Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 PM #1
Brett_Favre
Whats 1 more year?
 
Brett_Favre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Twin Turbos > supercharger, bottle, single turbo, & twin scroll single turbo ?

So two of the most highly educated engineers i know made a stunning argument. They suggested that twin turbos are the best upgrade for a new 2013 camaro ss.

Better yet they suggested Twin Turbos are the best upgrade for power in any car and that superchargers , nitrous , and single turbo setups (regular or twin scroll) are old technology and will perform worse. Do you agree or disagree and why?

Here is some of their supporting arguments
"In new age top of the line turbos lag almost doesn't exist."

"supercharging is old tech and limited...I'll get instant power from a single turbo if I just pump my gas petal before launch. New turbo tech reduces lag and still allows high rpm performance. Also if by bottle you mean nitrous oxide....have you seen fast and furious Tokyo drift? Talk about a performance part ment for ricers...."

"And dyno sheets are useless...."

when i asked why the corvette zr1, mustang gt500 and cobra super snake all had superchargers the response was
"It's proven tech that the old muscle heads trust. A twin turbo will **** in a superchargers coco puffs. Its all marketing"

"both numbers aren't perfectly measured. It also matters what type of dyno you use. So I won't base my answers on dyno numbers"

maybe im wrong , but looking at the strip tells me superchargers, bottled cars, and single turbo setups can be plenty fast. But are these setups truly inferior?
Brett_Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 PM #2
tokay444
Dust white Darq Marq user
 
tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oakville ON. Canada.
USUALLY you can fit one big turbo, in the space of two smaller turbos.
Which is why most of the big power rb26's and 2jz's go single turbo.
Those motors can rev to 10000rpm all day, so they're not worried about the down low spool/lag of a bigger turbo.
Now I haven't seen the engine bay of the new camaro, but I'm betting there's more room for one BIG turbo than two big turbos.
tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM #3
greaseball
CZ master race
 
greaseball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
So just because nitrous was "used" in f&f it's for ricers? What is your argument besides they used it in the movie and called it naaaazzzzz..
__________________
"Originally posted by smahthers2K12:This guys name is greaseball. He must know what hes talking about when it comes to scamming and being a douche bag.
greaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM #4
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude
 
ClawHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UAE
ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Depends on how you want the power made and what your constrains are. Superchargers are very advantageous in many aspects.
ClawHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM #5
Brett_Favre
Whats 1 more year?
 
Brett_Favre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseball View Post
So just because nitrous was "used" in f&f it's for ricers? What is your argument besides they used it in the movie and called it naaaazzzzz..
thats their argument.


i highly disagree, i actually see more large displacement vehicles with stronger blocks running nitrous then the ricers
Brett_Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM #6
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-
 
Rampager2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
Depends on how you want the power made and what your constrains are. Superchargers are very advantageous in many aspects.
Like? I'm actually curious.

I know a decent bit about turbos, but don't know much about the differences between supercharges, turbos and whatnot.
__________________
Steam: N-Ur-Face
I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant... It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
Maktub

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM #7
freestyle141
Because Racecar
 
freestyle141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Illinois
freestyle141 is playing at Living Legends VI
Sounds like a bunch of idiots to me
__________________
Join me-Proper Image
1991 Toyota mr2 turbo, bolt-ons..

CCM gloss red s6.5 #40
Dangerous Power Fusion FX
freestyle141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM #8
Brett_Favre
Whats 1 more year?
 
Brett_Favre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
Depends on how you want the power made and what your constrains are. Superchargers are very h advantageous in many aspects.
i was thinking the instant torque , less heat when making power up top, but worse fuel efficiency (as though that matters).

so i like superchargers more especially on v8s, the only thing you might give twin turbos is better fuel economy due to them running on waste gas but even thats a stretch.
Brett_Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 PM #9
Brett_Favre
Whats 1 more year?
 
Brett_Favre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle141 View Post
Sounds like a bunch of idiots to me
at least one has a nation account, im hoping they get the urge to flush out their argument on here
Brett_Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 PM #10
Alan777
Tree Fitty
 
Alan777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
N/A all day

Bro
__________________
Premier Detailing LLC
Instagram: @premierdetailingllc
1991 Corvette
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 AM #11
greaseball
CZ master race
 
greaseball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Favre View Post
thats their argument.


i highly disagree, i actually see more large displacement vehicles with stronger blocks running nitrous then the ricers
I don't think I have ever seen an import running more than a 100 shot. Especially in the 4cyclinder variety. Althought im positive they exist it's Just not a popular route with the imports.
__________________
"Originally posted by smahthers2K12:This guys name is greaseball. He must know what hes talking about when it comes to scamming and being a douche bag.
greaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 AM #12
~Proto~
Jan 2k6'r
 
~Proto~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SEPA
~Proto~ plays in the USPL
~Proto~ helped look for balloons
~Proto~ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
~Proto~ has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
where the hell is f1vemon
they left out the rb26dettt
__________________
****
~Proto~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 AM #13
automagsrule
LOIC
 
automagsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Monkey Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Favre View Post
i was thinking the instant torque , less heat when making power up top, but worse fuel efficiency (as though that matters).

so i like superchargers more especially on v8s, the only thing you might give twin turbos is better fuel economy due to them running on waste gas but even thats a stretch.
no one cares about fuel economy. the one big knock against superchargers is the power leech, you trade the instant boost in low RPMs for smaller gains at the top of the revs. It really comes down to what you want to do with the car, where and when you need the power, etc. Also as mentioned, space limitations can be a big factor. 2 snails of any significant size take up a ton of space.
__________________

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 AM #14
cvm973
Supra owner
 
cvm973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA chico
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
no one cares about fuel economy. the one big knock against superchargers is the power leech, you trade the instant boost in low RPMs for smaller gains at the top of the revs. It really comes down to what you want to do with the car, where and when you need the power, etc. Also as mentioned, space limitations can be a big factor. 2 snails of any significant size take up a ton of space.
do centrifugal superchargers vs the positive displacement ones change power wise up top?

I heard about heat soak being an issue in ford lightenings . is this why they suck up top or is it because the pully is putting that much stress on the engine?
__________________
do you yahoo?
Add me on Facebook.
cvm973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 AM #15
espin679
 
 
espin679's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Greenwood lake Ny
espin679 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
espin679 posts videos on PbNation
espin679 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
espin679 is attending Decay of Nations VI
i always felt Single Turbo > anything else. Superchargers have low end grunt and are nice for higher compression motors. But single turbos have more higher end potentional. Either way you see redic high HP cars if they are built right. I just like the feel of a big turbo kicking it, like your face is melting off.
__________________
Looking for Cure 3/4 Bolt Zick kits and a Carbon fiber Stiffi barrel. PM me what you got and how much?
espin679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 AM #16
cvm973
Supra owner
 
cvm973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA chico
Quote:
Originally Posted by espin679 View Post
i always felt Single Turbo > anything else. Superchargers have low end grunt and are nice for higher compression motors. But single turbos have more higher end potentional. Either way you see redic high HP cars if they are built right. I just like the feel of a big turbo kicking it, like your face is melting off.
how do these guys do well from a launch? just brake boost, or have launch control?

wouldnt this make them the same as a supercharger then?
__________________
do you yahoo?
Add me on Facebook.
cvm973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 AM #17
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
kfresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: *863*FL
they'd change their tune if they ever messed with a big twin screw. nothing makes power like a twin screw pushing 65psi.
__________________
just a slow n/a mustang
fastest 1/8 mile 6.10s @ 113mph 330ft 3.92s 60ft 1.36s
Snowbird Outlaw Nationals Winner 2012
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:18 AM #18
AntiHeightPunk (Banned)
 
AntiHeightPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palm Harbor FL
the gap between centri blowers and turbos is very small at this point, also big twin screws have their places too....your friends seem like magazine racers.
AntiHeightPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 AM #19
tokay444
Dust white Darq Marq user
 
tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oakville ON. Canada.
Nothing except a big t4 twin scroll.
tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 AM #20
Ynnekdude
Carpe Diem
 
Ynnekdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Turbos are fun.


Superchargers are kewl too.
__________________
"This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying this to win favour with lorry drivers. It's a hard job - change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."


Russian Legion Fanclub #16
Ynnekdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM #21
tokay444
Dust white Darq Marq user
 
tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oakville ON. Canada.
Thing with superchargers is parasitic loss.
Some take over 200hp just to turn the charger.
tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump