PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 AM #1
EricS6661

The Newsroom

Quote:

A news anchor has found a safe niche with his cable show, "News Night", but his life is stirred up when he is forced to work with a new team of colleagues.
Anyone else watching this? It truly hits home on how the mainstream news has changed from keeping the public informed on important issues to just showing whatever will get them higher ratings. The cast is outstanding, the writing is superb, and the fast paced dialogue and quips just brings it over the top.

Here's a trailer for the show

And here's a preview of the pilot, which is by far the most hard hitting, in your face rant you will ever hear, even if it is just a TV show.

This has easily become one of my favorite shows.

Check it out!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM #2
Thor06

Televised news is a joke IMO. The show takes itself way too seriously, so Sorkins usually great dialogue is comical because the characters sound so delusional. I wish the show wasn't telling me how stupid I am for wanting to see the Casey Anthony trial instead of an upcoming economic vote, when I not only don't give a ****... but never gave a ****.. about either of them. Thank you Sorkin! I would've lived the rest of my life thinking Casey Anthony was important. Why the hell would we care that news networks almost missed informing us about the oil spill, when every network aired the living **** out of it every day for months? He makes these people sound/look like heroes, when they're really just salesmen of nothing. (no offense future journalists, you're not wasting your life)

I must've had a bad experience with the news as a child or something. I'm a big Sorkin fan, and a big TV and movie fan, so it bums me out when I can't enjoy a show. I have seen every episode multiple times though, and I will be watching the final 2 episodes as well.
Thor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 AM #3
gun slayer
Yes, I'm an *******.

gun slayer is a Supporting Member
gun slayer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
umadbro?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 PM #4
Thor06

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun slayer
umadbro?
Yeah, obviously. I'm also here to read what you and others have to say about the show though, So thanks for starting that off.

Last edited by Thor06 : 08-17-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 PM #5
EricS6661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor06 View Post
Televised news is a joke IMO. The show takes itself way too seriously, so Sorkins usually great dialogue is comical because the characters sound so delusional. I wish the show wasn't telling me how stupid I am for wanting to see the Casey Anthony trial instead of an upcoming economic vote, when I not only don't give a ****... but never gave a ****.. about either of them. Thank you Sorkin! I would've lived the rest of my life thinking Casey Anthony was important.
This is what I think the show is getting at. You should care about the economic vote. The Casey Anthony trial coverage was just for ratings. They could have easily covered the important details and moved on, but they didn't. They kept speculating with nonstop coverage just for the ratings because that's what their audience wanted to see. The scene showing the demographic Nancy Grace appeals to is too ****ing true.

Quote:
Why the hell would we care that news networks almost missed informing us about the oil spill, when every network aired the living **** out of it every day for months? He makes these people sound/look like heroes, when they're really just salesmen of nothing. (no offense future journalists, you're not wasting your life)
That's the point. That much coverage wasn't needed. We knew what was happening, we had the information, but the news outlets kept up constant coverage, including tons of video of just the oil rig burning. It was all for ratings. There were more important stories to cover at the time.

Quote:
I must've had a bad experience with the news as a child or something. I'm a big Sorkin fan, and a big TV and movie fan, so it bums me out when I can't enjoy a show. I have seen every episode multiple times though, and I will be watching the final 2 episodes as well.
I see exactly where Sorkin is coming from in his writing. Too much coverage is put on a certain event and then everything else just gets forgotten about. I enjoy the hell out of this show. Maybe you just aren't watching it from the right perspective.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM #6
Thor06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS6661 View Post
This is what I think the show is getting at. You should care about the economic vote. The Casey Anthony trial coverage was just for ratings. They could have easily covered the important details and moved on, but they didn't. They kept speculating with nonstop coverage just for the ratings because that's what their audience wanted to see. The scene showing the demographic Nancy Grace appeals to is too ****ing true.

That's the point. That much coverage wasn't needed. We knew what was happening, we had the information, but the news outlets kept up constant coverage, including tons of video of just the oil rig burning. It was all for ratings. There were more important stories to cover at the time.

I see exactly where Sorkin is coming from in his writing. Too much coverage is put on a certain event and then everything else just gets forgotten about. I enjoy the hell out of this show. Maybe you just aren't watching it from the right perspective.

I understand its meant to criticize the news, and I also see the entertainment value of the show... but how does blaming the general public (aka his audience) help the big picture? The audience doesn't determine how TV shows are rated, or how news networks make money, yet Sorkin puts more heat on them than the news outlet itself.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 PM #7
EricS6661

Well technically, the audience does. If the news outlets see an increase in their audience when they start reporting on more entertaining news, then they will stick to that. Why? More money and higher ratings.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 PM #8
Thor06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS6661
Well technically, the audience does. If the news outlets see an increase in their audience when they start reporting on more entertaining news, then they will stick to that. Why? More money and higher ratings.
I get the business, but the audience ultimately has no vote in what's aired. According to that it would be all entertainment all the time (everything on TV aside from news) if it were up to the audience, and then the news outlets would have more money and higher ratings. The point of The Newsroom is that the right news should be shown regardless of outside input, yet he's blaming his audience for their past input.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 PM #9
EricS6661

You aren't understanding this at all. What you are saying is wrong about the show is exactly how news agencies are run. They report on the entertainment because that's what the audience wants.

If they show political news with facts and no entertainment, people are just going to change to a channel that shows them what they want. The advertisers see a loss of revenue, tell the studios they are pulling their money and move it to other agencies. So what do the news agencies do? They start reporting more hyped up, entertainment stories.

Look at the discovery and history channel. It's filled with absolute garbage now because that is what the majority of people want. Once they started airing 'reality' shows, they saw the increase in revenue, they had more ad agencies contacting them, which means even more money. They are going to keep showing this stuff because the majority of Americans are brainless ****ing morons who don't give a **** about anything outside of Pawn Stars, Jersey Shore, etc.

The audience is directly to blame for it.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:33 PM #10
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
history channel was super legit like 10 years ago. now its got a bunch of horrible **** on it.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 PM #11
mcgyver
Common Sense Is Tingling

mcgyver is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
mcgyver supports Pev's Paintball
mcgyver is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
mcgyver is Legendary
I think that 24 hour news is one if the worst things you can put on your TV.

GO BEARS/CUBS/HAWKS
mcgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 AM #12
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Might have to give it a go. Didn't even realize Sorkin was behind it. The only thing I knew was I kept accindently selecting it when I meant to select the latest episode of True Blood on HBO Go. :/

Edit: Just watched the first episode and love it already. Good call

Last edited by big_scott : 08-19-2012 at 07:04 AM.
big_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 PM #13
EricS6661

That season finale was superb.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 PM #14
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I was kinda disappointed with it overall. It is/was a good show, but I expected bigger things after that first episode. The side love stories are kinda lame IMO.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 AM #15
EricS6661

Yea I would agree but it's essential imo. Look at why Will said what he said in the first episode. It was because of Mackenzie, and now they are incorporating that idea of taking risks and it ties in well with the rest of the story. Plus, there needs to be some relief from the hardline news coverage.

Last edited by EricS6661 : 08-30-2012 at 02:21 AM.
EricS6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 AM #16
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Meh I'm a sucker for a sappy love story sometimes. I'm just disappointed this season was only 10 eps. I had just gotten into, and liked having something else to look forward to on sundays. Now I just have Doctor Who and Breaking Bad until Boardwalk Empire comes back. And Breaking bad is almost done.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 PM #17
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
I wish the show wasn't telling me how stupid I am for wanting to see the Casey Anthony trial instead of an upcoming economic vote, when I not only don't give a ****... but never gave a ****.. about either of them.
welcome to the real world of broadcast news
My Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 AM #18
rT159
BlackOps

has been a member for 10 years
I think it's a great show and hope it continues for years to come.
rT159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM #19
KyIsBack
Flim Flam

Allison Pill, who plays Maggie, accidentally tweeted a topless pic I herself so enjoy that.

POW
KyIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM #20
EricS6661

Saw that. She has near perfect tits.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM #21
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
I thought it was the most unattractive picture featuring boobs I have seen in a long time.