Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 PM #1618
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
That's another one that I'll never understand.

What can you possibly learn about art at a school that's actually going to be practical knowledge for you, even if you become an artist or work in art?

You're going to know more about different artists and their styles throughout history, but it's not going to help you be any better at making art, I wouldn't think.

Edit: At the same time, I'm more than willing to **** on myself for going to school for Computer Engineering, knowing full-well that the market is saturated and that it's only going to get worse between now and the time I get my degree.
Art degrees, depending on what school you attend, usually involve a lot of drawing and design courses. So, there is benefit as an artist to going to an art college. I was split between Art Institute or Full Sail after high school; both "glorified" and overly expensive, but valuable for a budding artist.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 PM #1619
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus View Post
As long as you're not one of those "all student loan debt should be forgiven" nitwits, it's all good.
Apparently there is a repayment option for me now where I can pay for 25 years and then all of my debt is forgiven after that? wtfm8?

Edit: And payments are ~$10/month, determined by my income.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM #1620
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlittermekaiN View Post
Art degrees, depending on what school you attend, usually involve a lot of drawing and design courses. So, there is benefit as an artist to going to an art college. I was split between Art Institute or Full Sail after high school; both "glorified" and overly expensive, but valuable for a budding artist.
As someone who is by no means an artist, I see it like this. You can teach the technical parts of art, but you can't really teach style. It's up to the person. So spending a little time teaching people drawing techniques and some generally-agreed-upon aesthetic stuff is seemingly going to be just as effective as going for years and years as professors try to reshape your style.

Granted I'm completely talking out of my *** with no base of anything here. Just the way I see ****.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM #1621
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Apparently there is a repayment option for me now where I can pay for 25 years and then all of my debt is forgiven after that? wtfm8?

Edit: And payments are ~$10/month, determined by my income.
Probably because they will eventually get bored of receiving such small checks from you.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM #1622
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

Quote:
As someone who is by no means an artist, I see it like this. You can teach the technical parts of art, but you can't really teach style. It's up to the person. So spending a little time teaching people drawing techniques and some generally-agreed-upon aesthetic stuff is seemingly going to be just as effective as going for years and years as professors try to reshape your style.

Granted I'm completely talking out of my *** with no base of anything here. Just the way I see ****.
Drawing fruit when you want to design starships for movies may seem trivial, but there's important aspects to learning how to draw an apple. Shading, lighting, texture, and just basic hand-eye coordination. They aren't just known from the start, they have to be practiced.

I'm just a wanna-be artist, but I can understand and appreciate the basic necessities. It's the same idea in training classically in order to play death metal. Everything has it's place.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 PM #1623
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

That's what I'm saying. It seems like if the skills required for you to make art are the technical things, you can teach that quickly. Not super quick, but I can't imagine that it would take 5 years to learn the basic concepts of drawing if you're taught them efficiently.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM #1624
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. It seems like if the skills required for you to make art are the technical things, you can teach that quickly. Not super quick, but I can't imagine that it would take 5 years to learn the basic concepts of drawing if you're taught them efficiently.
Well, an art college will teach you the basics of art, as if you're starting from square one. Once that's done, they'll get into the basics of your specific craft. And further specialize you afterwords. So, going from nothing to, more or less, a notable force within your field; I'm sure you can see where a good bit of time would go.

Also, they make you study history. Because, for some reason, learning about Monet will make you a better artist.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 PM #1625
Fuzzy R. McNuggs
Awaiting Email Confirmation

***** you spend an entire life perfecting drawing fruit *****
Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM #1626
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy R. McNuggs View Post
***** you spend an entire life perfecting drawing fruit *****
http://oeg-home.ru/blog/wp-content/u..._oeg_kovad.jpg
Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM #1627
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Quote:
Well, an art college will teach you the basics of art, as if you're starting from square one. Once that's done, they'll get into the basics of your specific craft. And further specialize you afterwords. So, going from nothing to, more or less, a notable force within your field; I'm sure you can see where a good bit of time would go.

Also, they make you study history. Because, for some reason, learning about Monet will make you a better artist.
Makes sense.

The history part pisses me off though.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM #1628
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Being someone that went to the Art Institute of Seattle, let me give my input.

I learned a great deal as an artist. Both through physical mediums and the technology side (I went for 3D animation). My drawing grew exponentially as I learned and studied different techniques. No teacher even as much as hinted that we need to follow a certain art style. We were only ever given the opportunity to present an idea that normally followed a theme we collectively chose as a class. Our style was our own. We were, however, forced to examine and study different style while encouraged to try it out.

Following some of Michelangelo's speed drawing techniques completely changed me as an artist. When you only have 10-30 seconds to draw an entire figure, you begin to study anatomy in a completely different way. Your style really comes out and it changes your finalizing details.

The most important things I learned from a purely artistic standpoint was how light works (reflection, refraction, and the likes) as well as deep color theory and how best to capture a mood.

Was the price worth it? Heeeelllll no. I think AI charges about double what a normal university does now. But it really does have some merit as a school.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 PM #1629
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

I almost went to AI Pitt. Glad I dodged that $90k bullet.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM #1630
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoolguy77 View Post
My student loan payments should be starting next month. Which <del>****</del>ing blows, cause my <del>****</del>ty car is eating all my cash. All of it.
it shouldnt be THAT bad. Student loan payments can be a little as 10% of your income. If that is a problem, you either have way too much debt, too low paying of a job, or problems prioritizing your income.

Or no income at all maybe.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:05 PM #1631
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

Quote:
Wanted to go to Fullsail myself for Audio Engineering.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:05 PM #1632
Oedipus
god save captain slow

California's special summer gas is no fun.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 PM #1633
IncompleteSpork90
yo snake sneak that ****

**** that.

**** that hard.

Never had to pay over $4.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 PM #1634
Oedipus
god save captain slow

It's supposed to get closer to $5 very soon. Something about there being a shortage combined with the refineries switching over to the winter blend or something.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM #1635
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Isn't there something in California where if your Catalytic converter fails, you can't even replace it without getting another car?

Or at the least, most of the replacements online are not legal to use I think.

Is the gas actually different or is that just added tax for California because they suck at budgeting?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:13 PM #1636
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
gas just went down to $3.30 here.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM #1637
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbandfan View Post
Isn't there something in California where if your Catalytic converter fails, you can't even replace it without getting another car?

Or at the least, most of the replacements online are not legal to use I think.

Is the gas actually different or is that just added tax for California because they suck at budgeting?
Not sure on the cats. People steal them a lot because of the platinum, so I would imagine that you can replace them. Not cheap to do, of course.

Our gas is different and the taxes are high on it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:18 PM #1638
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Just checked rockauto for the part for my car. All of them are not legal for use in California except the most expensive one, of course.

They don't want you replacing the original one for some reason, I don't know.

Pretty sure if you can do it yourself they'll never know though.