Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM #1
chriscathro

Why a Hanging Scale to refill CO2 Tanks?

Hi, can anyone tell me why a hanging scale is recommended over a table top scale for filling 20 oz CO2 tanks? I currently have a berkley 50 lb scale which is widely recommended on a lot of paintball sites but I could not get it to measure the weight as it increased without re-zeroing it each time. Thinking I was doing something wrong I contacted the manufacturer and asked how to get the scale to give a constant read out from 0 - 19 oz as the cylinder filled without me having to keep resetting (zeroing) it. Low and behold they [Berkleys] responded and informed me "the scale is not designed for paintball applications, it is designed for weighing fish and once caught they do not increase in weight!". All very amusing but I am left wondering why so many paintball sites are recommending a product that the manufacturer says is not intended or suitable for paintball applications? This gets me back to my question why is everyone recommending a hanging scale over a good table top scale? Is there a technical reason for this?
chriscathro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM #2
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscathro View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me why a hanging scale is recommended over a table top scale for filling 20 oz CO2 tanks? I currently have a berkley 50 lb scale which is widely recommended on a lot of paintball sites but I could not get it to measure the weight as it increased without re-zeroing it each time. Thinking I was doing something wrong I contacted the manufacturer and asked how to get the scale to give a constant read out from 0 - 19 oz as the cylinder filled without me having to keep resetting (zeroing) it. Low and behold they [Berkleys] responded and informed me "the scale is not designed for paintball applications, it is designed for weighing fish and once caught they do not increase in weight!". All very amusing but I am left wondering why so many paintball sites are recommending a product that the manufacturer says is not intended or suitable for paintball applications? This gets me back to my question why is everyone recommending a hanging scale over a good table top scale? Is there a technical reason for this?
I've always taken recommendations on a paintball site with a grain of salt. People generally seem to just go off of what they heard from someone else, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is no benefit.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 PM #3
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
cptnemo66 is playing at Living Legends VII
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 is attending Decay of Nations VI
cptnemo66 supports Empire
Ive done it both ways and see no difference.
cptnemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 AM #4
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

was it increasing in weight due to the liquid co2 in the supply hose adding extra weight? i remember one time i asked the local field owner why they used a scale and he explained, then mentioned you just needed to use a bit of precaution when using the scale, best to be slightly less than full than overfilled.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 AM #5
moreys

moreys owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
moreys owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
moreys has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
moreys is attending Decay of Nations VII
moreys supports DLX Technology
I don't think it would make a different which on you use but the reason they use hanging is they are cheaper and the tank can't tip over when filling smaller bottles. Main reason is cheaper.
moreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM #6
chriscathro

Thanks guys Personally I could not come up with a logical technical reason for using a hanging scale rather than a tabletop model. I have checked some reputable tabletop manufacturers out and the price range is not that wide. I suppose the hanging models also give greater mobility being smaller and easier to move around with if necessary but I am willing to sacrifice that bonous in favour of a good tabletop. Thanks again for your assistance.
chriscathro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM #7
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Should probably note that the hanging scales allow you to keep filling the tank as you weigh it and you can look at it while standing up and filling.

It seems pointless if it's an at-home thing, but when your job is to fill... say... 20 tanks as fast as possible, every step and second counts and the longer you take, the longer the customer is without a tank.

In that regard, hanging > table.

You don't need to walk anywhere or move things with a hanging like you would a table top.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 AM #8
bneally
Soldier of the Empire

bneally plays in the PSP
bneally owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bneally plays in the APPA D4 division
This is the best answer. I worked at a paintball field from 1990-94 when I was in high school. Obviously this was a time in paintball when there was only C02. The hanging scale allowed you to be much quicker and more efficient in filling lots of tanks. We had the different tanks (20,7,3.5 oz) all marked on the readout. This included the tank and the hose adaptor weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Should probably note that the hanging scales allow you to keep filling the tank as you weigh it and you can look at it while standing up and filling.

It seems pointless if it's an at-home thing, but when your job is to fill... say... 20 tanks as fast as possible, every step and second counts and the longer you take, the longer the customer is without a tank.

In that regard, hanging > table.

You don't need to walk anywhere or move things with a hanging like you would a table top.
TradeMyGun.com
PaintballPlex.com
bneally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM #9
Dark Side
You will know the power

Annual Supporting Member
Dark Side is BST Trusted
Back when I had my business I used a digital table top scale and zero'd the tank every time. Had a few people complain as it would take longer than they wanted but I erred on the side of caution every time and only had an issue with tanks when the valve wouldn't seat correctly.

07/08 Ego Vici Board
Dust Black ShockTech AutoCocker snatch grip
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 AM #10
Trips

Trips plays in the PSP
Trips plays in the APPA beginner division
Speaking as a field manager with 29 years of experience in this industry. We use a table top scale...specifically an ultra ship 35 from a web site called old will knott scales. here is a link http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/se...hip+35&x=0&y=0The scale is primarily used, outside of paintball, as a postal scale i.e. weighing letters and packages. It has multiple settings Grams, Kilograms, Pounds, Ounce, we typically use the ounce setting and what is called the mailer tube attachment. this prevents the co2 bottle from moving around.
The hanging scales are not accurate due to the liquid moving through the line and inside the recieving vessel or the bottle. If you ever watch a bass tournament the weigh in at the end of the tournament uses a table scale while on the boat they will use the hand held to get an approximate weight per fish. The squirming fish makes an accurate read nearly impossible as does the liquid "sloshing" around the bottle.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM #11
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

has been a member for 10 years
It is just how the scale is programmed. They never took into account that people would be using it to weigh CO2 so it's not programmed to give a dynamic readout.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote