PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-16-2012, 12:34 AM #1
BND10706
Puddle Pirate

BND10706 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Starting out in Paintball, aquired this gun...requesting advice/help

So I know most of you people hate Trilogy's, but let me explain myself. I play once a month with 30 people from work. We play maybe 4-6 hours a month. I currently have no intentions of playing more than that. I wanted my own gun over rentals.

I got this gun for $35 with HPA tank, mask, and 200 round hopper. So I feel I got a deal. He warned me it was not timed and did not work right. When i got home some people told me to just pull the cocking rod back before attaching the tank and that did the trick and it seems to work great. So far about 200 rounds of reballs through and it seems to do good.

So I want to change some things about the gun. Mostly just for my comfort, but I dont mind doing some upgrades if it is going to make a HUGE difference.

I cannot picture spending alot of money for somethign i do for 6 hours a month!

anyways.

1. I want to get a drop forward. Mostly for my comfort. My friends Invert mini has one and the tank is just past the bolt and its so comfortable. My HPA tank on this gun sits so far back its all wonky in the balance.

The problem is i have NO IDEA how to do anything with a drop forward. Do I just buy one and it works? Or do i need a new line? (PLease realize i dont know the terminology yet, but im talking about the line that runs from the regulator?? to the ASA??? hopefully thats the right lingo) or it is just the drop forward and everthing works?

Anyone who can assist with that would be great!

2. Hopper. Right now i have a standard gravity hopper. I will be playing 100% woodsball (for now). the only issue i see is that during tests i have had to shake the gun to get a ball to drop every now and then (im assuming 2 balls are trying to come down at once holding them up). I was just wonding if spending the money on an electric hopper is actually going to be worth it.

3. Barrel. So I know from what I read the Apex 2 barrel is getting mixed reviews. So far I have no complaints. But i have not shot in any type of senerio yet. just reballs. Anyone have experiance with this barrel? Im not sure im willing to spend the $50 on a new barrel if its not really going to change the way I play. I plan on keeping the barrel set to flatline mode anyways 99% of the time just more lookign for advice on this one here.

Finally any suggestions you have for me with this gun?? I want this gun to last for awhile so that if i enjoy the sport I may one day decide to spend the money on getting a new(better) gun down the line. But for now, what I will be playing and my experiance and time I think this gun will be great.

Thanks in advance.
-Brandon

Last edited by BND10706 : 08-16-2012 at 12:57 AM.
BND10706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 AM #2
cruciatus111
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!

cruciatus111 is playing at Living Legends V
cruciatus111 is for the Gunfight
cruciatus111 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cruciatus111 is attending Decay of Nations VI
1. drop forwards are easy to install, and also if i were you, i would invest in having macro line on the gun. its alot easier to work with, especially when you are taking it apart for cleaning/servicing. its not that much more. maybe 20 for fittings, plus about 5 for a foot of macroline

2. as for hoppers, the feedneck is meant really for Viewloaders & smaller necker loaders. so a Vlocity, or ,maybe even an Evolution/eggy 4 would be a good loader. if your not sure, go to a paintball store, and kinda see what loaders would fit the gun.

3. the apex 2 is pretty good barrel, especially since you will be playing woodsball exclusively. what it does is it adds some back spin to the paintball as it exits the barrel. it makes it shoot fairly flat, but you kinda have to arc the gun up because it hits the paintball downwards to add the backspin.

and for 35 bucks for a complete set up is a steal
WGP Jeff Orr Blackout #41/60
cruciatus111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 AM #3
BND10706
Puddle Pirate

Thank you for the advice, just a couple of questions.

The advice about the drop forward and macroline all sounds great, but really I dont know what they are.

So if I am doing this wha all do I need to buy?

as for the price... i felt it was a good deal, but he sold it to me as a non working gun.. the more I seem to find out about it, the more i think he just did not know what he was doing it. As soon as i read up on it, I had no problem getting it to work.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 AM #4
Tempted (Banned)

I think its a Trilogy Pro. Just traded one last week, nice little guns. Macro line is the plastic looking stuff you see on other markers. A macro fitting is threaded on one end and has an open hole on the other. What is so great about it is that you need only to depress the top of the macro fitting to remove the line, no need for tools. The fittings and lines are cheap. As for the drop forward, you have 2 choices. You can get a drop forward/asa combo, which is all in one, or you can get just the drop and use your own ASA. The ASA is the thing that you screw the air tank into.

This is a macro fitting:
http://www.ansgear.com/90_Degree_Mac...ckswivel90.htm

And this is the line:
http://www.ansgear.com/1_Foot_of_Mac...olineblack.htm
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM #5
BND10706
Puddle Pirate

Yes this is a Trilogy Pro.
I will look at investing in macro lines and fittings

So if doing a drop forward with ASA do I need to replace the line that goes to the regulator as well?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:01 PM #6
cruciatus111
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!

cruciatus111 is playing at Living Legends V
cruciatus111 is for the Gunfight
cruciatus111 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cruciatus111 is attending Decay of Nations VI
yes you need 2 fittings, one to go into the asa, and the other for the reg. but if your gonna upgrade it, you should get an on/off asa, it really helps with taking the tank off, and putting it back on
WGP Jeff Orr Blackout #41/60
cruciatus111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM #7
BND10706
Puddle Pirate

ok So I will need a total of 4 things right?

ASA on/off
Drop Forward
Fitting for the Regulator
A Hose?
Where is a good place to buy this stuff?

Thank you again for helping out a newb.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 PM #8
Hogzilla88
Oh You Fancy Huh?

you're probably going to get roll outs with the apex, you might want to look into getting some sort of barrel kit. Or you could just put a piece of electrical tape in the end.
Hogzilla88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM #9
BND10706
Puddle Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogzilla88 View Post
you're probably going to get roll outs with the apex, you might want to look into getting some sort of barrel kit. Or you could just put a piece of electrical tape in the end.
I guess I dont understand. Where do I put the electrical tape and why?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM #10
Hogzilla88
Oh You Fancy Huh?

since cockers are closed bolt, if you don't size your paint to your barrel, the ball will just roll out the barrel before you shoot. You can put a small piece of electrical tape partially on the inside of the barrel, and wrap it around to the outside so it stays in place (probably didn't explain that well). Kind of a ghetto way to prevent rollouts.
Hogzilla88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 PM #11
BND10706
Puddle Pirate

how bad is the rollout? do i need to really worry about it?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 PM #12
Lawpass

Lawpass has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I play Woodsball with a trilogy pro too, great gun! The eggy 4 is a perfect fit for the feed neck. I've used the Tacamo hopper with the channels too, and it works well enough if you want Something better than gravity but without batteries. The apex bore size is going to be a problem as said above, a lapco bore sizer will help if you don't want to spend a ton of money on a barrel kit and don't like the idea of the tape option. I've been really happy with the techt timing rod too, if you're looking to make the timing better down the road it's an upgrade worth getting for sure. Hope you enjoy the gun!
Lawpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 PM #13
Tempted (Banned)

By the way, I'd be willing to bet you can pick up everything you need for a drop forward/asa/macro setup for dirt cheap in the BST section. Probably 10 bucks for everything. If you can't find it, PM me. I'm sure I have it all.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 PM #14
BND10706
Puddle Pirate

ya I posted in the BST section... so far the deals are more than i like, but we will see.

Lawpass - you have to speak to me like a paintball retard because I dont know ANYTHING.

I dont really care what has to do get done, i just want the cheapest/most efficient option. If the balls are going to fall out the barrel, and a peice of electical tape will solve it...great then how do i do that.

If i need to buy somethign....what do i need to buy to solve it......
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM #15
Tempted (Banned)

A barrel kit, which honestly is probably going to cost you more than the marker is worth. I've used electrical tape, works great. Just unscrew the barrel, cut a thin piece of electrical tape, put half the piece inside the barrel, the other half outside. After that, place a ball in the barrel and see if it falls through. If it doesn't, you're good to go. If it does, just repeat those steps and use as many pieces of tape as you need. You don't want it too tight, just enough to keep the ball from rolling out.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 PM #16
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
cptnemo66 is playing at Living Legends VII
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 is attending Decay of Nations VI
cptnemo66 supports Empire
For hoppers you can also look for old 12v Viewloader Revolution(revy). Older & cheaper and plenty fast for a mech cocker. Would be a huge upgrade over a shake & bake hopper. Ive seen a few on the BST here around $15.

Last edited by cptnemo66 : 08-25-2012 at 07:31 PM.
cptnemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 AM #17
Tempted (Banned)

He ended up with an X Board Revy, a Dye pack, some Lock Lids and other stuff

Really a shame too, I wanted to keep that Revy. I was originally sending him an Eggy 2 but found a crack in the shell upon boxing it.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 AM #18
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

fyi....your friends mini did not have a drop forward on it. the mini's air supply is routed through the grip frame and use their own asa. as far as i know there hasnt been anyone who makes a drop forward just for a mini. it would be a rather complicated piece if they did.

personally i have a trilogy very similar to that one, the tactical version, which is basically the same just with a camo color scheme. the regulator (forgrip) is adjustable, just not from the outside.

you sort of need a barrel kit for a cocker. what happens with rollouts is the ball rolls down the barrel a little, so when you fire the gun the paintball doesnt go as far since the air escapes instead of pushing it out so it doesnt go anywhere near as far. one shot might be 280fps, the next 175. you want a kit so you can match your barrel to your paint so it doesnt roll out. you want it to fit just snug. or you can just put a little tape on the inside of the barrel if you dont want to buy a kit, like this:

aka "ghetto widget mod". gets the job done.

personally if i were you, id just get and on/off asa, and a new reg, those two things offer a lot of conveniece and you dont have to spend a whole lot and youll have a great shooter. id go with these probably:
http://www.ansgear.com/Azodin_Inline...rdustblack.htm
cheap, looks nice, and has a swivel so the fitting doesnt end up pointing out the side at random.

cheap on/off asa's...you can get a drop for cheap here if you really want to try one anyway:
http://www.paintballgateway.com/trunmocehoon.html

not-so-cheap-asa, but you can never go wrong with a CP product:
http://www.paintballgateway.com/directmountasa.html
you could probably find one of these used for about $25 if you look around.

and some new hoses to make everything work:
http://www.paintballgateway.com/mahoki.html
its so much easier to work with than the stock steel braid. fyi if you get that cheaper asa i linked youll want the 90/straight kit because that asa has the hose run out the front, so it takes a straight fitting, and the 90* goes on the regulator.