Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 AM #1
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

rdm3000 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Buying a used Ford Ranger. Need help

Hey guys, been looking at ford rangers for awhile now. Found one thats local and seems like a semi good deal. Not sure what I should offer or if I should pass this up for another. Owner is asking 4200. I will be paying cash

going to look at this truck today to possibly purchase.

2000 Ford Ranger XLT. 94,800 miles. V6, Flex fuel. Automatic. Air. Power windows. Cruise control. Bed liner. Tow package.

The right side has like a foot tall scratch on it that's about 9 inches long.

This is what the owner said about the truck:

Quote:
My father bought this truck used....probably eight or nine years ago. He gave it to our daughter two years ago when she turned 16. She drove it to school and work....both only several miles from home. She is now going to college in Nashville and we are tired of juggling three vehicles.

Before Dad gave it to her he put on new tires (still in good shape) and had some brake work done. Since then we have maintained it. Replaced the window regulator (driver's side) 10/11. Changed the serpentine belt, idler pulley, and had the throttle body cleaned in 2/12. Pump pulley in 2/12. Winter of 2/11 we were sitting at a stopsign when someone's vehicle slid into the back of the truck. The tailgate was replaced at that time. Otherwise the guys that work on it tell me it's in great shape. When it was given to us we were told it had a small/slow oil leak. We have recently started using better quality oil in our changes and it has helped. Has not been a problem. Am told this is very common with these trucks...and older cars/trucks.

It's twelve years old so yes there are some scratches. There is one spot on the passenger side that looks like something is going on with the paint. No rust under the body that I can detect.

Yes a test drive and mechanic looking at it would be fine.

Any of you car people have any idea what I should offer?

follow me on instagram @mrryanmckee
rdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 AM #2
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Buddy just got the same one, it has 10k more miles and needed a PS pump

Picked it up for $800, dropped $320 in parts. Runs fine now.

What would I offer him? $1300. Than again trucks like that go for dirt cheap around here.
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 PM #3
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

Is there anything I should point out to him for reasons for not offering the listed price?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM #4
lowbudgethero
Boomer

You could get a regular F150 with similar miles and year for the same price and it's a much more capable truck
lowbudgethero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM #5
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

you'd be a dummy if that's a 2wd and has the 3.slow engine. either go for the 4 cyl or the 4.0 6 cyl. the 3 liter has the power of the 4 cyl engine with the gas mileage of the 4 liter 6 cyl. it's even worse with an autotragic. you can do much better than that, keep looking. there's one around here that's 4wd with a 4 liter engine and a stick with similar (but less) mileage, a year newer and in much cleaner shape and they're asking 5.

oil leaks are common on rangers? yeah right. mine's got 242k on the original engine and it doesn't use or leak a drop of oil.

**** this bozo. keep looking.

Last edited by Milky Spore : 09-12-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Milky Spore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM #6
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Spore View Post
you'd be a dummy if that's a 2wd and has the 3.slow engine. either go for the 4 cyl or the 4.0 6 cyl. the 3 liter has the power of the 4 cyl engine with the gas mileage of the 4. it's even worse with an autotragic. you can do much better than that, keep looking. there's one around here that's 4wd with a 4 liter engine and a stick with similar (but less) mileage, a year newer and in much cleaner shape and they're asking 5.
wow just noticed the flex fuel part, yeah unless you're producing your own corn ethanol on your farm... the truck isn't worth it
lowbudgethero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:07 PM #7
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

As has been said, you can get a full sized truck for 4 grand. If I were looking in mini-trucks, I'd get an S10 with the V6 in it. That things a decent little truck. We loved ours.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 PM #8
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
As has been said, you can get a full sized truck for 4 grand.
not everyone wants or needs a full size though. i absolutely hate full size trucks. i drive an F550 every day at work and it's a pain in my ****ing ***. even my mom's newer dakota borders on full size pretty well. hell, i'd like an even smaller truck than my 96 2wd ranger. all i really need it for is to haul a motorcycle, some wood and tools. you can get all that done just as easily with a small truck as you could with a full size.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 PM #9
randomdean100

Quote:
not everyone wants or needs a full size though. i absolutely hate full size trucks. i drive an F550 every day at work and it's a pain in my ****ing ***. even my mom's newer dakota borders on full size pretty well. hell, i'd like an even smaller truck than my 96 2wd ranger. all i really need it for is to haul a motorcycle, some wood and tools. you can get all that done just as easily with a small truck as you could with a full size.
El Camino
PBN modsquad - lols for brains

Purdue jersey and more F/S
randomdean100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 PM #10
Rampager2000

Quote:
Pulling a good load of wood with a small truck would tear it up.

I wasn't trying to say he had to. If I only had a few grand, I'd probably go V6 S10 with a 5 speed in it over an older full sized.

I was only offering recommendations for him. (Also, F550 is a much bigger truck than, say, your typical Silverado or so)

Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 PM #11
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

I do not want a full size pick up. I want something small, that has good gas mileage, that is cheap, automatic, and has power locks and windows and A/C and cd player, and domestic.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM #12
AABanned

AABanned is playing at Living Legends VI
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Get a car then.

Seriously though, get a tacoma.
AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 AM #13
mymutter
I crack myself up!

mymutter supports Team VICIOUS
mymutter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Sorry, just read the title and took it as
"Buying a Ford Ranger, I need help"

Good luck getting what you want,
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM #14
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by AABanned View Post
Get a car then.

Seriously though, get a tacoma.
Small trucks - Tacoma.
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM #15
cvm973
Supra owner

Get a Dakota with the big 4.7 and thank me later
Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 PM #16
razz

I dont really see how using better quality oil helped stop the oil leak that this vehicle supposedly had
Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM #17
randomdean100

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz View Post
I dont really see how using better quality oil helped stop the oil leak that this vehicle supposedly had
Possibly just a heavier weight oil.
PBN modsquad - lols for brains

Purdue jersey and more F/S
randomdean100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM #18
Kenny_McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz View Post
High mileage oils contain chemicals that swell up old dried seals.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 AM #19
atomicbadgerman
bewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm3000 View Post
I do not want a full size pick up. I want something small, that has good gas mileage, that is cheap, automatic, and has power locks and windows and A/C and cd player, and domestic.
Then don't look at rangers.

Current Car: Centrifugally Turbo-charged 2008 V4 ford.

Also, I have a stock Maxima. It runs 12's
atomicbadgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:37 AM #20
Rampager2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm3000 View Post
I still recommend a S10. Not that I have anything against the Ford Ranger, just everyone I've ever known who had one had a lot of issues with it. Of course, this is just my personal experience. That S10 V6 with a 5 speed is a nasty little truck, though.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:01 AM #21
Jules Winnfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbadgerman View Post
Then don't look at rangers.
Well... according to published MPG from the EPA anyways, the Ranger, Tacoma, and S10 are all pretty similar in gas mileage for the 4 cylinder engine anyways.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote