Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 PM #1
ericl1982

Wink Finding Cash to start a Field

Before anyone tells me about How hard it is to open a paintball field Please save it I have done the Research for more then Three year, But Hitting a Money wall Though I need about twice of what I can come up with The Company is already formed just Want to know if anyone has any tips on getting start up capital. I am thinking about taking on a Partner with the money to back it or at least the credit score to put behind it. This operation will start on a shoe string and build up as demand warrants. I am not going to sink a bunch of money into this until the demand is tested for real. i do have a progressive plan in order ramp up business when the time comes.
ericl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM #2
paintballer187
187PB.COM

Annual Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a Moderator
paintballer187 is a Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballer187 is BST Legit
paintballer187 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Check to see if you have a SBTDC in your area. They can help with finding financing for your business.
paintballer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM #3
Bulldog PB

It sounds like your going to need a partner and now a days thats hard economy is in the crap hole and paintball is seen as a luxury sport i opened my field back in 2010 on a shoe string budget and ill tell you what it was friggin hard finally in 2012 im starting to get my money back but still its a fight. it wasnt easy but i got there and yes it would've been easier if i had a partner or an investor but in my mind its not a good thing down the road ive seen to many field close down because the partners ended up hating each other and fighting over money! to ask some one with a good credit score to back your field is or will be pretty close to near impossible partners are only willing to put there good standing credit foward if you also are putting yours up too. atleast if i was to partner up with someone i would hope they would be willing to lose it all if need be because lets face it small fields are more likly to fail then large well run fields. I know you dont want to hear how hard it is but you do need to hear it. A paintball field isnt easy money its driven by the economy mom and dad arent going to want to fork $100 a weekend for there kid if they have a $60,000 household income. when i opened my field i did all the research looking into operating costs average income in the area stuff like that and i sat down and wieghed my options and decided to make a go at it but all the research in the world didnt tell me how hard it would be. I wish you good luck and if you are able to open another field welcome to the club!
Bulldog PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM #4
Minnesota111

Blood, skin, and semen
Minnesota111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 PM #5
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericl1982 View Post
I am not going to sink a bunch of money into this until the demand is tested for real.
1) Sounds like you are not too confident in your plans, and if you are not willing to "sink a bunch of money into this" why would an investor??

2) You don't test for demand.... you create it.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:06 PM #6
_slash_1
yup, im "that" one....

_slash_1 plays in the USPL
_slash_1 plays in the PSP
_slash_1 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
1) Sounds like you are not too confident in your plans, and if you are not willing to "sink a bunch of money into this" why would an investor??

EXACTLY
_slash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM #7
ophooligan
Avid Death Squad

ophooligan has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Truth.

Also, what is a bunch of money? 5k, 20k, 200k?
What is your initial investment?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM #8
ericl1982

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog PB View Post
It sounds like your going to need a partner and now a days thats hard economy is in the crap hole and paintball is seen as a luxury sport i opened my field back in 2010 on a shoe string budget and ill tell you what it was friggin hard finally in 2012 im starting to get my money back but still its a fight. it wasnt easy but i got there and yes it would've been easier if i had a partner or an investor but in my mind its not a good thing down the road ive seen to many field close down because the partners ended up hating each other and fighting over money! to ask some one with a good credit score to back your field is or will be pretty close to near impossible partners are only willing to put there good standing credit foward if you also are putting yours up too. atleast if i was to partner up with someone i would hope they would be willing to lose it all if need be because lets face it small fields are more likly to fail then large well run fields. I know you dont want to hear how hard it is but you do need to hear it. A paintball field isnt easy money its driven by the economy mom and dad arent going to want to fork $100 a weekend for there kid if they have a $60,000 household income. when i opened my field i did all the research looking into operating costs average income in the area stuff like that and i sat down and wieghed my options and decided to make a go at it but all the research in the world didnt tell me how hard it would be. I wish you good luck and if you are able to open another field welcome to the club!

Thanks for the advice I have already put a few grand into this already I have been throwing every extra dollar that I have at it and I have no Illusions that it is going to be easy I have already looked at the Demographic information and I believe the money is out there. Like I said the Company is already formed and I intend to Keep at least 51% Ownership. I can come up with the money just set me back another few year which may not be a bad thing more time to Plan the better I am not in too much of a Rush but the players in the area that i have talked to are driving an hour or two just to play and we are very close to two college campus and the economy in the area is improving at a rate better then the rest of the county being close to the shale drilling and all. but at least a half dozen business have opened in the last year and where i am working we are having comp sales of 20% to 30%
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 PM #9
ericl1982

Quote:

Well I am very Confident in my plan just don't have the Funds.

I would have to disagree on your second statement You are not going to put a full indoor in outdoor course in a corn field in the middle of no where and expect to make a profit. Makes better business Sense to start with a small operation and build off that.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 PM #10
ericl1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slash_1 View Post
EXACTLY

If I could get the Money we would be having this conversion.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 PM #11
ericl1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophooligan View Post
Truth.

Also, what is a bunch of money? 5k, 20k, 200k?
What is your initial investment?
So far I have about 5k In the formation of the company, Website and the initial research so far I am sure in a few months here that will be closer to ten.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 PM #12
GatSplat

Quote:
I would have to disagree on your second statement You are not going to put a full indoor in outdoor course in a corn field in the middle of no where and expect to make a profit. Makes better business Sense to start with a small operation and build off that.
I didn't say put a field in the middle of no where.... I said you need to create demand, not test for it. If you don't have the proper demographics to begin with, stop where you are. If you do have the proper demographics, then building the right facility, and creating a demand is the secret. It's not "build it and they will come". It's build in and convince them they need to come.

So if you need to test, to see if there is a demand... don't even bother start.

Reading your post 8 above... you talk about college kids... that is not a successful demographic for most fields if you ask the field owners. What is the population of rich moms with 11 year old kids?

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.

Last edited by GatSplat : 08-27-2012 at 09:50 PM.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM #13
ericl1982

Quote:
I didn't say put a field in the middle of no where.... I said you need to create demand, not test for it. If you don't have the proper demographics to begin with, stop where you are. If you do have the proper demographics, then building the right facility, and creating a demand is the secret. It's not "build it and they will come". It's build in and convince them they need to come.

Lets Leave it as there is Demand here just unsure of how much I am aware that I need to draw customers to the business maybe the wording is a little off.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 PM #14
EAV

Eric, I am in the process of becoming a field owner, and since this idea started 17 months ago, I can tell you that for finding cash,resources etc. It takes a lot planning,research,study,sensibility,creativity,det ail and a lot of patience. Every market is different every area is different, social and cultural aspects of your region take part on the planning and decision process. I hope you already have your module of field that you want to start, that module should have already a price tag, from that figure you start adjusting or becoming creative on how to get the resources needed to complete the next phase. Pay a lot of attention to the people in this forum, they are on the battlefield already, their knowledge is gold.
EAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:19 PM #15
Skipdogg

Using periods and punctuation better would help make your posts easier to read.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 PM #16
ericl1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAV View Post
Eric, I am in the process of becoming a field owner, and since this idea started 17 months ago, I can tell you that for finding cash,resources etc. It takes a lot planning,research,study,sensibility,creativity,det ail and a lot of patience. Every market is different every area is different, social and cultural aspects of your region take part on the planning and decision process. I hope you already have your module of field that you want to start, that module should have already a price tag, from that figure you start adjusting or becoming creative on how to get the resources needed to complete the next phase. Pay a lot of attention to the people in this forum, they are on the battlefield already, their knowledge is gold.
Thanks For the Advice. I know that Planing is the Key, and I will have at least this winter to finish the planning stages. I Know what it is going to cost just polishing every thing up.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:08 PM #17
American Paintball
American Paintball Park

Eric- you just hit one of the biggest barriers to opening a paintball field. Cash. As you will read in any of these posts it costs way more money to start a field than anyone thinks. And even way more money to keep it going. Cutting corners just means your more likely to fail. There is no magic answer to needing more cash to open. You either have it, can get it or you wait till you can. Most people lose interest before they gather enough money to open. The question is do you believe in your idea enough? Can you wait until you get the money or sell your idea and work with a partner? Hang in there and good luck.

Last edited by American Paintball : 08-30-2012 at 04:38 PM.
American Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:25 PM #18
Andocommando
Honey Badger don't care

Andocommando plays in the PSP
Andocommando posts videos on PbNation
Quote:

Reading your post 8 above... you talk about college kids... that is not a successful demographic for most fields if you ask the field owners. What is the population of rich moms with 11 year old kids?
This. Our field is located 8 minutes away from 3 colleges, Totaling around 20,000 students. We pull in about 10-15 college kids a weekend. Truth is, college kids are broke, high school kids have too much going on, but the 10-14 year olds and their moms have pockets full of money to spend.

www.facebook.com/paintballarkansas
Andocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 PM #19
Spyderdome
Resurgence

Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Spyderdome owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Spyderdome is Legendary
Spyderdome is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
I am thinking about taking on a Partner with the money to back it or at least the credit score to put behind it. .
Credit score? I work for one of the largest financial institutions in the country. Contrary to what anyone may tell you, there are zero dollars available from large scale institutions for new businesses. In fact, I won't even take an app, (which will be declined, by the way) if you can't show me two years of tax returns and P&Ls. Sure, my institution supports and backs the SBA, but those loans are usually collateralized. If you don't have any assets to support the risk, the lenders just aren't there anymore.

Unfortunately bud, if you don't have the capital to float your field out of your pocket for at least two years, traditional financing is none existent.

Last edited by Spyderdome : 08-30-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Spyderdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 PM #20
ericl1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderdome View Post
Credit score? I work for one of the largest financial institutions in the country. Contrary to what anyone may tell you, there are zero dollars available from large scale institutions for new businesses. In fact, I won't even take an app, (which will be declined, by the way) if you can't show me two years of tax returns and P&Ls. Sure, my institution supports and backs the SBA, but those loans are usually collateralized. If you don't have any assets to support the risk, the lenders just aren't there anymore.

Unfortunately bud, if you don't have the capital to float your field out of your pocket for at least two years, traditional financing is none existent.
Yeah I Traditional Financing did not even cross my mind. I will think of something here, But I am going to make this happen. Probably just scale it down, and Build from there.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:10 AM #21
swat-paintball

do you alredy have the land ? if not you may consider leasing insted of buying it wil save your cash some supplyer offer financing on compressor and some field supply it may help and now your project is not taking all your time use that spare time to earn money have a second job or a week end job maby even a week end job as a reff in a other field it wil be a great experiance and you will see how other run thier place, estimate and figure out numbers

good luck
swat-paintball is offline   Reply With Quote