PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 PM #1
wurthit4660
FARVA ON DUTY

wurthit4660 supports DLX Technology
Outdoor speedball field question

Hey guys have a question for you field owners that have an outdoor speedball field. I am in the process of buying a used field and plan on using it for our private group of palyers. My question to you is do you guys leave your bunkers out on the field or do you pull all the bunkers at the end of each day? Would like the plus + negatives of either. I know by leaving them out all the time they will weather from exposer to the elements. But on the other hand I cant see pulling and setting up the entire field everytime we want to play. Besides I know from past experience, when u store bunkers in a pile it's an invitatation for MICE who love to nest in the bunkers

Any advice would be greatful thanks

Packing: Luxe What Else + Spire + Ninja 50/45 = Slaying Criminals

Law Enforcement For Life
"You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't!
wurthit4660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM #2
paintballer187
187PB.COM

Annual Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a Moderator
paintballer187 is a Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballer187 is BST Legit
paintballer187 works for a Paintball manufacturer
In a pile or by themselves, mice will eat up bunkers. Keep in mind leaving the field in one location or setup will kill the grass.

I guess the main question is, how often are you playing? Every weekend? Once a month? How many guys helping?
paintballer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 AM #3
wurthit4660
FARVA ON DUTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer187 View Post
In a pile or by themselves, mice will eat up bunkers. Keep in mind leaving the field in one location or setup will kill the grass.

I guess the main question is, how often are you playing? Every weekend? Once a month? How many guys helping?
Well our current set up at the moment a 3 man field we leave out 24/7, and play about twice a month. So far we have no issues with mice eating at the bunkers out in the field except for one bunker so far. the new field will be 44 bunkers and we normally dont have a lot of people helping out most of the time..

Law Enforcement For Life
Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 AM #4
paintballer187
187PB.COM

Annual Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a Moderator
paintballer187 is a Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a founding member
paintballer187 is BST Legit
paintballer187 works for a Paintball manufacturer
With one other guy I can set up that many bunkers in two hours. If you have a lot of people and at least 2 blowers you should be up and going in 45 minutes. For the life of the bunkers and grass, I would try to store them every time you're done.
paintballer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 PM #5
TeacherCreature

^^ +1
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM #6
_slash_1
yup, im "that" one....

_slash_1 plays in the USPL
_slash_1 plays in the PSP
_slash_1 posts videos on PbNation
I run a very busy field here in vancouver. We use our field every weekend. In the past, we used to clean it off, and store it after every day of use. That said, When I looked at paying my workers, it would add around $2-300 to every weekend, and at the end of the year I had spent way more than the cost of a field. More over it was completely redundant dragging the bunkers off, and storing, just to eventually re-setup.

I made a pact that year that we would stop wasting time on cleaning bunkers. We purchased a 2009 nppl field that was one event old for $4000. That field has been set up every weekend for 3 seasons now. (other than december and january when we close up for the year) When they develop leaks we patch them. The field is still very playable, and looks awesome after its yearly power wash... My point is, it's best to keep maintenance costs low, as its easy to eclipse the actual cost of a set of bunkers.

Weather and wind are things you will contend with, so its best if your field is permanently netted, or has lots of tree cover to keep the bunkers in one place (should they grow legs)

Mice are my biggest issue, but I have fixed them by doing these few things.

1. buy a few of those plastic owls. they keep mice really far away as long as you can keep customers from shooting them.
2.Buy bunkers with water bladders. Mice wont chew through something thats heavy enough to kill them (not 1 of my water bladder bunkers has ever been chewed by mice)
3.Go synthetic grass. they stay on the real stuff. Not really viable to a group field, but im just letting you know those lil buggers can be beat!
_slash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM #7
wurthit4660
FARVA ON DUTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slash_1 View Post
I run a very busy field here in vancouver. We use our field every weekend. In the past, we used to clean it off, and store it after every day of use. That said, When I looked at paying my workers, it would add around $2-300 to every weekend, and at the end of the year I had spent way more than the cost of a field. More over it was completely redundant dragging the bunkers off, and storing, just to eventually re-setup.

I made a pact that year that we would stop wasting time on cleaning bunkers. We purchased a 2009 nppl field that was one event old for $4000. That field has been set up every weekend for 3 seasons now. (other than december and january when we close up for the year) When they develop leaks we patch them. The field is still very playable, and looks awesome after its yearly power wash... My point is, it's best to keep maintenance costs low, as its easy to eclipse the actual cost of a set of bunkers.

Weather and wind are things you will contend with, so its best if your field is permanently netted, or has lots of tree cover to keep the bunkers in one place (should they grow legs)

Mice are my biggest issue, but I have fixed them by doing these few things.

1. buy a few of those plastic owls. they keep mice really far away as long as you can keep customers from shooting them.
2.Buy bunkers with water bladders. Mice wont chew through something thats heavy enough to kill them (not 1 of my water bladder bunkers has ever been chewed by mice)
3.Go synthetic grass. they stay on the real stuff. Not really viable to a group field, but im just letting you know those lil buggers can be beat!
Thanks for the imput ^^^ I have large pieces of turf under each bunker, for a few reasons. no trimming around each bunker for any oopps with the weed wacker, no worn out spots behind each bunker, which means no mud hole when it rains , and i guess like u mentioned it has kept the mice away or at least under the turf not on top under the bunkers. It scares me to pull the field each time, for one what a pain in the azz for a small private group and two once there all piled up im thinking mice heaven...

I was wanting to see if anyone else out there was doing or not doing. so with this new larger field we just continue to leave them out in the field for the palying season..

Thanks everyone for the responses

Law Enforcement For Life