be the safest possible ones so that NO-ONE would feel that there was any undue safety issues, and thus everyone could agree that no litigation would ever be brought about because of any inherent unsafe behavior etc. Thus everyone always chronoed and used barrel bags. No-one shot in the staging area, and goggles on etc during games.
But also, we made the rules such that it was easy to play honorably with, such as ALL hits counted if the ball breaks. Anything less is cheating. Gun hits etc count because if you allow for exceptions to the rules, you allow for fudging the rules. A handshot suddenly becomes part of a gun shot...
Also with All hits counting, skill levels increase as players learn how to use cover.
We frowned heavily on bunkering because we were (and are) all friends, and typically in a bunkering or a run-through, the attacked may get shot sometime during his move, but being all amped up he may keep going and shoot someone when he's already got paint on him. This can lead to unhappy players arguing about who shot who first.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 AM #14
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Oh, and once guys start leaving at the end of the day, a few will always want to play "just a few more" so that is a great time to do some revolutionary war. One shot per round, and you can't move once you say "fire".

Ready, aim, FIRE.

Any hit counts, and you can stand, kneel or lay down, but if you kneel or lay down, you have to switch each round. You can stand all the time if you want to.

Here is a little teaser video I made last night from our games on Saturday at my private field.

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM #15
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Gee, how did I know there was a video coming?
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM #16
reshafer

reshafer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
reshafer is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Gee, how did I know there was a video coming?
I was thinking the same thing as I read down the thread

I think the only rule we had back when we played was no bunkering
We didnt even think about chronoing anything, most of us had 98c's with the velo screw turned as far out as it could go

For ctf, if you were hit, go back to your flag to respawn, if it was a deathmatch, you were hit, you're out.

Only mask rule was have it on in game when you're shooting/getting shot at

if we were in the loading area, and you decided you shoot someone in the ***, completely expect to get lit up or run home really fast
reshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM #17
reshafer

reshafer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
reshafer is attending Decay of Nations VII
[quote=FreeEnterprise;76876422]Oh, and once guys start leaving at the end of the day, a few will always want to play "just a few more" so that is a great time to do some revolutionary war. One shot per round, and you can't move once you say "fire".

Ready, aim, FIRE.

Any hit counts, and you can stand, kneel or lay down, but if you kneel or lay down, you have to switch each round. You can stand all the time if you want to.

Here is a little teaser video I made last night from our games on Saturday at my private field.

I really wish I hadnt just wasted time to hit play on that, I dont care that you can zoom in a camera, when you zoom in, the picture sucks anyways.

go away
reshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM #18
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

HOUSE & SAFETY RULES, RELEASE & WAIVER OF LIABILITY ------ DATE: _______________________________________

HOUSE RULES: This is not a business. There is nothing to buy here. Furthermore, the buying or selling of anything on this property is prohibited. -----This is PRIVATE PROPERTY and is not open to the public for any reason. Only the personal friends of the property owners are allowed to be on this property and then only by invitation. Furthermore, the property owners and their guests do not have insurance for your protection; therefore, you are responsible for you own injuries regardless of their cause. If you are not an invited guest, or fail to understand and agree to these house rules you are now TRESPASSING and must leave IMMEDIATELY.

SAFETY RULES: Please keep your target shooting to a minimum. ------- 280 fps max / 6 bps max / SEMI only - Chronograph your gun before you play before every game. ------ Please curb bad language around children. ------ Keep your goggles on while on the playing field. ------- Plug your marker between games. Please use bright colored plugs and sleeves. -------- All hits count. If the ball breaks on you or your equipment, you are out. ------- If you drink alcohol, you are done playing for the day. ------- If you have an issue with anything please quietly bring it the property owner OFF the playing field between games. If you display unsafe, rude, or unsportsmanlike conduct you may be asked to leave and loose your invitation, permanently.

By signing this form I agree that I have read, understand and agree to these HOUSE RULES & SAFETY as described above.

RELEASE: Furthermore, I UNDERSTAND that the activities I am about to voluntarily engage in as a participant have certain risks. I UNDERSTAND that these risks, known or unknown, anticipated or unanticipated, may result in injury, death, illness, disease or damage to myself, my property, or other third parties. I VOLUNTARILY ACCEPT AND ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY for injuries, death, illness, disease or damage to myself, my property or other third parties arising from participating in this activity. My participation in this activity is voluntary and no one is forcing me to participate in spite of the risks. I UNDERSTAND the effect of this waiver and acceptance of risk on my legal rights. Furthermore, I HEREBY RELEASE, DISCHARGE, and COVENANT NOT TO SUE THE OWNERS OF THE PROPERTY and THEIR INVITED GUESTS on the property from all liability, claims, demands, losses, or damages on my account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the RELEASEES or otherwise, including negligent rescue operations, and I furthermore agree that if, despite this release, waiver of liability, and assumption of risk I, or anyone on my behalf, makes a claim against any of the RELEASEES, I will INDEMNIFY, save and hold harmless each of the RELEASEES from any loss, liability, damage or cost which may incur as the result of such claim. I have read this agreement and I understand that I have given up substantial rights by signing it and have signed it freely and without any inducement, or assurance of any nature and intend it to be a complete and UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF LIABILITY to the greatest extent allowed by law and I agree that if any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid the balance, notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and effect.