Scjacob827 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Scjacob827 supports Team VICIOUS
Scjacob827 plays in the APPA D4 division
Scjacob827 supports Empire
3000gt or Rx8?

Hey,

Just wanting to see the possible pro's/con's of the two cars and what would you guys prefer to get.

Ive been looking at a 3000gt Vr4 Twin Turbo and just a stock 04' Mazda Rx8. The Vr4 models are All wheel drive from my understanding and was wondering do they all come stock TT because almost all the ones I have seen have had a TT so I would imagine the turbo's would be small correct? And from what I hear the Rx8's have a rotary engine which some people dont care for.

Any knowledge or insight on the two would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Scjacob827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 PM #2
Gazz
tempted owes me a harley

Gazz is a Supporting Member
neither
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 PM #3
DiscoRover

You'll hate your life if you buy either one.

You'll kill yourself if it is your only car.
DiscoRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:36 PM #4
Scjacob827
Prepare To Be Shocked

Annual Supporting Member
Scjacob827 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Best car for around 5k that is fun to drive but is reliable?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 PM #5
S1XNOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scjacob827 View Post
Miata.
S1XNOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 PM #6
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Lamborghini Gallardo.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 PM #7
Scjacob827
Prepare To Be Shocked

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Contract Killer View Post
Lamborghini Gallardo.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 PM #8
Dom Mazzetti

Good I wouldhate to see what a 5k rx8 looked like
Dom Mazzetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM #9
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Quote:
Hey,

Just wanting to see the possible pro's/con's of the two cars and what would you guys prefer to get.

Ive been looking at a 3000gt Vr4 Twin Turbo and just a stock 04' Mazda Rx8. The Vr4 models are All wheel drive from my understanding and was wondering do they all come stock TT because almost all the ones I have seen have had a TT so I would imagine the turbo's would be small correct? And from what I hear the Rx8's have a rotary engine which some people dont care for.

Any knowledge or insight on the two would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
All VR4s were twin turbo from the factory. They've got TD04 9B turbos, which are really really tiny. They aren't able to make much more than stock power. But turbo upgrades are cheap and plentiful. That said, the cars are very heavy and the drivetrain struggles to hold a lot of power. Transfer cases like to crack and transmission output shafts like to sheer their own teeth off. Making relatively good amounts of power is simple (one of the better tuners is making 520+awhp with stock intercoolers, cat-back, and most other stuff, and the only power mods are upgraded stock turbos, fuel, intake, and cat deletes). They don't handle too well, mostly because of the weight. They're also notoriously unreliable, and everyone in the community will tell you to buy a nonturbo daily driver and a VR4 that you're willing to put a bunch of money into and not drive very often if you really really feel the need to have a quick VR4.

RX8s handle alright but they make very little power. Most of them dyno like 150-160whp from the factory, I believe. They're also not terribly reliable.
Quote:
You asked about two very different cars. One is more designed to handle well, the other is designed to make power. It really depends on what you want.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 PM #10
Scjacob827
Prepare To Be Shocked

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Mazzetti View Post
Good I wouldhate to see what a 5k rx8 looked like
There are plenty of clean Rx8's around the price point I am at so I dont see the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
All VR4s were twin turbo from the factory. They've got TD04 9B turbos, which are really really tiny. They aren't able to make much more than stock power. But turbo upgrades are cheap and plentiful. That said, the cars are very heavy and the drivetrain struggles to hold a lot of power. Transfer cases like to crack and transmission output shafts like to sheer their own teeth off. Making relatively good amounts of power is simple (one of the better tuners is making 520+awhp with stock intercoolers, cat-back, and most other stuff, and the only power mods are upgraded stock turbos, fuel, intake, and cat deletes). They don't handle too well, mostly because of the weight. They're also notoriously unreliable, and everyone in the community will tell you to buy a nonturbo daily driver and a VR4 that you're willing to put a bunch of money into and not drive very often if you really really feel the need to have a quick VR4.

RX8s handle alright but they make very little power. Most of them dyno like 150-160whp from the factory, I believe. They're also not terribly reliable.

You asked about two very different cars. One is more designed to handle well, the other is designed to make power. It really depends on what you want.
Thank you for the input I think I am leaning towards the Rx8.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 PM #11
S1XNOM

There's a reason that RX8's aren't worth ****.
S1XNOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:07 PM #12
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

The problem with RX8s is that they like to lose compression because the apex seals wear down. That requires an engine rebuild. It's pretty common among rotary engines. The engines are simple but when they have issues they have relatively big issues.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM #13
Gazz
tempted owes me a harley

Gazz is a Supporting Member
but braap
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 PM #14
$h0cK3r
TEH SHOCKER

Honda accord.

GOOGLE FTW
$h0cK3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 PM #15
RBR321
I'll bring the pizzas.

RBR321 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RBR321 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RBR321 supports Team VICIOUS
RBR321 supports DLX Technology
Contact Roy "The Skipper" Hernandez, he'll point you in the right direction on sports cars.
"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
'MURICA
RBR321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM #16
Theoneandonly1
19D Cav Scout!

Annual Supporting Member
Theoneandonly1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Theoneandonly1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Theoneandonly1 supports Team VICIOUS
Theoneandonly1 supports Team VICIOUS
Theoneandonly1 supports Empire
Theoneandonly1 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Vr4 3kgt are crap, just like a 300zx. Damn things never run right, and are worth more as scrap than anything. Thats my personal opinion. I fo like the old galant vr4 though (good luck finding one). The rx8 is not much better. Like another user said. Its a fun car but theres no power in them. Like the style but hate the engine, due to the unreliability. In the end it is you choice. Personally i would grab a Eclipse gsx if you can find one cheap. Depending what you want theres tons of aftermarket support, and are relatively easy cars to work on. Not to mention the 4g63 makes lots of power quite easily and cheap. I just love dsms though. I would also try to steer you twards a wrx tho. great cars
Colorado NXS #11
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Planet Eclipse / Virtue Paintball / BLITZ Paintball /zephyrpaintball.com / Covert Ops Paintball / Raceteez.com

Theoneandonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 PM #17
1000hpWrx

Annual Supporting Member
1000hpWrx is BST Trusted
1000hpWrx owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
1000hpWrx has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Get a 5spd Lexus SC300 and down the road you car turbo it as it comes with a 2jz motor stock.
1000hpWrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:01 PM #18
gamefreak054
CCM T2 OWNER

gamefreak054 is playing at Living Legends V
gamefreak054 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamefreak054 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
gamefreak054 posts videos on PbNation
gamefreak054 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
gamefreak054 is attending Decay of Nations VI
gamefreak054 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
MR2 or Miata are supposed to be pretty reliable. If you can find a certain year of Celica (AWD with 3SGTE) you can get decent reliable power out of that is well. I would not get the 3000gt as they weigh a decent amount. A 80s or very early 90s supra would not be out of the question. The only major problem my dad had with his 87 supra turbo was the head gasket, but he is making decent power out of it which is part of the problem.

The 98 M3s have gone down a lot around here but they have a lot of miles on them though. I think they have their little quirks as well.
gamefreak054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 AM #19
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoneandonly1 View Post
Vr4 3kgt are crap, just like a 300zx. Damn things never run right, and are worth more as scrap than anything. Thats my personal opinion. I fo like the old galant vr4 though (good luck finding one). The rx8 is not much better. Like another user said. Its a fun car but theres no power in them. Like the style but hate the engine, due to the unreliability. In the end it is you choice. Personally i would grab a Eclipse gsx if you can find one cheap. Depending what you want theres tons of aftermarket support, and are relatively easy cars to work on. Not to mention the 4g63 makes lots of power quite easily and cheap. I just love dsms though. I would also try to steer you twards a wrx tho. great cars
GSX is going to be unreliable and old cars always need a lot of things replaced.

WRX for $5k is going to be high miles, beat, or both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hpWrx View Post
Get a 5spd Lexus SC300 and down the road you car turbo it as it comes with a 2jz motor stock.
The N/A motors don't hold nearly as much power as the motors that were turbo from the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
MR2 or Miata are supposed to be pretty reliable. If you can find a certain year of Celica (AWD with 3SGTE) you can get decent reliable power out of that is well. I would not get the 3000gt as they weigh a decent amount. A 80s or very early 90s supra would not be out of the question. The only major problem my dad had with his 87 supra turbo was the head gasket, but he is making decent power out of it which is part of the problem.

The 98 M3s have gone down a lot around here but they have a lot of miles on them though. I think they have their little quirks as well.
He's not going to find a turbo Celica in his price range, same goes for an e46 M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
The only major problem my dad had with his 87 supra turbo was the head gasket, but he is making decent power out of it which is part of the problem.
The vast majority of 7M-GTE Supras have head gasket problems around 70k, even at stock power.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 AM #20
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Just buy a Prius.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 PM #21
gamefreak054
CCM T2 OWNER

gamefreak054 is playing at Living Legends V
gamefreak054 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamefreak054 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
gamefreak054 posts videos on PbNation
gamefreak054 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
gamefreak054 is attending Decay of Nations VI
gamefreak054 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
GSX is going to be unreliable and old cars always need a lot of things replaced.

WRX for $5k is going to be high miles, beat, or both.

The N/A motors don't hold nearly as much power as the motors that were turbo from the factory.

He's not going to find a turbo Celica in his price range, same goes for an e46 M3.

The vast majority of 7M-GTE Supras have head gasket problems around 70k, even at stock power.
I never said e46 I said 98 which is the e36. I have seen multiple of them around here go for around $5k. I do not know much about celicas I was just throwing it out there if he did find one.

Also its true about the supras, but if you know what your doing its not too bad. My dad replaced it and his put a decent amount of mileage without any troubles. It also was not the stock one he replaced. The company put some cleaner on the head gasket when they replaced it and it ate it up.
gamefreak054 is offline   Reply With Quote