PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-23-2015, 08:04 PM #1
ponchboy

has been a member for 10 years
ideas for a small team compressor

Hello fellow field owners. I am the coach of a small high school team with a field located behind the school. We practice every Friday but have a problem with HPA air. we are running 2 bulk tanks and I get them filled through a fire department here in town. Recently there has been a new fire chief who refuses to fill our HPA tanks because he says it's too dangerous. I am now looking into a compressor to run two 3000PSI bulk tanks. Like I said we only play every Friday for about an hour so i dont need anything massive.

What i would like to ask is if you guys have any suggestions i should consider? Also a last thought i need to inform you is that I will be paying for this out of my own pocket as I have with the entire field and i dont have alot of money, maybe 2-3000 dollars. I have looked for old fire station ones with no luck and all the used compressors i see for sale are on the east coast. I am in the west. thanks for looking and thanks for helping
ponchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2015, 08:10 PM #2
GatSplat

You in a town with any other fields? Or a scuba shop? If you can find someone else to fill the tanks.. it will be a lot better for you.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM #3
ponchboy

small town, no paintball fields, no scuba cause we live in the desert. I really have exhausted all options besides driving 2 hours every weekend to another town.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:57 AM #4
rcontrera

Unfortunately, filling bulk tanks requires a continuous duty machine. Thant means that the $3500 to $5500 machines will wear out VERY fast. Plus, the cost of maintaining the little guys is a LOT higher than the larger ones.

The smallest and cheapest of the compressors for you to use would be in the $7500 price range. Plus, if you want automatic functions such as automatic shutdown, automatic drains, hour meter, fill panel, etc will add a bit more.
FREE COMPRESSOR SHIPPING for cash orders (cash, money order, wire transfer, check). Shipping is for Continental USA only.
rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:41 AM #5
PaintballofOKC

Larry would know best but IMO only two 3000 psi tanks won't be that hard to fill. Shouldn't a small 5CFM unit get the job done?

If he was filling to 5K then there might be stress issues but only to 3K shouldn't be as hard on the little guys.

This unit is 4.2 CFM and is $3,700 new
http://emoneypaintball.net/money-min...stem-p-45.html

Don't mind used look into a Davey compressor. This one on Ebay is listed at $2,000 with low hours and is 15 CFM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davey-7MC2A-...AOSw5VFWQLK P
Old 11-24-2015, 08:49 AM #6
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Are you currently filling the bulk tanks to 3K or 4.5K? How many players do you have?

It seems like you're in the neighborhood of where one of these might work for you, given that you have a week to fill:

http://shoeboxcompressor.com/order/c...ompressor.html

It apparently does a scuba tank in about a day, so with 6 days I think you could get 2 bulk tanks to 3k.

The question is how long it will work with a near-constant duty cycle. They're at $650ish each, so if you got 2 to limit the duty cycles a bit (or fill two tanks at once) you're at $1,500 tax shipping blah blah. Maybe a bit more depending on the fittings you'd need.

You'd need a shop compressor to feed it air, but one compressor could feed 2 of them.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 AM #7
Skipdogg

^ beat me to it. I'll second the shoebox compressor idea for your situation.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:49 AM #8
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballofOKC View Post

Don't mind used look into a Davey compressor. This one on Ebay is listed at $2,000 with low hours and is 15 CFM

15 cfm at 200 psi... might not get the job done... Great if you have to inflate truck tires though.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM #9
PaintballofOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdogg View Post
^ beat me to it. I'll second the shoebox compressor idea for your situation.
Q: How fast will it fill a tank?
A: It will fill a 68 cubic inch tank in about 4 hours to 4500 psi.

Q: I hear it needs another compressor?
A: Yes, it needs an 85 psi input from an oil-free shop air compressor for maximum fill rate and to shut off at the designated pressure. The F8 needs 125 psi.

The cost of the shoe box is $694 due to built in fan. Added costs of the input compressor. Needs electricity thus would have to be run at the school or his home.

The Davey would fill those tanks in minutes not days and is fully portable.

If he has to fill those bulk tanks at the school he can only fill 10-12 hours per day. A school is locked at night and usually weekends at (2.5 .68ci tanks per day) and maybe 4-5 full days = 10-12 .68ci tanks filled.

I can only see too many downsides to this tiny compressor other than personal use.
-----------------------------
DOH ***slaps forehead*** wrong ebay ad my bad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-DAVEY-C...AOSwRLZUJwC F

Last edited by PaintballofOKC : 11-24-2015 at 11:04 AM.
PaintballofOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:17 PM #10
rcontrera

Quote:
Larry would know best but IMO only two 3000 psi tanks won't be that hard to fill. Shouldn't a small 5CFM unit get the job done?

If he was filling to 5K then there might be stress issues but only to 3K shouldn't be as hard on the little guys.

This unit is 4.2 CFM and is $3,700 new
http://emoneypaintball.net/money-min...stem-p-45.html
This is one of the little $3500 compressors I mentioned. While it can pump to 4800 psi, it does it intermittently ... that means one small bottle at a time. You can fill individual 4500 psi marker bottles all day long. If you take care of it, pumping individual bottles means the little compressor should last for years!

However, hooking it to a bulk bottle means it would have a sustained load on it and slowly but surely eat the bearings. No ... bulk bottles means continuous duty.

Quote:

As Larry said, this is low pressure. Yes ... there are lots of used high pressure compressors out there. But you really need to know your compressors to know if you are getting a good one. Otherwise, you may be buying a big ol' steaming pile of trouble.
FREE COMPRESSOR SHIPPING for cash orders (cash, money order, wire transfer, check). Shipping is for Continental USA only.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:56 PM #11
primadog

primadog supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchboy View Post
small town, no paintball fields, no scuba cause we live in the desert. I really have exhausted all options besides driving 2 hours every weekend to another town.
What about buying a few extra bulk tanks and can cut down the drive to one a month or so? You could avoid the headache of keeping an compressor alive.
primadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:54 PM #12
robdavy
Field Owner

I hate to say it, but depending on your markers, have you considered CO2?
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 PM #13
ponchboy

thank you guys for the responses. Ill try to respond in order of questions asked:

I have considered the shoebox and i have read how hot they get and that is not a risk im willing to take.

CO2 is currently being used but I have had about half of my players leave because they have mid to high ranged guns like Axes, G6R's, ions, and geo's. So Co2 wont meet the needs of all my kids. I can always run HPA on a lower end gun but never the other way around.

we are only filling to 2500-3000 psi

We have about 10-20 kids that show up every week.

Here is another idea, you guys said that the smaller compressors would fill small tanks all day with out the bulk ones on? then would it be smart to build a cascade system on two scuba tanks? I could run the compressor in between games and have the scuba tanks and compressor ready in the shed when they come off the field. what do you guys think?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 PM #14
GatSplat

Scuba tanks only hold 80 cubic feet at 3000 psi. A bulk tank holds 440 cubic feet at 4500 psi. You would be vastly better off building your cascade system with 3 or 4 bulk tanks, a regulator, and build them on a trailer and haul them to get filled every 2 months. After buying the trailer, and the tanks, and the time and gas.. you will still save yourself thousands. To get anything that will stand a chance of working in the compressor world... you are going to be in the $5000+ range, then electricity, maintenance, oil, filters, repairs. It's just not worth it for the small amount you want to deal with in my opinion.

Look at this http://www.scubatoys.com/paintball/scubafills2.asp

And you will see that cascading with 4 storage bottles, you will still be over 4400 psi fills after 20 fills of 68, 4500 psi paintball tanks. With 2 scuba tanks, after 20 fills you'd be below 1600 psi... And you will blow up a small compressor trying to fill them.

Either haul storage bottles to get them filled, bribe the fire chief, or spend about 5-8K to get a system. Not great options.. but there you go in my opinion.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:48 PM #15
ponchboy

how long did it take you to pay off your compressor? i know i dont have your clientele but just wondering
Old 11-24-2015, 09:56 PM #16
doodlebugsportz

I know that most of the guys don't care for them, but if your looking for a Portable, this is the Daveys unit you want to start with, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Davey-Air-co...AOSwDNdV7QR d
We have used them for years with a couple mods pumping to 4700 psi, they are damn near bullet proof (IMO) and you can find them pretty inexpensive if you do a little searching.. ( I bought 2 units a couple months back for $4500 delivered), and they will do 3500 psi with out any mods But as Larry said, a set of4500 bulk tanks will go a long ways for small use.
Maybe chat with the fire chief and see if you got a set of in hydro 4500 bulk tanks if he would fill them that way, if not check with the welding gas shop nad see what it cost to get a 6k nitrogen set up..

Don-DoodleBug Sportz- NW Paintball At Its Best! www.doodlebugsportz.com
Paintball Innovations- 50 Caliber Solutions www.paintballinnovations.com
doodlebugsportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:47 AM #17
robdavy
Field Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchboy View Post
how long did it take you to pay off your compressor? i know i dont have your clientele but just wondering
I guess that depends how you qualify "pay off". We could buy a new compressor every week with our sales, but we'd have no money left over to pay rent, wages, profits, etc lol

We were lucky and found a decent compressor reasonably locally (3 hours away) that a fire dept was selling. I think we paid $5k for it and they threw in some bulk tanks too.

We were buying $400/week in CO2 before then, so, yeh, it's paid for itself many times over
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 PM #18
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
I'm not sure pay off is really the way to look at it. A $1kcompressor that you "pay off tomorrow" isn't much good if it costs you $3k/year in running costs / fixes / maintenance.

You want the least expensive per amount of time option - making sure to include the value of your time.

So, if you buy a $5k compressor, figure a grand a year if you spread that over a reasonable use cycle. Then add on your annual costs of maintenance, oil, gas, whatever.

Another option is acquiring more bulk tanks and putting together a cascade system that you haul to get filled every month. Again, annual costs of fuel, add in the value of your time for the trip, and take the costs of getting the tanks and cascade system set up and spread them over 5 years.

Compare the two numbers on your annual expense, and there's your answer. Or, as Larry likely knows more about compressing air than anyone else here, just believe him and do the bulk tanks.

Additional option: Make a donation to the local fire department and see if that wins you any hearts and minds.

I don't know if you had a face-to-face meeting with the fire chief or just got a no passed down through someone else, but if you can corner him at some sort of function and explain what you're doing, you may find his objection is rooted in a lack of understanding about what you're doing and some information will go a long way.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 AM #19
rcontrera

I have to agree with the guys that said to go with bulk bottles. I am a compressor guy but it really doesn't seem like that is the right investment for you.

Even if you go with brand new 4500/444 bottles and the top grade stainless steel hardware, you are only looking at about $850 each. Used ones with the same new hardware are only about $500 each delivered.

The oil and filter cost of filling one bottle is a little under $1 each. That does not include the cost of the compressor itself. At 20 fills per week average, you are still looking at about $1000 per year in maintenance.

So, really, unless you are going to be going with one of the $7500 continuous duty machines that can fill a bottle for about 9 cents per fill in maintenance costs, it would be easiest to go with a bulk bottle bank.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:46 AM #20
master2003
THE DOZER

master2003 is a Supporting Member
master2003 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Have you searched for a gas supply/welding company nearby. They might be able to lease you a bulk hpa tank and deliver a fresh tank each week.
I would avoid shelling out for a compressor. Even if you got a bullet proof continuous duty 5 come unit, you would be running it roughly 4-8 per week, and you have to sit there and monitor it, drain the water every 30 minutes, keep the oil filled, keep the filters clean.
Check back with the fire chief and explain that it is not dangerous.
Good luck.