Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-17-2014, 11:08 PM #1
Weakest194

No bs. What am I paying for?

So I'm trying to buy a nice high end gun. But after talking to my friends they all have older guns. One has a dm6 ($280 now). He told me for recball. A dm6 shoots just as fast accurate smoothly as a dm14. That all I'm buying is air efficiency milling and east of use or repair. So if I have an axe with freak kit with great paint, is there much of a difference between that and a lv1 with kit and great paint? I'm not asking comparison I'm asking is the money for newest bestest actually do anything for gun performance.

Keep in mind I'm recbball player and air efficiency means nothing.. I'm mostly concerned with rof and accuracy. I'd like oled board for firing modes and ease of settings
Weakest194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2014, 11:17 PM #2
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
a DM6 a a solid shooter. The only problem would be if you have need of any parts for it. They may be hard to get.
martix_agent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 PM #3
Weakest194

So you would agree a dm6 shoots the same or near same in preformance as a dm14?
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 PM #4
Mister Crunchy

It's entirely possible that you personally might feel more comfortable/confident/whatever with a different, newer, more expensive gun. Maybe that gun's grip or trigger geometry will feel better to you. But that's all personal preference. From a technical standpoint, no gun will shoot faster or more accurately than your Axe.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:38 PM #5
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weakest194 View Post
So you would agree a dm6 shoots the same or near same in preformance as a dm14?
Yes. The dm14 may be slightly more smooth, and slightly more ergonomic, but they'll shoot about the same. Not much has changed on the DM platform, internally.
martix_agent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:12 AM #6
MATTSDAD

MATTSDAD owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
And 280 is way too much for a dm6. Just saw a dm7 for 150 yesterday w/o a barrel.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:25 AM #7
Weakest194

Sooo fully up (frame bolt redline trigger neck barrel) empire axe will be just as good as a dm14 (yes I know axe is poppet dm is spoolie)
Old 10-18-2014, 12:42 AM #8
Simi Baller
Pillow Fort Architect

Simi Baller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weakest194 View Post
Sooo fully up (frame bolt redline trigger neck barrel) empire axe will be just as good as a dm14 (yes I know axe is poppet dm is spoolie)
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but each gun will feel a tad different based on the settings you plug in. Me, personally, I don't like older guns. They're heavy, usually a bit beaten up, and loud. I also don't enjoy the ergonomics of the Axe.

The point is, that's just me. Go and try out some markers at your field, and see what speaks to you. Maybe you'll end up liking the feel of an older model gun, and not having to blow out your wallet on a new marker.

Also, to answer your question on what you're paying for, it's mainly cost of production plus brand identity. In 2006, the DM6 was a high end. It costs a lot of money to design a marker and get it produced, shipped, and marketed.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:12 AM #9
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
The national standard is 12.5bps. Very few fields will permit you to go over that. Given that just about every electronic marker made in the last 10 years can shoot 12.5bps, rate of fire and firing modes should be the lowest priority in choosing a marker. Accuracy is a function of paint, barrel selection, and regulator consistency. A beat up blowback marker with quality paint and a good barrel will shoot better than a $1200 gun with cheap paint and the wrong barrel. The point is you don't need to worry about accuracy. They all shoot straight when set up properly.

Honestly, there haven't been many major improvements since 2007, when markers started getting extremely small and light. On a more humorous note, the DM4 was the smoothest shooting DM because its relatively high weight absorbed most of the force exerted by the firing cycle. In other words, it was so heavy that the perceived recoil was non-existent.

To get to the real question you're asking, you don't need to buy the latest and greatest to be competitive and reliable. Pretty much any properly maintained high end from 07/newer will serve you well. You can go older than that but parts may get harder to find. With a budget under 300 I'd be looking at Ego10's, DM12's, and lightly used Axes. If you have to ask which marker to buy, you're probably not going to reach the edge of performance on any of them. Try what you can, buy what you like, and enjoy it.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:23 AM #10
Weakest194

Imma get a massively upped axe. Seems to be a community favorite
Old 10-18-2014, 09:24 AM #11
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
For 300 there may be a few 2k11 g6rs floating around as well
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:32 AM #12
imped4now
BTFU

Size, weight and ergonomics. DM6's are huge compared to current markers. You can pick up a nice comfortable, lightweight modern marker for around $3-400 if you know what to look for.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:39 AM #13
BatmanLiera

I would definitely go with an axe
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:24 AM #14
mymutter
I crack myself up!

mymutter supports Team VICIOUS
mymutter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
if you are looking at markers like the Dye DM6 do yourself a favor and also look at PM7's and PM8's. (specifically the PM8). Easy to convert to wired eyes, and with the UL frame it's a win win.

(I so not like the way the mini or the axe feel in my hand and shoot, so I cannot recommend one)
Old 10-18-2014, 02:55 PM #15
MATTSDAD

MATTSDAD owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Seems like most people that like the dms Sat that the best ones were between the 6 abd 8
Old 10-18-2014, 05:17 PM #16
asylum11
Dm6 Part's Whore

Annual Supporting Member
asylum11 supports Cereal Killerz 2
asylum11 donated to help Peyton Trent
imped has NO idea what he is talking about. Dm6's size compared to 12's and 13's are barely existent at best...at least not enough to come close to justify another $200 on up jump into the $400 used gun market. The g6r, the luxe, the new droid 6.....all upper end markers with around the same body length and hight of the dm6. I say grab a dm6 for $180 shipped and shoot ppl. My dm6 and 7's take down dm14's, Lv1's, and luxes all day..errrday lol

Paintball, my antidrug. Because when you're addicted to paintball there's no way you can afford drugs

PBN Feedback #1 +65/-0

"Originally posted by TheColiseum71: The Etek is a much better gun that the Protege. It has a better asa, it comes in a better case, and it has three LED lights, as opposed to one."
"Sometimes, i will get a bag of cheeseburgers and sit down in here and just whack off all day long, even eat them at the same time!!...Hey!...don't you judge me"--Rob Riggle "Blackballed the Movie"
asylum11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:38 PM #17
speed_GA
GO MAVS

speed_GA is a founding member
speed_GA supports Empire
having owned a dm6 and currently a dm14. Not much has changed internally like someone else said. Both are solid markers, dm14 feels better in my opinion and is easier to maintain(dm14's have tool less grips and push button bolt). Now with your budget...I'd personally look at a axe. Considering a new one just dropped...prices are down and even ansgear has dropped the new black one to 399bucks. I've seen axe's go used all day for 200bucks.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:51 PM #18
toptencoach
TopTenCoach

Annual Supporting Member
There has been a permanent spot in my bag for
a DM6 for the past seven years. I've probably
had 300 markers in my lifetime, and for overall
goodness on all levels, I stand behind, and urge
people to get a good DM6. Monkey around with
experimenting with other types, sure, but you'll
never go wrong with a DM6 (they're the only
ones without the blasted eye pipes).
toptencoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:06 PM #19
imped4now
BTFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum11 View Post
imped has NO idea what he is talking about. Dm6's size compared to 12's and 13's are barely existent at best...at least not enough to come close to justify another $200 on up jump into the $400 used gun market. The g6r, the luxe, the new droid 6.....all upper end markers with around the same body length and hight of the dm6. I say grab a dm6 for $180 shipped and shoot ppl. My dm6 and 7's take down dm14's, Lv1's, and luxes all day..errrday lol
Look around at my posts. I clearly don't have a clue what I'm talking about.....

"Huge" may have been a bit overdramatic but the height of the DM6, especially from the trigger to the feedneck, is taller than that of later DM's. The older DM's shoot very nice and are great values but they're not tiny lightweights. Compared to many other markers of that vintage, they're more comfortable due to the frame.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:14 PM #20
floods
Ph 4:12

Annual Supporting Member
floods plays in the PSP
floods owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
floods plays in the APPA D4 division
If you're going to shoot an Axe, don't upgrade it past a Boss bolt. Let it be what it is: a gun that shoots better than it's $250 price tag.

If you're going to pour money into an Axe you might as well get a Geo 3, darted Ego 11, DM14, Luxe 2.0, etc.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:30 PM #21
sloblo
Yellow Fever

I bought a pm8 for my lady recently as a sub 300 pickup it is one of my smoothest shooters. (I shoot an LV1 and have owned many guns) The pm8 can take any aftermarket bolt (read Billy wing) that a DM8-12 uses and the eyes are decent but way fragile. It's smaller than lots of the dm models as well. They can be had for 200-250 usually. I'm a geek for old intimidators as well.
Slate Blue Angel g7 Fly, Lasoya Timmy, and DUST RED DM5 f/s/t
"everyone knows mario isnt average... thats why they call him super mario... get your facts straight Moron."
-Ih8u
sloblo is offline   Reply With Quote