PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM #64
Swerve22

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
That clearly was not what this discussion was about... If you don't understand the conversation, why keep arguing? Are you trying to just make an *** out of yourself? Why not ask for clarification if you don't understand something before you go on a rant? Because you completely missed the boat.
You lamented politics becoming a "game", I pointed out that it has been such for a long time. No point to keep pushing the matter if you're not understanding the various meanings of the word "game".

To Martian Church - His original statement is fairly irrelevant, since I made the claim which was disputed (politics has been a "game" throughout history). I stand by the statement. Governing has been about manipulation, showmanship, etc. since there have been people governing other people.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM #65
Iamamartianchurch

Occurrence =/= requirement

If his original statement is irrelevant, you shouldn't have responded to it. Strawmanning him doesn't make you look good or honest.

If you want to see manipulation of the populace, read about the French Revolutionaries.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM #66
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Fish View Post
Voter ID IS VOTER SUPPRESSION.
This is completely absurd! Confirming the ID of a voter is not voter suppression. That's like saying that requiring a driver's license is driver suppression. Or requiring ID with your credit card is credit suppression.

Ensuring that a person is an eligible voter is never a bad thing.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM #67
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Occurrence =/= requirement

If his original statement is irrelevant, you shouldn't have responded to it. Strawmanning him doesn't make you look good or honest.

If you want to see manipulation of the populace, read about the French Revolutionaries.
How did I strawman him in any way shape or form? I pointed out that what he was lamenting is actually a fairly common occurrence.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM #68
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
How did I strawman him in any way shape or form? I pointed out that what he was lamenting is actually a fairly common occurrence.
You argued against him using your own definition/interpretation of "a ****ing game"

I can call everything in life a game but I would be distracting from the point and sentiment TSA tried to get across that you so blatantly manipulated.

Oh and "common occurance" does not mean absolute. Unless you wish to retract the use of the word "every"

Going with the original sentiment:
The ascendency to power in a monarchy is hereditary, no showmanship or manipulation is required.

Enacting policy in a monarchy does not require manipulation or showmanship as there is no favor to be won as a means of passing said policy.

There now we can put that to bed. If you want to talk about the need to maintain public favor in the context you are dealing with, have at it.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 08-15-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 PM #69
EricS6661

Ohio Republicans are allowing early voting in Republican districts, striking it down in Democratic districts

Quote:
If you live in Butler or Warren counties in the Republican-leaning suburbs of Cincinnati, you can vote for president beginning in October by going to a polling place in the evening or on weekends. Republican officials in those counties want to make it convenient for their residents to vote early and avoid long lines on Election Day.

But, if you live in Cincinnati, you’re out of luck. Republicans on the county election board are planning to end early voting in the city promptly at 5 p.m., and ban it completely on weekends, according to The Cincinnati Enquirer. The convenience, in other words, will not be extended to the city’s working people.

The sleazy politics behind the disparity is obvious. Hamilton County, which contains Cincinnati, is largely Democratic and voted solidly for Barack Obama in 2008. So did the other urban areas of Cleveland, Columbus and Akron, where Republicans, with the assistance of the Ohio secretary of state, Jon Husted, have already eliminated the extended hours for early voting.

County election boards in Ohio, a closely contested swing state, are evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans. In counties likely to vote for President Obama, Republicans have voted against the extended hours, and Mr. Husted has broken the tie in their favor. (He said the counties couldn’t afford the long hours.) In counties likely to vote for Mitt Romney, Republicans have not objected to the extended hours.

This is just the latest alarming example of how Republicans across the country are trying to manipulate the electoral system by blocking the voting rights of their opponents. These actions have a disproportionate effect on blacks, Hispanics and other ethnic minorities who struggled for so long to participate in American democracy.

Cincinnati, for example, is 45 percent black, and Cleveland 53 percent. Butler County, however, is 8 percent black, and Warren 3.5 percent. This kind of racial disparity is clearly visible wherever Republicans have trampled on voting rights during Mr. Obama’s term.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/op...o.html?_r=2&hp