abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
Stock Bolt vs TechT MRT Bolt

Just a short video I did to compare the two bolt/spring setups. The MRT bolt definitely shoots smoother. The lighter bolt and spring combination work nice to remove that 'ping' or 'vibration' with the stock bolt/spring. Difficult to see in the video but the cycle is softer. In the video it shows I didn't get much FPS increase at all maybe 5-10fps.

Bolt guide wear I noticed after a total of almost 2000 shots using the MRT bolt.
Before:

After:

Last edited by abenguyen : 03-04-2013 at 05:42 PM.
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM #2
Snapshootn

Snapshootn owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Snapshootn owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Have you noticed any abnormal wear on the bolt guide?
Snapshootn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM #3
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshootn View Post
Have you noticed any abnormal wear on the bolt guide?
Yes some slight streaking wear on one portion of the bolt. I asked Tim at Techt about it and he recommended to use just a very small amount of lube on the bolt guide.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM #4
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Let us know if that keeps it from wearing any further. I'd be interested in tossing in one of these to see for myself how it does, but I don't want to jack up my Ethas bolt guide from it.
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM #5
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJ View Post
Let us know if that keeps it from wearing any further. I'd be interested in tossing in one of these to see for myself how it does, but I don't want to jack up my Ethas bolt guide from it.
I plan to put another case through it this weekend. I'll take before and after pictures and update this thread.

I love it, it shoots much much smoother and the vibration is reduced to very little. It feels like a Geo 2.1 pretty much, maybe even a Geo 3 .
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM #6
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

So I only managed to get about 1000 shots through my Etha this past Sunday. It was a slow day, refs were lazy, buddies tired so we didn't get many games in. But here's some pics to show the results from using my MRT bolt/spring combo.

Before:

After:

Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM #7
kyle=aggalicious
killin w/ SoFla's Finest

I don't want to jack your thread, but what is your dwell at? Have you tried making any adjustments? I just received my etha today (bought used) has the up'd shaft kit and mrt bolt, dwell at 12. I like it quite a bit. I didn't want to spend the money on a geo just yet so i opted to try this. The mrt makes my velocity increase around 20-25fps on average. I have a problem chopping paint when i'm shooting a stream and the hopper runs low (rotor). Maybe the paint is too fragile for this marker? Just looking for some suggestions incase somebody else has had the same issue.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post72597207
kyle=aggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 AM #8
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle=aggalicious View Post
I don't want to jack your thread, but what is your dwell at? Have you tried making any adjustments? I just received my etha today (bought used) has the up'd shaft kit and mrt bolt, dwell at 12. I like it quite a bit. I didn't want to spend the money on a geo just yet so i opted to try this. The mrt makes my velocity increase around 20-25fps on average. I have a problem chopping paint when i'm shooting a stream and the hopper runs low (rotor). Maybe the paint is too fragile for this marker? Just looking for some suggestions incase somebody else has had the same issue.
Not a problem at all.

My dwell is stock 12ms. I may mess with it sometime later on. I've read people run it as low as 10ms, any lower causes problems.

I chopped paint using a gravity loader. Though its a soft tip, the cycle isn't necessarily slow or smooth enough (it IS a entry level marker) and will break paint if it catches wrong. Most guns will but some are much softer on paint.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM #9
kyle=aggalicious
killin w/ SoFla's Finest

I was concerned with it being an entry level marker, but my dm7 broke the same paint when i played sunday. It was only one break, though. I kept breaking near the end of stack with the etha. I guess i'll see if turning the speed down on the rotor will help. If that doesn't work i'll have to be more careful of what paint i shoot i guess.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM #10
kyle=aggalicious
killin w/ SoFla's Finest

Just an fyi for all that see this: I did some more testing today and have had some great results in adjusting the dwell. I resolved my chopping issue from yesterday i think. I changed the battery, made sure the rotor was at the lightest tension setting and no chops. I think it was more or less the paint was too big. I had a 695 in my DW and it was still tight.
Back to the dwell. I've been able to get my dwell down to 7 so far with no issue. I did go from shooting 295-305 down to 280-285, but i have no shot drop off nor misfires. I did some tests swaping bolts and springs. The mrt gives me a huge fps increase from stock ~20 to 25. But, if i have the mrt spring with the stock bolt it's nearly the same increase. I think where the mrt bolt is going to have the most benefit is with the dwell time because of the lower bolt weight/spring tension. The sound signature is poppier than my dm7 but the shot feel is on par. And the efficiency is way better. I know this isn't an accurate testing (i don't have the paint or air to do so) but shooting 1 pod of redemption out my stock ul moved the gauge from ~1100 to ~900psi. Anyway, I think i'm going to be satisfied with my $300 purchase. eclipse and techt!

Forgot to mention I cleaned all the lube off the bolt and bolt guide from the previous owner. There was some crusty stuff really stuck to the spring. I cleaned that off the best i could. There's alot more scratches on the bolt and guide than what abe shows in his pics on his. My assumption is the lube on the bolt/guide is holding dirt or bolt material that wears off there and causes more scratching. I would do what Jack W. said and don't grease it.

Last edited by kyle=aggalicious : 03-05-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM #11
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Just an fyi for all that see this: I did some more testing today and have had some great results in adjusting the dwell. I resolved my chopping issue from yesterday i think. I changed the battery, made sure the rotor was at the lightest tension setting and no chops. I think it was more or less the paint was too big. I had a 695 in my DW and it was still tight.
Back to the dwell. I've been able to get my dwell down to 7 so far with no issue. I did go from shooting 295-305 down to 280-285, but i have no shot drop off nor misfires. I did some tests swaping bolts and springs. The mrt gives me a huge fps increase from stock ~20 to 25. But, if i have the mrt spring with the stock bolt it's nearly the same increase. I think where the mrt bolt is going to have the most benefit is with the dwell time because of the lower bolt weight/spring tension. The sound signature is poppier than my dm7 but the shot feel is on par. And the efficiency is way better. I know this isn't an accurate testing (i don't have the paint or air to do so) but shooting 1 pod of redemption out my stock ul moved the gauge from ~1100 to ~900psi. Anyway, I think i'm going to be satisfied with my $300 purchase. eclipse and techt!

Forgot to mention I cleaned all the lube off the bolt and bolt guide from the previous owner. There was some crusty stuff really stuck to the spring. I cleaned that off the best i could. There's alot more scratches on the bolt and guide than what abe shows in his pics on his. My assumption is the lube on the bolt/guide is holding dirt or bolt material that wears off there and causes more scratching. I would do what Jack W. said and don't grease it.
Interesting. I will have to dwell tune and see what happens, I have tons of leftover paint from this past weekend.

I probably will stop greasing/oiling the bolt guide, I can live with the wear on this gun.

What differences did you notice when using the stock bolt with the MRT spring? Did it shoot softer than the all stock setting? I'm guessing it would but not work well with lowering the dwell and thats where the MRT bolt shines.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 PM #12
kyle=aggalicious
killin w/ SoFla's Finest

the only difference with the dwell that low was with the stock bolt/spring. The velocity dropped. I would imagine you would see some drop off at some point (i didn't ramp with the stock setup). I hadn't tried going any lower than 7 on the dwell with the mrt so far. The velocity did go down to the 280's (from upper 290's-305). I think with the velocity starting to drop like that would be were you would want to stop. Otherwise, you'd be increasing the input pressure and negating the benefits
I went back and forth with the stock bolt/mrt spring vs. mrt spring/mrt bolt a few times and the velocity increase was nearly the same. I also noticed the mrt bolt is more loose than the stock bolt on the firing poppit.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 PM #13
kyle=aggalicious
killin w/ SoFla's Finest

oops, i need to make a correction. my dwell was at 8. I was trying to lower the dwell again and realized what i had done. And i don't think it will go any lower. I'm trying to put 7 in and doesn't seem to want to do that.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM #14
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

So switching the bolt/spring combos didn't make a difference much in velocity. How were the cycles? Was the stock bolt/MRT spring softer than the stock bolt/spring? I'll probably just end up doing the MRT bolt and spring and dwell tune.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM #15
kyle=aggalicious
killin w/ SoFla's Finest

i was thinking about that this morning. I figured the velocity is increased because of the lighter tension in the mrt spring. It doesn't matter if it's with the stock bolt or mrt bolt because the spring is acting as your "return" dwell. The lighter the tension the longer your bolt stays forward, keeping the dump chamber open longer. Stock spring returns the bolt quicker. I think the magic happens when you use the mrt bolt/spring together because you can lower your dwell. You can still keep the dump chamber open long enough with the lower dwell to maintain the right fps without costing you efficiency, and reduce your reciprocating mass.
If all that be the case and i'm not wrong, it makes me wonder why PE didn't make the bolt/spring like that in the first place. I'm not the engineer or designer, but the results are obvious. Not dramatic, but i can feel it. Maybe there would be an issue with the bolt material not lasting as long as the stock and that was the balance they reached with reliability and performance. That would be the one flaw of the mrt. The material the bolt is made of is lighter, but i don't think it will last as long. I base that on the amount of scratching on the bolt from the spring. But i mentioned before the previous owner had a lot of grease on everything that shouldn't have, and i think that contributed to the wear i'm seeing.
Nicky T or Jack feel free to weigh in
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM #16
kyle=aggalicious
killin w/ SoFla's Finest

and i tried again to set the dwell below 8 this morning and it wouldn't take it. The manual says it is adjustable from 1 to 15. Maybe it's a built in parameter because the marker would not function with the stock bolt under that dwell?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM #17
kyle=aggalicious
killin w/ SoFla's Finest

Quote:
i was thinking about that this morning. I figured the velocity is increased because of the lighter tension in the mrt spring. It doesn't matter if it's with the stock bolt or mrt bolt because the spring is acting as your "return" dwell. The lighter the tension the longer your bolt stays forward, keeping the dump chamber open longer. Stock spring returns the bolt quicker. I think the magic happens when you use the mrt bolt/spring together because you can lower your dwell. You can still keep the dump chamber open long enough with the lower dwell to maintain the right fps without costing you efficiency, and reduce your reciprocating mass.
If all that be the case and i'm not wrong, it makes me wonder why PE didn't make the bolt/spring like that in the first place. I'm not the engineer or designer, but the results are obvious. Not dramatic, but i can feel it. Maybe there would be an issue with the bolt material not lasting as long as the stock and that was the balance they reached with reliability and performance. That would be the one flaw of the mrt. The material the bolt is made of is lighter, but i don't think it will last as long. I base that on the amount of scratching on the bolt from the spring. But i mentioned before the previous owner had a lot of grease on everything that shouldn't have, and i think that contributed to the wear i'm seeing.
Nicky T or Jack feel free to weigh in
It seems Jack has already addressed this issue in the Techt mrt release thread. I hadnt considered the bolt speed increasing, potentially causing problems with fragile paint.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:44 PM #18
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
and i tried again to set the dwell below 8 this morning and it wouldn't take it. The manual says it is adjustable from 1 to 15. Maybe it's a built in parameter because the marker would not function with the stock bolt under that dwell?
Most if not all boards always have dwell settings from 0 to whatever. Doesn't mean you can set it that low and it will work. That's why there's the stock value and the market is designed to work optimally at that setting.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 PM #19
theblackcat

Just purchased and Etha, thinking of getting the techt bolt, but not really interested in causing undue wear to my marker. Any updates to peoples experiences? So far the marks look fairly cosmetic and are mainly on pieces that are fairly cheaply replaceable. Anything inside the marker itself? Anything that looks potentially serious?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 AM #20
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackcat View Post
Just purchased and Etha, thinking of getting the techt bolt, but not really interested in causing undue wear to my marker. Any updates to peoples experiences? So far the marks look fairly cosmetic and are mainly on pieces that are fairly cheaply replaceable. Anything inside the marker itself? Anything that looks potentially serious?
Everything for me was cosmetic wear. The bolt, bolt guide, and some breach wear all showed. The anno or whatever outer surface was just fading off. It didn't affect how my Etha shot regardless after all of it.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM #21
eViLDuGy

I just bought the etha and techt mrt bolt, i spent some time setting this thing up today. I was able to set the dwell at 5ms and lower the pressure some from stock and stay at 285fps with the shaft 4 back of .685, this perplexes me as i was not expecting the gun to work at 5ms. I ran out of time today. I wanted to see how low the gun would go before it stopped working. (Is this odd? I mean 5ms and still working? any ideas?)
eViLDuGy is offline   Reply With Quote