Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM #1
Bulldog PB

How do i contend with a field that is not legit!

I opened my field back in 2010 and ive followed all the approriate measures(tax, i.d., insurance, proper netting, etc.) the first 2 years was slow and i planned for that this being my 3rd summer open business was doing awesome we are on record to do well! but in the last month business has dropped again and i found out that a guy openend his own field with in 4 miles of mine and has not followed the proper measures! he has opened a very sketch field in his back yard with window screen netting protecting his house, no insurance, no tax id number, he sells walmart grade paint, and to top it off he has put a sign up on one of the major road and also made flyers and posted them everywhere with his phone number so people have been calling him, people ask him if there is another field in the area and he says there is but im high priced and dont take care of my customers which is a complete lie i value every customer i have i treat them like friends! my hands are tied for the price of paint i have to sell it at m.s.r.p or i get in trouble with my distrubitors! this guy is a real pain in my side and ruining my hard work for the last 3 year. im afraid if i put in a complaint to the better business bureau then he will take his anger out on my field by destroying bunkers stealing my equipment or some other destructive nature out on me or my family! im a small field and anything happens to my field it would ultimatly end with me shutting down for good! just wondering if you guys have had anything like this or know how to deal with a guy like this? any help would be great! im just frustrated with this guy!
Bulldog PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 AM #2
Egos4flifeguy
- FISH - FISH - FISH -

Egos4flifeguy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Egos4flifeguy is for the Gunfight
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy supports DLX Technology
Do some assertive business actions. Start some 3 man and 5 man tourneys. Do a bunch of rec events. Do something.
Egos4flifeguy's Gearbag Sale
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Blue/Black I4s!
Egos4flifeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 PM #3
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech

has been a member for 10 years
FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
I'm sure he is violating a couple of zoning and safety laws. a couple of "anonymous" calls to the local building inspector, fire marshal, and the local business permit office should solve your problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog PB View Post
im afraid if i put in a complaint to the better business bureau then he will take his anger out on my field by destroying bunkers stealing my equipment or some other destructive nature out on me or my family! im a small field and anything happens to my field it would ultimately end with me shutting down for good!
post no trespassing signs and exercise your 2nd amendment rights
FullMetalJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:33 PM #4
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
Start with the IRS, local zoning office, BBB, Fire marshall, wherever you would apply for a business liscence, etc. You dont have to give your information, leave your tip anynomously. The IRS also pays a percentage on anything they find to be owed, as a reward....

Send someone in to do some Recon, take pictures, get his prices, etc. Dont worry about these fields, they are fly by night. They will come-and go-and come-and go-and come-and go. Wait it out, he cant be consuming enough of your business to put you under. Find out if it is a kid or an adult--is this his primary source of income or a side business?

Offer promotional discounts, such as bring a friend you each get $5 off field fee, bring 5 friends each gets $5 off and you play for free. Have a day and invite out every youth minister within 50 miles, let them play a few games for free. They will bring their church groups, tons of players! Target birthday parties, make sure and put an emphasis on safety, moms and dads will not be interested in dropping their kids off at a field that is un-safe or un-controlled.

Make a list of 20 reasons why your facility/experience is better than his (aside from monetary value), pick the top 10 reasons, and use them!
Safety, we offer refreshments, quick turn around time, fresh paint at affordable prices, etc.

If you are unhappy with your prices and or margins, seek a different distributor. Rarely have I seen MAP on paint. Also there are ways around this. At the end of the day for anyone that plays and shoots a case for example, and pays for entry and air, give them a free entry coupon for next time, that will bring their overall price down and they can essentially apply the coupon to the price of the paint. Try to make your coupons/discounts towards things that essentially dont cost you any money. Entry, compressed air if you have a compressor, etc.

If he is open on Saturdays, be open friday, saturday, and sunday. This is a game called competition, it is in every business. Learn how to compete and be atiment about it.

Best of luck!
-Will

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:17 PM #5
paintballer187
187PB.COM

Annual Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a Moderator
paintballer187 is a Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a founding member
paintballer187 is BST Legit
paintballer187 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJester View Post
I'm sure he is violating a couple of zoning and safety laws. a couple of "anonymous" calls to the local building inspector, fire marshal, and the local business permit office should solve your problems.

post no trespassing signs and exercise your 2nd amendment rights
Check your state laws. You can usually defend yourself and family and not your property. If you did everything right you should have insurance on your equipment against nature and theft.
paintballer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM #6
GatSplat

Quote:
he has opened a very sketch field in his back yard with window screen netting protecting his house, no insurance, no tax id number, he sells walmart grade paint, and to top it off he has put a sign up on one of the major road and also made flyers and posted them everywhere with his phone number so people have been calling him
So let me make sure I understand... you are saying you have competition from someone that is working harder at marketing than you are, and he has a terrible facility and crappy paint, and he is getting your business....

Then I would say if someone that has a lousy place can put you out of business, just imaging what someone well funded with a good business sense could do.

So improve your website, market, advertise, run your place better. It's called competition.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:54 PM #7
TommyTwoToes
Pump Chump

TommyTwoToes plays in the APPA D4 division
I would suggest market better. But at the same time, I bet he is breaking some zoning laws, and if someone gets hurt on his field he could be sued.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM #8
Egos4flifeguy
- FISH - FISH - FISH -

Egos4flifeguy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTwoToes
I would suggest market better. But at the same time, he is breaking zoning laws, and without having insurance, if someone gets hurt on his field he WILL be sued.
Fixed
Egos4flifeguy's Gearbag Sale
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Blue/Black I4s!
Egos4flifeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 PM #9
smasher41
I'm back!!

smasher41 is a Supporting Member
smasher41 is a founding member
I've seen several local fields shut down over the years due to zoning issues. His field will probably follow suit.

My FeedBack 40 positive feedback!

Member #155 on PBN
smasher41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:08 AM #10
MeŠiCX
Boneyard Paintball

MeŠiCX owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
MeŠiCX owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
my hands are tied for the price of paint i have to sell it at m.s.r.p or i get in trouble with my distrubitors!
MSRP = Manufacturer SUGGESTED retail price. What you have to adhere to is MAP pricing (minimum ADVERTISED price).

Hope that helps.
MeŠiCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 PM #11
mrspeeddemon

mrspeeddemon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mrspeeddemon supports Team VICIOUS
mrspeeddemon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mrspeeddemon supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeŠiCX View Post
MSRP = Manufacturer SUGGESTED retail price. What you have to adhere to is MAP pricing (minimum ADVERTISED price).

Hope that helps.
And if you look into the MAP terms with any company it states that you can't advertise for less than the MAP. You can sell it for whatever you want. Thats why if your shopping online sometimes you'll see "to low to list" or "call for pricing" thats a way around MAP.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
, if you want peace, prepare for war
mrspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM #12
Tim@Kick'n
Kick'n Paintball Park

Tim@Kick'n plays in the PSP
Tim@Kick'n plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeeddemon View Post
And if you look into the MAP terms with any company it states that you can't advertise for less than the MAP. You can sell it for whatever you want. Thats why if your shopping online sometimes you'll see "to low to list" or "call for pricing" thats a way around MAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeŠiCX View Post

Hope that helps.
Well you both beat me to that.
GI SPORTZ--AC402.COM--GI VISION--EXALT--V FORCE--PLANET ECLIPSE
KICKNPAINTBALLPARK.COM
Tim@Kick'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM #13
sal briguglio

sal briguglio is a Supporting Member
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends III
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends V
OP,

You need to quit worrying about what your competitor's prices are and what he is doing.

You only need to worry about what YOU are doing right and/or wrong. If your field offers a better experience, if your customer service is great, if your pricing is reasonable (but profitable for you) than just keep doing what you are currently doing and eventually the local customers will make the decision to be your customers.

It does sound like you might want to step up your advertising. Do you have a website?
Proud member of the Master Blasters Traveling Road Show
Proud Supporter of DAN COLBY.
sal briguglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM #14
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal briguglio View Post

It does sound like you might want to step up your advertising. Do you have a website?
He sorta does... but it's one of the really bad free sites... with ads stuck on it to make your own free site... terrible choices of font colors, etc.... http://www.bulldogpaintballpark.webs.com/

That would be the first thing I would do... a complete web make over.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.

Last edited by GatSplat : 08-21-2012 at 11:08 AM.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM #15
TommyTwoToes
Pump Chump

TommyTwoToes plays in the APPA D4 division
you could also do group deals
"if you come with more that 10 people, you get free rentals for the day"
or something along that line
Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM #16
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
Im with Larry,
I would put that website to sleep and fork out the $30 it takes to buy a domain and host it. Build a new website. Your contact phone number is only under your directions tab, put it on your website. A lot of time if there isn't a phone number its a huge turn off for me.

Update your information, a lot of the information on your website is contradicting.

Honestly, I would never sell a case of paint for $45, especially if you are tight in for money. Sell paint $50 a case $15 a bag and keep decent quality paint on hand. Take down the etha, dm12, profits, etc. You will never be able to compete with huge sites (actionvillage, ANS, etc).

I would charge $25 for entry and all day air. If your players use c02 then charge $15 entry and $.25 an ounce for a fill.

If your going to have a calendar, don't let it be slam empty! Put something up every weekend. "Free bbq second saturday each month", "McDowell birthday, Happy birthday tommy!", 3 man tournament, etc.....

Do some spelling and grammar patrol.....

clean up your field and then take pictures of them. Take a picture of your facility, your rental equipment, etc; assuming its all picture worthy.

Add more information, prices, etc.

Most of these things will cost you little to nothing. People may be interested in coming to your field and paying for a game of paintball, however I can assure you they are 10 to 1 more interested in coming to have a great, exciting, safe day of paintball! People WILL pay for the experience!! Be exceptionally nice to every customer! Help them chrono their guns, make simple repairs for free, etc!

Every customer is valuable, treat them as so!

Good luck!
-Will

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM #17
CColt22

Challenge the other field owner to a battle royale.
Loser has to leave town, forever.
Host event at their field.
Recruit massive army of players.
Train every day for 2 weeks.
Train to 80's music.
Montage it up.
Show up at the rival field.
Battle.
Win.
Sketchy field closes forever.
Owner is banished to Antarctica.
????
Profit.
CColt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM #18
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends III
7paintball supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
So let me make sure I understand... you are saying you have competition from someone that is working harder at marketing than you are, and he has a terrible facility and crappy paint, and he is getting your business....

Then I would say if someone that has a lousy place can put you out of business, just imaging what someone well funded with a good business sense could do.

So improve your website, market, advertise, run your place better. It's called competition.
I agree it seems like you are just not hard enough
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:23 AM #19
mrspeeddemon

mrspeeddemon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mrspeeddemon supports Team VICIOUS
mrspeeddemon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mrspeeddemon supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CColt22 View Post
Challenge the other field owner to a battle royale.
Loser has to leave town, forever.
Host event at their field.
Recruit massive army of players.
Train every day for 2 weeks.
Train to 80's music.
Montage it up.
Show up at the rival field.
Battle.
Win.
Sketchy field closes forever.
Owner is banished to Antarctica.
????
Profit.
you must train

then challenge him to a dance off

Si vis pacem, para bellum
, if you want peace, prepare for war
mrspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM #20
Get bunkered (Banned)

Get bunkered is playing at Living Legends V
Get bunkered supports Team VICIOUS
Get bunkered has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Get bunkered is attending Decay of Nations VI
Lol come on guys talk realistic , if I were you I would do a little advertising and have a few people that play at your field got to the say "sketchy" field and then have them give a honest review on which place they would give preference throw it on YouTube and bam sketchy field is forced to close down and you profit or just host some events like 3man or 5 man or some rec things and just beat him out with the pure awesomeness of your field
Get bunkered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM #21
Paintballer12u
KAPPUS #55

Paintballer12u posts videos on PbNation
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
zoneing
KAPPUS#55
Ironmen and RL fan

MAC DEV