Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM #1
Smakman
Owner: Smak Zone PB

has been a member for 10 years
Question: Especially for those who consider themselves hardcore

When you attend a scenario event, do you prefer a game break for lunch or straight play through the day and making your own decision when to leave the field of play and take a lunch break?
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM #2
Switch462
Two

Switch462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Switch462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Talk to your command on when is the best time to take a lunch. Usually there is a downtime in games if they are planned correctly with maybe 1 mission going on for small points. If there isn't a best time that they tell you then you should just pick a time and eat. Paintball is a mentally intense sport and you should take breaks to replenish you energy and get your head on straight. A tired player makes a ton of mistakes and add in lack of energy you are making those mistakes and recovering slower.

Suggestion:

Try to eat a light meal so it doesn't and maybe a few power bars throughout the day to keep up your calorie intake. I usually use when I am out of paint as a good indicator of when to get off the field. Regardless of what you do drink tons of water since you are going to be losing a ton of it out there.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 AM #3
DavePSI

I kinda think a scheduled break is best. At the expense of a little game time this ensures people are taking time to cool off and grab a snack/drink. Some people won't think about it until they feel weak.

What I've seen more often during games is when a group of players decides on their own to head out for lunch or get paint and air. They can't find the general and basically leave their team down a number of players. Or worse they leave the field with things active players need at the moment. Now whether this is a good thing or bad thing depends on which side you're on, but working in a break or two will likely have a benefit for all.

Don't forget the poor refs need a breather too. It's tough standing out there the entire day.
DavePSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 PM #4
Highway Pirate

Highway Pirate is playing at Living Legends V
Highway Pirate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Highway Pirate has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Highway Pirate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It depends on the game. Some Generals make rotating time slots for teams to take lunch breaks so there is a constant flow of player on the field at all times.

If you are not in that type of situation, light breakfast, mix in fruit, trail mix and other snacks periodically throughout the day with a moderate lunch. What I mean by moderate lunch is a medium-sized sandwich, not a full sub. The mix of carbs and protein will get you back on top of things in a short amount of time. Leave the big meal for the end of the day after your done. A good proportion of carbs and protein to help recover. Paintball is a high-exertion sport. Treat your body, no matter what level of shape your in, like a machine.

Proper hydration is mostly done the night before. Filling your cells with water and nutrients the night before sets you up for success. I drink 1-2 bottles of water before I go out for the first time in the day and drink 1 bottle each time I fill up air and paint. Every other time I come back in I munch on a snack. Don't be afraid to eat an occasional candy bar. Blood sugar can get low and give you a headache, which sometimes people mistake for dehydration.

Most importantly...get to know your body and listen to it!!!!

WARHOUNDSPAINTBALL.COM

War Hounds Party Brigade-Bringing the PARTY back to paintball!
Highway Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:44 AM #5
JFBalz
Joint Fury Capt.

Back when scenario ball was... scenario ball (ie, late 90's) a "dinner break" was a two hour window where bases couldn't be attacked. That was it. The rest of the game continued, missions were run, points were scored.

Personally, I don't need a game stoppage to eat, drink or take a piss. I can handle all that myself. If there are those who would be on the field to the point of exhaustion or too stupid to not bring water on a hot day without a mandatory stop...well, nature always does find ways to cull the heard, doesn't it?

So, no... I don't think the game should stop for food, scheduled or otherwise. I also don't think the game should stop at night either, (They used to really go a full 24hrs) but that's another difference between what we play now and old school scenario ball.

Last edited by JFBalz : 08-07-2012 at 01:47 AM.
JFBalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 AM #6
Yellow5

One of the big things that sets a good scenario apart from a regular day of segmented game sessions is the fact that it DOES run all day long. Let the game continue. Resetting the field after a break undoes all the hard work you've put in to establish your side on the field.

That doesn't mean the players don't or shouldn't take breaks - I tend to snack & drink when I reload paint & air - but compensating for your players to be off the field (and taking advantage of when your opposition is doing the same) is part of the strategy.

Knightstalkers Scenario Paintball Team
Outdoor Xtreme Chesapeake City
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM #7
Silent Savage
Team PAIN

Silent Savage posts videos on PbNation
I agree with Balz and Yellow I don't like mandatory game breaks. It's another part of the strategy to keep players on the field.

TEAM PAIN

SPBTV
Silent Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM #8
chibbs

The only time a mandatory break is nice is in smaller scenario games less than 150 and that is only if they run all day from 10-7 or something anything less time or more people should be played strait through.

Play hard or not at all!
chibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 PM #9
Comfymumfy

Annual Supporting Member
Comfymumfy is playing at Living Legends III
Comfymumfy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I dislike mandatory breaks...they always take longer than anticipated and they disrupt the flow of the game.
Outdoor Xtreme Chesapeake City OXCC
Comfymumfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM #10
Suspect 69

No sched breaks- play play play. This introduces endurance and dedication.

Company Commander 101st Airborne NE Allied Command.

Team SOD- NY-NJ Rec Ballers Since 1996
Shocker 4x4 SF, Shocker NXT, Russian Legion Shocker, Bob Long Alias, WORR Pro-Stock 'Cocker, PE EGO 11, and a PGP for up close and personal.
Suspect 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM #11
Smakman
Owner: Smak Zone PB

Historically I have usually run the Saturday segment for 8 hours straight through, but with the economy numbers have fallen off and it gets hard to have enough players on the field in early afternoon. I don't like to disrupt the game flow with a mandatory break, but think I am going to throw one in until (or if) the numbers climb again.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM #12
PYROMAN

As a Promoter, we always schedule lunch breaks. The main reason is, it keeps player more in line with the game schedule. If we dont break, players tend to come off whenever they want, making sides very un even.
We also have ALOT of lunch break activities, plus we re chrono all players before they go back out for the 2nd half of the day.
And we start the game on time, from start to end, with or without players on the field. Alot of time and effort goes into creating these games, and when it comes time to play, the Promoters and Players should all be ready to hit the field.
A one hour break typically works best.
Il longest running Young Guns Tournament Series
WWW.SPLATTERZONEPAINTBALL.NET
Xtreme Fantasy Role Playing Games
PYROMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:43 AM #13
Dark Side
You will know the power

Annual Supporting Member
Dark Side is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROMAN View Post
As a Promoter, we always schedule lunch breaks. The main reason is, it keeps player more in line with the game schedule. If we dont break, players tend to come off whenever they want, making sides very un even.
We also have ALOT of lunch break activities, plus we re chrono all players before they go back out for the 2nd half of the day.
And we start the game on time, from start to end, with or without players on the field. Alot of time and effort goes into creating these games, and when it comes time to play, the Promoters and Players should all be ready to hit the field.
A one hour break typically works best.
I understand this, but at the same time in the heat of a battle or when I just busted my *** to get by half the fending army and into a spot where I can really cause some chaos, I'm gonna get PISSED by being told I have to come off.

07/08 Ego Vici Board
Dust Black ShockTech AutoCocker snatch grip
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 AM #14
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Coming from producing a handful of games, i would say that to allow for the least disruption to the flow of the game, no lunch break is best. As a producer it was my job to address the inevitable exodus of the players around noon. The best option was to not run missions for that hour but allow players to still fight. The big problem here is the all too often incidence that blue team leaves 10 people on the field and red still has 40 and it turns into fish in a barrel shoot out. You can argue that it's blue teams fault for only leaving that many players on the field. Good luck organizing the walk ons to leave more players on the field. Whether as a producer or commander. We tried a lunch break, most players liked it. But any time you stop the game, it is almost impossible to get it started again with a fair split of players on the field so it goes in the fail column. We also did the same thing for final battles. 30 minute break for paint and air before the final battle. The majority of players like the idea but again, couldn't get people on field on time. Resorted to not running any missions 30 minutes prior and walking around the field with a bullhorn announcing final battle in T minus... so players that need it can go load up and those that don't can keep shooting. Trial and error solutions that seemed to please the majority of the players. But keep in mind, you'll never please everyone on the field.

Last edited by stevebski : 08-08-2012 at 07:37 AM.
stevebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 AM #15
PYROMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
I understand this, but at the same time in the heat of a battle or when I just busted my *** to get by half the fending army and into a spot where I can really cause some chaos, I'm gonna get PISSED by being told I have to come off.
But if its a scheduled break, then you would know when you need to make your move. I think a break is a HUGE advantage in these games.
And speaking from a seasoned players point of view, us old guys dont mind coming off to get re hydrated to catch that second wind for round 2.
To many advantages vs disadvantages of taking a break in these types of games.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 AM #16
dorsai

dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Game breaks

I'd like to add a few comments regards to the question of breaks,
be they for lunch, dinner, etc.

As 'JFBalz' noted, in the late 80s and early 90s, when the games
used to run for 24 hours, they typically stopped things for dinner
and again for breakfast. During those breaks there weren't any
missions, so all the players came off the field. BTW, those meals
were also part of your entry fee, something which added incentive
to take part in those events over something else that might have
been happening that weekend.

Typically the events kicked off at noon, so there wasn't any need
for a break till the dinner break. Play resumed around 8pm, just
as it was starting to get dark and then it ran straight through till
0600 when there was another 2 hour break for breakfast. After
that the game ran till noon.

The trouble with staging 24 hour events wan't the lack of breaks,
but rather with the endurance of the players. Sure, as the game
got started everyone was pumped up and ready to take on the
world, but by around midnight most of them were off sleeping.

Those who did stay in play for the entire gam did their best to run
the missions as theycame in, as well as serve as base defense, but
when all you've got is 20 players per side, those tasks get nearly
impossible to accomplish.

Another factor that helped kill off these 24 hour events was the
promoter's concern over leaving players so exausted that there
was a serious risk someone would get into an accident on their
way home. This, coupled to the low participation during the early
mornuig hours led promoters to start calling a halt to their games
at midnight.

Today, other then for a few exceptions, promoters seem to have
taken to staging just single day events, or if they do claim it's a
two day affair, it's two daytime segments with the same name.

Sincerely,

Andrew Van Der Plaats, aka 'Dorsai'
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 PM #17
JFBalz
Joint Fury Capt.

While I understand the desire to manufacture the safest events possible but where does it end? I mean, dinner breaks so people eat... Nighttime stand downs so people sleep... What's next? Caddies so they don't forget their paint? Oxygen so they don't forget to breathe? Why is it the producers job to account for the utter stupidity of a select few? When does personal responsibility get thrown back on the consumer so that producers can create and run big boy games again?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM #18
PYROMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFBalz View Post
While I understand the desire to manufacture the safest events possible but where does it end? I mean, dinner breaks so people eat... Nighttime stand downs so people sleep... What's next? Caddies so they don't forget their paint? Oxygen so they don't forget to breathe? Why is it the producers job to account for the utter stupidity of a select few? When does personal responsibility get thrown back on the consumer so that producers can create and run big boy games again?
Welcome to the 80's.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM #19
dorsai

dorsai posts videos on PbNation
All I can tell you is that when I broke away from Dollack I
found a number of fields, both here in Florida as well as in
Texas, who were willing to hire me to stage 24hr events.
I also approached the staff at Camp Blanding (FLARNG)
and the result was 4 more events there before I handed
off the site to MXSportz and before I took on the idea
of trying to sell paintball to the military as a lower cost
alternative to MILEs for CQB training.

If you feel that no one is offfering what you're proposing,
look around and find a field willing to let you stage your
own 24hr event. I know some of you and your groups
know how to run events, afterall you've had enough
practice, not to mention the training needed to pull off
a great 24 hr FTX.

Need more tips, or some help lining up vendors, paint
sponsors, or insurance, give me a call. Depending on'
where you decide to stage this proposed event, I may
even be in a position to help promote it through the
player data base that was created by the staff of our
Oklahoma D-Day Allied Army.

Sincerely,
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 AM #20
JFBalz
Joint Fury Capt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsai View Post
If you feel that no one is offfering what you're proposing,
look around and find a field willing to let you stage your
own 24hr event. I know some of you and your groups
know how to run events, afterall you've had enough
practice, not to mention the training needed to pull off
a great 24 hr FTX.
Simply put, if I were to run a game I couldn't play it.
I have no interest in living off the game, my paint money comes from chasing bad guys through housing projects and down alleys. I'm a player... a consumer. I sample what's been created and decide if it's worth any more of my time.
We hear a lot about "attendance is down" and "the economy sucks." Do you think that if these fields stopped running the same miss-able games year after year, or maybe got crazy and revisited the old school formats and made the games really challenging, that maybe the people would show? I do. I remember people flying in from all over the country for Wayne's Squirmish games in July... then flying again to Ocala in December. Because they were the best and players would pass on a lot of hamburger to eat the steak. Now people throw the latest movie title on a tired format and blame the economy for the ****ty attendance. Run a game that offers everything the locals don't, and the scenario community will beat a path to your door... no matter where it is.

I know you guys do well with D-Day, just as Squirmish does with ION. Congrats on the success and from a money standpoint I understand not fixing it if it ain't broken... but those are niche games. They're like Grateful Dead concerts of paintball. It's mostly the same people year after year and that's fine... but for my money, those games just are big hamburgers. Give me a true 24hr game with absolutely no stand downs, and NVG friendly... I'll be there. Offer me a good steak game and I'm looking for the best airfare and car rental... you'll get my reg, money for at least 2 cases and a heartfelt thank you for doing it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROMAN View Post
Welcome to the 80's.
Hey, if the players that experienced that golden age don't at least try to turn the ship around... when we all hangup our gear, the game will be left to those who don't know any better.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 AM #21
Thompsonshooter
Maker of fine custom guns

Thompsonshooter works for a Paintball manufacturer
Thompsonshooter supports Bob Gurnsey
I personally like no real game breaks if the game is 12 Hours or less. If it's a 26hr game a 2 hr. Dinner break is nice.

But if the game were to be as real as possible and a total scenario game, then 0 Breaks and eat in your foxhole.
Making Custom Paintball Guns Since 1999
http://www.englerpaintballguns.com
Thompsonshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyScenario Ups