Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: As a whole, are unions needed?
Yes 32 40.00%
No 48 60.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2012, 12:02 AM #1
Animal_Mother (Banned)
Kill 'em All

Do we need unions?

Times have changed, so have the needs of workers and unions. Do the unions of today represent the needs of the workers of today?
Animal_Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 AM #2
Pballerjosh
User Title Here

Pballerjosh is a Paintball photographer
Pballerjosh plays in the APPA D3 division
I would argue that there are several cases were unions have spun out of control (i.e. Teachers). However on the whole I'd still say they do more good than bad.

TESC
Pballerjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:13 AM #3
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Wants more than needs.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:13 AM #4
rT159
BlackOps

When unions get greedy, good people suffer. Forget the teachers, look how bad the refs are for the NFL.
rT159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 AM #5
Animal_Mother (Banned)
Kill 'em All

Regular refs suck about as much dick as these replacement refs. As far as the teachers go, I'd give their union a little more respect if we weren't ranked amongst such ****ty countries as far as our standardized tests go. If we were a "smarter" nation as far as the public schools go, then sure, give the public school teachers more of what they want. Unions started out as such a great concept but have been taken over by bureaucrats, thieves, and crooks.

^
My personal opinion, I speak for no one else.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 AM #6
da_mink

would need to auctually start funding education then

VLN
da_mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 AM #7
Animal_Mother (Banned)
Kill 'em All

lol at the notion of us NOT funding education already
Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 AM #8
F1VENOM

This says it all.

"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 AM #9
da_mink

given the scale of education, it receives very little funding.

77 million kids are k-12 alone. another 20 or so million are in college.

VLN
da_mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 AM #10
Umami
"That guy"

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_Mother View Post
lol at the notion of us NOT funding education already
I don't think I've seen a more direct example of "ignorance begets ignorance".
Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 AM #11
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

Obviously they're somewhat needed. They didn't pop up outta nowhere for no reason. They have started spinning out of control. Some markets need it much more than others.
SupraSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 AM #12
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Absolutely needed, problem is the public has been convinced they are not. It's not a coincidence that, upon said convincing, the economy almost went belly-up.

Unions are a free-market solution to worker exploitation. Anyone who is a believer in markets, and ESPECIALLY those that distrust government solutions, should support unions wholeheartedly as a check on corporate power.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 AM #13
Fat_Joe
$OG$

Fat_Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat_Joe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Unions are the ****. Anyone who hates them, hasnt worked for one, or worked for a ****ty one.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 AM #14
SevenGold-IV
Just the Tipp

Unions are very beneficial, and still necessary, but really foster the 'us vs. them' mentality within the workplace. I am part of a union at my job and see it do more good than harm.
However, certain aspects of unions do not sit well with me. The seniority system is the union gold standard for job promotion- which is bull****. I see this system protect the laziest of my co-workers and cost my employer untold sums in overtime to pick up their slack. There should always be a performance expectation and seniority should be second. Especially with teachers.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 AM #15
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation

Public unions by definition are corrupt, they hire people who give them benefits that are better than the public sector, and then they hire more people in government to keep doing this until the taxpayer gets squeezed to the point they complain.

Right now in Chicago, the public school teachers union who actually make on average $76,000 per year BEFORE benefits and just TURNED DOWN a 16% pay raise... Don't worry, it is still $30,000 MORE than the average worker in their state, and they only work 9 months of the year, and have TONS of paid vacation and holidays...

In a state that is bankrupt, and should be CUTTING benefits, not adding to them.

But, hey, at least 20% of the students in those schools are doing average...

79% of the 8th graders CAN'T READ, and 80% of their students are below average at math for their grade... CLEARLY MORE money is the answer... or something.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/us-d...icient-reading

These public unions elected Rham and Obama, so they expect their PAYBACK, and they don't care about it being an election year, they are typical liberals, who don't want to have their job performance tied to their pay, just like Obama...

Fire them all. Because anything less does nothing "for the children" but allow failure to continue.

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM #16
Animal_Mother (Banned)
Kill 'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
I don't think I've seen a more direct example of "ignorance begets ignorance".
Where is the flaw in my post? Do we or do we not fund education? On average, the taxpayers spend around 10k/yr per child to go to pubic school. Your solution is to throw more money at the problem instead of actually fixing the problem? Sounds like a Democrap to me.

edit - Let's keep this thread on topic. If you want to talk about the failing educational system, make a thread on it.

Last edited by Animal_Mother : 09-11-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 AM #17
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D

Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
Nurses' union helps keep my mom's salary and her job so I'm a proponent of them. Everyone on their representative board or whatever for each individual hospital is a volunteer which is pretty interesting. That is the board that participates in negotiations with the city as far as cuts and layoffs go.

NCC!
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM #18
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Absolutely needed, problem is the public has been convinced they are not. It's not a coincidence that, upon said convincing, the economy almost went belly-up.

Unions are a free-market solution to worker exploitation. Anyone who is a believer in markets, and ESPECIALLY those that distrust government solutions, should support unions wholeheartedly as a check on corporate power.
And what happens when the union gets too powerful? The same scenario as when the employer is a schmuck, except the company is getting shafted by the employees.

If you REALLY want a free-market solution, the non-union worker should be able to work next to the union worker WITHOUT having to pay to do so. Until then, it is just coercion from ANOTHER source.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM #19
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Unions are an archaic idea whos time has past. Yes they were good things back in the 20's even up to the 60's. However now we have solid protections in place, OSHA, OSHPOD, and others both federal and state level.

Unions now, are for the weak minded, like religion they are a refuge for people who have no ability to think for themselves.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 AM #20
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Wants more than needs.
We have a winner.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 AM #21
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
Obviously they're somewhat needed. They didn't pop up outta nowhere for no reason. They have started spinning out of control. Some markets need it much more than others.
This. I voted no but in reality som form of unions can still be useful. I just don't think that they should have government help securing their power as they have now.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote