ReplyRegional Ups

Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 AM #1
mrspeeddemon

mrspeeddemon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mrspeeddemon supports Team VICIOUS
mrspeeddemon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mrspeeddemon supports Empire
TE's woodsball series

this will be the thread for our 5 man woodsball series. I'm new to running a tournement series so bare with me here people.

any questions, comments, suggestions, advice, or free agents post here.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
, if you want peace, prepare for war
mrspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM #2
egopaintslinger

would like more info on the date prices for the series price for paint if it is indeed on the 28th mark down a team from Anaconda thanks
egopaintslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 PM #3
1oldschoolG

I am going to try to get a team together for a few dates. Will be very inexperienced but who knows. I am with ego here, can I get some dates and prices?
1oldschoolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM #4
mrspeeddemon

Ok so for this year we are gonna be independent of the actual pointman series. We will still follow their format and their rules but because of schedule conflicts and other problems it will be locally run. Entry will be $10 per player on your roster, max of 10 people per roster. This will go towards a trophy and maybe shirts or something. Paint will the still be our normal rates, $40 for regular paint and $50 for higher grade(brand varies- probably evil) and field and air fees will also remain the same. But this is different from a regular tournament where a bunch of teams shoe up and play until the day ends. We only have 3 teams per day playing a total of 9 games and then we're back to regular play for the rest of the day. Each team only has to play a total of 3 days in the series and we average scores to find the champion. The whole point of this series is have organized fun, not get all competitive and whiny. And if that doesn't happen then we won't continue this next year.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM #5
ACESn8s
OH YEAH!

Since you are not attaching yourself to the one league you have previously mentioned, I do have a suggestion on another layout you could use:

http://www.woodsballtournament.com/rules.htm

I reffed one of these down in Arizona, and I was a little sad we reffed instead of played (but reffing helped pay for playing Vegas NPPL). It was a blast to watch, and from what I heard a ton of fun to play. Rules are similar to the ones you have mentioned, but a little different on the paint restrictions.
ACESn8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 PM #6
egopaintslinger

if you want or need any info,help,or suggestions about facilitating tourneys we have a bunch of experience in running,setting up,and reffing all types of tourneys. One suggestion is try not to lowlimit the number of teams if you have players that are willing to come to you to play try to facilitate them .
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM #7
mrspeeddemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACESn8s View Post
Since you are not attaching yourself to the one league you have previously mentioned, I do have a suggestion on another layout you could use:

http://www.woodsballtournament.com/rules.htm

I reffed one of these down in Arizona, and I was a little sad we reffed instead of played (but reffing helped pay for playing Vegas NPPL). It was a blast to watch, and from what I heard a ton of fun to play. Rules are similar to the ones you have mentioned, but a little different on the paint restrictions.
We actually looked at that series as well. And for the reffing issue thats one of the great things about the pointman series- 3 teams play per day taking turns reffing. Also the whole end plan for this whole deal is to get more organized players so that we can put on a big scenario event towards the end of the year.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 PM #8
egopaintslinger

what is your situation on air is it just co2 or do you have hpa . might seem like silly questions but would like to know what we are dealing with prior to getting up there
Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 AM #9
mrspeeddemon

We do have Co2 but we mainly use HPA, we have a compressor on site and offer up to 4500psi. All day air is $5

Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 AM #10
WhiteTrashMT

so only 3 teams will play on the 28th?
WhiteTrashMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 AM #11
mrspeeddemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrashMT View Post
so only 3 teams will play on the 28th?
Yeah- only 3 teams play per day and teams are only required to play 3 total days over the course of the series. Alot different from your typical paintball tourney. So depending on the number of teams we could have as little as one tourney day per month. Heres the rules for everybody to check out again.

http://www.pointmanwoodsball.com/Dow...League2012.pdf

Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 AM #12
MTB baller
The People's Champion

MTB baller plays in the USPL
MTB baller plays in the PSP
MTB baller owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
MTB baller plays in the APPA D2 division
This seems kind of odd, it makes it a little difficult to gauge interest when you have no idea what day you will play, and knowing when you do play, you only get to play 2 different teams? Not much of a tournament.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM #13
mrspeeddemon

Exactly its not a tournament its a league or a series of games. I've tried to convey that it is not a tournament it is just a way to add a little structure to woodsball hopefully without too much of the whining and junk that normally comes with competition. Think of like a bowling or dart league- just some organized fun. And if only 3 teams play per day then the rest of the day is still open for regular play or whatever. And I can't give you exact dates until I have a list of teams. I know its kind the chicken and the egg thing you need one before the other but the dates are flexible to work with peoples changing schedules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB baller View Post
This seems kind of odd, it makes it a little difficult to gauge interest when you have no idea what day you will play, and knowing when you do play, you only get to play 2 different teams? Not much of a tournament.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM #14
ACESn8s
OH YEAH!

Well, it seems you are going to pigeon hole yourself to ONLY local teams with this plan. I have recruited about 20 different guys to make up some teams & was looking at an 8 hour drive one way myself to play. But if we are only playing 2 teams a day, I can guarantee over 15 of those guys are out. & I am talking about players that have some clout and history within Montana paintball. If you look, there are a lot of woodsball leagues that are a series. They actually set specific dates. They end up having a better quality turnout, because the teams playing are doing so because they know there will be a significant increase in teams to play over any normal rec play.

But if this is all you plan to do, good luck to you sir.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:49 PM #15
mrspeeddemon

Ok I see your point im just going off of the format that is already established. If we need to make some adjustments for people to travel then we can do so. We would also like to do a scenario game towards the end of the year. I'm sorry guys I have no experience with this stuff and I wasn't supposed to even be running this but its getting close to that time so I'm doing the best I can while juggling all the other stuff that needs to be taken care of. If anybody wants to help me with this stuff I'd be more than happy to listen. Pm me or call though 406-899-8413

Old 04-06-2012, 03:51 PM #16
ACESn8s
OH YEAH!

I did send you a PM a few days ago.

With that being said, I think your 3-team idea might be good for a local league or something. But I also think you should realize the potential for doing another league. Maybe you can do both. Run a thing more targeting local like you have described, and do something with 3 concrete dates like UWL, or the link I posted, WTL. You can use the more local league to help generate some teams for the bigger league and the bigger league could satisfy the demand among the more experienced players.

Honestly, I haven't played paintball in MT since early 2008. To me it looks like there is a lot of disconnect (as I have discussed with the aforementioned players) between fields and teams. There never used to be this disconnect. Yes there are less people playing because of different financial issues and such, but one of the great things about a rec/woodsball series is it is low cost to players and low overhead to a field. Many of the guys I have talked to are excited to play paintball and not spend $200 or more to play per person. In fact so much so a couple have mentioned they are considering investing in pump gear.

My advice, if you want it, is to try and make both happen. I have seen that there is a demand. Fortunately for you there is not much supply (simple economics).
Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 PM #17
loneassassin
A Grim and...

It would actually make it handier for me if I didn't have to go to every event on a set date. I'd really like to put a team together and do this thing but I have A LOT of other commitments over the summer. I can't make the first event, that's one thing for sure. But I'm really interested in doing one or several events -- based on the price alone.

There are a lot of paintball players in Montana, but most of us can't afford to play a $200/day event, even once. That's the main reason I don't play regular tournaments anymore (that and I'm too old ). I really like that you're trying to keep it affordable and maybe kind of grassroots. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this, and I think you should continue with your plans and see how it works. This doesn't have to be a "perfect" series, especially since it's your first. The important thing is that people show up; the more the better, and everybody has FUN.

My $.02, for what it's worth. (I have, after all, been playing paintball in Montana since 1993.)

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM #18
ACESn8s
OH YEAH!

Quote:
It would actually make it handier for me if I didn't have to go to every event on a set date.
Hence why I recommend trying to setup both.

Quote:
(I have, after all, been playing paintball in Montana since 1993.)
Is this Ben?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:10 AM #19
Huff n Puff

Huff n Puff helped look for balloons
Huff n Puff supports Team VICIOUS
Huff n Puff posts videos on PbNation
Huff n Puff supports Empire
My issue is I don't know when we are actually doing this. I can get players if I give them dates, but nobody will commit without dates. I guess I'm not really sure how to organize a team for this.
I have to ask for a Saturday off when I work in retail; my bosses don't like that. So if I have that day off I need to know I will actually be playing.

At a local level it's not a huge issue, but when there are people traveling 4+ hours, getting a hotel, etc. we need to know when we would be playing before we can say we can play.
Huff n Puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:49 AM #20
mrspeeddemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff n Puff View Post
My issue is I don't know when we are actually doing this. I can get players if I give them dates, but nobody will commit without dates. I guess I'm not really sure how to organize a team for this.
I have to ask for a Saturday off when I work in retail; my bosses don't like that. So if I have that day off I need to know I will actually be playing.

At a local level it's not a huge issue, but when there are people traveling 4+ hours, getting a hotel, etc. we need to know when we would be playing before we can say we can play.
Ok the whole point of this league is to be flexible to work with peoples schedules. But if everybody insists on dates than we'll start with the third Sunday of every month. With that being said the total number of play dates reflects on the total number of teams signed up. If there are 4 teams then we only need 4 dates, but if there are 7 teams then there will need to be 7 dates. The dates can be flexible so if for example 406Finest is off one month kicking *** in the pros and can't make it out then they can play the next month. So if one date works better for you than another let us know and we'll see how that works with other teams as well. I just don't want to set certain dates in stone and then not have enough teams to fill those dates. i'm trying to make this as clear as possible- sorry if its not coming across.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:14 AM #21
WhiteTrashMT

im down for trying to get a team from havre to play i got two now and a couple maybes. im just getting back into playing and everybody else is pretty new. so throw us in cause im sure i can get 5.
WhiteTrashMT is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups