Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM #1
tuckeredout

Walking the field...what are you looking for?

What are the aspects you look at when walking the field in order of most to least important. After reading yalls comments on new field layouts I'm constantly asking myself "why didn't I see that" or "how did they notice that" and I feel like I'm walking the field looking for all the wrong things.

Typically, I tend to look at the following:

1) Important zones - Basically choosing bunkers I feel covers the most area and have the most angles.

2) Lanes - Deciding Where I want to hold my stream off the break

3) Lob shots - I like to find certain spots where I can lob a stream over a small pin every few minutes onto the edge of a temple or can.

From the big ones to the small ones, what aspects of the field are you personally looking for when you walk it?

Last edited by tuckeredout : 06-10-2013 at 10:30 PM.
tuckeredout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2013, 01:18 AM #2
zzcn

zzcn has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
zzcn has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
zzcn has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
when its live you are trying to seek players positions and tell this info to your teammates

never run with your head down off the break

nothing else matters
zzcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 PM #3
Texasmetalhead
Arizona

Texasmetalhead is for the Gunfight
Texasmetalhead plays in the APPA beginner division
Look for blind ball spots, pretty much yourr 3rd point. If they aren't expecting a shot from a certain direction, lobing a few shots might completely change the game.

Walk every bunker you would potentially play and pretend to snap out. get your angles, see how preotected/unprotected you would be. PB4A recently played wcppl in vegas, and S2 had a completely open lane on Dorito corner. Half of the teams never saw that coming going into their first few points because they got lazy.

Check for bad turf spots, how much room you have to move between bunkers. Oh! walk both sides of the field. It sounds stupid but not every field is mirrored perfectly.
Texasmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 AM #4
GundogHitman
JUSTICE

GundogHitman plays in the PSP
GundogHitman owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
GundogHitman plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmetalhead View Post
Look for blind ball spots, pretty much yourr 3rd point. If they aren't expecting a shot from a certain direction, lobing a few shots might completely change the game.

Walk every bunker you would potentially play and pretend to snap out. get your angles, see how preotected/unprotected you would be. PB4A recently played wcppl in vegas, and S2 had a completely open lane on Dorito corner. Half of the teams never saw that coming going into their first few points because they got lazy.

Check for bad turf spots, how much room you have to move between bunkers. Oh! walk both sides of the field. It sounds stupid but not every field is mirrored perfectly.
this and

What I usually do is think of the 5 most comfortable bunkers on the field. Then I look for bunkers that need to be taken in order to make those 5 comfortable bunkers uncomfortable.... then I look for the easiest way to fill those bunkers.
GundogHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 PM #5
gopro_pballer12
Average Rec-Ball Player

gopro_pballer12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gopro_pballer12 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Also it is not just comfort you are looking for, its also firing lanes. If a 3 foot high barrel has a great field of fire, you don't have to be comfortable to take down the other team.
gopro_pballer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:56 PM #6
Grazi07
Armada

Grazi07 supports DLX Technology
I think his point is that the comfortable bunkers are the most likely to house an opponent. His real tip is to find the shots that make those bunkers difficult to play.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM #7
Javier1
Paintball Master

Javier1 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Javier1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't be in a populated area!

Never be with a big group of people. They get you spotted, shot, and eliminated!
Javier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:12 AM #8
hayden1406
~

hayden1406 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hayden1406 plays in the APPA beginner division
hayden1406 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hayden1406 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier1 View Post
Never be with a big group of people. They get you spotted, shot, and eliminated!
LOL

Another thing to look for is dead zones to help you safely get to your first bunker

Air Assault Paintball ~ Valley Paintball
hayden1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:31 AM #9
Mr_Grigsby
Hockey Junkie

Mr_Grigsby has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I generally play woodsball, so the first time I walk a field I look for high traffic lanes and all entrances / exits of buildings. It is good to know where you can get flanked from inside a building. That way, you can have someone cover that spot if needed.

Perfect example: My group was playing a One Flag Push match against a walk-on group. Four of us were pushed all the way back into our base. I saw the flag carrier and another of his team pushing up one side. I yelled commands to my group to cover the front, side entrance, and I moved out the back of the building. We kept them pinned for a good while until my side door guy got tagged. They ended up pushing inside that door and won the game.

After the game, the walk-on group said it was the most intense game that they had played all day long. Hearing that made the loss even better. I love getting new players out of their comfort zone and trying new things.

Ready to play against anyone and everyone. May your paint fly straight and never break in your barrel.
Mr_Grigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 PM #10
C0lin

What I would look for, in woodsball, are bunkers that have a great area on places with a lot of traffic.
C0lin is offline   Reply With Quote