Old 01-07-2004, 10:19 AM #22
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
Amen Doc.

I've been pointing to that huge-bore aluminum bolt you once turned as evidence of your above statement for a while now, seems to be catching on .

CQ
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2004, 11:16 AM #23
pbjosh
In February -

pbjosh is a founding member
pbjosh works for a Paintball manufacturer
A couple things-

A huge Port bolt can affect the sweet-spot.

With the bolts I have whipped up, the huge port in one case dropped the opperating pressure from 300psi to 200psi. You may have to re-sweet spot the reg. In that case dropping a bolt in there and NOT sweetspoting might mean you are over or under the spot, and the effeciency of the bolt is not properly tested.

Though I do think a tighter port will work as well or better. In the case of the cocker, the bolt normally isn't touching the bolt face when it is in the barrel. The paint is a little bit away, having moved when the bolt stopped. So the 'Face' of the bolt won't affect the paint too much.

I also would look at that hammer. If you can, put the stock one back in. I do not know the setup Jackel is using, but I do know the Stock Hammer works perfect.

Josh

Colin @ Deadly wind: “We need to stay away from each other. You scare me.”

Owner of Patent #7610907: Paintball marker action assembly
Old 01-07-2004, 11:47 AM #24
cledford

I'm going to weigh the hammer I was using and the Jackel today and I'll post the weights.

-Calvin
Old 01-07-2004, 11:59 AM #25
pbjosh
In February -

The weight is good to know, but mainly the placement of the spring.

Many hammers compress the spring to much. Placement of the spring, and even the hammer lug can change from hammer to hammer. I am not saying that is what is going on with the Jackel, but I don't know otherwise.

And put a heavier valve spring in!

Josh

Old 01-07-2004, 02:02 PM #26
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally posted by pbjosh
Though I do think a tighter port will work as well or better. In the case of the cocker, the bolt normally isn't touching the bolt face when it is in the barrel. The paint is a little bit away, having moved when the bolt stopped. So the 'Face' of the bolt won't affect the paint too much.
That's not the point he's making. The point he's trying to make is that the air pressure decreases because it has to expand more. The question I have is how are you losing energy? Wouldn't the gas just fill more space and you'd make it up in volume?[/b][/quote]
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack
Old 01-07-2004, 02:59 PM #27
pbjosh
In February -

And the point I was making was the bolt affects how the action of the valve and air interact. Affecting the sweetspot, which in means a bolt change can increase velocity but use more air, or can lower the velocity but decrease air usage.

This happens in a number of ways.

How much back pressure is on the valve (possibly holding the valve open longer or further) from a tighter bolt can release more air than another bolt, instead of actually flowing faster or better.

The volume of the valve and bolt (both hold a volume of air between the Supply Chamber and the Ball) on a fast acting (read heavy valve spring) valve can allow the maximum amount of air to release before the valve closes again.

In the case of the huge hole bolt I have one of my customers went from shooting 300psi on this cocker with a stock bolt to shooting 200psi with mine.

He actually uses less air per shot now also, gaining 100-200 rounds per tank (68/4500), which is opposite of what should make sence.

It won't be that way for ALL guns, but he was using a nicley sprung stock arrangement and was doing about as good as FF, now he is more in the AKA range.

Which, even to my mind, didn't make to much sence until I started figuring.

Part of the reason I think FF uses the Evo style venturie is to add enough backpressure to open the valve, when a person switches to a better flowing AKA bolt the air left nice and quick. And didn't sit in the valve chamber adding backpressure to the valve, which helped keep it open. So the velocity drops off.

Now, exactly HOW, and WHEN or even WHY I am really still foggy about. We may never know.

But just because a bolt changes velocity doesn't mean the bolt flows better or worse, and doesn't mean it will work for every guns valve arrangement.

I personally like the tight hole bolts myself, and the next batch of deviants will most likely have a smaller hole. We will see.

But there is interaction between the air passages of the bolt and the valve, and sometimes things do not add up how we think they will.

Food for thought-

Josh