Old 02-10-2016, 12:56 PM #1
Teraus

Teraus has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Teraus has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Teraus supports Ninja Paintball
Surprised Auto-Fire need Help

Hey guys, I need some help:

Background:
Back in the mid-2000's I started playing paintball with my dad in wooded rec ball fields, he bought me my A-5 and some upgrades and we had fun. Just after I stopped playing (recession hit) my Step-brother was giving away stuff because he was moving out and he gave me his M3 Black Dragun (from my understanding a fake Spyder model essentially). I never used it because I had my own gun already, and when I started playing again 1.5 months ago I was busy using my A-5, repairing it and getting new upgrades for it. That's the backstory.

Now: I want to be able to use the Black Dragun to play some speedball, so I decided to air it up (NO PAINT) to see if it had a leak at all (I already replaced handle battery and that seemed to work fine, seemed like a semi-auto and I'm fine with that, but I expected there to be bad O-rings). To my surprise, no air leak, turn the trigger on, pull it, IT FIRES AROUND 6 SHOTS! I tap it, 3 shots, super light tap, 1 shot. It was loud as crap too (similar to my tippy).

So I am wondering if it is actually an automatic only (never heard of one), or it is Hyper Sensitive, or if there is some other issue? Or is it possible that it would behave differently with paint in it? (I doubt that since it is much older and I'm not sure if there was anti-chop technology back then, especially at that pricepoint).

Any help you can provide would be helpful, I know how to take the handgrip plate off and the bolt drive out, but not sure about how to open it up further than that since it has little silver pins in it and all and the diagram in the manual (found online) is a bit difficult to read in my opinion.

Thank you!
Teraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2016, 01:10 PM #2
SilentSam

SilentSam owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
SilentSam supports DLX Technology
SilentSam supports Ninja Paintball
It appears it should only be semi-automatic by the manual. http://www.mcarterbrown.com/manuals/M3/Blackdragun.pdf
You may be getting hammer bounce, try oiling the o-ring on the hammer.
SilentSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:00 PM #3
lpmaster

has been a member for 10 years
a lot of those models came with an adjustable sear as well, you can check from the back of the frame if it has the extra hole for the sear adjuster screw. it adjusts the sear up and down I believe originally to account for sear wear but ya, give that a go. (i've noticed not all of them came with that option but a lot did.)

lpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:14 AM #4
Teraus

Sam, I'll do that in the morning and let you know how it goes, hopefully my air holds up long enough (I had about 1500-2000psi before remaining)

LPMaster, I'll post a pic soon of my model, the top one cocks the gun, and the bottom one is like a knob with a little hole near the edge to see where it is aimed, not sure if that is what you are referring to or not. What is the main purpose of it? right now I have it tightened all the way (clockwise all the way).
Old 02-11-2016, 11:08 AM #5
lpmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraus View Post
Sam, I'll do that in the morning and let you know how it goes, hopefully my air holds up long enough (I had about 1500-2000psi before remaining)

LPMaster, I'll post a pic soon of my model, the top one cocks the gun, and the bottom one is like a knob with a little hole near the edge to see where it is aimed, not sure if that is what you are referring to or not. What is the main purpose of it? right now I have it tightened all the way (clockwise all the way).
ah you're reffering to the body, I was meaning the trigger frame

Correct, on the body, the top one cocks the bolt and the bottom one is (spring tension) which will equate to your velocity adjustment. All the way screwed in is the tightest spring pressure = highest velocity. and all the way out will be opposite, lightest spring tension "lowest" velocity.

On the rear of the trigger frame itself you may have an adjustment hole for the sear. (the sear is what holds the hammer and bolt in the cocked position. If it is adjustable this could be your problem. You can simply adjust it up a little higher to catch on the hammer more reliably.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:14 AM #6
Teraus

ok, I think I saw what you mean, it is adjusted with an allen wrench (very tiny one. I just did the test run 20 minutes ago and am just about to post pics and videos if I can figure out how.

For the sear, righty tighty lefty loosey? which way do you recommend starting?

Thank you all btw for helping me out, this is the first speedball gun I've handled and unfortunately since it is old the information out there is limited
Old 02-11-2016, 11:18 AM #7
lpmaster

I believe turning the screw counter clockwise will slowly lift the sear. There could already be a little slack there before it even starts to move it so, I would turn it maybe 1/4 turn at a time until it starts to catch reliably. ( you should be able to take off one side of the grips and see exactly what that screw is doing depending on which direction you turn it because I forget at this moment.

I believe it presses on the pancake noid which tells me clockwise would push the sear down and counter-clockwise should allow it to lift up.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM #8
Teraus

Ok, I adjusted the screw counter clockwise as far as I could get it (it is really really tight, I thought about pulling it out and oiling it but it wouldn't move anymore and when I started it was fully turned clockwise). seems to have worked. When I get a chance I will post pictures here and in another forum (with a url to this thread), so that others can see everything.

I will be testing it out Saturday and if there is any more issues with it I'll let you guys know. Thank you again for your help.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 PM #9
Teraus

Update:

It worked fine, I only took it to the chrono target area. The first run through, slow shooting was fine, but if I tried to walk it too fast it would chop the 3rd or fourth ball and any shot after it (it doesn't have anti-chop technology so I expected it to possibly happen). at the end of the day I had some spare paint so I took it over again and started slow and slowly increased my trigger pulls, didn't chop any balls. The paint I used wasn't great though, when I was shooting fast the accuracy suffered tremendously. But the gun works and I thank you all for the help.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:17 PM #10
paintedturtle29

Probably bolt stick or too low of pressure to recock the striker onto the sear. You could try trimming the striker spring and turning the reg pressure up.
paintedturtle29 is offline   Reply With Quote