Old 08-18-2012, 11:00 PM #1
AABanned

AABanned is playing at Living Legends VI
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Target Audience

I'm considering to seriously start planning a field. I just want to get some owners' input on if the audience I plan on targeting, is an audience that would actually come play at my field.

I want to open a field, indoor and outdoor if I could find the right place. I imagine having an indoor in addition to the outdoor field would be beneficial with the field being in Northern Ohio.

I want to open a field near Port Clinton and Sandusky. They are popular destinations in the summer and winter for numerous reasons. The main reason being Cedar Point. With attendence of over 3 million visitors per year, there's a potential for a lot of customers. There's also two indoor waterparks, Great Wolf Lodge and Kalahari.

I'm unsure if the same crowds that would be going to those places, would even consider a paintball field. Is anyone gonna add extra night on to their stay or hardly visit the waterpark for the day, to come paintball for a day? I'm thinking some might, some won't.

Even if I don't draw in a lot from that crowd, there's 150,000-200,000 people within a 30 minute drive of where I'd have a field. Is that enough, or is it just a recipe for disaster? Is the whole idea a set up for disaster?
AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 AM #2
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
I wouldn't count on out of towners, tourists, etc. Although it is not unheard of, you have to have one hell of a facility for people to give up vacation time to do something they can, more than likely do at home.

150,000-200,000 people isn't the worst figure I have come across, but most large successful fields are near huge cities, with higher than average income.

Are you thinking of doing this full time, or on the side?
Will it be your main source of income?

Good Luck!
-Will

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 PM #3
AABanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootguy2002 View Post
I wouldn't count on out of towners, tourists, etc. Although it is not unheard of, you have to have one hell of a facility for people to give up vacation time to do something they can, more than likely do at home.

150,000-200,000 people isn't the worst figure I have come across, but most large successful fields are near huge cities, with higher than average income.

Are you thinking of doing this full time, or on the side?
Will it be your main source of income?

Good Luck!
-Will
I would plan on, and strive to provide an experiene like no other field does. I want people to plan a day around coming to my facility. I want to get people to drive an hour, hour and a half. Leading to the next point.

45 minutes away, there would be Toledo; metro population of nearly 700k. 1 hour away, there would be Cleveland; metro population of over 2m.

It would be full time and my main source of income once it opened. I'd hope to get it down to a part time thing for me. Essentially have a field manager, who would carry most of the weight. Is that a plausible happening?

Thanks, trying to research and gather as much information as I can before I get serious about it.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 PM #4
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by AABanned View Post
I would plan on, and strive to provide an experiene like no other field does. I want people to plan a day around coming to my facility. I want to get people to drive an hour, hour and a half. Leading to the next point.

45 minutes away, there would be Toledo; metro population of nearly 700k. 1 hour away, there would be Cleveland; metro population of over 2m.

It would be full time and my main source of income once it opened. I'd hope to get it down to a part time thing for me. Essentially have a field manager, who would carry most of the weight. Is that a plausible happening?

Thanks, trying to research and gather as much information as I can before I get serious about it.
How many paintball fields would be your competition for the Toledo and Cleveland customer base? How much closer to those centres are they and what are yo going to offer to make people want to drive further to get to your field?

I'm in agreement that visitors or tourists make poor paintball customers. We are located by one of the busiest tourist cities in Canada and we get next to no tourist business.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:33 PM #5
AABanned

There's one field like 15 minutes from Toledo. There's 2 or 3 good fields 15 minutes from Cleveland, 4 or 5 good ones in 45 minutes.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 PM #6
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by AABanned View Post
There's one field like 15 minutes from Toledo. There's 2 or 3 good fields 15 minutes from Cleveland, 4 or 5 good ones in 45 minutes.
It sounds like if you want any business from those major centres, you would need to have something different and better enough to draw customers away from fields that are closer and more convenient. That will be a challenge. Low prices to draw them away will most likely not work as the convenience and cost factor to go the extra distance will work against that concept. Therefore the way I see it, your facility would have to be better or unique enough to have people opt to go farther and spend more time and money to get to you.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote