Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 PM #1093
.OBEY.

I already said mich OSU had 22 mil in 2006. *****.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 PM #1094
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchs_drummer06 View Post
Yea......THE HOME STATE OF THE TEAM is not really an accurate representation......

I travel a lot. (12 weeks of vacation this year ) AND.... that's why I used the hat story. That guy lives in Michigan... and travels a lot too.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 PM #1095
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by .OBEY. View Post
I already said mich OSU had 22 mil in 2006. <del>*****</del>.
We were talking ratings. You're talking viewers. Apples/Oranges. Kind of hard to compare. But if that number is correct that would be a massive number... I'm guessing mid teens. Maybe a 15.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 PM #1096
.OBEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
We were talking ratings. You're talking viewers. Apples/Oranges. Kind of hard to compare. But if that number is correct that would be a massive number... I'm guessing mid teens. Maybe a 15.
Rating was a 13. 22 mil viewers.

Quote:
This marks the fourth straight year that ratings have dropped for the Michigan/Ohio State game, dating back to their #1 vs. #2 clash in 2006. That game drew a massive 13.0 rating.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 PM #1097
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
yeah, that's huge.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 PM #1098
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
So what we've established here is that when Mich and tOSU are #1 and #2 and their game is the Prime Time game, everybody watches. Otherwise, they can barely scrap together enough viewers nationwide to outscore a game between two teams that nobody outside their tiny state cares about or even knows is being played? Does that sum up your argument pretty well?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM #1099
mrchuck234
Urban Assault

mrchuck234 plays in the PSP
I just think it's absurd that the iron bowl is better than OSU/UM.

I actually stopped at a restaurant a few years ago outside tuscaloosa on my way to biloxi, and there were people wearing both auburn and alabama shirts, and nobody said **** to each other. Excuse me, but if the "hatred" is that bad, I doubt you'll be wearing war eagle **** in tuscaloosa without at least someone saying something to you. Trying wearing a buckeye shirt in Ann Arbor, or a Michigan shirt in Columbus; GUARANTEE someone tries to start **** with you.

And our rivalry is between two states, your rivalry is between two towns (i guess?). And you don't cancel a "rivalry" for 40 years, that's just dumb. And it wasn't cancelled because of the "hatred", you guys should maybe look up your own history before knocking on ours.

ESPN had a public poll that you could vote on the best rivalry in college football, that means the ENTIRE country voted. Ohio State vs. Michigan won (duh). Guess what? Iron bowl couldn't even beat Army vs. Navy for second place. I know we aren't going to change each others mind, but if I were to agree that the iron bowl was better; we'd both be wrong.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM #1100
mrchuck234
Urban Assault

Quote:
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-...igan-intensity

Also this..

National Overnight TV Ratings.

2011 Bama/Aub = 7.5 (highest rated regular season game of the year on any network)
2011 Mich/OSU = 5.3

2010 Bama/Aub = 4.8
201 Mich/OSU = 4.0

Now, if you understand TV ratings then you understand that the difference between a 7.5 and a 5.3 is ****ing HUGE!!!

And if you understand demographics then you know that Bama has a MUCH smaller population than either Ohio or Michigan, much less both states combined. So it would take a HUGE outside interest in the game for Bama/Aub to even equal Mich/OSU in ratings, much less smoke them like they did in 2011.
Ohio State vs. Michigan is a 12pm kickoff, and the iron bowl is primetime.

I wouldn't exactly be proud of those numbers. I'd venture as far as to say if one immediately proceeded the other; we'd win the ratings battle.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM #1101
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es

Why does nationwide appeal matter? I still never got that. At the core of it, Bama/Auburn is worse. People there dont care and never have cared about what people outside think of it when they go about that rivalry. Why would it matter what some people in NYC or Cali think about it? How does that indicate the intensity of a rivalry? Stupid. I judge rivalries based on the passion involved and intensity of the hatred. Not how popular they are.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 PM #1102
mrchuck234
Urban Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
Why does nationwide appeal matter? I still never got that. At the core of it, Bama/Auburn is worse. People there dont care and never have cared about what people outside think of it when they go about that rivalry. Why would it matter what some people in NYC or Cali think about it? How does that indicate the intensity of a rivalry? Stupid. I judge rivalries based on the passion involved and intensity of the hatred. Not how popular they are.
Exactly, which is why I think ours is better.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM #1103
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
I don't know anything about TV ratings. Explain.
You'll often hear 3 numbers... Rating/Share/Viewers

Viewers is the number of sets tuned to a show.

Rating is the percentage of ALL TVs tuned to a program.

Share reflects the percentage of TVs actually in use that are tuned to a program. So if you're out to dinner and you're TV is off, you don't get counted.

In 2010 there were about 116 million television households in the US. So 1 rating point = 1.16 million.

Ratings have gone down over the years as people have more entertainment options. In the 1950s when people only had 2 or 3 channels it wasn't unusual for a show to get a 40-50 rating. Now with hundreds of channels to choose from, the ratings are much lower. Monday Night Football averages about 13. And when comparing ratings you have to take into account what else was on that night. A crapy show might get a decent rating on the right night. But even a great show is gonna bomb against the SuperBowl.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 PM #1104
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchuck234 View Post
Exactly, which is why I think ours is better.
No. Bama/Auburn is much meaner.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 PM #1105
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
What are you basing this on?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 PM #1106
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
I wouldn't exactly be proud of those numbers. I'd venture as far as to say if one immediately proceeded the other; we'd win the ratings battle.
What part of highest rated regular season game of the year didn't you understand?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM #1107
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
I didnt say nationwide appeal mattered. I was addressing a specific point made that nobody outside the state of Alabama cared about the Iron Bowl but everybody in the country cares about Mich OSU. National TV ratings are a perfect way to dispel that myth. If only people in tiny Alabama care about the Iron Bowl then how come the two much larger states of Michigan and Ohio state can't drum up enough viewers in the entire country to top them?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 PM #1108
mrchuck234
Urban Assault

Quote:
What part of highest rated regular season game of the year didn't you understand?
Between two teams with national title implications? No ****.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM #1109
mrchuck234
Urban Assault

Quote:
I didnt say nationwide appeal mattered. I was addressing a specific point made that nobody outside the state of Alabama cared about the Iron Bowl but everybody in the country cares about Mich OSU. National TV ratings are a perfect way to dispel that myth. If only people in tiny Alabama care about the Iron Bowl then how come the two much larger states of Michigan and Ohio state can't drum up enough viewers in the entire country to top them?
You completely side stepped my earlier post, and are just blurting out what you've already said.

So I'll say it again; OSU/UM is a noon kickoff, Iron Bowl is primetime. Iron Bowl has had national title implications the last few years, so of course more people are going to watch it. But when you presented the numbers, I would bet money that even with OSU and UM being lackluster, we would rival, if not beat your numbers if we were primetime too.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM #1110
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Look... which rivalry is better, meaner, more bitter, heated, or whatever is all subjective. And nobody is going to convince a fan of the other school otherwise. I think AL/Aub is bigger. Mich/OSU fans thing their game is. Shocking right?

But it's one thing to stand up for your team and rivalry. It's a whole other matter to say that the other one doesn't matter and that nobody outside their state cares. I know that Mich/OSU is one of the biggest games in College Football. For Mich/OSU fans to say that Bama/Aub isn't big or that nobody outside Bama cares is ignorant.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM #1111
mrchuck234
Urban Assault

But basing your entire argument over "nobody outside of Alabama cares" is pretty silly. Yeah, people said that including myself, but to harp on just that point sort of proves my point even more.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM #1112
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
You completely side stepped my earlier post, and are just blurting out what you've already said.

So I'll say it again; OSU/UM is a noon kickoff, Iron Bowl is primetime. Iron Bowl has had national title implications the last few years, so of course more people are going to watch it. But when you presented the numbers, I would bet money that even with OSU and UM being lackluster, we would rival, if not beat your numbers if we were primetime too.
I posted the TV ratings to show that the Iron Bowl is important nationally. I didn't feel the need to address any other issue because it had nothing to do with the point I was making.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM #1113
mrchuck234
Urban Assault

Quote:
Quote:
What are you basing this on?
That's what I'd like to know.

I mean yeah im sure the Iron Bowl is intense, but I personally know of recruits who've gotten death threats over our rivalry. The 10 year war? Bo vs Woody? Our rivalry pisses excellence.
Closed Thread