Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 PM #1
mr.aj

affordable indoor field!!!!!!wisco!!!12 months!!!

@chrishardy28@gmail.com

K so hear it is... Looking for some input..... What would Wisconsin and surrounding states think if there was an indoor regulation.P.S.P 5 man field.to play at 12 months a year near the Fox Valley???? Thats right regulation 5 man size.... INDOOR...... Also will be hosting 5 and 3 man tourneys immediately all seasons long, will be team practice friendly!!!!!! ...please Leave a comment...

http://s1154.beta.photobucket.com/us...rary/sl%20sale
mr.aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 AM #2
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

has been a member for 10 years
Here is how to calculate the number of people who will care:

Part one
As of today there are just under 300 teams signed up for World Cup.
There are another 150 teams who play NPPL
Let's be crazy and say there are approximately 500 actively competing teams
Let's go totally nuts and say there are another 500 teams that were created or saved by the stimulus package.
1000 Teams multiplied by a generous 8 players per team = 8000 players

Part two
The U.S. is approximately 3,797,813 square miles. If you subtract out Alaska, Hawaii and the territories, then the contiguous United States is approximately 3,119,885 square miles.

Part three
According to the last census there are 80.9 people per square mile living in the USA. 8000 players divided by 3,119,885 square miles = .0025 players per square mile

Part four
Assuming a travel distance of 50 miles...
Area of a circle = radius times pi*r squared
50 miles x 50 x 3.14 = 7850 square miles

Part five
Assuming an equal dispersion of players within the US
.0025 x 7850 There will be precisely 19.625 people who will care!

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM #3
paintballer187
187PB.COM

Annual Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a Moderator
paintballer187 is a Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a founding member
paintballer187 is BST Legit
paintballer187 works for a Paintball manufacturer
If the field is even close to as nice of a playing surface or has a decent staging area as what Stinger had I think you can do well in the winter. From what I heard Stinger had problems in the summer months with competing outdoor fields.

If it were me, I would see if you have the space for an indoor rec field as well and try to get rental guys and the average Joe paintball player in your field. The market for people wanting to play airball isn't as large. Also, if any part of your motivation to do this is fueled by your desire to play and have an indoor field you should rethink this plan. Without a solid business plan and thorough planning for a field like this it will not work out.
paintballer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 AM #4
Skipdogg

If your field is only a 5man indoor PSP field in fox valley, I dont see you lasting more than one season. In the summer not many people will come. Also catering to the tournament crowd is always a recipe for failure. If you need some first hand testimonials contact Biggie from Ke-West that was in kewauskum. His business plan was similar to yours. They lasted less than 2 years
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 AM #5
mr.aj

its not just 5 man, there will be woods ball and senario as well kid friendly with a rental shop and tech shop. just saying that it will be 5 man indoor friendly as well as having options for everyone

http://s1154.beta.photobucket.com/us...rary/sl%20sale
mr.aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM #6
GatSplat

Just thinking you might be in an area with too small a population to support such an endeavor... but best of luck!

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 AM #7
TeacherCreature

Lol delmarva
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM #8
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

These are two very different businesses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.aj View Post
@chrishardy28@gmail.com
K so hear it is... Looking for some input..... What would Wisconsin and surrounding states think if there was an indoor regulation.P.S.P 5 man field.to play at 12 months a year near the Fox Valley???? Thats right regulation 5 man size.... INDOOR...... Also will be hosting 5 and 3 man tourneys immediately all seasons long, will be team practice friendly!!!!!! ...please Leave a comment...
Quote:
its not just 5 man, there will be woods ball and senario as well kid friendly with a rental shop and tech shop. just saying that it will be 5 man indoor friendly as well as having options for everyone
I may be wrong, but my guess is the first post more closely reflects your real interest. That is fine and you are going to do whatever you are going to do... but that approach almost always leads to failure.

With a lot of effort and starting capitol, a field that caters to recreational players and sometimes does tournaments style games has a small chance of success.

With even more effort and starting capitol, a field that caters to tournament players and sometimes does recreation style games has a tiny chance of success.

With a ton more effort and a huge pile of starting capitol an indoor field that caters to tournament players and sometimes does recreational games has a miniscule chance of success.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 PM #9
Gackattack

Gackattack owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Hello. 1st off i would like to personally thank all the comments.. My name os Chris Hardy for whoever cares (ps clever)This is my post without being connected... But would like to say a few quick things..rep from Delmarva Paintball aka collecting nickels... I assume you enjoy possible even say and tell people you love paintball and the.sport...This is what my field will represent... Actuall people who love.the.sport and turning new people onto the great sport...i do really appreciate the US population per sq ft lesson. I actually learned something assuming you know what your talking about. How about this ill offer you free entry to any style game SCENARIO,AIRBALL,WOODS,whatever tourney... Bring a team bring two good teams.... The midwest guys WILL and CAN paintball we would love to see it.... Just saying
Gackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 AM #10
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Gackattack,

You assume that since I am "collecting nickles" I tell people that I love the sport. Actually, for 20 years I have participated in all types of paintball and think the sport side of it is pretty lousy, full of asshats and cheaters, and a horrible business model. The game of paintball however can be a whole lot of fun.

The challenge you offer is an example of the sort of thing that makes paintball not so fun. You suggest I should bring two good teams and you would have your Midwest guys "WILL and CAN paintball". What does that mean exactly? Would it go down like the OK Corral? Or more like West Side Story?

If your offer was to bring some friends to visit your field and you would show us a great time on some exciting and creative fields then go out for a beer and talk shop... I would have actually considered it and it wouldn't be the first time I traveled across the country (or the world for that matter) to play paintball and hang out with other field owners.

Parts of your post are hard to decipher so I am not sure if you and Mr AJ. are together in this venture or if you are the same person. In either case I am now doubly convinced that you are approaching this the wrong way and headed towards failure.

Life is full of choices. The one in front of you is this... You can be offended by the fact that I say your idea will fail or you can figure out why I stand by that position.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 AM #11
GatSplat

It's the same guy.... you can tell by the punctuation. The funny thing about this forum, is time after time, 21 year old (or younger) kids come in here and ask questions about their idea for a tourney field. Time and time again actual field owners, and people who have owned fields, tell them that their concept is probably not going to work out the way they planned it. Time and time again, they get upset and tell field owners they don't know what they are talking about.

Such consistency!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 AM #12
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
It's the same guy.... you can tell by the punctuation. The funny thing about this forum, is time after time, 21 year old (or younger) kids come in here and ask questions about their idea for a tourney field. Time and time again actual field owners, and people who have owned fields, tell them that their concept is probably not going to work out the way they planned it. Time and time again, they get upset and tell field owners they don't know what they are talking about.

Such consistency!
It's hard to have your dream squashed. People aren't all going to take it with good humour.

Most people think about starting a paintball field while they are standing in front of the counter at the paintball field. We (the field owners) know that it is quite different behind the counter. But when all you have done is stood in front of the counter, regularly emptying out your pockets and spending lots of money on your hobby, you equate your spending of lots of money being equal to the guy behind the counter making lots of money. Unless you have experience running a business, that's the conclusion most people will jump to.

The other big misconception for people who have not owned a business, is thinking that if their prices are a little lower than the other guy's, but still provide an equal product/service (or maybe even better), they will attract more people, have more sales and make even more money. Unfortunately, as we know, it doesn't work quite like that.

The funniest thing people with no business experience (and apparently not much brain matter) think is that if a business has an expense and it's tax deductible, then it's free and it doesn't cost the business anything. That's getting a little off topic, but I always have to facepalm when I hear someone say, "Sure it cost them $xxx, but it's tax deductible". So what?!
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM #13
Skipdogg

And once again bad punctuation, spelling, clear ideas, etc. That is also consistent. I really wish paintball had more professionalism in all aspects of it. Fields are rarely started by anyone with a business background, or business sense. It's mostly just 'ballas' looking to be the next greatest thing. Industry has a lot of 'ballas' in it too. Thats when you see the chest puffing, trash talk, back door antics, etc.
Argh. But whatever, I STILL LOVE THE SPORT!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM #14
Gackattack

Mr GatSplat again appreciate the comments... And Mr Collecting Nickels well Its truly to bad your in Virginia because I do think eventually you and I can be good friends. Would love for you and a couple guys to come see what im doing and hang out for a few days have a few beers as we enjoy to do in Wisconsin. Check out the several different field layouts and game setups I have worked out. Ill even get you a place to stay. As far as age I Haven't been 21 for YEARS but thanks for making me feel young again. This Venture will happen. Wisconsin and surrounding states are excited about it. Maybe ill just open up another 30,000 sq ft in my building and do the Largest Indoor Scenario field EVER.... Like that Idea?????
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM #15
GatSplat

If you are really going to open an indoor field, I would highly suggest you read my blog... then hop down to Dallas and check out what we are doing.

http://scubatoys.com/paintball/start...d/Foreword.asp

I'm from Milwaukee and get up there a few times a year, so next time I'm there, I can make the drive up there and check out what you have going.

And if you're not 21, then how come it shows in your profile that you are - born in 1991.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM #16
Gackattack

Funny thing is I am involved in two very successful company's. When the doors open on this field I wont be able or have any time to paintball anymore... And I agree gentlemen its all about your business layout and lets be honest from the couple small basic field operations I mentioned here you guys assume you know what is happening.. Punctuation Skipdog I truly apologize but been reading this stuff and commenting via my phone as I am on the road (Doing Business) setting up my field. And Thanks TNT but i will say NO ONE is squashing this venture...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 AM #17
Gackattack

My name Is Chris Hardy born in 79 find me on fb or email me chrishardy28@gmail.com or call me 920-257-9436
Logged in on my tech guys account... So have you played at Brew City then? Would love to have you come up. And I am looking to do some traveling and meeting people around the nation involved with this great sport
Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM #18
Skipdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackattack View Post
Wisconsin and surrounding states are excited about it.

Just my $.02
Don't make ANY business decisions based on what players tell you on PBN. I am monitoring your thread in the Wisconsin forum. If you seem serious to them, they will of course tell you to do it. It's not their money, what do they care. They will also tell you they will be there all the time, blah blah blah. They will tell you what prices to charge too. If you get 5-10 loyal repeat customers for more than 1 year off the wisconsin forum, consider yourself lucky.
Also, I would not rely on PBN as a source of advertising. Posting a event etc. is one thing, but expecting to get all your customers from that is just not going to happen.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 AM #19
Gackattack

Thank you Larry from GatSplat... I look forward to getting down to see you sometime soon.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM #20
Gackattack

Appreciate it SkipDog... PBN will not be my source of advertisement. I was simply looking for some input which I have received lol
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM #21
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Chris,

I never mentioned your age because I don't think it is a factor. Besides, being 21 or 31 doesn't make your idea any more likely to succeed.

I totally understand being defensive about your dream. I get like that too. I really do hope it works out for you. However, from what I have seen of your approach I still feel you are headed in the wrong direction.

You say you have been "involved" with two businesses. I don't know what that means and I don't know the extent of your business experience but you should at least pause to consider why so many field owners first reaction to your idea was negative.