PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM #1
Vigario

Feature Film Research - help needed

Hey everyone,
I'm doing research for a feature film script that involves paintball players. I've played paintball before, but only once and back when I was 16. I'm now 33. So I'm looking for some answers to questions I have about how paintball has evolved. The film is meant to be a dark comedy/action horror. The same kind of overall feel as something like Army of Darkness.

The working title is Rhapsody in the land of Darkness. The story involves a small team of (5) paintball players that are headed up to Michigan at night for a tournament that weekend. However they end up in a small town in the middle of the nowhere and can't seem to find their way out. No matter what road they take it always leads them back to the center of town. They meet a young woman named Rhapsody who explains that the whole town (except for herself) has become possessed by an evil orb that has shrouded the town in a bubble of darkness, allowing no one to leave. They quickly find that the townspeople (who are a lot like high functioning zombies) are out to kill them. Their goal is to find the orb and destroy it so that they can free what is left of the townspeople and themselves from the town.

The kicker here is that they discover along the way that the paint in their paintballs somehow causes a chemical reaction with these townspeople and disintegrates them. Far faster and more efficient than regular gun ammo or blades. How convenient. lol. This film isn't meant to be scientifically accurate by any means, just a fun entertaining "hell yeah" can of film filled with a lot of action, heavy music and witty humor.

That said, I want to do right by the paintball community by doing some research and making sure that the gear these guys are using, some of their tactics, lingo and so on are accurate within the paintball community. I don't want you guys to view this film and laugh at the fact that we got everything wrong and that it looks like we gave these guys cheap markers from Walmart and tried to pass them off as serious players. So with that I need your help.

1. Is a team of 5 players realistic for a tournament?
2. What kind of a standard reliable markers would these guys use as their go to guns for everyday play?
3. What kind of markers would these guys pull out if things got tough and they needed to really plow through an onslaught, something that would make ten year old boys yell "OMG I want one?"
4. Do any teams use any kind of wireless communication devices like two way radios in the field?
5. Do players have nicknames or call signs they use and do they have these on their outfits at all?

I'm being doing a lot more reasearch over a period of time and I'll be back with more questions. Any help you can provide me would be really appreciated. Any other suggestions you may have please provide it. Put yourselves int eh shoes of these character sand dream up how you would want to be equipt for this scenario. I'm not looking for input on the story or "hey it would be cool if you did this" type of stuff, as that could lead to a legal tangle of "hey that was my idea and I didn't get paid for them using it" so I'll have to disregard comments like that. Sorry.
Vigario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM #2
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Umm... okay.

1. 5 man events are the standard in speedball. Generally there are back up players as well, but that's not required.
2. If they were a decent team, they would probably be shooting a mix of high end guns. Newer Planet Eclipse Egos, Geos, late model DMs, the Empire Axe, and Bob Long G6Rs are all pretty common and easily recognizable. Purchasing these for a film would get expensive pretty quickly though.
3. All of the aforementioned markers are top of the line. If I needed to plow through hundreds of zombies, I'd take any one of them.
4. Not for speedball. That is something I have seen at scenario events though.
5. I'm sure somebody does, but it's not something I've seen.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM #3
Vigario

Excellent. Thank you for your feedback.

1. Good to know. I wanted to stick with a smaller team as it's more managable and so the audience can get the know the characters better.

2. Just the kind of information I'm looking for. I'm not concerend about budget at this stage.

3. That's a bit of a setback. I was hoping there was something that was sort of "king of the woods" at the moment. Like a minigun of the paintball world.

4. It seems I'm a bit at odds with my original concept, I was placing these guys as more scenario players than speedball players. But yet only a five man team. But that's an easy fix, as they can be just part of a team that is driving up separately.

5. Not that big of deal. Just a curiousity.
Vigario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:18 PM #4
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigario View Post
3. That's a bit of a setback. I was hoping there was something that was sort of "king of the woods" at the moment. Like a minigun of the paintball world.
Oh, I see what you mean. Something like this exists, but you can't buy it from a store.

This is apparently three autocockers firing off of one trigger. There are similar projects out there using different guns, I just can't find them right now.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 PM #5
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
The "Double Trouble" twin Tippmann comes to mind. I can't remember which team runs those things, but there's a few of them out there. The guys that shoot them look the part, too.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote