PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 PM #1
NoMas

NoMas is playing at Living Legends VII
My DRIVE to play.

My drive to play.

I've been playing paintball for a long time. I've seen innovation, success, inspiration and complete failure. I've seen WGP take paintball from a backyard game to a full on sport where people pour their very souls into their game. I've seen AGD take concepts and make them into a reality only to be pushed from the sport cause their guns are miss-understood. I've seen Smart Parts... I wont say it, they'll patent it and sue me. I've seen paint go from really crappy unbreakable miss-shapen balls of crap to slightly crappy fragile miss-shapen balls of crap.

I've had many people tell me that the problem with paintball is that it promotes violence, then they go and cuss at 12 year olds playing modern warfare with them. I've see many people tell me that the its dangerous when statistically speaking more people get injured golfing... GOLFING! And most of all... the news. I have saved every local article on paintball praising it... I have one article, the guy in the picture is holding his brand new spyder compact 2000.

I play paintball, it is my life to me. I don't play in tournaments, I play to have fun. Arnt tournaments fun though? Well yes, they are. Until you add refs, players who cheat and then get pissed of AT YOU for shooting them when a ref was watching. I play to have fun and relax. Yes, relax. No one who doesn't play gets that its relaxing. It's like sex really, you hike yourself up on adrenaline, do horrible things to you body and then pass out... completely relaxed.

And what makes me have the drive to play? I've never been popular, ever. I have a mental disorder that makes me avoid crowds. If I'm around people, I shut down. Over the years I've pushed myself through this to a level of "screw it I'm gonna talk to them"... paintball helped that. Through high school, it allowed me to be interactive with people I wouldn't normally hang out with. As the years progressed my LOVE of the sport MADE me branch out and talk to people, to inquire on interests, to hunt out more players. To make friends was a happy accident that came from paintball. I still don't have any good friends, but when I put on my mask... I'm suddenly the SAME as everyone else.

It's a rush, and the feeling of being accepted brings me to tears. when I'm wearing my mask out on a field I take charge, the guy next to me doesn't know that I cried my way though school cause no one like me and I was beat up. All he cares about is whether or not I can help the team win. When I have my mask on people LISTEN to me, the experience players on the fields learn QUICK who to listen to and who not to. I'm happy to say, people usually listen to me. I am one of the more aggressive players, I will always be up front yelling at my team to move and where as I pour cover fire. I am also the guy who will pour 3 pods of paint into the side of someones bunker and help the 13 year old kid who's never played move up and get into a good position to take out his first guy. I would rather see the smile on his face and make him want to come back then get the kill myself.

When new guys come to the field, people laugh. THEY'RE STUPID. But I teach them. I want them to learn, I want them to have fun. If they don't have fun they don't come back and by laughing at a new player you prevent the growth of our sport. Instead of calling him a newb or bonus balling him cause he lacks situational awareness, HELP HIM, NURTURE HIM.

Speaking of being nice to new people, there's a reason you'll notice that this account is new, with little or no posts. This site has a tradition and reputation of having MEAN and HATEFULL members. there will probably be a few posting following this and this thread might even be locked cause of it. Keep it clean. I want people to hear my story but I also want to stay anonymous. I've seen hate and I've seen kindness in paintball. I've seen the rise and falls of many people and companies and most recently... seen how many different ways people can make a paintball gun do the same thing. I've lost track of all these new guns. it shoots fast, and itll be outdated in a year. ~sigh~

I'll shoot a tippmann pro carbine over a ego anyday. cause I know that I can buy em for around 100$ and when I trip and fall and land on it... I can remove the 8" core sample from the barrel, rinse it out with a hose , play the next game and still be able to sell it for 100$. not care if the ano is scratched cause I rubbed it up against the inflatable bunker too much
Many of you will hate this post, many will love it.

In the end?

I'll still play and paintball will still be the reason I get up and strive to go out in the world.

THANK YOU PAINTBALL, you are everything to me.

oh also, to anyone who wishes on this site to say anything anonymously... PM me, I'll be your voice.
NoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 AM #2
Fargo252

Fargo252 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fargo252 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fargo252 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Great story. I love having players like you in our awesome sport.

Christ comes first! Then paintball!
Fargo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 AM #3
reshafer

reshafer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
reshafer is attending Decay of Nations VII
^ This. Thanks for playing and sharing
reshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 PM #4
NoMas

Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 PM #5
War Rookie
ʕᴥʔ

Annual Supporting Member
War Rookie is playing at Living Legends VII
War Rookie owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
War Rookie owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
War Rookie has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
War Rookie is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quality post
War Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:19 PM #6
Chillanator

The importance of showing new players the tips and tricks and helping them enjoy themselves is astronomical. Without them the sport will surely die, great post and as others have said I am glad to share this sport with such great people
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 PM #7
NoMas

You guys are renewing my faith in this website. I still don't think that this post would have been as influential with a name behind it and it never will. I just want, as chill said, to show that this sport is worth it and that picking on the new guy isn't the way to go.

Ill still always be that loud kid that gets the looks and gets talked about and insulted. Meet me on the field. Ill shoot you in the neck then shake your hand and laugh.

I guarantee none of you would ever consider me a friend. I don't know how to be a friend. You minght be at an event somewhere and see some one at a table alone with his head wrapped around a gun in 400 pieces. Youll ask what happened and you'll get a laugh from me and I'll say I was bored and had nothing else to take apart. Ill put my head back down and keep working and you'll walk away.

Be nice to the weird kids at events. Youll never know when it'll be me. But I'll be a little happier now, cause I know someone cared enough to come talk to me.

Thats all that matters
Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 AM #8
indytechnerd
Old and Slow

First, where is the slow-clap smiley? This is well put, as finely written as any forum post I've seen.

Second, you owe me 1 cup of coffee (2 creams, 3 sugars) and/or a 21" HP Monitor for the 2 statements below. I truly enjoyed the SP dig, I remember when the masses were gathering torches and pitchforks to head to SP's HQ and inform them in no uncertain terms the error of their ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMas View Post
... I've seen Smart Parts... I wont say it, they'll patent it and sue me.

... It's like sex really, you hike yourself up on adrenaline, do horrible things to you body and then pass out... completely relaxed.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:32 AM #9
NoMas

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytechnerd View Post
First, where is the slow-clap smiley?

Last edited by NoMas : 08-19-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 PM #10
NoMas

sorry just something quick cause I found this hilarious... now people are making something that every has asked for or had thought would be awesome and theyre getting yelled at.

what the paintball world is coming to summed up in one thread, and then stuffed into a backpack and shoved through a tube
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM #11
kaos_760

kaos_760 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You are a true paintballer:tup
kaos_760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM #12
gopro_pballer12
Average Rec-Ball Player

gopro_pballer12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gopro_pballer12 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
*Tear* That. Was. Amazing. I saw some of my experiences reflected in your story. Seeing kids scream that they hit someone, I don't do that. I simply shoot again. Nice work.
gopro_pballer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:22 PM #13
NoMas

Thank you. Where I feel that my paintball experience is a unique one and I will always be the guy that stands out it still is a relatable story. I'm happy that this thread popped back up andI got nmore feedback. Its good to hear. I'm in a little bit of a paintball rock and hard place situation right now but am determined to play again this year.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 PM #14
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Glad you play to relax and help others out. I too try to play as the guy who helps out the new players.

Our sport needs more nurturing players like you and less GI Dicks.

I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 PM #15
NoMas

you were at LL6? Which team. Anything about you make you stand out in a crowd?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:55 AM #16
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMas View Post
you were at LL6? Which team. Anything about you make you stand out in a crowd?
I played on the Hoard side. I got shot a lot. I wear all black with Evil pants, play a green mini, and overall was the guy who more than likely should have stayed further back instead of running into a fire fight and getting lit up.

I only played Saturday. I think I was shot out an average of 4 times an hour every 6 hours. I didn't get my first kill till the dinner battle. I ran with a crew from Illonois that had a guy with a Viking hat on. I was there rolling stag for most of the day.

I really don't stick out other than running to the front. You probably shot me as I was out over 20 times on Saturday with 6 kills at the end. I still had a blast.

I've played LL6, I.O.N, and UWL this year. I'm registered to play here in Cali and plan to go to D-Day if I can muster up another work trip to Oklahoma this year.

I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 AM #17
NoMas

I was New Empire side. Wouldnt have seen you unless I covered you in paint
Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 PM #18
NoMas

speaking of legends, date is most likely going to be May 16-18. they havnt confirmed but its probably a sure thing, see you on the field.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 PM #19
edwardadkins3
Trashcan Mode [ON]

edwardadkins3 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
edwardadkins3 is an NCPA player
edwardadkins3 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
edwardadkins3 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
This made me tear up.
edwardadkins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 PM #20
NoMas

~pats head~
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM #21
NoMas

I have a sudden urge to go get a sheridan pgp and see how long I can survive the Zombie Apocalypse at paintball explosion on the 13th... Just sayin