Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
Think this spring setup will work?

With my full bodied marker, I had been using a green nelson valve spring and a yellow nelson main spring with the IVG flush with the body. I had been planning on switching to a red madmann valve spring, but never got the chance to test it out.

Having said that, I'm planning on getting a turtled midget cocker from Martin and wondered what you guys think about a red madmann valve spring and a yellow nelson spring. I know I'll have to cut down the main spring a bit, as I was planning on having it just long enough to fit between the hammer and ivg.

Any suggestions / tips?
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

FS: G6R $525 shipped and paypal'd
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2004, 02:38 PM #2
Jynxfactor

Jynxfactor is a Supporting Member
Any answer would be theoretical (and/or uninformed) you will just have to wait and see after the gun is done. Plus it will greatly depend on what input presure your shooting for.
CHRONIC
REDZ
Old 01-06-2004, 03:05 PM #3
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
I don't "shoot for" any particular input pressure, I'm looking for efficiency.
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

Old 01-06-2004, 04:10 PM #4
Jynxfactor

Just caught somthing. When you say you are getting a midget gun, do you mean the back chopped off? because that will take a special main spring.
CHRONIC
REDZ
Old 01-06-2004, 04:31 PM #5
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
Would probably help if you read my post completely too:

Quote:
I know I'll have to cut down the main spring a bit

Old 01-06-2004, 04:45 PM #6
crazyj23
RTFM

just get some Rex length springs
Old 01-06-2004, 04:50 PM #7
Jynxfactor

Sigh: And we know how much of the spring you will cut off and how that will effect the stored energy when the spring is loaded?

When you start chopping on parts the standard characteristics go bye-bye. So again any answer given will be thoretical and/or uninformed. You will have to just do it and see what works.
CHRONIC
REDZ
Old 01-06-2004, 05:04 PM #8
PTflyer

couple of things.......

martin makes "miniblocks" not turtles

as for the springing....

I haven't tried anything yet seeing I haven't gotten my body back yet.....

but here is my thinking and plan of attack of springing my "midget"(Just a name I made up BTW)

Your hammer spring will need to fit between the IVG and the hammer, while the hammer is in the back positition (cocked)

your main spring will need to be about half the length of a standard.....so my thinking is I will need a stiffer shorter spring.......to get a valve to open enough to not have to run it a some crazy high pressure .which would make me need an even stiffer hammer spring to open the valve

So I plan on running a stiff (red-maddman) cut down..and using a rocket valve with the light spring that used to come with them.

Seeing the rocket valve is designed to have the valve spring seal it and not pressure and to fully open all the time........

This means the velocity is controled at the inline reg....rather than the IVG.....it will be easier to spring and run it a reasonable pressure.....

You may ask....."if you control velocity at the reg won't efficency go down.......".....well..not really if you set up the rocket valve correctly.....and adjust the gap at the Spring Retainer Plate (SRP) of the valve accordingly..but once set up..fine adjustments can still be made at the reg.....

I use this valve in antoher marker and once set up works quite well and I get good efficency..

that is my plan of attack.......I'll let you know how I make out once I actually get it.....

Last edited by PTflyer : 01-06-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:41 PM #9
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Jynxfactor
Sigh: And we know how much of the spring you will cut off and how that will effect the stored energy when the spring is loaded?
Actually, just cutting a spring won't lessen the tension it puts out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jynxfactor
When you start chopping on parts the standard characteristics go bye-bye. So again any answer given will be thoretical and/or uninformed. You will have to just do it and see what works.
Not really. In either case, perhaps someone has tried using a Yellow Nelson main spring with a Red Madman valve spring in a full body cocker with a stock valve and has something to pitch in.

Quote:
Originally posted by PTflyer
martin makes "miniblocks" not turtles
I've said it before and I'm saying it again now. There's very little difference between them, they all generally work the same way, just the material used and how the hammer is pulled back. I personally use the term interchangably, I'm sure many others do as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by PTflyer
but here is my thinking and plan of attact of springing my "midget"(Just a name I made up BTW)
Yea, but I like how it sounds, which is why I'm referring to it as that

So far, I think I'm going to just try to get the main spring short enough that it's just a shade longer then the distance between the hammer and the IVG. I think I'll probably start with the red madman spring and go from there.