jamest91 supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 AM #716
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Man View Post
Because Romney is gonna save us soooooooooooooooooo much money right?
What does what I said have to do with Romney?

Quote:
Actually it's more than possible to be both, just as it's possible to be a liberal libertarian.

Asinine graph and asinine distinction.

So you don't get lost: being socially liberal, ie maximizing individual autonomy, is incompatible with conservatism.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 10-31-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 AM #717
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
So you don't get lost: being socially liberal, ie maximizing individual autonomy, is incompatible with conservatism.
No it's not, but feel free to try to explain yourself. My bet is you go off topic and avoid this. The more accurate statement is economic liberalism is incompatible with social liberalism.

Last edited by Blake360 : 10-31-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 AM #718
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
No it's not, but feel free to try to explain yourself. My bet is you go off topic and avoid this. The more accurate statement is economic liberalism is incompatible with social liberalism.
The link between the two is "maximizing individual autonomy" in simplest terms. There are others, like being fans of social contract theory, but the big one is autonomy.

I have yet to be convinced that it is possible for an economic system to be inherently conservative or liberal. Maybe youll be the one to change that.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM #719
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
I can't believe Blake is the only conservative who posts here regularly. Are the mods here liberal biased? One would think a website based around a sport played with guns would be a little less Prius and a lot more F150.
Actually it leans pretty conservative
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM #720
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I can't believe Blake is the only conservative who posts here regularly. Are the mods here liberal biased? One would think a website based around a sport played with guns would be a little less Prius and a lot more F150.
You and blake are retarded, not conservative.

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Tafari Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM #721
Umami
"That guy"

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I don't believe I said liberal. I appreciate the posts of Tafari, Barrel (sometimes), occasionally swerve, and many others. To be honest, I learn more from someone like Tafari who can present a valid counter-argument than I do someone presenting an argument of my own. Also, this forum has people like f1 who knows much more about the enviorment and l2k who knows much more about the economy. If we could weed out the ****ty posters (yourself included), this place wouldn't be half bad (but it would lose significant entertainment value).
Bummer, didn't get a shout out.

Quote:
Anyone who believes libertarians are conservatives needs to have their heads examined.
I ran across an interesting piece regarding this the other day, actually. The article's intent was discussing the Koch takover of Cato, but got a little into asking why the institue tends to align itself with the GOP.

http://bigthink.com/the-moral-scienc...stitute?page=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafari Makonnen View Post
The anti-intellectual threads woven by the GOP have not been kind.

Last edited by Umami : 10-31-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM #722
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Most of the posts people make involve their personal opinion and feelings replacing a genuine analysis of the situation and fair treatment of both arguments. Very rarely do I see genuine understanding and fair consideration given to both sides of a situation. This goes for this forum and real life.

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 AM #723
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Most of the posts people make involve their personal opinion and feelings replacing a genuine analysis of the situation and fair treatment of both arguments. Very rarely do I see genuine understanding and fair consideration given to both sides of a situation. This goes for this forum and real life.
Unfortunately that requires people to understand that another person's opinion is based on differing fundamental initial assertions, each nearly as subjective as the next, which is an understanding that the majority of the general population severely lacks.

In US politics, the result is people spend a lot of time arguing over details.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM #724
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post

I ran across an interesting piece regarding this the other day, actually. The article's intent was discussing the Koch takover of Cato, but got a little into asking why the institue tends to align itself with the GOP.

http://bigthink.com/the-moral-scienc...stitute?page=3
That is interesting. I'm fairly ignorant on Cato, I'll admit. From what I gather, it appears that Cato is intent on betraying libertarianism rather than serving as an example of it. The author makes a point to put the libertarian position in parentheses next to the social positions mentioned.

While we are here I do want to throw out one observation on political alignment and economic policy. The free market position is, itself, a form of radical individualism. The sort that finds its way into all forms of liberalism. I for see that last bit needing clarification. I'll be happy to oblige.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM #725
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Blake said I only like liberal posters. I posted conservative posters that I like as well. I didn't think you were a conservative. Am I wrong?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM #726
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Blake said I only like liberal posters. I posted conservative posters that I like as well. I didn't think you were a conservative. Am I wrong?
Ah, I see. No, I tend to lean progressive, although of late find myself attracted to left-libertarianism.

Quote:
The free market position is, itself, a form of radical individualism. The sort that finds its way into all forms of liberalism. I for see that last bit needing clarification. I'll be happy to oblige.
Why do you add the qualifier 'radical'?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM #727
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Why do you add the qualifier 'radical'?
I got caught up in the moment. I used it because Libertarians always argue for a Free-As-**** market. I do consider that fairly radical. Even though I can't stand that word.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 AM #728
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider me to be?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 AM #729
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider me to be?
You are something of your own, my friend.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM #730
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
You are something of your own, my friend.
That was most unexpected.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM #731
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
That was most unexpected.
You're obviously a LIEberal as you're not blatantly for Romney or Johnson/Paul.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 PM #732
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
You're obviously a LIEberal as you're not blatantly for Romney or Johnson/Paul.
Clearly, I pledge allegiance to the hamburger and the sickle.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM #733
Soul Man
free

Quote:
I hope you didn't spend all day thinking that up. But go ahead please enlighten us some more with your your intelligence. It's really hard to believe you are not voting for Obama considering your constant idiocy in this thread. You post just like a liberal.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM #734
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I hope you didn't spend all day thinking that up. But go ahead please enlighten us some more with your your intelligence. It's really hard to believe you are not voting for Obama considering your constant idiocy in this thread. You post just like a liberal.
And how, exactly, does a "liberal" post? Because I know how a retard posts, and you young man, are a retard.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM #735
Soul Man
free

Quote:
And how, exactly, does a "liberal" post? Because I know how a retard posts, and you young man, are a retard.
Keep spewing your idiocy. It suits you.