Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 AM #1
Tempted (Banned)

25 Hours of polishing.

I went through a ton of felt polishing pads, about half a bottle of polish and spent 25 hours on it. I think it looks great. I'm making a set of solid aluminum grips(two piece) for it that will also be polished. The inside, outside, barrel, all pneumatics and all rods/linkages were each separated, cleaned, buffed and polished. This is the first time I have ever opened a Cocker to work on. I've always been pretty intimidated by them. It wasn't that bad. I just finished about an hour ago, it is not timed. Please pretend that you don't see the drop forward or CO2 tank. I don't have a straight macro fitting to use the original ASA(which I also polished). I did not polish the drop forward or aftermarket ASA because I'm not using them and didn't want to waste the time on them. The CO2 tank is pretty much empty in the video, when I hooked up a fresh one it had no drop off and cycled as fast as I could pull the trigger. It will be ran on HPA. Honestly I'm in love with how this thing looks. Yeah, its all stock and there is nothing special, I just really like it. Its highly unlikely that I'll be selling or trading it now.

Now its time to time. This video was taken with my I-Kam sunglasses so it isn't great and you can't really see the marker well. It shines much more in person. I doubt I'll buy any other Cockers to keep, but I'll probably keep this for as long as I'm in the sport. Can't wait to play with it this weekend.

Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 AM #2
Intern1

Annual Supporting Member
Intern1 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Intern1 supports Empire
Now I regret selling my 04 prostock....
Intern1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 AM #3
Tempted (Banned)

Yeah I have a feeling that if I do trade this I'll regret it.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM #4
MikeM

MikeM is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Nice job!

BTW, I think someone may have already mentioned, but you can replace the 12-pt ASA scerw with a barrel head screw. These were easy to find at my local ACE hardware. The barrel head has the same profile as the 12pt head and allows you to install/remove the ASA with an allen wrench. I've replaced all of mine.

From what I've heard, the reason WGP originaly used the 12-pt rather than something like the barrel head goes back to the early cocker models that ran directly off CO2 with no inline reg. The 12-pt would open the valve on the bottle.
Not sure if thats true or not, but it's a good story.

Last edited by MikeM : 08-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM #5
Tempted (Banned)

Is $200 trade value outrageous for this gun? Just curious. My guess is actual cash value would be somewhere between $120 and $150. I might be wrong, it might be a $90 gun.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 PM #6
basementN3k0
THAT COCKER/PUMP GUY...

basementN3k0 supports Pev's Paintball
basementN3k0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
basementN3k0 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
Is $200 trade value outrageous for this gun? Just curious. My guess is actual cash value would be somewhere between $120 and $150. I might be wrong, it might be a $90 gun.
time/labor=money.
Feedback~ PBN +97/0/0|Ebay +67/0/0
DP G3 SE|Bob Long G6R|CCM S5|2K4 Cocker|WGP Ranger|SFT/NXT Shocker|Gearbag Sale|My markers|Remz F/S
basementN3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 PM #7
MikeM

Quote:
Even $150 is high. About 100...120 on a good day. Keep it and enjoy it!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM #8
PumpStalker

PumpStalker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PumpStalker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
It's worth $125 at the lowest. Especially if it's cleaned up nicely and in good aesthetic/working condition.

Play Pump. ಠ_ಠ

"Originally posted by wowzerz: Point is, no matter who wins the argument, it doesn't really matter."
PumpStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 PM #9
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
cptnemo66 is playing at Living Legends VII
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 is attending Decay of Nations VI
cptnemo66 supports Empire
Wow looks nice. Get some good pics. Make a better video. Should get $150 on the bay. Maybe even more. People do like to bid shiney on things.
cptnemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 AM #10
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

nice job, enjoy the eternal fight against fingerprints .

also it sounds like the hammer lug needs to be raised a little, that way it drops the sear earlier and theres more time for the hammer to hit the valve before the re-cocking starts.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 AM #11
Tempted (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
nice job, enjoy the eternal fight against fingerprints .

also it sounds like the hammer lug needs to be raised a little, that way it drops the sear earlier and theres more time for the hammer to hit the valve before the re-cocking starts.
I think I need to buy some microfiber gloves to freakin touch it. If I breathe on it the thing gets dirty.

Yeah it wasn't timed when I video'd it. That video was the first time it was aired up after I re-assembled everything.

For $100 I think I'll just keep it. Heck I normally charge $20 an hour plus material for metal working. I haven't seen a *new* 04 Pro Stock polished so I can't say I know how they looked but from what I can tell, the finish on this one is better than new. It needed the polishing, though, and I always liked putting life back into things that were once mechanical marvels, then tossed in a closet to rot.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 AM #12
Tempted (Banned)

Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM #13
Tempted (Banned)

I've almost got it timed. This is the first time I've ever tried to time a Cocker.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 PM #14
MikeM

Quote:
I've almost got it timed. This is the first time I've ever tried to time a Cocker.
Here's what I like to do:

First, set the back block (screw it further on/off the pump arm). It should be as close to the body as possible without touching it.

Next, set the cocking rod. Pull back the back block untill the sear engages. Look down the feed tube. You should see a sliver of the front of the bolt (about 1/8"). If you see too much bolt, lengthen the rod. Too little, make the rod shorter. To change the 'length' of the cocking rod loosen the set screw that holds the end knob in place. Adjust the knob and re-tighten the set screw.

Then comes the 'timing'. To conserve air, make sure the hammer is not engaged and remove the cocking rod. Now, when you air up the marker you will have pressure to test the 3-way, adjust the actuation point and make sure there are no leaks. Depending on whether your frame has a front stop or rear stop, adjust the actuation point toward the unadjustable part of your pull. Then later, you can remove the excess pull by adjusting your trigger stop.

After you get the 3-way squared away you will need to replace the cocking rod and adjust your lug so the hammer releases just ahead of your actuation point. To test; pull the trigger very slowly. You should be able to release the hammer with the back block still fully forward. Any additional pull should actuate the 3-way (moving the block back).

If you can't release the hammer with the block forward, you need to either raise the lug or adjust the 3-way to actuate further back. BTW, I like to time my mechs very close. I have to be able to pass the release test, but it can't be overly easy to do.

Last edited by MikeM : 08-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 AM #15
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Why not clear duracoat the gun?

It won't rust and it should look exactly the same, but with the metal wholly protected.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:18 AM #16
Tempted (Banned)

If I do anything it will be chroming the entire marker. It isn't that I like the way it shoots or anything I just love the way it looks. I'm playing with it tomorrow but if I put it on a stand and never touched it again I wouldn't mind, just an aesthetically pleasing piece. I am going to have to strip and re-chrome the frame. On the passenger side there are two small spots of bubbling. Also, I mentioned polished aluminum grips, but I changed my mind on that. I'm doing a set of clear glass grips made from bottles of 750ml Gentleman Jack bottles. On the bottle there is an embossed Jack Daniel's logo that I want to have on the grips.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 AM #17
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
those grips sound like they would be the coolest!! such a good idea.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 AM #18
Tempted (Banned)

Yeah as long as you have about 40 hours and a CNC mill to cut them with. I'm doing .2mm passes right now to prevent it from cracking. Once they are cut and the edges rounded they will be strong enough to play, but cutting them is a real pain. The file is easy enough to write, its only 2D and minimal direction changes but you have to use the right bits at a snails pace to keep it from coming apart in shards.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:38 AM #19
u238

u238 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
u238 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
u238 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Yeah as long as you have about 40 hours and a CNC mill to cut them with. I'm doing .2mm passes right now to prevent it from cracking. Once they are cut and the edges rounded they will be strong enough to play, but cutting them is a real pain. The file is easy enough to write, its only 2D and minimal direction changes but you have to use the right bits at a snails pace to keep it from coming apart in shards.
Fascinating. It sounds awfully tricky to mill glass.
u238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM #20
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
cptnemo66 is playing at Living Legends VII
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 is attending Decay of Nations VI
cptnemo66 supports Empire
Quote:
Im a QE but work for an aerospace machine shop. We have all the best machines money can buy. I have access to a Omax 5 axis water jet. Think that might be an easier way to cut glass? The owners of the shop are big gun whores and would love this idea. They would prolly would give me access to the programer and machine time after hours.
cptnemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:13 PM #21
Tempted (Banned)

It would be a better way to cut them, I don't have a water jet though. With a water jet you would need no lube and the cuts would be cleaner. I got two shards on one grip but they aren't bad and aren't noticeable.