Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 PM #22
DERKA003
DerkaDerka mohamidjeehad!
 
DERKA003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada,Ontario
I am fully aware that Audi makes the better interior, but its always good to hear the pros and cons. & I have done some research about this, and have heard about looking for the sport package 1.8's if your planning mods. I have been keeping my eye out for one. I figured that this would be one of the best ways to find out what's up, rather than try and figure the details out solo. So far everyone's helped a lot.
__________________
Gamertag DERKA003..

ROckIN A SMART PARTS SHOCKER NXT

WHY GIRLS SHOULD DATE A PB PLAYER: 1.WE KNOW HOW TO GET DOWN AND DIRTY. 2.WE ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION. 3.WE HAVE AT LEAST A 14 INCH BARREL. 4.WE HAVE EXTREMELY FAST FINGERS. 5.WE KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. 6.WE CAN FIT INTO TIGHT SPOTS. 7.WE LOVE TO BE AGGRESSIVE. 8.WE NEVER FORGET TO LUBE OUR PRODUCTS. 9.MONEY IS NO LIMIT. 10. A CONDOM IS A MUST
DERKA003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 PM #23
AntiHeightPunk (Banned)
 
 
AntiHeightPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palm Harbor FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
God you're ignorant.
do tell explain to me what is ignorant
AntiHeightPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 PM #24
DERKA003
DerkaDerka mohamidjeehad!
 
DERKA003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada,Ontario
& common guys lol. I'm not looking at an Audi so I can say that I own an AUDI. If you know another AWD car that is in that price range etc feel free to let me know, I'm just leaning towards those two because they're the nicest and most appealing for what I'm looking for that I've seen so far. So settle down lol.
__________________
Gamertag DERKA003..

ROckIN A SMART PARTS SHOCKER NXT

WHY GIRLS SHOULD DATE A PB PLAYER: 1.WE KNOW HOW TO GET DOWN AND DIRTY. 2.WE ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION. 3.WE HAVE AT LEAST A 14 INCH BARREL. 4.WE HAVE EXTREMELY FAST FINGERS. 5.WE KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. 6.WE CAN FIT INTO TIGHT SPOTS. 7.WE LOVE TO BE AGGRESSIVE. 8.WE NEVER FORGET TO LUBE OUR PRODUCTS. 9.MONEY IS NO LIMIT. 10. A CONDOM IS A MUST
DERKA003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 PM #25
peacob
 
 
peacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
Not mad at all.

I have never seen you posted anything besides LOL AUDI IS BEST LOL

Don't try and tell me that you honestly think that a 10 year old audi is a more reliable and economic car than a Subaru.
1. Find any post of mine where i say Audi is best? Do you have ****ing down syndrome? If people are talking about an audi, sure, i get into the convo. The ONLY other time i've said i'd choose an audi over another car is when i said i'd take a b5 a4 to a ****box civic ek. Is there a problem with my opinion?

2. Where are your facts an info that your late 90s subaru RS is more reliable and economic than a 1.8t audi? Thats a ridiculous statement because there are SO many things to factor into this.

You're just starting **** to start ****. Seriously, just stop.
__________________
LuxeMob
EgoMafia

Last edited by peacob : 09-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 PM #26
peacob
 
 
peacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHeightPunk View Post
do tell explain to me what is ignorant
Do tell me how subaru owners are so much cooler and how audi owners are douches.... oh wait, you cant. Ignorant.

Try and tell me "audi owners think they're so cool".... Oh really, and subaru owners dont?

Seriously, bringing the "X type car owner is so much gayer than Y type car owner" mentality into this thread is ****ing retarded.
You provided no substance this thread, just stereotypical bull**** that every ignorant car owner says about another. Grow up.
__________________
LuxeMob
EgoMafia
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 PM #27
peacob
 
 
peacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERKA003 View Post
& common guys lol. I'm not looking at an Audi so I can say that I own an AUDI. If you know another AWD car that is in that price range etc feel free to let me know, I'm just leaning towards those two because they're the nicest and most appealing for what I'm looking for that I've seen so far. So settle down lol.
Well, you can go off of Antivaginapunk's logical info and not buy an audi so that you immediately dont turn into a douche..... OR you can gather all types of information about each car and make a educated decision on what is better for you in the long run. (which is what i'm assuming you're going to do)

In the end, whatever car you buy, you're going to run into problems... I dont care if anyone here thinks that the subaru is going to last you longer or be more reliable... at the end of the day, it mostly matters who owned the car before you and how they treated/maintained the car.

You're set on AWD, so us giving you many other good choices isnt really going to happen... Its arguable who has the better AWD system, but Audi and Subaru are def in the top of the list.

Now, IF IT WAS ME.... and this is not a "OMG AUDI OVER ALL" type response... but if it was me, i'd take an audi or bmw x-drive over a subaru because in the end, with your budget, i assume you arent going to immediately get the car and have the funds to start throwing money into modifications. So if you're looking to get a car that will comfortably drive you to school and back and possibly go out on occasion, i'm going to take the car with a hands down nicer interior.

If i was going to buy a car under 30k and immediately drop ton of money into modding it, then yeah, i'd probably buy a 335 or STi or maybe an older b5 s4 and mod the **** out of it. But if i'm looking for something on the cheap and can still give me the luxury feel while still having potential down the road to mod it... Then i'd take the quattro a4 all day.

But again, i'll probably end up somehow getting flak from Supra about this post. Go figure.
__________________
LuxeMob
EgoMafia

Last edited by peacob : 09-22-2012 at 07:07 PM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 PM #28
AntiHeightPunk (Banned)
 
 
AntiHeightPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palm Harbor FL
lulz he is a college student get a simple car to get to class
AntiHeightPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM #29
SmallBaller712
XBL - WookyMonster
 
SmallBaller712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West County Stl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERKA003 View Post
& common guys lol. I'm not looking at an Audi so I can say that I own an AUDI. If you know another AWD car that is in that price range etc feel free to let me know, I'm just leaning towards those two because they're the nicest and most appealing for what I'm looking for that I've seen so far. So settle down lol.
You came into a forum with very loyal audi and subaru fan bases, then asked a question that pitted them against each other. You brought this on yourself...

Having said that... I had a 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro automatic and a 2004 Subaru Baja Turbo 5 speed. Despite being 5 years older, the Audi was much much much better IMO. Subarus, although they handle well, are quick, and reliable, they are cheaper and most definitely feel that way. There was a lot more road noise in my subaru and many little rattles from loose interior pieces. To be honest, I didnt really have much go wrong with my A4 either in the 2 years I owned it. Just a broken belt tensioner and a leaky valve cover gasket. It had 140k miles on it, though, so issues like that can be expected with any car.
__________________
Originally Posted by perfectpixie2005..."I'd suck to do alot of work to an Fbody."

Originally Posted by Alan777..."Sunny and Wilfred are my fags."
SmallBaller712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM #30
Ti_G
Wait, what ?
 
Ti_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Ti_G owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
If it's just a cheap reliable AWD commuter you want, take a look at the Suzuki SX4.
Ti_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 PM #31
peacob
 
 
peacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHeightPunk View Post
lulz he is a college student get a simple car to get to class
They are both simple and reliable cars if taken care of properly.

To me, it comes down to appearance of interior and out. The audi will be nicer inside/out, about the same hp/tq (165/166 for RS and 170/166 for a4), same gas mileage, same handling if the audi has the sport package... Its really one of those things that it comes down to just going out and test driving either car and then getting it inspected by a tech to make sure the car is sound.
__________________
LuxeMob
EgoMafia
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 PM #32
AntiHeightPunk (Banned)
 
 
AntiHeightPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palm Harbor FL
I think the logic most are using is that the Subie going to be in better condition than the Audi. I don't understand how we are talking about cars that are in the 30 range when he is in the sub 10k range.
Also i don't think older Audi's made a good platform to mod at all but what do i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
They are both simple and reliable cars if taken care of properly.

To me, it comes down to appearance of interior and out. The audi will be nicer inside/out, about the same hp/tq (165/166 for RS and 170/166 for a4), same gas mileage, same handling if the audi has the sport package... Its really one of those things that it comes down to just going out and test driving either car and then getting it inspected by a tech to make sure the car is sound.
Do you really think the Audi is going to be as reliable or the cost of ownership the same as an older Subaru
AntiHeightPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 PM #33
DERKA003
DerkaDerka mohamidjeehad!
 
DERKA003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada,Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallBaller712

You came into a forum with very loyal audi and subaru fan bases, then asked a question that pitted them against each other. You brought this on yourself...

Having said that... I had a 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro automatic and a 2004 Subaru Baja Turbo 5 speed. Despite being 5 years older, the Audi was much much much better IMO. Subarus, although they handle well, are quick, and reliable, they are cheaper and most definitely feel that way. There was a lot more road noise in my subaru and many little rattles from loose interior pieces. To be honest, I didnt really have much go wrong with my A4 either in the 2 years I owned it. Just a broken belt tensioner and a leaky valve cover gasket. It had 140k miles on it, though, so issues like that can be expected with any car.
I posted in this forum because I know that they're is a large amount of people that have good information for first time buyers of ANY make. I didn't intentionally pose the question to bring about drama between Subaru/Audi. & ^ I was simply trying to re route the conversation back to the reason I posted. But I understand where your coming from.
__________________
Gamertag DERKA003..

ROckIN A SMART PARTS SHOCKER NXT

WHY GIRLS SHOULD DATE A PB PLAYER: 1.WE KNOW HOW TO GET DOWN AND DIRTY. 2.WE ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION. 3.WE HAVE AT LEAST A 14 INCH BARREL. 4.WE HAVE EXTREMELY FAST FINGERS. 5.WE KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. 6.WE CAN FIT INTO TIGHT SPOTS. 7.WE LOVE TO BE AGGRESSIVE. 8.WE NEVER FORGET TO LUBE OUR PRODUCTS. 9.MONEY IS NO LIMIT. 10. A CONDOM IS A MUST
DERKA003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 PM #34
Ti_G
Wait, what ?
 
Ti_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Ti_G owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Did I say 2008 Suzuki SX4. I'll repeat myself just to be sure. Just check the GTA kijiji, you could get a 2008 with a third of the mileage of either the Subaru or the Audi for the same price. Not to mention cost of ownership will be alot less. Will go where you want, when you want too. While slow, they handle better than most econoboxes.
Ti_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM #35
peacob
 
 
peacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHeightPunk View Post
I think the logic most are using is that the Subie going to be in better condition than the Audi. I don't understand how we are talking about cars that are in the 30 range when he is in the sub 10k range.
Also i don't think older Audi's made a good platform to mod at all but what do i know.



Do you really think the Audi is going to be as reliable or the cost of ownership the same as an older Subaru
The only reason i brought up the 30k price range was to show Supra that there are other cars than just Audis that i seriously appreciate. And to get the point across that if hes buying a car on a budget, that getting one that has a nicer interior or quality feel will be beneficial because hes going to be sitting in it for a while until he decides to mod the car. I'd buy an older subie if i was planning to immediately drop some money into the car and make it faster and upgrade some of the interior tid bits... but if i was buying a car to sit on for a year or two before i upgrade it... i'd get one that has a nicer interior, simply because i'm the one that is sitting in the thing majority of the time.

As for the reliability and cost of ownership thing... As i said, its really hard to judge this.

Smallballer said it perfectly. "It had 140k miles on it, though, so issues like that can be expected with any car."

One can argue all day that an older subie will be more reliable... but i'm a firm believer that its just too hard to justify that claim. So many factors come into play when we are talking about a 120k+ mileage car. Who owned it last? How well was it taken care of? How hard was it driven?

A big point i try to make on a few car forums is that people always bring up how reliable old jap cars are and how they are good cars to buy if you want to mod one out. Well, stop and think about who most likely bought the car new and who drove it for most of its early life. Most likely, some parent, or kid that doesnt give two ****s about cars and drove it like a grandma.... then they went to sell it for cheap and a tuner fanatic bought it and put tons of money into it... Obviously that car is going to hold up better than others. So when you hear, "oh dont buy an s4 or a e46 m3, they are notorious for problems."... welll... no ****, because the owners bought them as a sports car so i'm sure they drove them decently hard.

Again, this is HIGHLY arguable/debatable... but i'm just having you think about this in regards to trying to say one car is more reliable than another.

The older audis weren't anything to write home about, but they werent terrible either.

I feel like regardless if you buy the Subie or the Audi, if you get it from the right person and have them fully inspected and make sure the carfax is clean, they will both be a solid choice in terms of reliability. But again, as Smallballer said, at that kind of mileage, problems can be expected and can happen to anyone or any car.

As for cost of ownership... sure, if you are taking the audi to the dealer, then yeah i can see it costing an arm or a leg. I try and do most of my own work and it pays off.. the things i cant do, i take to an indie euro shop thats local to me and charges a little less than the dealer would. In the end, if you can get a VAG-COM and find out whats going on yourself, and then order the parts online from places like ECS or through group-buys, and then pay for just the labor, then that right there is saving you tons of money.
__________________
LuxeMob
EgoMafia

Last edited by peacob : 09-22-2012 at 08:06 PM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 PM #36
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-
 
Rampager2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Texas
Let's understand that a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro (AWD has to be a Quattro) with Cold Weather and Sport, on KBB, is 7700. You want to compare interiors of cars? Then compare like years, because a 1999 Subaru vs. a 2004 Audi is nowhere near close. I have personally seen 04 WRXs going for 7500/8000, so let's compare to two, shall we? (And all this is irrelevant, because he said he wants a 1999ish car)


vs.


Not so far apart anymore, especially when you consider the WRX has a much better looking head unit/air control area.

But let's compare the cars the OP actually asked for, shall we?


vs.


Wait a second, what's this, the Audi doesn't have an incredibly nicer interior per year??

Blasphemy!

My vote is still for the RS. But it most also be understood I love Audis, and if I could get my hands on one for a good deal, you can bet your *** I would. I just love the way RS' look, and I know what can be done with them.

Based off of Edmunds, the 1999 1.8t makes 150hp while the Subaru makes 165. So, not only is the Subaru lighter, it also makes 15 more horsepower from the factory.

Peacob, when you can make an argument based on what OP is asking for, please, come again.
__________________
Steam: N-Ur-Face
I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
Maktub

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 PM #37
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
Let's understand that a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro (AWD has to be a Quattro) with Cold Weather and Sport, on KBB, is 7700. You want to compare interiors of cars? Then compare like years, because a 1999 Subaru vs. a 2004 Audi is nowhere near close. I have personally seen 04 WRXs going for 7500/8000, so let's compare to two, shall we? (And all this is irrelevant, because he said he wants a 1999ish car)

[IMG]http://image.modified.com/f/17344294+w750+st0/0305_10z+2004_subaru_wrx_sti+dashboard_view.jpg[/I MG]
vs.
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img402/3407/31430730014large.jpg[/I MG]

Not so far apart anymore, especially when you consider the WRX has a much better looking head unit/air control area.

But let's compare the cars the OP actually asked for, shall we?

[IMG]http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m550/PHDickerson/P4190640.jpg[/IM G]
vs.
[IMG]http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/12/14/04/12/1999_audi_a4_4_dr_1_8t_quattro_turbo_awd_sedan-pic-5918464416754031475.jpeg[/IM G]

Wait a second, what's this, the Audi doesn't have an incredibly nicer interior per year??

Blasphemy!

My vote is still for the RS. But it most also be understood I love Audis, and if I could get my hands on one for a good deal, you can bet your *** I would. I just love the way RS' look, and I know what can be done with them.

Based off of Edmunds, the 1999 1.8t makes 150hp while the Subaru makes 165. So, not only is the Subaru lighter, it also makes 15 more horsepower from the factory.

Peacob, when you can make an argument based on what OP is asking for, please, come again.
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:37 PM #38
Matt H
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Annual Supporting Member
Matt H is a Supporting Member
Matt H is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Matt H is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
Hence why i said, "spend the extra money". It also depends on your location. I can find a lot cheaper A4's in my area as opposed to further east or in California.

If you have ANY plans to mod or upgrade a car, then you should never let another grand or 2 keep you from what would later on be a better option for you. Does that mean waiting another month or two to buy the car? Sure, but in the end it'll save him money down the road because if he does get the mod-bug, he'll want to do those upgrades anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
Wow. I could say the same for the audi interior too, because in the end, i dont know jack **** about who owned it and how well it was taken care of. Dont make ridiculous comments like that, you just look stupid.

I know those subies have their interior problems too, so dont act like its so much more superior.

All i posted was two pictures, one showing each interior, i'm sorry you got butthurt because its obvious how much nicer Audi interior looks. How am i acting like its not common knowledge? I'm just posting the difference to someone thats actually considering each car. I'm giving him a fair observation of each interior. Cry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
God you're ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
Great statement, provides so much info.

Way to bring the typical douche mentality of "my car is so much cooler than his" into this thread. Grow the **** up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
Nut hugger?

He wants a car to go from school to back.... i'm sorry if having a nicer interior is more important to me. Hes the one sitting in the thing for however long it takes to get there and back.

If he said, "nissan gt-r vs audi s4", there would be no question i'd take the GTR....

UMADBRO?

Clearly me having plenty of experience with the car hes looking into must mean if i try and give him all the info i can on it makes me a "nut hugger"... Stop being a petty little child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
1. Find any post of mine where i say Audi is best? Do you have ****ing down syndrome? If people are talking about an audi, sure, i get into the convo. The ONLY other time i've said i'd choose an audi over another car is when i said i'd take a b5 a4 to a ****box civic ek. Is there a problem with my opinion?

2. Where are your facts an info that your late 90s subaru RS is more reliable and economic than a 1.8t audi? Thats a ridiculous statement because there are SO many things to factor into this.

You're just starting **** to start ****. Seriously, just stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
Do tell me how subaru owners are so much cooler and how audi owners are douches.... oh wait, you cant. Ignorant.

Try and tell me "audi owners think they're so cool".... Oh really, and subaru owners dont?

Seriously, bringing the "X type car owner is so much gayer than Y type car owner" mentality into this thread is ****ing retarded.
You provided no substance this thread, just stereotypical bull**** that every ignorant car owner says about another. Grow up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
Well, you can go off of Antivaginapunk's logical info and not buy an audi so that you immediately dont turn into a douche..... OR you can gather all types of information about each car and make a educated decision on what is better for you in the long run. (which is what i'm assuming you're going to do)

In the end, whatever car you buy, you're going to run into problems... I dont care if anyone here thinks that the subaru is going to last you longer or be more reliable... at the end of the day, it mostly matters who owned the car before you and how they treated/maintained the car.

You're set on AWD, so us giving you many other good choices isnt really going to happen... Its arguable who has the better AWD system, but Audi and Subaru are def in the top of the list.

Now, IF IT WAS ME.... and this is not a "OMG AUDI OVER ALL" type response... but if it was me, i'd take an audi or bmw x-drive over a subaru because in the end, with your budget, i assume you arent going to immediately get the car and have the funds to start throwing money into modifications. So if you're looking to get a car that will comfortably drive you to school and back and possibly go out on occasion, i'm going to take the car with a hands down nicer interior.

If i was going to buy a car under 30k and immediately drop ton of money into modding it, then yeah, i'd probably buy a 335 or STi or maybe an older b5 s4 and mod the **** out of it. But if i'm looking for something on the cheap and can still give me the luxury feel while still having potential down the road to mod it... Then i'd take the quattro a4 all day.

But again, i'll probably end up somehow getting flak from Supra about this post. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
They are both simple and reliable cars if taken care of properly.

To me, it comes down to appearance of interior and out. The audi will be nicer inside/out, about the same hp/tq (165/166 for RS and 170/166 for a4), same gas mileage, same handling if the audi has the sport package... Its really one of those things that it comes down to just going out and test driving either car and then getting it inspected by a tech to make sure the car is sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
The only reason i brought up the 30k price range was to show Supra that there are other cars than just Audis that i seriously appreciate. And to get the point across that if hes buying a car on a budget, that getting one that has a nicer interior or quality feel will be beneficial because hes going to be sitting in it for a while until he decides to mod the car. I'd buy an older subie if i was planning to immediately drop some money into the car and make it faster and upgrade some of the interior tid bits... but if i was buying a car to sit on for a year or two before i upgrade it... i'd get one that has a nicer interior, simply because i'm the one that is sitting in the thing majority of the time.

As for the reliability and cost of ownership thing... As i said, its really hard to judge this.

Smallballer said it perfectly. "It had 140k miles on it, though, so issues like that can be expected with any car."

One can argue all day that an older subie will be more reliable... but i'm a firm believer that its just too hard to justify that claim. So many factors come into play when we are talking about a 120k+ mileage car. Who owned it last? How well was it taken care of? How hard was it driven?

A big point i try to make on a few car forums is that people always bring up how reliable old jap cars are and how they are good cars to buy if you want to mod one out. Well, stop and think about who most likely bought the car new and who drove it for most of its early life. Most likely, some parent, or kid that doesnt give two ****s about cars and drove it like a grandma.... then they went to sell it for cheap and a tuner fanatic bought it and put tons of money into it... Obviously that car is going to hold up better than others. So when you hear, "oh dont buy an s4 or a e46 m3, they are notorious for problems."... welll... no ****, because the owners bought them as a sports car so i'm sure they drove them decently hard.

Again, this is HIGHLY arguable/debatable... but i'm just having you think about this in regards to trying to say one car is more reliable than another.

The older audis weren't anything to write home about, but they werent terrible either.

I feel like regardless if you buy the Subie or the Audi, if you get it from the right person and have them fully inspected and make sure the carfax is clean, they will both be a solid choice in terms of reliability. But again, as Smallballer said, at that kind of mileage, problems can be expected and can happen to anyone or any car.

As for cost of ownership... sure, if you are taking the audi to the dealer, then yeah i can see it costing an arm or a leg. I try and do most of my own work and it pays off.. the things i cant do, i take to an indie euro shop thats local to me and charges a little less than the dealer would. In the end, if you can get a VAG-COM and find out whats going on yourself, and then order the parts online from places like ECS or through group-buys, and then pay for just the labor, then that right there is saving you tons of money.
Matt H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 PM #39
Matt H
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Annual Supporting Member
Matt H is a Supporting Member
Matt H is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Matt H is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Couldn't even quote all your comments.

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:

The text that you have entered is too long (10183 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long.
Matt H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 PM #40
peacob
 
 
peacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
Let's understand that a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro (AWD has to be a Quattro) with Cold Weather and Sport, on KBB, is 7700. You want to compare interiors of cars? Then compare like years, because a 1999 Subaru vs. a 2004 Audi is nowhere near close. I have personally seen 04 WRXs going for 7500/8000, so let's compare to two, shall we? (And all this is irrelevant, because he said he wants a 1999ish car)


vs.


Not so far apart anymore, especially when you consider the WRX has a much better looking head unit/air control area.

But let's compare the cars the OP actually asked for, shall we?


vs.


Wait a second, what's this, the Audi doesn't have an incredibly nicer interior per year??

Blasphemy!

My vote is still for the RS. But it most also be understood I love Audis, and if I could get my hands on one for a good deal, you can bet your *** I would. I just love the way RS' look, and I know what can be done with them.

Based off of Edmunds, the 1999 1.8t makes 150hp while the Subaru makes 165. So, not only is the Subaru lighter, it also makes 15 more horsepower from the factory.

Peacob, when you can make an argument based on what OP is asking for, please, come again.
1. I realize that there were newer editions to the interiors of the subie... but again, i quoted you're comment about how you were a big fan of those.. i was showing that difference.

2. He said up to 03 for either car. So, yes, the OP was also asking about a b6.

3. Way to pick one of the ****tiest looking b5 interiors i've ever seen.

4. If you really think the dash/climate control of the subie is nicer than thats your own prerogative. But twisty knobs for climate control vs dual LCD 1degree increment adjustments shouldnt even be an argument on what is nicer.


big difference from the pre-99 with garbage navigation picture you posted
__________________
LuxeMob
EgoMafia
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 PM #41
peacob
 
 
peacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H View Post
Couldn't even quote all your comments.

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:

The text that you have entered is too long (10183 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long.
Of course you didnt read my comments, it surpassed your brain capacity... All yo u can do is post information filled replies like "audis are for douches, subies are for cool people" "didnt read your comment lol".

Seriously, you dont bring anything knowledgeable to the table, just give up.

You're like one of these idiots i knew who tried to take a stab at my friend for taking 5 years to get a communications degree, when the kid himself was going on 7 years and had 20 credits to his name... Then of course when my friend said you dont have a leg to stand on, his first response was, "i'll beat your ***"... You're just an idiot that tries to jump in a convo with something stupid, and then when you get called out, you're only response is that you "didnt read lol". Pathetic. You and Supra MKIII should have babies together, it'd be quite interesting.
__________________
LuxeMob
EgoMafia

Last edited by peacob : 09-22-2012 at 08:48 PM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM #42
DERKA003
DerkaDerka mohamidjeehad!
 
DERKA003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada,Ontario
I appreciate the information that everyone's brought to this thread guys. It helps to hear the stuff each of you say about each car. I'm not buying the car tomorrow, i wanted to get the details and quality info you could only get from people who own one or the other before i went ahead and just picked one. Research is key, especially when you're throwing down a lot of money on something. There is definitely some new things for me to consider after reading some posts which is what i was hoping for when i created the thread.
__________________
Gamertag DERKA003..

ROckIN A SMART PARTS SHOCKER NXT

WHY GIRLS SHOULD DATE A PB PLAYER: 1.WE KNOW HOW TO GET DOWN AND DIRTY. 2.WE ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION. 3.WE HAVE AT LEAST A 14 INCH BARREL. 4.WE HAVE EXTREMELY FAST FINGERS. 5.WE KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. 6.WE CAN FIT INTO TIGHT SPOTS. 7.WE LOVE TO BE AGGRESSIVE. 8.WE NEVER FORGET TO LUBE OUR PRODUCTS. 9.MONEY IS NO LIMIT. 10. A CONDOM IS A MUST
DERKA003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump