PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM #106
Weng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Revolution View Post
Wait, that's the leopard guy who claimed to be hookin up with 10s?

Sidewinder?
Ya, its the same person.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM #107
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
Anyway, I'm not concerned about angus' form, and it might be slightly bad form not to observe "right of weight" in the gym, where people stronger than you implicitly have more knowledge. I just KNOW the tone in this forum needs to be more positive.
I can't disagree with this sentiment.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM #108
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

For those who do cardio, is there a specific HR you try to maintain?

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM #109
FHS JewFro
black AND white

when i was doing LISS cardio at the gym i tried to keep mine right at or just a little below 130
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM #110
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Main goal is cardiovascular health, 130 seems too low to be effective for that. IIRC my HR is around 130 while lifting.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM #111
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

OHP'd 115 today. Felt good but I dunno, just wasn't into it.
185 on bench, but again...just didn't feel right.

Might be because I've taken awhile off lifting...but between my shoulder and back, I just don't have fun lifting heavy anymore.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM #112
iizmatts
Me Gusta

Quote:
155-165
Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM #113
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

For actual cardio benefit?

I like to mix in HIIT and LISS. For HIIT I just go balls to the wall on a 3-mile fartlek run (best run you can do IMO) and/or do hill sprints.

For endurance, 3 miles steady pace, be able to talk.

I know HR monitoring is all the rage...but IMO it's just another piece of equipment that's not needed. I don't know where you live, but if you have any trails...trail running is the best thing in the world.

I ran through the German forest every single day I was in Germany, probably 3 miles, little less sometimes. Was amazing.

The most I ever ran is 5-miles. Only did that once a week unless I was training for something specific. 3-5 for endurance, sub 1-mile for VO2.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 PM #114
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

DT: Either going to use the spin bike, or incline treadmill if my shins can adjust. I've came to the conclusion that running is bad for yor health, so I'm not going to do that. Hadn't ever though about HIIT, might try that next time.

IIZ: Do you remember where you heard that?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM #115
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Well even without running...I liked to keep myself JUST below being out of breath. It wasn't tough, but it was definitely a steady workout session.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM #116
hsilman
Disgustipated

A1

Bench 175x2 Pre
DB bench 65s 10,5
60s 6,4
pec deck 5x12

OHP Machine
75x10,5
67.5x4
62.5x6
DB raise 5x12

Dips +40x3 Pre
Skullcrushers +20# 3x12
cable tricep extension 5x12

seated calves 45x20
25x20

Bench max isn't moving, but DB bench is moving up, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. I felt like I was letting my elbows wander too much with skullcrushers, so I lowered the weight and did myorep sets of 12. I'll slowly up the weight until I'm back to 6RM range.

People are starting to notice thatievenlift. "have you started going to the gym?" "brb yeah only for about 2 years". Still it's nice to get some recognition I guess.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 PM #117
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

From Sunday.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM #118
Weng

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
A1

Bench max isn't moving, but DB bench is moving up, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. I felt like I was letting my elbows wander too much with skullcrushers, so I lowered the weight and did myorep sets of 12. I'll slowly up the weight until I'm back to 6RM range.

People are starting to notice thatievenlift. "have you started going to the gym?" "brb yeah only for about 2 years". Still it's nice to get some recognition I guess.
I would say **** flat bench and just db bench. When I was rehabbing my bicep, I did dbs tell I could do 70s for 3 set of 10 reps and I benched 185 with ease.

I stopped doing bench for a while and got up to 100s and went back to bench and could do 225 with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post

From Sunday.
I been doing bench the way you do it in your video, how you pause then forcefully go up, even with the lighter weight. Kind of like it, not sure if its helping though.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM #119
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weng View Post
I would say **** flat bench and just db bench. When I was rehabbing my bicep, I did dbs tell I could do 70s for 3 set of 10 reps and I benched 185 with ease.
I'm only doing it for the preactivation set. I do DB bench and DB incline for all my work sets.

Maybe i'll switch to decline bench instead for a bit just to handle more weight and give my shoulders a break.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 PM #120
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

There is a ton of anecdotal evidence suggesting that pausing on the bench press, even if you don't compete or max with a pause, will help greatly. Jamie Lewis even experimented with pausing at the bottom and top of the lift, and he said he got some pretty good results out of it. It's worth a shot; I've recently started pausing at the top of the movement on all my overhead work, simply because I am unbalanced as ****. I've already dropped the bar once due to losing my balance, I don't want to do it again.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM #121
Weng

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
There is a ton of anecdotal evidence suggesting that pausing on the bench press, even if you don't compete or max with a pause, will help greatly. Jamie Lewis even experimented with pausing at the bottom and top of the lift, and he said he got some pretty good results out of it. It's worth a shot; I've recently started pausing at the top of the movement on all my overhead work, simply because I am unbalanced as ****. I've already dropped the bar once due to losing my balance, I don't want to do it again.
I paused with 245 and the random guy spotting me thought I was a weakling till I popped it right up.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:24 PM #122
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
Have you ever tried overhead db extensions?

I like them much better then skullcrushers since the form is much easier to hold as your arms get tired. Plus they don't bother my elbow like SC's do. I feel like I can push my triceps alot further towards failure with these, the position naturally holds your arms in place so you don't have to worry about them wandering.

Last edited by Pump Revolution : 09-24-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM #123
Weng

Quote:
Have you ever tried overhead db extensions?

I like them much better then skullcrushers since the form is much easier to hold as your arms get tired. Plus they don't bother my elbow like SC's do. I feel like I can push my triceps alot further towards failure with these, the position naturally holds your arms in place so you don't have to worry about them wandering.

Those ****ing kill my elbows.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 PM #124
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

To continue out earlier discussion, this post by Jamie sums up a lot of my opinion on rounded back lifting:

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/201...ith-lower.html

Highlights:

Quote:
For the average weekend warrior ****face who sits on padded machines ****ing around for a half hour in the gym a couple of times a week? He's damn near guaranteed to **** his back up completely. The reason for this is that he's a terrible decision maker and has a job that involves sitting. Likewise for the chicks with office jobs who go to the gym and run on the treadmill all day long. There's a reason why both of those populations are stoop-shoulders and bereft off *****- they have ****ty posture when sitting and standing, which overstretches their lower backs and tightens their hip flexors, and they sit all ****ing day long. They take the elevator up a couple of flights of stairs instead of walking up them like anyone with a modicum of ****ing pride or interest in maintaining a body anyone on Earth wants to see naked. That **** drives me directly up the ****ing wall and makes me want to line those fat ****s up against said wall and hose them down with a bit of lead, and then put them through a wood chipper so as to make their corpses easier for wild pigs to eat. Anyway, they then exacerbate this condition by going to the gym for more sitting, and then doing cardio on a machine that pulls their feet back for them, taking their posterior chain out of the equation, tightening their hip flexors further, and exponentially increasing the chances of a lower back catastrophe. To make matters even worse, it's always those ****ing retards who spend 30 minutes a day doing abs, as though exercising that bodypart will turn them into modern-day Dumbledores who can magically melt off their beer gut with some fantastical incantation and make them look like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie. They'll hurt themselves deadlifting, on the off-chance they ever try to, because they're ****ing retarded.
Quote:
First, see the above answer. Second, round back lifting is actually pretty natural, and most big pullers round their backs on maximum efforts anyways. Benni and Bolton both round their backs, for instance. Should you aim to have a round back? Probably not. Generally speaking, you should arch your back to put yourself in a more mechanically advantageous position whenever possible, and because there's no reason to actively taunt fate.

Brooks Kubik, however, has a different take. In Dinosaur Training, for instance, he had the following to say about lifting with a round back:

backlifting with a barbell. It is this type of lifting that truly develops a strong back...”
Jesse's insight is a keen one. To prove its validity, all you have to do is spend a couple of months using heavy sandbags and heavy barrels as a regular part of your heavy training. You will find that the bags and barrels substantially increase your back strength, with a resulting carry-over to all conventional barbell movements and all athletic endeavors. If you are an athlete - particularly a wrestler or football player - round back lifting will build your back in exactly the manner it needs to be developed to battle a human opponent on the mat or on the playing field. (Kubik, 99)

Thus, according to Brooks, you quite literally cannot get super-strong without lifting with a round back. I will give him this- it's ****ing impossible to pick up oddly shaped objects with a flat back, and all stone lifters have huge backs and lift rounded ever ****ing time. Food for thought.
Tl;Dr: Lifting with a rounded back is pretty natural and one of the best ways to get a low back injury is to not train the low back. Also, quit sitting so ****ing much.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:47 AM #125
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
If you aren't hitting 180, you're being a *****.

srsly

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Old 09-25-2012, 01:54 AM #126
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
God I hate this forum sometimes - the dude was clearly trying to be helpful. My deadlift form is horrendous and i lift significantly more than angus. I'd also take his advice in a heartbeat.

When you're right, you don't have to make arguments from authority, you should be able to give reasons for what you're doing, and if you can't, re-evaluate your life
But Lurker, how else are people suppose to feel important and improve their self-efficacy?

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Closed Thread