Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 PM #1
Brett_Favre
Whats 1 more year?

Twin Turbos > supercharger, bottle, single turbo, & twin scroll single turbo ?

So two of the most highly educated engineers i know made a stunning argument. They suggested that twin turbos are the best upgrade for a new 2013 camaro ss.

Better yet they suggested Twin Turbos are the best upgrade for power in any car and that superchargers , nitrous , and single turbo setups (regular or twin scroll) are old technology and will perform worse. Do you agree or disagree and why?

Here is some of their supporting arguments
"In new age top of the line turbos lag almost doesn't exist."

"supercharging is old tech and limited...I'll get instant power from a single turbo if I just pump my gas petal before launch. New turbo tech reduces lag and still allows high rpm performance. Also if by bottle you mean nitrous oxide....have you seen fast and furious Tokyo drift? Talk about a performance part ment for ricers...."

"And dyno sheets are useless...."

when i asked why the corvette zr1, mustang gt500 and cobra super snake all had superchargers the response was
"It's proven tech that the old muscle heads trust. A twin turbo will **** in a superchargers coco puffs. Its all marketing"

"both numbers aren't perfectly measured. It also matters what type of dyno you use. So I won't base my answers on dyno numbers"

maybe im wrong , but looking at the strip tells me superchargers, bottled cars, and single turbo setups can be plenty fast. But are these setups truly inferior?
Brett_Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 PM #2
tokay444
Dust white Darq Marq user

USUALLY you can fit one big turbo, in the space of two smaller turbos.
Which is why most of the big power rb26's and 2jz's go single turbo.
Those motors can rev to 10000rpm all day, so they're not worried about the down low spool/lag of a bigger turbo.
Now I haven't seen the engine bay of the new camaro, but I'm betting there's more room for one BIG turbo than two big turbos.
tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM #3
greaseball
CZ master race

So just because nitrous was "used" in f&f it's for ricers? What is your argument besides they used it in the movie and called it naaaazzzzz..
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM #4
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Depends on how you want the power made and what your constrains are. Superchargers are very advantageous in many aspects.
ClawHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM #5
Brett_Favre
Whats 1 more year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseball View Post
So just because nitrous was "used" in f&f it's for ricers? What is your argument besides they used it in the movie and called it naaaazzzzz..
thats their argument.

i highly disagree, i actually see more large displacement vehicles with stronger blocks running nitrous then the ricers
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM #6
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
Depends on how you want the power made and what your constrains are. Superchargers are very advantageous in many aspects.
Like? I'm actually curious.

I know a decent bit about turbos, but don't know much about the differences between supercharges, turbos and whatnot.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM #7
freestyle141
Because Racecar

freestyle141 is playing at Living Legends VI
Sounds like a bunch of idiots to me

CCM gloss red s6.5 #40
Dangerous Power Fusion FX
freestyle141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM #8
Brett_Favre
Whats 1 more year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
Depends on how you want the power made and what your constrains are. Superchargers are very h advantageous in many aspects.
i was thinking the instant torque , less heat when making power up top, but worse fuel efficiency (as though that matters).

so i like superchargers more especially on v8s, the only thing you might give twin turbos is better fuel economy due to them running on waste gas but even thats a stretch.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 PM #9
Brett_Favre
Whats 1 more year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle141 View Post
Sounds like a bunch of idiots to me
at least one has a nation account, im hoping they get the urge to flush out their argument on here
Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 PM #10
Alan777
Tree Fitty

N/A all day

Bro
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 AM #11
greaseball
CZ master race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Favre View Post
thats their argument.

i highly disagree, i actually see more large displacement vehicles with stronger blocks running nitrous then the ricers
I don't think I have ever seen an import running more than a 100 shot. Especially in the 4cyclinder variety. Althought im positive they exist it's Just not a popular route with the imports.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 AM #12
~Proto~
Jan 2k6'r

~Proto~ plays in the USPL
~Proto~ helped look for balloons
~Proto~ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
~Proto~ has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
where the hell is f1vemon
they left out the rb26dettt
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 AM #13
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Favre View Post
i was thinking the instant torque , less heat when making power up top, but worse fuel efficiency (as though that matters).

so i like superchargers more especially on v8s, the only thing you might give twin turbos is better fuel economy due to them running on waste gas but even thats a stretch.
no one cares about fuel economy. the one big knock against superchargers is the power leech, you trade the instant boost in low RPMs for smaller gains at the top of the revs. It really comes down to what you want to do with the car, where and when you need the power, etc. Also as mentioned, space limitations can be a big factor. 2 snails of any significant size take up a ton of space.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 AM #14
cvm973
Supra owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
no one cares about fuel economy. the one big knock against superchargers is the power leech, you trade the instant boost in low RPMs for smaller gains at the top of the revs. It really comes down to what you want to do with the car, where and when you need the power, etc. Also as mentioned, space limitations can be a big factor. 2 snails of any significant size take up a ton of space.
do centrifugal superchargers vs the positive displacement ones change power wise up top?

I heard about heat soak being an issue in ford lightenings . is this why they suck up top or is it because the pully is putting that much stress on the engine?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 AM #15
espin679

espin679 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
espin679 posts videos on PbNation
espin679 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
espin679 is attending Decay of Nations VI
i always felt Single Turbo > anything else. Superchargers have low end grunt and are nice for higher compression motors. But single turbos have more higher end potentional. Either way you see redic high HP cars if they are built right. I just like the feel of a big turbo kicking it, like your face is melting off.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 AM #16
cvm973
Supra owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by espin679 View Post
i always felt Single Turbo > anything else. Superchargers have low end grunt and are nice for higher compression motors. But single turbos have more higher end potentional. Either way you see redic high HP cars if they are built right. I just like the feel of a big turbo kicking it, like your face is melting off.
how do these guys do well from a launch? just brake boost, or have launch control?

wouldnt this make them the same as a supercharger then?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 AM #17
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

they'd change their tune if they ever messed with a big twin screw. nothing makes power like a twin screw pushing 65psi.
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:18 AM #18
AntiHeightPunk (Banned)

the gap between centri blowers and turbos is very small at this point, also big twin screws have their places too....your friends seem like magazine racers.
AntiHeightPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 AM #19
tokay444

Nothing except a big t4 twin scroll.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 AM #20
Ynnekdude
Carpe Diem

Turbos are fun.

Superchargers are kewl too.
"This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying this to win favour with lorry drivers. It's a hard job - change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

Russian Legion Fanclub #16
Ynnekdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM #21
tokay444

Thing with superchargers is parasitic loss.
Some take over 200hp just to turn the charger.