Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 AM #1
Monty_Python

98c w/RT, uninstall Expansion, add Cyclone and polish.

I have a 7 or so year old 98c with RT and Expansion Chamber installed. The only thing I can confidently do is take apart and clean my marker. Here are the few things I'm up to that I would appreciate any fore warnings or advice and opinions if you have the time. I've been out of the sport for a while and I'd like to play a few before summertime. I just want a simple and fun marker... a good time.

I'm going to switch from CO2 to HPA, so I will remove my Expansion Chamber. I'm convinced it has no value now. When I remove it the stock fore-grip will go back on my marker. Is there any cool aftermarket gadget or handle that will fit where this fore-grip is?

I want to polish the innards simply because it seems like an easy upgrade. Though I only know that it makes the action smoother and faster. There are no other benefits right? This upgrade is never not recommended, right?

I feel like getting something new on my marker for fun since it's been a while. I'm thinking Cyclone Feeder to help feed the RT. I understand there is an extra hardware/hose kit for this. Does the Cyclone require a battery? If so it kind of takes the simplicity out of my goal... I'm hoping it can all be powered by air. If it does take a battery, what do you think the best non-battery hopper is? Stay with stock?

I've hit all your 98c FAQs, I'm pretty sure this specific info I'm asking about isn't there... I say that lightly though, I enjoyed the info and may have missed something.

Lastly I don't want to do the upgrades myself, I want to tight and clean by a pro. I searched Yelp in my area and all local reviews are bad (Hollywood/San Fernado Valley C.A. area). The only place with rave reviews are an hour away. Mailing it out seems much better for my situation than travel/gas/time.

Will Tippmann do every upgrade. I want them to do it because it's their stuff. But the only time they worked on my Marker for the Expansion Chamber, they messed it up... the marker literally never shot a ball ever since. This was the last time I used my marker 5 or so years back... plugged in CO2, Expansion blew up... was missing inner screw that holds the whole thing together. At the time I was ignorant to how it broke and thought it was my fault, so I never contacted Tippmann about it.

Who should I send this to to get upgraded/fixed?... or do you have a local Los Angeles recommendations? I just don't want to go to a place that has reputable bad reviews and 'seem' to have fake good reviews, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your time!
Monty_Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 AM #2
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VI
Rubbr Chickin supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Python View Post
I have a 7 or so year old 98c with RT and Expansion Chamber installed. The only thing I can confidently do is take apart and clean my marker. Here are the few things I'm up to that I would appreciate any fore warnings or advice and opinions if you have the time. I've been out of the sport for a while and I'd like to play a few before summertime. I just want a simple and fun marker... a good time.

I'm going to switch from CO2 to HPA, so I will remove my Expansion Chamber. I'm convinced it has no value now. When I remove it the stock fore-grip will go back on my marker. Is there any cool aftermarket gadget or handle that will fit where this fore-grip is?
There are a few that extend the firegrip, but nothing really takes place unless you buy a fake magazine.

Quote:
I want to polish the innards simply because it seems like an easy upgrade. Though I only know that it makes the action smoother and faster. There are no other benefits right? This upgrade is never not recommended, right?
Polishing will give you smoother operation and I believe a bit better efficiency. Basically, when Tippmann coats their guns, a lot of overspray gets into the hammers path which can create drag on the hammer, wearing out Orings faster. Its not required, but I do it on all of my Tippmanns that I have ever owned.

Quote:
I feel like getting something new on my marker for fun since it's been a while. I'm thinking Cyclone Feeder to help feed the RT. I understand there is an extra hardware/hose kit for this. Does the Cyclone require a battery? If so it kind of takes the simplicity out of my goal... I'm hoping it can all be powered by air. If it does take a battery, what do you think the best non-battery hopper is? Stay with stock?
The Cyclone runs on excess blowback air, it doesnt use or require batteries. When you get your Cyclone you will probably need a T banjo fiting for the R/T and Cyclone hoses.

Quote:
Lastly I don't want to do the upgrades myself, I want to tight and clean by a pro. I searched Yelp in my area and all local reviews are bad (Hollywood/San Fernado Valley C.A. area). The only place with rave reviews are an hour away. Mailing it out seems much better for my situation than travel/gas/time.

Will Tippmann do every upgrade. I want them to do it because it's their stuff. But the only time they worked on my Marker for the Expansion Chamber, they messed it up... the marker literally never shot a ball ever since. This was the last time I used my marker 5 or so years back... plugged in CO2, Expansion blew up... was missing inner screw that holds the whole thing together. At the time I was ignorant to how it broke and thought it was my fault, so I never contacted Tippmann about it.

Who should I send this to to get upgraded/fixed?... or do you have a local Los Angeles recommendations? I just don't want to go to a place that has reputable bad reviews and 'seem' to have fake good reviews, if you know what I mean.
You can look around on the forums to see if anyone is offering Tippmann tech services, but I dont think there are many people that will or can for a reasonable price. You can also try on OG forums (A5OG, 98OG) to see if you can get some help, but im not sure about that either.

I am pretty sure I myself and quite a few other members could do it, it is fairly simple and hard to screw up. I would offer to do it myself but I have a lack of HPA around my area so im stuck with CO2. If you dont mind some CO2 testing after everything is installed, you can just PM me and we can arrange something on the cheap.

Last edited by Rubbr Chickin : 10-16-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Rubbr Chickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM #3
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
pm'd

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage

Last edited by tonycon : 10-16-2012 at 09:46 AM.
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM #4
Monty_Python

RubbrChicken thanks so much for the reply!

For purchasing parts, I usually just go to ebay and decide by seller reputation and price. Do you guys recommend a different place to order online?

Also I enjoy playing with a remote line. I've owned one once and used a few times. Somehow I broke it, I believe do to plugging CO2 at the wrong time or just did something stupid, it wasn't from physical abuse (trying to remember what a guy told me on the field years ago when it broke). I remember him saying it's not worth fixing and to get another. Is that a hard-fast rule on what not to do with remote lines that I should have known about?

Also I was just going to grab the Tippmann one, but if there is another that is somehow better, please recommend.

Thank you Tony as well.

Cheers
Monty
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 PM #5
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
There are plenty of places to get tippy parts...ebay is honestly the last place I would go! Try these sites:

Tippmannparts.com
Rockstartactical.com
Rap4.com-sometimes gets a bad rap...kinda pricey
Ansgear.com

I'll get back to you via pm as well!

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 PM #6
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Python View Post
RubbrChicken thanks so much for the reply!

For purchasing parts, I usually just go to ebay and decide by seller reputation and price. Do you guys recommend a different place to order online?

Also I enjoy playing with a remote line. I've owned one once and used a few times. Somehow I broke it, I believe do to plugging CO2 at the wrong time or just did something stupid, it wasn't from physical abuse (trying to remember what a guy told me on the field years ago when it broke). I remember him saying it's not worth fixing and to get another. Is that a hard-fast rule on what not to do with remote lines that I should have known about?

Also I was just going to grab the Tippmann one, but if there is another that is somehow better, please recommend.

Thank you Tony as well.

Cheers
Monty
All of those sites Tony suggested, but dont do RAP4 for parts. Ive bought from them many times but only because I had to, they rip you off a lot and have some of the worst customer service anywhere. Tippmannparts.com will have all the parts you will need for your 98.

Remotes are so cheap there is no real point in fixing one. If I were you, I would see about buying the Tippmann "Connex" line, or Guerilla Airs "Cobra Coil". They are high quality lines that dont require bleeding before disconnecting. I have one and love it for that.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 PM #7
RuleOfSines

Cyclone works pretty well and is an easy upgrade with little to no maintenance needed.

If you want to keep your Vertical ASA adapter installed, you could replace the expansion chamber with an Air Through Grip, which doesn't actually do anything but keeps the air path through the grip rather than into the middle of the marker.
RuleOfSines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM #8
Monty_Python

Thanks for the remote recommendation! Sorry to ask twice, is there an obvious way to not use a remote. Years back, mine was brand new, used only a few times before I broke it, and I don't understand how it broke.

Thanks again for the Connex recommendation.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 AM #9
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Not really. Attach the nipple end into the ASA, attach the remote to the tank with the knob off, connect the remote line, turn knob on. Thats usually how I do it. And with the Connex/ CC, you wont need to degas when disconnecting the remote from the nipple.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 PM #10
Monty_Python

Must have done something abnormal then, thanks again!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM #11
spazz676

having a cyclone is awesome and helps to avoid the annoying, oh poo I have to shake my gun to feed my paintballs again...

Also selling a Tm-15 http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post80742834
spazz676 is offline   Reply With Quote