Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM #1
gab927

Tippmann a5 barrel advice needed

I just got into paintballing last week and I was planning to buy the Tippmann a5 along with a better barrel. I just read from some other thread that it is not worth upgrading any tippmanns since they don't have consistency. Is the a5 different? If so, which barrel should I get? Please help me!!1
gab927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM #2
Burgballer

You might want to ask this in the Tippmann forum. They have a stickied page all about barrels.

Most people will suggest a flatline barrel which are very good for increasing your range but they also have some negatives too. Extreme long shots have good chances of bouncing unless you are using ultra brittle paint.

You could also just buy a good, cheap accurate one piece barrel like a custom products, lapco, or j&j. There are others that are good too but these seem to get recomended a lot. There are also mil-sim barrels out there but usually their performance isn't the greatest compared to others.
Burgballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:58 PM #3
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
the a5 flat line is a pretty nice barrel i have see many kits over the year but i always seem to go back to the freak kit.. also how much are you looking to spend on this barrel that will greatly effect your decision
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 PM #4
tgs-killer
Independent Variable.

That's great to hear! I just got my A5 literally last week and I have to say that I'm happy with what I have. As far as regarding the Tippmanns not being consistent. I would have to agree; however, that goes with any marker. It depends on a number of things: paint, the airsystem being used, the upgrades as well as the cleanliness of the marker and proper maintaining of it. So that being said, any marker can be inconsistent from a various number of things. Aside from that, I have seen that my A5 was a bit inconsistent due to using CO2 and the paint I had at the time. After upgrading to better paint and using a high pressure N2 tank I have definitely seen better consistency.

Now moving onto your barrel. Basically you'd want to stay with anything that's under 16" in length. A 16" is good for poking through brush and pushing against bunkers. While 14" and below are good for compactness and ease of portability within your gear bag as well as cleaning if you don't have a big enough squeegee. Now those are just broad generalities. Going onto which barrel. That's up to you on how much you're willing to spend. Definitely don't go with a barrel kit because to me that's a waste of money. Just do what the pro's do and overbore. Ex. paint size is .689 and below these days -- get a .689-.691 barrel. You will be set for a long time not having to worry on which paint to get and worry about getting barrel breaks. Some individuals, like me, for instance get the Flatline barrel. Reason why? It's exclusively for Tippmanns. So basically, in a sense, getting a Tippmann for the sole reason of the Flatline makes perfect sense. Because it's one of the few barrels that actually make the paintball travel farther. That to me is why I will only have a Flatline on my A5. If you absolutely need a suggestion for a barrel then a good inexpensive one would be the Proto 1-piece. Some others include Smart-Parts 1-piece barrels and Custom Products. There are many others but I'll save that for other users to prey upon

Anyway I hope this helps,

-Jarred
While the majority of people not need firearms, consider that this tool is now widely distributed to most of all peoples, including bad people. Such people who will do harm with one of these tools in time. So we ought to have to ability to defend ourselves against said threats with equal or greater fire power. Unfortunately, tis only law-abiding citizens are primarily being targeted by Government. Further, crime is caused by unlawful peoples of society, so how are Government orders going to now effect the criminals if the orders hadn't affected them initially? There is a hidden agenda here. Think about it
tgs-killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:00 PM #5
iiEpiC_FaiL
I'm NOT Ben Stubbs

iiEpiC_FaiL owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
iiEpiC_FaiL supports Team VICIOUS
iiEpiC_FaiL is for the Gunfight
Dont let people tell you tippmanns arent worth upgrading...anything is worth upgrading as long as your have the money to do it..and your happy with the end result.

Most people are just biased and are douchebags most of the time....thats why they tell you bad stuff about certian guns...

Tippmanns are great markers...some of the best out..other then the fact they are "low-end". If i had to shoot one i wouldnt hesitate the least bit.

Like stated above..the Flatline barrel is good...dont waste your money on a barrel kit like th freak unless your plannin on keeping the A-5 for a while.

J&J barrels are good..Lapco, Proto, Custom Products....just look around. Ask people at a local field what they think..or your pro shop.

Running your A-5 of HPA is a super good idea..as Co2 is inconsistant as a 3 legged dog trying to catch an invisible frisbee...

just my 2 cents.
iiEpiC_FaiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM #6
thedaltonator4

Don't worry on the tippmann not being worth it. The A-5 is a great marker. it will never chop paint and it's fairly light for a tippmann. For a barrel i would suggest the CP one piece. Best Barrel on the market for 30 bucks and from the #1 aftermarket producer.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:28 PM #7
Deckrat

I have a J&J 2-piece ceramic (14") for my A-5, but I never cared for it much. It shot great on my old 68 Carbine, but not so well on the A-5. I have also used an old 14" 1-piece SP All-American on it, and that one shoots pretty good. Another is a homemade snubby barrel I made from the stock one. (I cut it off 1" past the vents in the barrel) and believe it or not, that one shoots as well as any other. I currently have a FlatLine on it, and I haven't used it much, but I can tell you that a Flatline needs good round paint. But I guess that holds true for ANY barrel.

Stick with HPA whenever possible, and just keep her lubed up properly, and that A-5 will last forever. I bought mine in 2001 I think, and I have never had to replace a single O-ring in it.
Deckrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:00 PM #8
Biscuit451
Waffles

Biscuit451 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Biscuit451 supports Team VICIOUS
Biscuit451 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Biscuit451 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
however much everybody here is telling you "upgrade it and don't worry" I gotta disagree. The money you will put into it could get you a MUCH nicer gun. Also, instead of getting the a-5 look into an slg. You will be alot happier with its performance. It will shoot better in every way I can think of.
Macroline Guy
University of South Carolina
Biscuit451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM #9
kilerclax7
Mr. Solo Dolo

kilerclax7 is playing at Living Legends III
kilerclax7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kilerclax7 supports Pev's Paintball
I think the other posters pretty much covered your barrel options. If you want your a5 to be consistent than using hpa could help compared to using co2 just make sure it's a high pressure tank if you get one. Definitly go read the stickied barrel thread in the tippmann forum, it can help you out with deciding. It's really up to you and how much you want to spend on it. I bought a new linear barrel off of eBay for $15 and it's good enough for me.
kilerclax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 PM #10
kilerclax7
Mr. Solo Dolo

kilerclax7 is playing at Living Legends III
kilerclax7 supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit451 View Post
however much everybody here is telling you "upgrade it and don't worry" I gotta disagree. The money you will put into it could get you a MUCH nicer gun. Also, instead of getting the a-5 look into an slg. You will be alot happier with its performance. It will shoot better in every way I can think of.
Well I gotta disagree with this post. By no means is the slg a "better" gun. It has the advantage when it comes to speedball but can the slg run flawlessly on co2? Unless proto changed something with the design when they released the new player pack or whatever with the co2 tank in it than no it can't. He may not have hpa as an option. If he is going to play woodsball than I would recomend the a-5 with a flatline which can be both picked up used for much less than a new slg and maybe about the same or less as a used slg. No other upgrade is necessary but you do have the option if you want. Comparing the two is like comparing two different things it's just depends on what you play.
kilerclax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 PM #11
tgs-killer
Independent Variable.

I think I'd like to add another thing to this "discussion"; buying another marker over the one you currently own (A5). It's like why spend the extra cash on another marker when you can upgrade your existing one (A5)? Also when buying a new marker, you'll inevitably get all caught up in upgrading that one -- then another Joe-Shmoe will come up to you and say, "don't both upgrading that marker, just get a better one like this ------". It's a never ending process. Same thing here: You wouldn't be willing to spend $400 on let's say an Ego. You buy an autococker instead for $250 and slowly upgrade it and wait a minute....you've just spent $200+ on upgrades, what gives! Reason why? We're not up to spending a lot of money at one setting; but we most likely and unknowingly spend that same amount or higher in small increments for mods and or aftermarket parts...anodizing, etc...it's a weird process but we all go through it. Ultimately, it's up to the person whether or not to proceed. So it's gab927's choice from here on. We'll just see what he does

Also as kilerclax7 is correct in his assertion in using a "high pressure" N2/compressed air tank with the A5 if you're either planning or own one already. All other upgrades may be just a waste of money like mods, body kits and aesthetics. I've kept my A5 stock for the most part, and it's decently light as well as well as maintaining a simple/clean look. I'm quite happy with that

Good luck in your endeavors,

-Jarred
While the majority of people not need firearms, consider that this tool is now widely distributed to most of all peoples, including bad people. Such people who will do harm with one of these tools in time. So we ought to have to ability to defend ourselves against said threats with equal or greater fire power. Unfortunately, tis only law-abiding citizens are primarily being targeted by Government. Further, crime is caused by unlawful peoples of society, so how are Government orders going to now effect the criminals if the orders hadn't affected them initially? There is a hidden agenda here. Think about it

Last edited by tgs-killer : 03-18-2010 at 08:18 PM.
tgs-killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:44 PM #12
KMAC1178
You're HIT!!

I bought an A5 last year after being out of the sport for a while and I am incredibly happy with it! I have yet to break a ball in the Cyclone feed system and the marker is incredibly reliable.

I bought the APEX flatline and the Hammerhead Bang Stixx 16" barrel with 5 sizers and I have not had a problem yet!!!
KMAC1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:25 PM #13
ferg man 5000
Amature Gynecologist

I would have to say stay away from the flatline in my experience. If you have one paintball break inside the barrel, your accruacy goes way down. You couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 5 feet.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4059881
ferg man 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 PM #14
Willtgm

Willtgm supports Empire
H

Last edited by Willtgm : 09-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Willtgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 AM #15
moreys

moreys owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
moreys owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
moreys has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
moreys is attending Decay of Nations VII
moreys supports DLX Technology
My favorite barrel is the deadly winds barrel with a freak kit but kinda pricey. They make a converter so you can use AC threaded barrel which gives you more option. The flatline barrel is great for woodsball gives you a longer shot.
moreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:16 AM #16
Danny96211
cash for your iphone

Danny96211 posts videos on PbNation
Danny96211 supports Empire
necroposts.... ^ This thread was started in 2010.... Im pretty sure this guy has found a barrel by now.
Danny96211 is offline   Reply With Quote