PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 AM #1
gospeedgo1

How do the Cyborg RX and Droid compare

Hi guys,

i am interestiED in possibly picking up a MacDev marker. Current guns are 3 snipers (Check-it Mini Sniper, Karnivor pump, Jeff Orr V3 pump) and an Etek3. how do the Cyborg RX and Droid compare? i would consider a Clone VX, but they are out of the price range i would like to spend (up to 500) at this time since i mainly play pump.

1. How much quieter is the droid than the cyborg rx? the many shooting videos do not really help show it. i prefer a very quiet shot, i use a hitman mod on my snipers to get the quietest shot possible. i also am more of a single shot person.

2. Droid does not have an LPR, how much of an issue is bolt stick? i play year round (30ş-110şF) and have seen many luxes, shockers, and others go down. i was considering a DM9 instead of the droid (for the LPR), but it sounds like they are much louder than the droid.

3. Is the Droid reg to frame spacing the same or more narrower than the Cyborg RX?

4. How big is the difference in smoothness/kick between the two?

5. out of the two, which would you recommend and why?

Last edited by gospeedgo1 : 08-29-2012 at 09:00 PM.
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 AM #2
pynis
Reagan owns my soul

pynis plays in the APPA D5 division
pynis is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
pynis is Boss
they have completely different bolt systems. its like comparing apples to oranges

"Originally posted by a_nxiety: screw ego's, everyone in the world shoots one. might as well sell them at hollister next to the pre-stained white hoodies and the jeans where knee's cost extra."
pynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 AM #3
TheHef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynis View Post
they have completely different bolt systems. its like comparing apples to oranges
I'll actually try to be helpful.

1. My droid is quite a bit quieter than the rx I owned. The rx is very quiet for a poppet but still the droid beats it.

2.I never had issues with my droid and bolt stick, proper maintenance and care will keep it shooting great. The droid is much smoother than my dm9.

3. I believe the reg spacing is about the same. The rx grip frame feels thinner than that of the droid.

4. The droid is smoother but the rx doesn't have a lot of kick either.

5. I would get the droid, I prefer single tube guns, and the droid for the price performs great.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post80475666
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM #4
gospeedgo1

I am not trying to turn this into poppet vs spool, just trying to understand how they compare since the cyborg rx runs a such a low lpr pressure (50-60 psi) and low hpr pressure. Other than bob long and Alien, i havent really seen modern stacked tube poppets run with low pressures like that.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM #5
Surein

I have an RX and my bud runs with a droid. Both guns are amazing shooters - no doubt. His droid is definitely smoother and quieter - so if these are your main factors then I recommend the Droid.

I do use my half-blocked pump and my mech cocker quite often so I actually like the little kick off the RX. I have a freak bored UL barrel and that does make it much quieter than the matchstik.

The RX does come with an OLED frame and man is it ever easy to take apart and maintain. But if you like pump then you certainly love to tinker and tune so a spool won't likely bother you.

good luck
Surein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:35 PM #6
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

1. I can tell you the RX is comparable to a G6R and the Droid is quieter than that, but not by much. My team mates kept asking if I was shooting low with my droid and eigenbarrel.

2. Think about what the LPR does in the DM... it controls the movement of the bolt ONLY. That is done at ~65psi, whereas the Droid does everything at ~100psi. I think it is actually much less of a factor on Droids/ Clones than most other spools in general.

3. The spacing is almost identical, but the droid grip itself is bulkier. I like the newer frame geometry started with the RX and carried over to the Clone. This is actually the only reason I upgraded from a Droid to a Clone.

4. Smoothness is kind of subjective, but the Droid definitely feels smoother to me, in fact, I'm not sure my Droid wasn't smoother than my Clone. (More than likely was because it was well broken in.)

5. Droid. Much better gun overall. I think the RX was kind of a flop... you had to use a hammer on the bolt pin for crying out loud. The 07 Borg was the best stacked tube poppet until the G6R IMO. The Droid/ Clone was and is the best spool design on the market.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 AM #7
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
RX sounds like angry popcorn.

Droid sounds like a higher-pitched and shorter lengthed "thunt".

RX is more consistent and efficient compared to droid (stock:stock)

I prefer the RX over the droid any day unless the Droid is an Exalt droid.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

HOLY **** EMPIRE SNIPER FOR SALE - LNIB and only $360? Whaaa?

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 AM #8
KurtPB
iLurk

Annual Supporting Member
KurtPB is playing at Living Legends VI
KurtPB is playing at Living Legends VII
Buy both and you won't be disappointed. But on a serious note, I had an RX and LOVED it but also shot a droid a few times and would be very tempted to pick one up over another RX. Just so smooth, feels great in the hands(I prefer the longer guns like the RX, my old automag, etc) and in the end I prefer single tube guns.
KurtPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 AM #9
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
Shooter28 plays in the APPA D3 division
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
Rx came out after, thus is new/better

Seriously though, its hard for anything to compete with a droid between the price and performance.
ΞΞ

R.I.P. Rob Kerr 2/1/91 - 3/15/10 & {HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM #10
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
RX is more consistent and efficient compared to droid (stock:stock)
Consistent? No. Efficient? Yes. The reg is the main factor affecting consistency and the Droid Gladiator and the RX are identical less the filter in the bottomworks and many Droids have the RX bottomworks.

OP, I'd change the decision to 07 Borg vs Droid and even still I'd pick a Droid. Absolutely fantastic guns.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM #11
furbyballer

Annual Supporting Member
furbyballer supports Team VICIOUS
furbyballer supports our troops
furbyballer plays in the APPA D4 division
Droid, hands down! I have yet to find a gun that shoots as well as my current and past droids. I have shot every gun out there today and continue to come back to my droids in my collection. Although, the new GT may give it a run for its money once it gets 100+ cases through it like all my droids.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM #12
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
1. It is significantly quieter. What does a hitman mod to to affect noise on a pump?

2. With proper lube and tuning it should not be an issue, can always up the ABS.

3. reg spacing is the same but the droid grips are thicker

4.Noticable. I guess the best advice is to feel them. I run my rx (soft shot wise) with any stock set spool out there under a luxe or macdev but a tuned spool will edge it out. It is louder but tuned right can really hold its own

5. Rx, efficiency for me. Im a poppet guy for their efficiency, the gt might make me a believer though
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 PM #13
Rebel4x4kid
Team Carnage

Rebel4x4kid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rebel4x4kid posts videos on PbNation
Rebel4x4kid has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Rebel4x4kid has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Rebel4x4kid has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHef View Post
I'll actually try to be helpful.

1. My droid is quite a bit quieter than the rx I owned. The rx is very quiet for a poppet but still the droid beats it.

2.I never had issues with my droid and bolt stick, proper maintenance and care will keep it shooting great. The droid is much smoother than my dm9.

3. I believe the reg spacing is about the same. The rx grip frame feels thinner than that of the droid.

4. The droid is smoother but the rx doesn't have a lot of kick either.

5. I would get the droid, I prefer single tube guns, and the droid for the price performs great.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I owned both at the same time and I was just blown away by the Droid. It was so much smoother. The RX was a pretty sweet gun by itself, I really liked the milling and feel of the gun (also the Tadao board). My only grief with the Droid was the massive amount of o-rings on the bolt drive. Still worth it though.

Rebel4x4kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM #14
gospeedgo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
1. It is significantly quieter. What does a hitman mod to to affect noise on a pump?
the hitmen mod does two things, lets you hold your reg/foregrip for an easy transition to/from semi. it also quiets down the sound signature of the marker.

in the attached video, listen to the pump when he is not holding the handle versus when he does hold the handle. i want to say mine are a little bit quieter. basically, i am wanting the cyborg/droid to be that quiet or more.

Last edited by gospeedgo1 : 08-30-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 PM #15
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
A hitman mod does not affect sound signature, it allows you to pump while holding the reg. Hitman or not the sound signature will be the same when holding the handle forward, and it will be the same when not holding the handle. The hitman mod does not change it.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 AM #16
blueshifty

OP, honestly just get a Droid already. They're seriously one of the quietest guns ever and are silky smooth as well as efficient. I have no idea what else a marker can do...