Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM #253
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest91 View Post
thats why i said IMO....
I read an interesting article about the problem of people feeling entitled to have an opinion devoid of facts... I'll see if I can dig it up.
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM #254
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
i bet you've done a TON of research to support that conclusion too...
I think there is a European country that backs that up... sort of. I mean, we're just looking for statistics right? I love statistics, I can tell you that deer killed more people than dogs and bees/wasps combined last year. Deer. Bambi.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts

Last edited by barrel roll : 10-15-2012 at 01:47 PM.
barrel roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:46 PM #255
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Then why did your liberal MSN overlords report on it? And why is 50% of the country in favor of marijuana legalization? And why are most of these people liberals?
Were you always such a wanker?
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM #256
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Dear Blake360,

If you were born prior to the eighteenth amendment to the US Constitution, would you have been a feminist?

Sincerely,
An Imaginative Conservative
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:57 PM #257
licence2kill
POOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
I think there is a European country that backs that up... sort of. I mean, we're just looking for statistics right? I love statistics, I can tell you that deer killed more people than dogs and bees/wasps combined last year. Deer. Bambi.
The statistics game is one which advocates of looser gun control probably should steer clear of.
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM #258
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
thats why i said IMO.... I believe that if gun laws were less strict and open carry was allowed crime would go down.
http://theconversation.edu.au/no-you...r-opinion-9978

If you're going to wave your arms and shout "THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD WORKS IN MY HEAD" do us all a favor and don't bother posting.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 10-15-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:36 PM #259
jamest91

jamest91 helped look for balloons
jamest91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jamest91 is for the Gunfight
jamest91 supports Sherwood Forest
Sorry I am just a supporter of "More Guns, Less Crime." A good article about my "opinion" is seen here as well:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...es_106057.html

Basically I believe that the more people that carry guns or states that have less gun control, meaning theres the possibility of a person having a gun on them, would most likely scare away possible burglars or people about to commit violent crime.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM #260
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I read an interesting article about the problem of people feeling entitled to have an opinion devoid of facts... I'll see if I can dig it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Get out of my brain!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM #261
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Quote:
Get out of my brain!
I posted it a few days ago, you probably read it then.

Quote:
Basically I believe...
I don't care, you haven't made the case that reality reflects your narrative.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM #262
spreadhawknine

spreadhawknine owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
spreadhawknine owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
mitt romney
spreadhawknine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM #263
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Dear Blake360,

If you were born prior to the eighteenth amendment to the US Constitution, would you have been a feminist?

Sincerely,
An Imaginative Conservative
No I would have been a libertarian.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM #264
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Regarding Lott:

Quote:
The existence of a widely cited study based on the statistical analysis of a massive dataset that is invoked in both political and popular circles as an argument against most forms of gun control suggests that careful scrutiny of the empirical evidence is warranted. Lott and Mustard based their analysis on the current state-of-the-art technique of micro-econometric evaluation - a panel data model with fixed effects.13 That is, Lott and Mustard began by collecting data over a period of years (1977-1992) for individual states and counties across the United States, and then used panel data regression techniques to estimate the effect of the adoption of shall-issue laws, controlling for an array of social, economic, and demographic factors.14 In earlier work, we commented on concerns that we had about model reliability based on Lott's analysis of 1977-1992 data evaluating the effect of the adoption of shall-issue laws in ten states.15 We opined on the potential theoretical and empirical infirmities in that analysis, and noted the value in further study given that more state adoptions and the passage of time would likely either strengthen Lott's case if it were true or weaken it if it were false. Having extended the state data through 1999 and the county dataset through 1997, we are now able to test that prediction. We conclude that Lott and Mustard have made an important scholarly contribution in establishing that these laws have not led to the massive bloodbath of death and injury that some of their opponents feared. On the other hand, we find that the statistical evidence that these laws have reduced crime is limited, sporadic, and extraordinarily fragile. Minor changes of specifications can generate wide shifts in the estimated effects of these laws, and some of the most persistent findings such as the association of shall-issue laws with increases in (or no effect on) robbery and with substantial increases in various types of property crime are not consistent with any plausible theory of deterrence. Indeed, the probabilistic underpinnings of statistical analysis suggest that running regressions for nine different crime categories to see if there is any measurable impact on crime will, by chance alone, frequently generate estimates that on their face are "statistically significant." Therefore, it may well be the case that the scattered negative coefficients for various violent crime categories, which on their face suggest that crime decreases with passage of shall-issue laws, should be thought of as statistical artifacts.16 While we do not want to overstate the strength of the conclusions that can be drawn from the extremely variable results emerging from the statistical analysis, if anything, there is stronger evidence for the conclusion that these laws increase crime than there is for the conclusion that they decrease it.
http://islandia.law.yale.edu/ayers/A...ue_article.pdf

What you want to do with that information is up to you. Formulate an opinion that arises from your beliefs. For example, "I believe that preservation of individual liberty to own a gun outweighs the potential increases in crime due to such policies" is a well-formed opinion based on a set of beliefs that can certainly be argued.

Some bull**** narrative about reduced gun control causing crime rates to go down because cowboys will save the day isn't an opinion, it's fiction. It's an attempt to force your beliefs on reality instead of using your beliefs to guide your reactions to reality.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM #265
Blake360

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/20...-out-idol-feud
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM #266
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

High quality post, as always, Blake.

P.S. They are looking for you in the climate change thread.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 PM #267
Iamamartianchurch

He's the gem of the forum.

Ironically, libertarians are a branch of liberalism.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM #268
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
He's the gem of the forum.

Ironically, libertarians are a branch of liberalism.
They're not a branch of anything, actually
Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 PM #269
$h@key J0nEZ
Southern By The

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadhawknine View Post
mitt romney
is 2 faced

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so.” - Ronald Reagan

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one." - Alexander Hamilton
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM #270
bb6kid

bb6kid plays in the PSP
bb6kid plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Almost every study imaginable shows that decreasing poverty and inequality has positive benefits for the whole country, culture, and economy.
AND ALMOST EVERY STUDY SHOWS THAT UNDER THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION POVERTY HASNT DECREASED THEREFORE TAXING MORE AND GIVING TO THE POOR ISNT WORKING!!!! YOU CANT BUY PEOPLES WAY OUT OF POVERTY! THE EFFECTS ARE NEGATIVE TO THE ECONOMY, CULTURE AND COUNTRY
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM #271
Frank101
legit legit legit

Frank101 is a Supporting Member
Frank101 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Frank101 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Frank101 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
The exceptions do not make the rule. Most vocal supporters of marijuana legalization are users themselves. Considering the other major issues the nation faces, marijuana ought to sit near dead ****ing last on people's priority lists. Right now it is a trivial issue.

Its obvious I rustled your feathers. You are overly passionate about this issue so I think it's fair to say that you are a stoner.
Well this is the internet and there is no way to prove or disprove my response to follow.

I've tried cannabis 4 times 4 separate occasions 4 different ways (vaporizer, bong, pipe, and brownie). I don't think I ever got high, to be honest I don't know personally what that feeling is. All I felt was dry mouth and light headed/migraine for a few hours after. So I just said **** it and stopped trying.

The reason I am passionate about it is because I resent the lies I've been told growing up about it. The reasons and history for actually banning it were not because of it's effects. It was bull**** propaganda to protect certain industries and for racists to declare it was a terrible drug. There are people willing to lobby for increased funding of the drug war to keep people in prison, ruining their lives, because it gives themselves job security and benefits.

And, I'm not sure how truthful the medical benefits are about it, but if it makes a cancer patient feel better and willing to eat after chemo, its a good enough reason in and of itself. I don't see why we should force that person to use prescriptions that can be more dangerous than the plant or force them to buy some over priced THC pill because cannabis is illegal and likely cause more unnecessary suffering.

It seems incredibly hypocritical that the last 3 presidents we've had, admitted to using, and had they been caught, could have had their lives ruined and never even become president. They were willing (and Obama still is willing) to prosecute people for it. Not to mention something like 1/3 IIRC of Americans admit to at least trying it. So no, I have no personal gain from legalizing it short of requiring it for relief from some debilitating or illness.

And to be perfectly honest, I don't like the idea of not being in control, I've gotten drunk one time (this year actually and I'm 22). But you think that people only support an issue because they themselves are directly affected by it. I am not, nor do I know anyone in jail over cannabis. It is possible to have empathy for others if you have an adequate understanding of it which I feel that I do.
"Originally posted by pokenose: We quit doing that secret Santa thing after the black guy got a bucket of fried chicken, watermelon jolly ranchers, a bottle of colt 45 and a cotton scented candle then someone else got a ball of that free twine you tie down your items with at ikea and a vibrator so you can go **** yourself if you didn't like the twine."

"Originally posted by AlphaNeo36:
Election fraud is perfectly acceptable when it intends to keep Ron Paul out of the White House."
Frank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM #272
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb6kid View Post
AND ALMOST EVERY STUDY SHOWS THAT UNDER THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION POVERTY HASNT DECREASED THEREFORE TAXING MORE AND GIVING TO THE POOR ISNT WORKING!!!! YOU CANT BUY PEOPLES WAY OUT OF POVERTY! THE EFFECTS ARE NEGATIVE TO THE ECONOMY, CULTURE AND COUNTRY
OH REALLY?

We have been and are still recovering from a huge recession caused by war and conservative policies. Obama's plan and policies aren't in a vacuum.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:16 PM #273
Blake360

Quote:
OH REALLY?

We have been and are still recovering from a huge recession caused by war and conservative policies. Obama's plan and policies aren't in a vacuum.
Those conservative policies you mention are currently being used by Obama, including the wars, so I don't see how you're furthering your liberal cause with this post.