Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 PM #1
virk101

virk101 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
virk101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
virk101 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
couple noob questions

hey guys, i just got into paintball, legit just like 2 days into it. I just bought a SFT shocker, that has the following upgrades:
dyansty board
new style freak
on off asa and rail
clamping feed neck and
cp regulater

can someone just roughly tell me what the benefit of each upgrade is and also if the gun is a good starter gun. Just got into thte sport with a couple friends, and sorry to be asking such noob questions but your help is greatly appreciated
virk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 PM #2
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
GhostJedai is BST Trusted
GhostJedai has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai is attending Decay of Nations VII
GhostJedai supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by virk101 View Post
hey guys, i just got into paintball, legit just like 2 days into it. I just bought a SFT shocker, that has the following upgrades:
dyansty board
-- Aftermarket boards will often give you more settings than the stock board. These may include an unlimited bps cap, different modes and tournament locks (to prevent switching modes while playing, aka cheating)
new style freak
-- The Freak barrel kit is a very nice kit that will allow you to get the best paint-to-bore match. This is characterized by 2-3 points of contact between the paint and the bore insert. This will improve accuracy.
on off asa and rail
-- This will just make it easier to take the tank on and off the marker. And on/off will depress the pin on the tank, and usually let it bleed out air to assist in this maneuver.
clamping feed neck
-- makes sure your hopper doesn't fall off in the heat of battle
cp regulater
-- A CP regulator is a fairly decent, mid-high end regulator. It has a nice recharge speed which will prevent drop-off/shoot-down at high rates of fire.

can someone just roughly tell me what the benefit of each upgrade is and also if the gun is a good starter gun. Just got into thte sport with a couple friends, and sorry to be asking such noob questions but your help is greatly appreciated
The Shocker was, and still is, a very nice marker. Formerly in the mid-high-end range, it uses a spool valve system that has very few moving parts (though most electro markers are similar in number of moving parts). So, yes, it's a pretty dang good first marker. It might be a little advanced, but take the time to get to know it, and you'll be alright.

I would simply recommend you maintain the marker as best you can to ensure that it will last you a very long time.

Good luck, and have fun
Christ Krew #17

GhostJedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 PM #3
virk101

virk101 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
virk101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
virk101 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJedai View Post
The Shocker was, and still is, a very nice marker. Formerly in the mid-high-end range, it uses a spool valve system that has very few moving parts (though most electro markers are similar in number of moving parts). So, yes, it's a pretty dang good first marker. It might be a little advanced, but take the time to get to know it, and you'll be alright.

I would simply recommend you maintain the marker as best you can to ensure that it will last you a very long time.

Good luck, and have fun
Thanks so much man
virk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 PM #4
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
You're welcome
Christ Krew #17

Old 08-21-2012, 04:11 PM #5
DaveA

has been a member for 10 years
The shocker is a great gun, many high end tourneys were won with that gun. The longball is quite good. I recommend that you buy a oring kit from Monkey, AND if you find a factory oring kit (OEM) buy just one of those. The monkey kit will take care of most every oring issue you might ever run into, BUT sometimes the cheaper orings have lower tolerances than the factory kits and you'll need to do a full up factory oring swap.
Also go to the shocker forum here at PBN and look up the SpringMod. Version 1 is very very easy to do and works very very well to ensure reliability and consistency. It's cheap and easier to do than the V2 and doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of performance. Either mod is worth doing though. I shoot a shocker as my primary still.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 AM #6
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
The Shocker is honestly not the marker I would have suggested you buy if you are two days into paintball. I say this for a variety of reasons:

1. It can be a complex a marker for someone in your position who doesn't even know what the upgrades on the marker are for.

2. It's the product of a company that's no longer in business so the product support isnt there and replacement parts are going to be more difficult to find.

3. When working properly Shockers were great markers BUT if they are having problems then they could be a nightmare. People are not taking into consideration you newness to the sport and how little knowledge you likely have not only when it comes to fixing a marker but even knowing anything about the internals of it. And considering its a used 2007 marker there is a chance for problems.

What's done is done. Before going to the field I would suggest finding a local shop with a good tech and having them take a real good look at it. Then I would suggest finding and downloading the manual (if you don't already have one) and really studying it cover to cover. Also spend time in the Smart Parts section of this site and learn all you can.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM #7
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
The Shocker is honestly not the marker I would have suggested you buy if you are two days into paintball. I say this for a variety of reasons:

1. It can be a complex a marker for someone in your position who doesn't even know what the upgrades on the marker are for.

2. It's the product of a company that's no longer in business so the product support isnt there and replacement parts are going to be more difficult to find.

3. When working properly Shockers were great markers BUT if they are having problems then they could be a nightmare. People are not taking into consideration you newness to the sport and how little knowledge you likely have not only when it comes to fixing a marker but even knowing anything about the internals of it. And considering its a used 2007 marker there is a chance for problems.

What's done is done. Before going to the field I would suggest finding a local shop with a good tech and having them take a real good look at it. Then I would suggest finding and downloading the manual (if you don't already have one) and really studying it cover to cover. Also spend time in the Smart Parts section of this site and learn all you can.
I thought I mentioned looking over the manual (probably did in another thread), so thanks for dropping that.

I can't stress the imporance of a manual, especially in this case, but I don't think the Shocker is "too complicated." It's fairly complex, yes, but most of the failures come from the o-rings, just as they would on a spyder clone. He just needs to familiarize himself with the marker and he should be set. Doesn't matter if he's been in the game for 2 days or 2 years; you gotta start somewhere.
Christ Krew #17

Old 08-22-2012, 10:43 AM #8
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJedai

I thought I mentioned looking over the manual (probably did in another thread), so thanks for dropping that.

I can't stress the imporance of a manual, especially in this case, but I don't think the Shocker is "too complicated." It's fairly complex, yes, but most of the failures come from the o-rings, just as they would on a spyder clone. He just needs to familiarize himself with the marker and he should be set. Doesn't matter if he's been in the game for 2 days or 2 years; you gotta start somewhere.
I do not disagree with you. But remember to take into consideration the user's knowledge. Not meant to be a knock on the OP but remember he even asked what the benefit of a clamping feedneck and on/off ASA was. These are things we would normally consider common sense. So when you are talking about o-ring maintenance I can easily see him getting lost.

On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM #9
TheHef

The shocker is a great gun, parts , I would recommend getting a sprung bolt because it eliminates most fsdo issues. Other than that buy an o-ring kit and learn how to lube the gun and it will serve you well.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post80475666

Last edited by TheHef : 08-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM #10
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHef
The shocker is a great gun, parts , I would recommend getting a sprung bolt because it eliminates most fsdo issues. Other than that buy an orange kit and learn how to lube the gun and it will serve you well.
I'm sure you are going to have to explain to him what you mean. Sprung bolt, FSDO, Orange kit, etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM #11
PM7_user
My life for Aiur!

PM7_user owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PM7_user posts videos on PbNation
PM7_user plays in the APPA beginner division
PM7_user has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
This may be an obvious thing to say but this is the New Players Forum so, make sure you run HPA on your Shocker. Saw a kid running CO2 on his once

If you are a Christian Paintballer put this in your sig

LeTourneau University
PM7_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:17 PM #12
FXBaller

FXBaller is for the Gunfight
FXBaller is for the Gunfight
FXBaller has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
FXBaller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I agree with soul completely however, you forgot to add that you should talk to people who have them,ask them to show you how to take apart yours, look at YouTube videos on how to program, take apart, maintain... Everything! Learn as much as you can!
Diversity #02
FXBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 PM #13
HateEverything
Everything Burns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostJedai View Post
It's fairly complex, yes, but most of the failures come from the o-rings, just as they would on a spyder clone.
Yeah, I disagree with this wholeheartedly. If he owns an '07 then there is the distinct possibility of problems with the solenoid inserts/ air dist. manifolds. As a multiple shocker owner and retired guntech, I can tell you that a lot of problems can stem from these, unrelated to the orings present as they are just one more additional part that often malfunctions when messed with by people who don't know what they are doing. There is a diagram online somewhere that explains this but if you are two days into paintball, its assistance may be limited. Lesson to OP: DON'T MESS WITH ANYTHING UNTIL YOU SEARCH THE WEB AND LEARN!

EDIT: Found the LINK
Some men just want to watch the world
burn.
MP | SP

Last edited by HateEverything : 08-25-2012 at 12:33 PM.
HateEverything is offline   Reply With Quote