Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM #1
nickown123

Should I Up?

I have a dangerous power G4 and its been a GREAT gun. i have had to change macro and one fitting and put teflon tape on it, but other than that $6 its been pretty awesome. now i have $300 i do not want to spend every penny, but my friends all tell me: "its a G4 it sucks get an upgrade like an axe" (my store will buy and sell u a new for $340. im pretty positive my parents arn't gonna let muy a new gun (loong story) and i think i should just get a new bolt and barrel. and it will be SICK as in good or better than a $500 gun. Should i wait for my parents to let me buy a new gun or make some upgrades?
i personally think i should make some ups but my friend knows and has played more pb (goes every weekend almost)
what should i do?
nickown123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 PM #2
lowcoast
Backyard 'Baller

lowcoast is playing at Living Legends V
lowcoast is playing at Living Legends VI
lowcoast owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
lowcoast is attending Decay of Nations VI
If you really want a new gun, selling the g4 and getting axe(you'd have money left over) would be a good step forward. Otherwise, I'd save the money and put it towards upgrading your other gear, maybe a carbon tank, new loader, pads (most under-rated piece of gear), or spend it on paint and field time. Then you'd be that much better when you did step up to a better gun.
As for the G4, you know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
lowcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 PM #3
EvilPimp_
Where my money at???

Is the gun limiting your play, or do you want to upgrade because your friends says to do it? Keep it if you are happy with it's performance, and use the money for paint or something else you may really need, like a new hopper, pod pack, tank, or mask. I wouldn't buy a new gun if you don't need to. Now if you are having problems, or need a different board to do tournaments, then maybe look at getting an upgraded gun. If it's working fine, keep it, and save up for next year. I wouldn't buy an upgrade bolt or barrel either. Just play with the G4 if it works well, and wait till next year.
EvilPimp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM #4
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
The only times I have upgraded have been because of genuine need. I switched from a Spyder to an SLG because it had a tendency to chop higher grade paint. When I bought my FX, it was because the SLG was giving me problems and I needed a more reliable gun. I have never upgraded because some douche told me that my gun sucked. If I did, I would probably have bought just about every gun on the market by now.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 PM #5
nickown123

alright thanks, i think it works amazing, i really havent found out a fault between that and and axe (shooting btw, my friend has one). and I have another question: my gun kinda makes a ping noise, do you think thats probably from the regular steel tank i prob gonna up that then get a good CP barrel, prob some knee pads? any others i might have forgot?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM #6
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

If your G4 works for you then wait. Save more money and make your new gun purchase count.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM #7
Danny96211
cash for your iphone

Danny96211 posts videos on PbNation
Danny96211 supports Empire
listen to what the others are saying on here. Don't upgrade unless you have to. if you feel like the g4 is limiting your play for some reason, then upgrade it. Otherwise, don't upgrade it. Spend that money on paint and admission. I only upgrade to a better gun when i feel like my current gun is limiting how well i play. This is why i recently ditched my a5 for an envy. And it has definitely helped me out on the field.
Danny96211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 PM #8
nickown123

ok alright
Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 PM #9
espin679

espin679 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
espin679 posts videos on PbNation
espin679 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
espin679 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I got back into paintball about 2-3 months ago with the purchase of a G3 spec R (its really the same gun, just different milling IMO) and I played the crap out of it. I just sold it to pick up a Etek 3 ONLY because I got a killer deal on both the sale of the g3 + buy of the etek ($100 profit over what i bought it for and a Etek Brand new in the box for $270). Wait until a killer deal rolls around and jump on it. until then play the poop out of your g4. unless your trying to enter very compeitive games, dont sweat it.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 PM #10
dertydood

dertydood owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dertydood plays in the APPA D5 division
dertydood has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The axe is going to be more efficient and have better shot quality, but if you like your g4, i'd stick with that.

Link to my APPA: http://paintball-players.org/cgi-bin...vaaRpMHFWWoGIL
dertydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM #11
nickown123

i have a HPA tank ($40) and i think thats what makes my gun make a "ping" sound. should i buy a carbon fiber to fix that and more
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM #12
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickown123 View Post
i have a HPA tank ($40) and i think thats what makes my gun make a "ping" sound. should i buy a carbon fiber to fix that and more
I seriously doubt that is the source of the problem. However, if you have the money, a carbon fiber tank would be a good piece of equipment to have.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM #13
CColt22

Do you NEED to upgrade? No.
CColt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM #14
Tempted (Banned)

A G4 is a fine marker, and for the price you can't get anything better. If you aren't an every weekend player, I'd keep it and spend the money on paint.
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:35 AM #15
tippmannrocker90
Git-R-Done!

tippmannrocker90 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tippmannrocker90 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Use the money you would use to upgrade the gun for other things in your gear like your tank, barrel kit, or a nice mask which makes more of a difference then people often realize. My starter mask was a piece of junk and I would always hate wearing it until i upgraded to a high end mask which now I barely notice is there.
Also... when you shoot your friend with your G4 it wouldnt hurt to talk some smack about how your "not so good gun" just lit him/her up

Tri State Mafia
Slaying many in the name of the smoking skull
Proudly sponsored by COUSINS PAINTBALL
Like Us on FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/#!/TSMPaintball
tippmannrocker90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 PM #16
nickown123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippmannrocker90 View Post
My starter mask was a piece of junk and I would always hate wearing it until i upgraded to a high end mask which now I barely notice is there.
Also... when you shoot your friend with your G4 it wouldnt hurt to talk some smack about how your "not so good gun" just lit him/her up
IKR!!! that's why I LOVE this gun (other main reasons tho). my friend was getting a new gun and i said just get an axe its cheaper and more reliable. quote" nooo, your just jealous that im going to get $600 gun and you have a stupid $300 gun. i'm going to smoke you" (not the best player, hes just spoiled, i had to work). i have a V-force vantage. since im 14 i have to tighten it a little bit more and after a while it starts to hurt. and i feel that the cushoins are too thin. any ell price mid- priced ones?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 AM #17
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Build up your gear first. Good quality gear will last you a long long time and save you money in the long run. Thats what I did during my last paintball hiatus. I just returned this year after about 4 years off and the high quality gear I bought years ago, is still high quality gear now.

1/1 Factory Acid wash green splashed luxe... Cheap.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4281337
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:31 AM #18
Dark Side
You will know the power

Annual Supporting Member
Dark Side is BST Trusted
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VI
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VII
You can't go wrong with what anyone is saying here.

07/08 Ego Vici Board
Dust Black ShockTech AutoCocker snatch grip
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:15 PM #19
soft_corps

soft_corps owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
^^ I agree. I recently got an Empire Axe and instantly fell in love with it. Great guns and affordable.
soft_corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 PM #20
Hannibal Hill

I own an Axe, and I really love it. I would've opted for the mini because of the weight difference, but my gorilla hands couldn't hold it properly. Another key point here is that Empires tech support is amazing; my Axe came anodized in lava red from ANS.com, which is a nice color, but they did not replace all of the parts on the marker. It was missing a detent bolt assembly. Empire not only sent me a new detent bolt assembly, but also an entire parts kit free of charge. I really appreciate that sort of service. Another thing, the empire website has some great videos on how to maintain your marker, and set up the board as well. I am very happy with empire, and I am looking forward to see what develops from them in the future.
Hannibal Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM #21
roofie liqueur

sell the g4 and get an Axe, Etek, or whatever mid-end you fancy.