Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 PM #253
solrflare

solrflare is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
So... if you're going for a 1RM... then what would be the best way to "get warmed up?"
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2012, 01:00 PM #254
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Dynamic preactivation - maximum speed/power lifts

vertical jumps before a squat 1rm

yes, there is research; no, i'm not going to look it up
Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 PM #255
KillemallcuzIcan

everything
Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 PM #256
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

9/30- Bench #11
Bench- 2x2@250
Close grip high incline bench- 1x2, 4x1@225
Shrugs- 10x3@405
Face pulls- 5x15

Notes: Pretty good day here. Full pause on each rep, with good speed. I do need to do a slightly better job keeping my upper back tight after the first rep, though; I am just fine throughout the entire first rep, but as soon as I come down for the subsequent reps, I collapse a little bit. I also have a bit of an imbalance as I lower the bar, with the right side going down a bit further. Rx: additional back work and a bit of DB pressing.

Sorry for the **** angle on the second set.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.

Last edited by black_angus : 09-30-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 PM #257
ZeR0 EVOlution
.2Ω dual coil, son

ZeR0 EVOlution is a Supporting Member
ZeR0 EVOlution is reppin' sidebar 4 life
BA: Do you ever do a thumbless grip when you bench? Do you know the pros and cons? I've heard it gives more power, but some lifting comps don't allow it so people don't tend to do it as often. I'm just a ***** though, and don't want the bar to slip and break my face. I've broken too many bones in my lifetime to have that happen to me.

Question: if I strained my neck doing barbell rows, what muscles should I stretch beforehand next time to prevent it from happening again? I'm guessing my lats and traps, but again those are guesses. Someone with more experience should be able to help.
46/0/0

C'est une grande habileté que de savoir cacher son habilité.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 PM #258
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution View Post
BA: Do you ever do a thumbless grip when you bench? Do you know the pros and cons? I've heard it gives more power, but some lifting comps don't allow it so people don't tend to do it as often. I'm just a ***** though, and don't want the bar to slip and break my face. I've broken too many bones in my lifetime to have that happen to me.

Question: if I strained my neck doing barbell rows, what muscles should I stretch beforehand next time to prevent it from happening again? I'm guessing my lats and traps, but again those are guesses. Someone with more experience should be able to help.
No, because I don't want to. I feel that keeping a full grip is a much easier way of keeping the bar in the power path (essentially, lined up with the elbows). However, as far as safety...lift in a rack or get some non-retarded spotters. i.e., not these guys:

And yes, that guy died. Notice how he was using a full grip.

The entire point of the false grip is that you essentially have to squeeze the bar as hard as you ****ing can, which is something you should be doing anyway.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 PM #259
ZeR0 EVOlution
.2Ω dual coil, son

ZeR0 EVOlution is a Supporting Member
ZeR0 EVOlution is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I remember that video. Guy busted his ribs or something, and it was just bad news bears for everyone. I don't lift in a rack because I don't have that luxury at my gym, but I do grip very tight and don't try to do 1 or 2 RMs. I go for 3x5s or 3x8s with a weight that I know I can do. My 5RM is not so heavy that I can't do it myself, and I never use the restraints on the barbell just in case I have to roll the weight off. I've already done that twice in the last four months. But I'm at a Gold's, so luckily there are some regulars that can help me out if I ever need them. Wish I had your weight room, mirin' those racks.

When you arch your back, are your heels planted? Or just your toes? I've seen both arguments, but I can't bring my feet close to my body without only being on my toes, and I feel like that might decrease the amount of power I use. Do you incorporate your back into your bench, or do you focus solely on your chest?
46/0/0

C'est une grande habileté que de savoir cacher son habilité.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM #260
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Do you think step ups or lunges will best replicate a leg press movement?

So far have:

Sprints (10, 10, 20, 20, 30, 30, 50m)
Bulgarian Split Squats (3x8-12)
Step Ups/Lunges (2x12-15)

I think lunges and BSS are practically the same exercise in terms of muscles worked and how they're worked.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM #261
Smart Parts Player12

Lunge
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM #262
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

HS shoulder press: 97s, 107s, 122sx7
DB laterals: 30s, 35s, 40x6
BTH BB press: 115x17
HS dips: 365* 5, 5, 11
Smith shrugs: 345* 8, 8, 16
Prone ham curls: stack 12, 12, 14
Hack squats: 4ppsx5
Leg press: 5ppsx20

Lacking motivation lately to push legs, went from 3x5 down to 1x5 on hacks.

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 AM #263
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Parts Player12 View Post
Lunge
Thanks bruh.

Thinking this. Basically PHAT Hypertrophy days, modified to fit my lifting capabilities. Yes...modifying a set routine isn't great, isn't as effective, etc. But given most routines, including LEMUR, focus on heavy lifts at one point or another (even WSIII can't really fit for me), I think this is my best option. With the exception of sprinting and weighted chins, all the lifts are 8-12/10-15/12-15/15-20 rep schemes.

MON:
Flat DB Press
Incline DB Press
HS Press
Incline Cable Flyes
Cambered Preacher
DB Concentration
Spider Curls
Seated EZ EXT
Rope Pushdowns
Cable Kickbacks

WED:
Sprints (Speed)
BSS
Lunges
GHR
Standing Leg Curls
Seated Leg Curls
Donkey Calf
Seated Calf

FRI:
Weighted Chins
Seated Cable Row
DB Rows/Incline
CG Pulldowns
Seated DB Press
Upright Rows
Lateral Raises
Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 PM #264
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
I remember that video. Guy busted his ribs or something, and it was just bad news bears for everyone. I don't lift in a rack because I don't have that luxury at my gym, but I do grip very tight and don't try to do 1 or 2 RMs. I go for 3x5s or 3x8s with a weight that I know I can do. My 5RM is not so heavy that I can't do it myself, and I never use the restraints on the barbell just in case I have to roll the weight off. I've already done that twice in the last four months. But I'm at a Gold's, so luckily there are some regulars that can help me out if I ever need them. Wish I had your weight room, mirin' those racks.

When you arch your back, are your heels planted? Or just your toes? I've seen both arguments, but I can't bring my feet close to my body without only being on my toes, and I feel like that might decrease the amount of power I use. Do you incorporate your back into your bench, or do you focus solely on your chest?
I keep my feet planted entirely on the ground because that is what my federation's rules require. Other federations are different; if it were not required, I would be on my toes.

The back is wildly important for the bench press; it is what gives you your base of support. Keeping the back tight and the shoulder blades retracted reduces the ROM, and keeps the shoulder in a much safer position by reducing internal rotation. Using the lats to drive the bar off the chest and create momentum is also very important; I'm just now starting to get the hang of it as I pause more.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM #265
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Been sick in bed all last week. Felt incredibly weak when I was able to make it out of my house last night.

Power Cleans-135x5, 155x5, 205x4, 225x0, 185x8
HS shrugs-4x10
Seated hams- 4x10
Calf press- 4x15
3/4 mile run.

No energy left for squats...lame

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM #266
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

Once that HIV turns to AIDS you end up pretty weak

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM #267
URBANxFLOW

Quote:

I watched a guy drop 225 on his face the other day employing the 'thumbless grip'. Whatever minute gains it might yield are in no way worth the consequences of having the weight slip out of your grip - almost every horror story I've heard from the gym involves a bb slipping and destroying the persons chest (tons of vital organs right where that weight is gonna fall).

Arched back always, shoulder blades pinned and slightly pinched, legs strongly planted and slightly bowed (I usually aim to keep them flat but, so long as the movement is slight, I don't think being on your toes would cause any problems).

You should absolutely not incorporate your back into your bench in any way other than keeping a tight core - that's a real easy way to **** yourself up. The people that use their backs in that see-saw motion are defeating the purpose of keeping their shoulder blades/butt pinned to the bench and are lucky if they don't get hurt.

edit: 305x3 on decline.

I've been seeing some solid gains in my lifts with this new power routine I've been doing. Shooting for 315 on flat, 295 incline, and some high number squat/dls before I go back to a bbing oriented routine. I plateaued hardcore a few months back and, although the weight is coming on slow, seeing my lifts go up so much is a good feel. Hoping that if I can get my lifts up, when I go back to a routine more centered around bbing the aesthetics will reach new heights... this sound good, or broscience?

Last edited by URBANxFLOW : 10-01-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 PM #268
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

What do you mean by a see-saw motion?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 PM #269
URBANxFLOW

I guess its more of a like torso air hump kind of thing. Where on the positive you drive your back into the bench and on the negative you 'hump' up.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 PM #270
hsilman
Disgustipated

A2

Bench 165x2 Pre <- dropped weight, felt good and solid
DB incline 60x8, 55x6,5,4,3
Pec deck 5x12

DB shoulder press 40x11,5
35x6,4
db raise 5x12

dips +45x1 Pre <- felt shaky, will lower weight next time
BWx12,7,5
tri pushdowns 5x12

ab wheel from knees 2x5,7

Bought an ab wheel on amazon. Decided to leave it at the gym for anyone to use. Hopefully no one steals it, but if so it was only $10, and I'll be disappointed but oh well. I'll just buy another one and carry it with me.

urban: raising your butt off the bench doesn't reduce tightness in your back or remove the arch necessarily. It just makes the lift easier.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 PM #271
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Not to mention it just looks retarded.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 PM #272
Weng

Benched 280 today, getting so close to 300.

Been having a lot of pain in my elbows, anyone know how to stop that?

@Blackangus still doing the bench technique where you pause and then explode, I like it.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 PM #273
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]TSS[ Dake View Post
Once that HIV turns to AIDS you end up pretty weak
Dake, have you been drinking again?

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Closed Thread