Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM #1429
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

Dirtybirdy51 is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Taco View Post
Also, horizontal leg press is a decent machine. Going to take a massive break from any form of squatting unfortunately.
hey, you dont need to squat to get big quads. they'll grow with any form of progressive tension overload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhobo28436 View Post
That form was better than mine. Then again I'm doing them with 80-85# db's, but admittedly I don't bring them down as low as yours (by just a tad though) and I don't pause at the bottom.

I'd say keep at it but try increasing the weight. I'll bet you could do heavier weight with similar form if you went faster with the same ROM. Although again, you might want that.
i appreciate the suggestion, but im dead set on keeping the slow negatives. all of my sets for every exercise are like that (for the most part).
Originally posted by Black Angus: "So, apparently, if you post in the mountain climbing thread that you enjoy climbing because you can fap off the top of the mountain and watch your *** fly in the wind, you get banned."
AUD- passed, REG- passed, BEC- passed, FAR- scores due 3/10
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM #1430
monkeyhobo28436
rr.

monkeyhobo28436 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
typically my first couple exercises (typically more compound movements) i'll just go heavy and get the full ROM without worrying TOO MUCH (still not horrible though) about form and typically doing <10 reps per set. then I'll follow up with more isolation exercises where I'll focus almost solely on form and MMC while sacrificing in the weight department and get closer to 12 reps per set.

Example: shoulder day i'll start with heavy db press and smith military press and then move onto really light (15-20lb) raises where I will emphasize the negative and get a great MMC, often also doing unilateral sets.

Other example: chest day i'll start with heavy bb bench in almost a 5x5 fashion, followed by heavy db incline bench sets of 6-10, where pushing more weight is typically my concern, and then i'll move onto flyes and the chest press machine to really isolate and get the MMC on my chest.

that's just my style, and what i feel works for me. if you arent having any luck with your own routine/style then maybe you should try something else? (not neccessarily my suggestion but look into other things)

Last edited by monkeyhobo28436 : 01-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM #1431
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtybirdy51 View Post
i appreciate the suggestion, but im dead set on keeping the slow negatives. all of my sets for every exercise are like that (for the most part).
I would definitely give quick reps a try, your body might like the change. Emphasis on negatives will was the strength that could be used for strong contractions, IMO. You can use alot more weight when your no exhausting yourself from exaggerated negs.

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM #1432
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

i do use more weight on the other push day. im running a push-pull-legs/phat style program, where the first day of p/p/l is a heavy day (as much weight as i can manage for 5 reps), then the next is a hypertrophy day (as much weight as i can manage for 8 reps). however, even on the heavier day, i keep the same slow rep tempo. any faster and i fear that ill get sloppy.
Originally posted by Black Angus: "So, apparently, if you post in the mountain climbing thread that you enjoy climbing because you can fap off the top of the mountain and watch your *** fly in the wind, you get banned."

Last edited by Dirtybirdy51 : 01-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM #1433
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballh00dlum View Post
What is the Angus way?
I'm assuming he means pausing every rep, which I have incorporated into my training for the past 7 months or so. I'll occasionally do some rep work with a pause at the bottom and the top of every rep.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM #1434
tanner202

If I go low like that, I disengage my delts and involve tris more than I would like. Id advise only going to 90 degrees. Lose the pause at the bottom and speed up the tempo. Keep a slow controlled negative after your last rep when you slowly lower the weights back to your shoulders

For db lat raises, I have found that moving a bench into the completely upright position and sitting with a completely flat back have helped really hit my side delts. I do 3 sets of 20 with 30 seconds between sets, super light weight. Possibly give that a try. As for the movement itself, I just pretend that I am trying to fly but pay attention not to involve your traps into it

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."

Last edited by tanner202 : 01-11-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 PM #1435
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Taco View Post
Also, horizontal leg press is a decent machine. Going to take a massive break from any form of squatting unfortunately.
I haven't had any form of free weight squats in my routine for over a year, and my legs are the biggest they've been. Not as "functional" as squats but the size is there.

This may be an opportunity for you, injury free gains. I would definitely recommend doing a 20rep breathing set to up the intensity of machine work.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 PM #1436
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Dc made my legs biggest when I was squatting pretty seldom, though I was pulling like s maniac as well
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 PM #1437
paintballh00dlum
lightweight

paintballh00dlum has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DC was such a damn good program. I might do that again in the future.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 PM #1438
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

I gained size the quickest when I was doing 5/3/1 with rest-pause assistance work. Then again, that was also during the tail end of my noob gains period, and I was actually learning quality information about lifting for the first time.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 AM #1439
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballh00dlum View Post
DC was such a damn good program. I might do that again in the future.
It helped me get fat.

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 AM #1440
Squirrelly Wrath
Crush Your Enemies

Squirrelly Wrath supports Team VICIOUS
DL's:

315x10
365x6
405x2
315x10

Genetics.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM #1441
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
i do use more weight on the other push day. im running a push-pull-legs/phat style program, where the first day of p/p/l is a heavy day (as much weight as i can manage for 5 reps), then the next is a hypertrophy day (as much weight as i can manage for 8 reps). however, even on the heavier day, i keep the same slow rep tempo. any faster and i fear that ill get sloppy.
I don't see any big guys doing slow negs, just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]TSS[ Dake View Post
It helped me get fat.
Same, lol

Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM #1442
Hawke

Quote:
Just food for thought, but you were willing to admit that your delts are lagging in another thread. If you've been doing them like this for awhile, perhaps a change is necessary.

My shoulders have put on a lot of size lately going heavy and keeping things as explosive as possible. As I said before, I'd recommend trying LEMUR 2.0 Shoulders with rear delts tossed in. My DB press shot up to 75 with really clean reps (although it's a little scary on the first rep).
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM #1443
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

You're absolutely right. I'm stubborn. I'll make an attempt at using the different forms described.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM #1444
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
Looks like your trying to **** the weights at the end

Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM #1445
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Yes dc makes you fat.

A ****load of big guys do slow negatives btw
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM #1446
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
Yes dc makes you fat.

A ****load of big guys do slow negatives btw
What's your suggestion on my form lurk?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 PM #1447
Hawke

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I'm stubborn. I'll make an attempt at using the different forms described.
Eh, everyone gets stubborn when it comes to lifting. You don't even realize it until a few weeks have passed and you've barely progressed (speaking generally, not specifically about you).

It definitely seems like you will benefit from upping weight on presses.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:12 PM #1448
ChemicalDonkey
you're welcome

What exactly are lurker extensions?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM #1449
paintballh00dlum
lightweight

paintballh00dlum has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TIL that dips hit my chest better than any other chest exercise. brb doing them for the rest of my life.
Closed Thread