PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 PM #1114
Crane
Infotography

Crane supports our troops
Yeah. That's basically my morning routine to the t. Haven't invested in a Se razor yet though. I want one fore sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 PM #1115
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
Now we're talking! I've shaving DE for about a year now, face is as smooth as a baby's bottom and little to no irritation ever! If you want to try it out, hit up "sally beauty supply" (no homo). I found a cheap DE razor and blades there out the door <$15

Now my main shave is a 1950's gillete superspeed. I like feather blades, and the cheapo platinums at aforementioned beauty supply.

Also using a Parker badger brush, and "the art of shaving" oil, cream, and aftershave balm

Don't forget to hit your face with a wet alum. block after shaving and rinsing with COLD water.....feels great!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 PM #1116
Crane
Infotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4literranger485 View Post
Now we're talking! I've shaving DE for about a year now, face is as smooth as a baby's bottom and little to no irritation ever! If you want to try it out, hit up "sally beauty supply" (no homo). I found a cheap DE razor and blades there out the door <$15

Now my main shave is a 1950's gillete superspeed. I like feather blades, and the cheapo platinums at aforementioned beauty supply.

Also using a Parker badger brush, and "the art of shaving" oil, cream, and aftershave balm

Don't forget to hit your face with a wet alum. block after shaving and rinsing with COLD water.....feels great!
Word. I like Astras for my blades, but only because feathers are WAY more expensive (relatively speaking) but I really did like the feather's shave.

I just have a cheap escali brush that I bought when I started before I was sure I wanted to shave like that. It has served me well, but I feel it is time to move up in the world. I am a big fan of the proraso soap, and For $15 bucks on Amazon you get the tub that lasts forever. Going on 2 months now and im barely half way done with it.

I need to get an alum block. everyone says it feels great if you shaved correctly.. but if you ****ed up, you know immediately.

Would be cool to see more people make the switch. It really make shaving fun... Plus when you calculate costs it is just way cheaper. Unless you get addicted and end up with 5 DEs a few SEs and a crap ton of soaps and lotions.. haha.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 PM #1117
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
I first tried the proraso menthol stuff which feels amazing, especially in the summer.

the alum block will sting spots that you hit to rough, but its only for a second or two then your whole face feels better the rest of the day.

i want that merkur 180 i think, it's their long handled DE shaver. I need to make a big order of blades from amazon too....i'm getting down to the nitty gritty of an old sampler pack from when i started
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM #1118
shredxcam

Hoping my electric lasts 4 more years. Then I'll grow an epic beard
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 PM #1119
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

has been a member for 10 years
I also feel like a badass when I shave with my SE. It's also awesome seeing people's reactions when I tell them I shave with a straight razor.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 PM #1120
DyePaintballer2k11
Greek, I am it

DyePaintballer2k11 helped look for balloons
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Post up links or gtfo.

If I can find all this stuff for cheap then I might start safety razor shaving. But with all the costs it's about $70 or more from what I've seen. No need for that at the moment when the electric does just fine.

USAF
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.
And the machine is bleeding to death.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 PM #1121
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

http://www.theartofshaving.com/on/de...traight-razors

http://www.theartofshaving.com/on/de...s-shaving-kits

The girl at the store misquoted me the razor so I got it for 150. If anyone is looking into straight razor shaving I would highly recommend handling some razors in the store to find something comfortable. You don't want anything too heavy or light.

Last edited by Cima2oo3 : 01-12-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM #1122
shredxcam

My 10$ electric has lasted 3-4 years. So ima pass on a 200$ blade
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 PM #1123
Crane
Infotography

Amazon has good prices on quality products.

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-D...s=edwin+jagger

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Premi...keywords=astra

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavin...ywords=proraso

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Safety-...ds=shave+brush

That will get anyone started. I built my brush/razor stand out of Lego, and I used my daughters breakfast bowl for a shave mug, until my parents got me a real one for Christmas. All of the shave oils and aftershave creams and whatnot are all nice, but not necessary to start.

I priced it out a while ago and electric is fairly cheap.. but if you replace the blades every 3-4 months like is suggested, that ends up being the $50-100 razor + $30 for new shave heads every 4 months. So your total cost of ownership is anywhere from $170/year to well over $200. DE shaving, you spend the $70 up front and are basically set for 2 years, plus the cost of a $12 shaving cream every 4 months or so.

Or if you are like me and kept the electric and never once changed the heads, then by the time you need new heads, they stopped selling them for your razor and now you have to buy a whole new razor. Either way, if you like the quickness and convenience of an electric razor and don't much care for getting a complete shave, then DE wouldn't really be for you anyway.. it takes time and a bit of patience to get it just right.

Last edited by Crane : 01-12-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 AM #1124
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

I'm still learning the straight razor. Not getting as close as I'd like to just yet but very few knicks which I'll take that trade anyday. It's also taking me too long to shave so I stick to my cartridge razor on work days and the SE on weekends.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 AM #1125
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
The blade isn't 200 its the actual device that holds the razor.

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 AM #1126
shredxcam

That's even worse! That's the cost of 2 t2s!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 AM #1127
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

Well on mine it's actually a solid blade. I used to use a Braun Syncro that I liked but I have a scar on my chin from a bailout on a longboard at about 20mph and whenever I hit that spot with my old electric I got horrible ingrown hairs there.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 AM #1128
shredxcam

I got a scar from slamming on a hand rail on my chin that splits open if I shave it with a razor

I always think of Sweeney Todd when seeing those razors
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM #1129
Crane
Infotography

Straight edge razors are different from DE. SE is just a hunk of metal attached to a handle. You get ir professionally sharpened then it is good for a LONG time. You don't buy blades to replace it. They are obviously more expensive, but $200 is the mid-higher end. You can get a decent one for about $100 on the lower side.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM #1130
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

Just be careful what you buy with SE. Stick to Dovo or Thiers-Issard. Lots of cheaper low quality steel razors that won't hold an edge and be generally ****ty. The two I mentioned also usually come ready to shave where others well need to be honed before you can shave with them or you'll cut your face up and/or get a bad shave where it pulls the hair rather than cleanly cuts it.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM #1131
Crane
Infotography

Dovo is about the cheapest Se you want to buy.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 AM #1132
Deathmoney07

Deathmoney07 plays in the PSP
Deathmoney07 donated to help Peyton Trent
Deathmoney07 supports our troops
I like where this thread is going. lol

On a side note...Will Matt Ryan finally win a playoff game? and against my beloved Seahawks at that!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM #1133
Trojanboy15
Shadow C/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmoney07 View Post
I like where this thread is going. lol

On a side note...Will Matt Ryan finally win a playoff game? and against my beloved Seahawks at that!
Yup, even though i have to represent my home team, I feel this game shall be a good one and wish the seahawks the best.

XBL-abortedReptar
PSN-SpankMyBoy
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM #1134
Deathmoney07

Deathmoney07 plays in the PSP
Deathmoney07 donated to help Peyton Trent
Deathmoney07 supports our troops
Same, I really just enjoy good football games. After watching that broncos vs ravens game last night...I can only hope that the hawks vs falcons game is half as entertaining as that game!

Unfortunately for us, clemens our DE tore is ACL vs the skins so there goes a huge part of our defense
Closed Thread