Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 AM #1
RIOTs
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Woodsball vs Speed Ball

Whilst I am sure this is a frequently asked question, I could not seem to enter the correct key words into the lovely search feature.
I'm just starting to get back into paintball after many years, so I'm been lurking around the board. I see people make mention of good guns for speed ball and good guns for woodsball. I guess my question(s) is...

What exactly makes a marker good for either one versus the other?

I've been looking for a cheap impy (I have a thread open in WTB)... I intend on just messing around in the backyard with an occasional paintball day mixed with both speed and woods ball. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
__________________
Because real paintball is played with heavy classics!
http://www.impulse-owners.com/index.php
RIOTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM #2
lowcoast
Backyard 'Baller
 
lowcoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 902
lowcoast is playing at Living Legends V
lowcoast is playing at Living Legends VI
lowcoast owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
lowcoast is attending Decay of Nations VI
I LOVE this question.
Let me start by saying I don't play tournaments (speedball or woods), my play is 50/50 between the two, and I've owned "woodsball" markers and "speedball" markers.
I see a good woodsball gun to be something you can beat against a rock and have it still work. Tippmanns and all the variations on them are great, and the combinations of parts you can bolt on to achieve different looks is endless.
A good speedball gun would be something you can shoot 15 bps, light, and reliable. It will have eyes, multi-mode electronics, and a good regulator.
Now here's my opinion and advice to people who ask this question, or newer plaers deciding on thier first marker; playing in the woods with a speedball gun is fine, alot of the time more fun because they're generally lighter, but you can't beat it against a tree, or drop it in a puddle.
Playing speedball with a woodsball marker is nigh impossible, without ALOT of upgrades (the exception to this, in my opinion, would be the tm-7).
I personally now shoot an axe, with a sl-68II and tiberius9 for scenarios, or when I get bored. Any of the "mid-range" speedball markers nowadays are pretty good. I suggest browsing youtube for reviews and a 'hands on' point of view.
lowcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM #3
ttimberlak443
aaaaaaaand its gone
 
ttimberlak443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Stephens City, VA
ttimberlak443 supports Team VICIOUS
ttimberlak443 posts videos on PbNation
ttimberlak443 plays in the APPA beginner division
ttimberlak443 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Well the differences between speedball markers and woodsball markers can be a bit blurry since you can really use any marker you want for anything you want. Here is what I find to be the main differences. You should always take good care of your marker inside and out, but these seem to be able to take more of a beating. Really the only mechanical marker I would recommend is the Tippmann 98 because it is one of the most solid markers in paintball. That is why most field use them as rentals.

Woodsball markers are generally mechanical and pump markers. These can be anything from 98 Customs to Phantoms. You also see some woodsball markers with body kits such as rails, foregrips, and stocks. For some people it really gives it the milsim feel. Others just find it to get in the way. The only "electric" woodsball markers you will see is something with an e-grip, which I find to be ultimately useless in a mechanical marker, but that is another discussion.

Speedball markers are generally electric in some way, shape, or form. They are designed to be small, light, and fast. These kind of markers are almost always for efficient than woodsball markers, but you will see (at least if it is a 98) woodsball markers can end up being more reliable. There is just less stuff to break, but moving on. Speedball markers have much more to offer such as eyes, different firing modes, walkable triggers (extremely light pull and longer to use two fingers), regulators, etc. This is the kind of marker that you will see most experienced players using. Depending on the kind you get, they can be a bit more high maintenance, but I think you will find that it is worth it.

So long story short, I would get a speedball style marker. You can use these to your advantage during any style play. They can cost a bit more money, they will treat you well as long as you treat them well, with the exception of a few markers which research will tell you which ones not to get.

If you're looking for something cheap, I would go for the Azodin Blitz, Azodin Zenith, or the Dangerous Power G4. All of them have their ups and downs, but they will work great for messing around in the yard and going on the occasional paintball outing. Just be sure to know the marker inside and out before you even buy and know all of the problems it may have. Also, be warned. Dangerous Power customer support isn't the best. I haven't had any problems with them, but other people have. The time is takes can just be a little bit.

For example, the G4 is notorious for having bolt stick right out of the box. Once you clean off the insides and relube it with something nicer than the stock lube (NEVER use DP 40 lube or any Dangerous Power lubricant. It might as well be glue) then it shouldn't give you very many issues, if any at all.

Both of the Azodin markers are Stack-tube Blowbacks. That being said, they are prone to the issues that STBB's have. Really the only one people have problems with is the bolt not recocking. This is usually caused by low air pressure. Around 1000 PSI left in the tank and you will start to notice that. Azodin has amazing customer support, so if you have ANY problems they will take great care of you. They have offered for me to send my marker in free of charge and they have sent me parts if I say that I need it soon and I can do it myself.

Well this may have been more than you were looking for, but I just want to cover all of my bases. Sorry if it seemed like I was over-doing it
ttimberlak443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM #4
RIOTs
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
No, no.. Great replies. Thanks.

I started with a Spyder Compact back in like 2002, moved up to a cute autococker (nothing but problems) and then moved onto the smart parts Shocker... The 03 model, I forget which letters, (nxt, sft, whatever) and it was a nightmare right out of the box. At which point I just kind of up and sold everything off.

I am looking to just get back into- lightly, of course. It's expensive as you know. I'll look into those guns. I am waiting on a few replies from members/eBay folk on their guns.

Keep those replies coming! I like seeing the different views.
__________________
Because real paintball is played with heavy classics!
http://www.impulse-owners.com/index.php
RIOTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 PM #5
PBloler
I'm a...
 
PBloler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio six one four
PBloler owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PBloler is attending Decay of Nations VI
Im not going to recommend a gun, thats for you to decide but I will say this: Any speedball gun can be used for woodsball but barely any woodsball guns can be used for speedball.
PBloler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM #6
mcoppel
 
 
mcoppel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
mcoppel owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
mcoppel has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mcoppel has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mcoppel has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Get a mini or an axe, works great for anything you will want to use them for. Easy to maintan and clean.
mcoppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 PM #7
ttimberlak443
aaaaaaaand its gone
 
ttimberlak443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Stephens City, VA
ttimberlak443 supports Team VICIOUS
ttimberlak443 posts videos on PbNation
ttimberlak443 plays in the APPA beginner division
ttimberlak443 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoppel View Post
Get a mini or an axe, works great for anything you will want to use them for. Easy to maintan and clean.
They shoot amazing and the Axe has all of the features you would want. The Mini however is very opinion based.

The Mini is well, mini. The trigger guard is very small, and the board (front grip) is very close to the grips. Some people like that compact feel and other people, it drives them crazy. Not to mention, the mini doesn't have an On/Off ASA which most people love. The Mini also has an optical trigger and some people hate the optical trigger design. I don't really like it that much and I don't feel it is as reliable as a microswitch.

The Axe has everything you could want. Large trigger guard, decent board, nice trigger, tool-less bolt removal, On/Off ASA, and a clamping feedneck.

Both markers shoot great, though.
ttimberlak443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM #8
RIOTs
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
And the axe price tag versus the mini. =)

They're both a little more than I'd like to spend for my purposes. I figure I can pick up a used marker for around 100$.
__________________
Because real paintball is played with heavy classics!
http://www.impulse-owners.com/index.php
RIOTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 PM #9
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one
 
tlmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: AZ, USA
 has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
There is no difference between woodsball and speedball markers.

Woodsball =/= milsim. For playing woodsball, anything that is superior in speedball is superior in woodsball. And anything that is superior in woodsball is superior in speedball.

Therefore ANY MARKER MADE that emphasizes performance, is a speedball marker. ANY MARKER MADE that emphasizes performance, is a woodsball marker. Any marker that emphasises looking like a real weapon, is milsim. No marker will suddenly become less effective because you put it beside a tree instead of an inflatable bunker, or beside and inflatable bunker instead of a tree.
__________________
Pics and specs of my markers...tired of updating

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.

Last edited by tlmiller : 09-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM #10
peacob
 
 
peacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
honestly, if you're looking to just get back into the game and not spend any money.... then find a used ion.. its ridiculous how cheap you can get them for, and to be honest, they work great. Does everything a high-end gun can do for the most part, just lacks in many of those aspects. Still, its a good gun for what you'll get them for.

To back my claims, i have 2 ion's. Sure, i use my DM10 and DM5 more often, but for the price i paid for them, they make great backups...especially my upped XE

one with just a lucky barrel and cp trigger, great everyday backyard gun that i got for less than 90$.

And then i have an ION XE fully upped (CP trigger, CP barrel, cp clamping feedneck, cp on/off ASA, CP reg, Firebolt, Virtue laser eyes, SP 360 QEV, and a Virtue board) and this thing shoots ropes... my friend has a etek 3 and him and two our other friends all agree that this ION out-does his etek

of course, i'm sure i'll get no backup on this at all as everyone seems to have it out for ION's, but i can assure you that the people that truly know about them will actually tell you its just ION owners that suck, not the gun itself.

heres a couple (and these are the XE's which have the bolt-out back design so its easier to disassemble and lube):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ion-xe-/2211...em337c24 e245
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMART-PARTS-...em416a2d 745b
__________________
LuxeMob
EgoMafia

Last edited by peacob : 09-17-2012 at 07:14 PM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 PM #11
PBloler
I'm a...
 
PBloler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio six one four
PBloler owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PBloler is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller
There is no difference between woodsball and speedball markers.

Woodsball =/= milsim. For playing woodsball, anything that is superior in speedball is superior in woodsball. And anything that is superior in woodsball is superior in speedball.

Therefore ANY MARKER MADE that emphasizes performance, is a speedball marker. ANY MARKER MADE that emphasizes performance, is a woodsball marker. Any marker that emphasises looking like a real weapon, is milsim. No marker will suddenly become less effective because you put it beside a tree instead of an inflatable bunker, or beside and inflatable bunker instead of a tree.
Try switching hands with a remote coil.
PBloler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 PM #12
archerpb2013
 
 
archerpb2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
archerpb2013 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
archerpb2013 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
archerpb2013 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I play mostly woods and scenario ball, and occasionally get the urge to play speedball. I started with a milsim marker and I liked it for the first few times i played but then when i realized how much nicer the electric guns were as far as weight, efficiency, and just all around ability. So long story short I ended up regretting no just getting an electric gun. So I was broke from buying the first gun and then all the things i wanted for my electric gun(tank,hopper,ect) and ended up buying a used pm7 for about 170 and i love it! So i recommend getting a speedball gun, because it can be used for both type of games effectively. Also if money is an issue buy a good used electric gun(dms, pms, egos) for under 300 or so.
archerpb2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 PM #13
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
anything that is superior in woodsball is superior in speedball.
O Rly?

Talk to me after an entire day of lugging around a heavy-*** A5. That's what finally convinced me to buy an Axe.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM #14
RIOTs
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
O Rly?

Talk to me after an entire day of lugging around a heavy-*** A5. That's what finally convinced me to buy an Axe.
Well... I'm looking at Impulses at the moment...so....

Lol.
__________________
Because real paintball is played with heavy classics!
http://www.impulse-owners.com/index.php
RIOTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM #15
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one
 
tlmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: AZ, USA
 has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
O Rly?

Talk to me after an entire day of lugging around a heavy-*** A5. That's what finally convinced me to buy an Axe.

An Axe is a better woodsball marker than an A5, plain and simple. Better in the woods, better on speedball, better indoors. A5 isn't a woodsball specific marker, it's simply

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBloler View Post
Try switching hands with a remote coil.
Most people who run remote do that so they can put a stock on their marker. STock = milsim. Again:

MILSIM =/= WOODSBALL and WOODSBALL =/= MILSIM
__________________
Pics and specs of my markers...tired of updating

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 PM #16
ttimberlak443
aaaaaaaand its gone
 
ttimberlak443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Stephens City, VA
ttimberlak443 supports Team VICIOUS
ttimberlak443 posts videos on PbNation
ttimberlak443 plays in the APPA beginner division
ttimberlak443 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOTs View Post
Well... I'm looking at Impulses at the moment...so....

Lol.
ahh...just the Impulse or poppets in general? Personally, I would try to stay away from Smart Parts unless you feel comfortable with it. They aren't around anymore, so no warranties. Although if you do have a problem you could probably call up GoG. Same people, different name.

Although, if its the 2009 Impulse, then by all means get it. Those things are awesome and I know GoG will fix them, just not for free.

Last edited by ttimberlak443 : 09-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.
ttimberlak443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM #17
ttimberlak443
aaaaaaaand its gone
 
ttimberlak443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Stephens City, VA
ttimberlak443 supports Team VICIOUS
ttimberlak443 posts videos on PbNation
ttimberlak443 plays in the APPA beginner division
ttimberlak443 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
There is no difference between woodsball and speedball markers.
I beg to differ. While I agree with you on that they ultimately do the same thing, I don't agree on what you're basing it on.

You claim that there is no REAL difference between, lets say an Ego 11 and 98 Custom. The Ego 11 is going to be lighter and smaller. Both of which WILL help you more in woodsball than a 98 Custom would. It allows you to move quicker and stay smaller.

The rest of the differences we could argue about all day. They are really just features that are nice to have, but will increase the performance. Things like kick, efficiency, and speed can and, most of the time, will make a difference if you're playing woodsball. They will really make a difference in speedball.

They are made this way for a reason...
ttimberlak443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 PM #18
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one
 
tlmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: AZ, USA
 has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
An Ego 11 is a woodsball marker. It's also a speedball marker. Yes, the Ego 11 is superior to the 98C in many, many ways. But that's not because it's not a woodsball marker, it's because it's plain and simple a BETTER marker.
__________________
Pics and specs of my markers...tired of updating

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 AM #19
ttimberlak443
aaaaaaaand its gone
 
ttimberlak443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Stephens City, VA
ttimberlak443 supports Team VICIOUS
ttimberlak443 posts videos on PbNation
ttimberlak443 plays in the APPA beginner division
ttimberlak443 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
An Ego 11 is a woodsball marker. It's also a speedball marker. Yes, the Ego 11 is superior to the 98C in many, many ways. But that's not because it's not a woodsball marker, it's because it's plain and simple a BETTER marker.
I definitely see what you're getting at, but when a marker like that was designed, it was designed for use on the airball field with the ability to be used in the woods. A "woodsball marker" is designed for purely recreational and woodsball play.

I feel that is the difference between a woodsball and speedball marker. If a marker is designed for use easy on both fields, then I would classify that as a speedball marker. If a marker is designed for more just recball and woodsball, then I'd classify that as a woodsball marker.

I realize that we could argue all day about what some markers were designed for. Thats when you have to think, is this marker effective on the airball field? If it is, then I would say that it is a speedball marker. You see a significant difference between the speedball markers and a woodsball marker in a speedball match, and that is where you have to look at the difference.

Personally, I think the whole "speedball marker" and "woodsball marker" classification is just stupid. It would be more accurate and with less confusion if we looked at each marker by its design such as, electric, mechanical, and pump. Then from those categories, you can get more specific like, Spool Valve, Poppet Valve. From there you can get even more specific. That was just a list for the electros, but it would work for all of them. Now I do realize there are people out there that would rather use the categorizing of markers by design than whether its a woodsball or speedball marker. I think it would end up being much easier. But, people will always use the woodsball, speedball categorizing, too.
ttimberlak443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM #20
doomsday57
 
 
doomsday57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey
doomsday57 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
doomsday57 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Get a speed ball gun its more versatile where the woodsball gun would be very difficult to use in a more fast paced game. Really comes down to what your going to do if your mostly playing woodsball and might do airball or speed ball once or twice get a woods ball gun otherwise a nice speedball gun will do the trick
doomsday57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM #21
anthony2714
 
 
anthony2714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
anthony2714 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
anthony2714 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
anthony2714 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I like speedball more because there is more action
__________________
I have BLong g6r 2012, v3 Invert Mini, and rap4 p99
Jt flex selling
anthony2714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump