PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-22-2012, 04:07 PM #1
DERKA003
DerkaDerka mohamidjeehad!

Arrow Audi 1.8T or Subaru 2.5rs ?

I'm looking to pick up a set of wheels and have been looking at some '99-'03 1.8t's, and roughly same year 2.5rs'.

Just curious as to whether there may be some reliability issues with certain years, or which would be considered the most well rounded. Since i don't know a whole lot about the 2, and there seems to be some similarities.

Looking for under $7'500, so i know they will have some miles on them, but it's just to commute from University and work for a few years. Most of them in that price range are between 100-170k.

Will most likely do some slight mods, nothing too intense.

AWD is key, because of the snow during the winter so that's why I'm leaning towards these 2 lol.

-- Also have found a few s4 2.7t and A6's for around the same price kms better than ^? --

Thanks for helpin out!

ROckIN A SMART PARTS SHOCKER NXT

WHY GIRLS SHOULD DATE A PB PLAYER: 1.WE KNOW HOW TO GET DOWN AND DIRTY. 2.WE ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION. 3.WE HAVE AT LEAST A 14 INCH BARREL. 4.WE HAVE EXTREMELY FAST FINGERS. 5.WE KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. 6.WE CAN FIT INTO TIGHT SPOTS. 7.WE LOVE TO BE AGGRESSIVE. 8.WE NEVER FORGET TO LUBE OUR PRODUCTS. 9.MONEY IS NO LIMIT. 10. A CONDOM IS A MUST

Last edited by DERKA003 : 09-22-2012 at 04:14 PM.
DERKA003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2012, 04:14 PM #2
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

The 2.5RS is going to handle better, where the A4 is going to make more power with a few basic mods.

Whatever you get, you should be happy with, just try and find one with low mileage that was taken care of. I don't know exactly how the market is in Canada, but in the US, $7500 will get you a very clean, fairly low mile A4. 2.5RS may be a bit harder to find, especially for a clean one.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 PM #3
banana hammock

get a wrx, you get the 2.5 (06+ and STi only pre 06 the wrx had a 2.0 turbo), better handling, and it's turbo charged.
banana hammock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:22 PM #4
DERKA003

I plan to baby the hell out of either. i've been saving since highschool for mostly university, but had some on the side still for when i decided to get a car. My friend has a 1.8t VW, and another has a 01 audi 1.8t and the only downfall is the fwd for me, so that's why i considered the Subie instead.

Thanks for the reply though!

WHY GIRLS SHOULD DATE A PB PLAYER: 1.WE KNOW HOW TO GET DOWN AND DIRTY. 2.WE ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION. 3.WE HAVE AT LEAST A 14 INCH BARREL. 4.WE HAVE EXTREMELY FAST FINGERS. 5.WE KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. 6.WE CAN FIT INTO TIGHT SPOTS. 7.WE LOVE TO BE AGGRESSIVE. 8.WE NEVER FORGET TO LUBE OUR PRODUCTS. 9.MONEY IS NO LIMIT. 10. A CONDOM IS A MUST
Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 PM #5
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERKA003 View Post
-- Also have found a few s4 2.7t and A6's for around the same price kms better than ^? --
Just saw this edit. I wouldn't buy an S4 with that budget, especially as a college kid.

It will be less reliable, use more gas, and be even more of a pain to work on. It's a more fun car, but you pay the price for that fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hammock View Post
get a wrx, you get the 2.5 (06+ and STi only pre 06 the wrx had a 2.0 turbo), better handling, and it's turbo charged.
If he gets a WRX, it's going to have to be a bugeye to fit in his budget. It's going to be less reliable than a 2.5RS and less fuel efficient too. If he's commuting to school, he wants a reliable car that's cheap to run. A 2.5RS will handle pretty well and I'm pretty sure it's lighter as well.

The faster, turbo car isn't always the best option. Mind you he'll have to pay insurance as well.

Also, a $7500 WRX isn't going to be nearly as clean or low mile as a $7500 A4 or 2.5RS.
Quote:
I plan to baby the hell out of either. i've been saving since highschool for mostly university, but had some on the side still for when i decided to get a car. My friend has a 1.8t VW, and another has a 01 audi 1.8t and the only downfall is the fwd for me, so that's why i considered the Subie instead.

It really comes down to preference. I'd probably get the Subaru, personally, just because it's simpler. There is less little stuff to go wrong. I'm a bit biased though, I have had horrible luck with my turbocharged eurobox ever since I have owned it.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM #6
SmallBaller712
XBL - WookyMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hammock View Post
You do realize a VW/Audi 1.8t is turbo charged too, right?

Quote:

The Audi 1.8t you can get with Quattro. I assume you knew that though by your 2 choices, but you're kind of sending mixed signals

Originally Posted by Alan777..."Sunny and Wilfred are my fags."
SmallBaller712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:56 PM #7
DERKA003

Well there is just an abundance of a4 1.8ts around here. Quattro ones are harder to find. That's all.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:09 PM #8
Alan777
Tree Fitty

Audi is going to be a way nicer car, but more unreliable and more expensive to fix
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 PM #9
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
a4>subie all the way. its nicer to have the quality interior of the audi. Other than the peeling of the rubberization, the latch on the arm rest, and the latch on the glove box, everything else holds up well. And the stuff i just mentioned can be a cheap fix if you know how to search the web and/or do work yourself. And like supra said, you can make the a4 faster with fewer munnies.

First off, spend the extra money and get a 2004 1.8t. Comes standard with painted lowers.

Also, if you end up with a b6, MAKE SURE you get the sport package. And i dont mean just the sport package wheels, i'm talking about the whole package (sport struts (red ones) /springs (2002 sport springs are the lowest sitting, 2003/4 are like .2 of an inch higher)/sways(sport sways are 18mm, non-sport are 16mm)/wheels(five spoke)). Also, lighting package is nice too as you will get D1s xenon housings rather than the halogen projector housings.

Reliability wise, if they are above 100k, they should have had a timing belt change... if they are nearing 130-140, they should be about to have the timing belt done and/or already have it done (factor that into the price when you go to offer and explain that to them if they dont already know).

If you have minor plans for modding, then i'm telling you, do NOT buy a non-sport package a4 (unless you planned to immediately ditch the suspension/sways from the get-go)

I've spent close to 6 years modding my 2004 a4, so i have a very good understanding of the b6/b7 platform. If you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask.

Last edited by peacob : 09-22-2012 at 05:29 PM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:35 PM #10
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Good luck finding a 2004 A4 with tons of packages for his price range that isn't 200k +

He has the right mind in staying with the cars he is looking at.

Personally, I REALLY like the late 90s RS'. I am a bit biased, though, being pretty cool with someone who has one that's Stage 2 and one that's stupid modded.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:37 PM #11
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
Good luck finding a 2004 A4 with tons of packages for his price range that isn't 200k +

He has the right mind in staying with the cars he is looking at.

Personally, I REALLY like the late 90s RS'. I am a bit biased, though, being pretty cool with someone who has one that's Stage 2 and one that's stupid modded.
Hence why i said, "spend the extra money". It also depends on your location. I can find a lot cheaper A4's in my area as opposed to further east or in California.

If you have ANY plans to mod or upgrade a car, then you should never let another grand or 2 keep you from what would later on be a better option for you. Does that mean waiting another month or two to buy the car? Sure, but in the end it'll save him money down the road because if he does get the mod-bug, he'll want to do those upgrades anyway.

Last edited by peacob : 09-22-2012 at 05:51 PM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM #12
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post

99 RS

2004 A4
Old 09-22-2012, 06:12 PM #13
Matt H

Annual Supporting Member
Matt H is a Supporting Member
Matt H is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Matt H is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Audi if you're a douche bag.

Subaru if you're cool.
Matt H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:19 PM #14
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
99 RS
[im g]http://imageshack.us/a/img716/2710/20463430005large.jpg[/img]
2004 A4
[im g]http://imageshack.us/a/img402/3407/31430730014large.jpg[/img]
You're acting like it's not common knowledge that a luxury automaker has nicer interiors than an economy car from 5 years before it would come with.

Difference is, I bet everything in the interior of that Subaru still works today...

Old 09-22-2012, 06:25 PM #15
AntiHeightPunk (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H View Post

Subaru if you're cool.
LOLed but true
owning a Luxury car out of its prime is just weak
AntiHeightPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:32 PM #16
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
You're acting like it's not common knowledge that a luxury automaker has nicer interiors than an economy car from 5 years before it would come with.

Difference is, I bet everything in the interior of that Subaru still works today...
Wow. I could say the same for the audi interior too, because in the end, i dont know jack **** about who owned it and how well it was taken care of. Dont make ridiculous comments like that, you just look stupid.

I know those subies have their interior problems too, so dont act like its so much more superior.

All i posted was two pictures, one showing each interior, i'm sorry you got butthurt because its obvious how much nicer Audi interior looks. How am i acting like its not common knowledge? I'm just posting the difference to someone thats actually considering each car. I'm giving him a fair observation of each interior. Cry about it.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM #17
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHeightPunk View Post
LOLed but true
owning a Luxury car out of its prime is just weak
God you're ignorant.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM #18
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

You're just being an audi nut hugger like always. Give it up.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:35 PM #19
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H View Post

Subaru if you're cool.
Great statement, provides so much info.

Way to bring the typical douche mentality of "my car is so much cooler than his" into this thread. Grow the **** up.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 PM #20
peacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
You're just being an audi nut hugger like always. Give it up.
Nut hugger?

He wants a car to go from school to back.... i'm sorry if having a nicer interior is more important to me. Hes the one sitting in the thing for however long it takes to get there and back.

If he said, "nissan gt-r vs audi s4", there would be no question i'd take the GTR....

UMADBRO?

Clearly me having plenty of experience with the car hes looking into must mean if i try and give him all the info i can on it makes me a "nut hugger"... Stop being a petty little child.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:40 PM #21
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Not mad at all.

I have never seen you posted anything besides LOL AUDI IS BEST LOL

Don't try and tell me that you honestly think that a 10 year old audi is a more reliable and economic car than a Subaru.