Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM #1
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

Republican Congressman compares student loans to the Holocaust

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

Quote:
Bartlett faces a tough reelection battle against financier John Delaney (D) after Democrats redrew his district to be more competitive by including a slice of Democratic-leaning Montgomery County. Bartlett has held a handful of town hall meetings in the last week, including one Wednesday night at Allegany College in Cumberland.

“I want to know how you feel about the government issuing student loans. Is that something that you’re for?” asked an audience member who identified herself as an instructor at the college.

“I’m for student loans. I want kids to have an education,” Bartlett responded. But he explained that he had read through the Constitution carefully and could find no evidence “that the federal government should be involved in education.” Then Bartlett expanded on that point (at the 3:35 mark in the clip above, which was passed along by a Democrat).

“Not that it’s not a good idea to give students loans; it certainly is a good idea to give them loans,” Bartlett said. “But if you can ignore the Constitution to do something good today, tomorrow you will be ignoring the Constitution to do something bad. You could. There are more people in our, in America today of German ancestry than any other [inaudible]. The Holocaust that occurred in Germany — how in the heck could that happen? And when you start down the wrong road, it can be a very slippery slope.”

Asked about the statement Thursday, Bartlett campaign spokesman Ted Dacey suggested the lawmaker’s position on education fits in clearly with his broader philosophy.

“Congressman Bartlett has always been a strong believer in limited government,” Dacey said. “He is also a strong supporter of making college accessible to all Americans, and, unlike most politicians, he has put his money where his mouth is by donating a substantial portion of his salary to help underprivileged students attend college.”
I wish the title was a gross oversimplification, but this guy is actually suggesting that providing financial assistance to underprivileged children to attend school and make something of their lives is a policy akin to systematically killing millions of people.

Last edited by Angry_Birds : 09-07-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: the semantics police are onto me
Angry_Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 PM #2
Umami
Paragon

Umami supports our troops
Montgomery leans for dems? Who knew.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM #3
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
I wish the title was a gross oversimplification, but this guy is literally implying that providing financial assistance to underprivileged children to attend school and make something of their lives is a policy akin to systematically killing millions of people.
How does one "literally imply" something?

Besides, even if you follow his bizarre analogy Bartlett didn't say what you said he did. Not that Bartlett's invocation of the Holocaust was remotely sensible or appropriate, but he was pointing to the Holocaust as the end result of a society's abandonment of its collective senses. Bartlett was pointing to the government's financing of student loans as an example of "starting to go down the wrong road," not the calamitous end result.

Not that this is the topic of this thread, but there's plenty wrong with encouraging low-income students to rack up thousands of dollars in non-dischargeable education debt when the data increasingly shows that this debt burden will not be offset by increased earning power or even job prospects at all.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 PM #4
Iamamartianchurch

You can compare just about anything you don't like to Nazis Hitler and the Holocaust. Don't forget to yell fascist!
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 PM #5
ProtoBaller1991
The Grippiest Grip

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent

I do tv show things

ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 PM #6
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Not that this is the topic of this thread, but there's plenty wrong with encouraging low-income students to rack up thousands of dollars in non-dischargeable education debt when the data increasingly shows that this debt burden will not be offset by increased earning power or even job prospects at all.
If you study Native American History or Philosophy, then that may very well be the case. Studying a field that pays real money (i.e. engineering, law, medicine, computer science), then there's no question your earning power is significantly increased.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM #7
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
did he just invoke Godwin's law...in a public, political speach?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM #8
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Anyone catch that Democrat who compared Hitler's wife to Nikki Haley?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM #9
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Besides, even if you follow his bizarre analogy Bartlett didn't say what you said he did. Not that Bartlett's invocation of the Holocaust was remotely sensible or appropriate, but he was pointing to the Holocaust as the end result of a society's abandonment of its collective senses. Bartlett was pointing to the government's financing of student loans as an example of "starting to go down the wrong road," not the calamitous end result.
This

comparison =/= slippery slope argument