Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 AM #1
espin679

espin679 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
espin679 posts videos on PbNation
espin679 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
espin679 is attending Decay of Nations VI
$400 gun v $1200 gun rec ball, the ultimate question!

I always wanted to ask this question because I dont know how most different guns work. I just picked up a DP g3 spec r (mrsp 350-400 new). It should be here within the week and I'm extremely excited about getting it. Its going to be the first electric gun I've ever shot and I scooped it up for 150 . I was also looking at ego's and eteks for 400-800 used (up to 1200 retail ). WTF is the difference between these guns. what justify's the huge gap in price other then WoW factor? or is that it? a extra 5 bps and a super sexy gun? and can I get my DP g3 up to par with a ego?

kinda like owning a lambo, you get that wow factor and power, (im leaving handling out. I feel the agility of a gun is the actual player, like a suspension is to a car). but for 30k less i can make a modified mustang stomp out a lambo.

please shed some light :/

(i will revise this later today after i get some sleep lol )
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 AM #2
espin679

i think to sum it up i own a 2012 accord, and i now own a g3 S-R, I would love to own a ego + lambo but its unnecessary. like a bada$$ luxury. (PS: I plan on buying a ego within a few months because they look so badass )
Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 AM #3
Dark Side
You will know the power

Annual Supporting Member
Dark Side is BST Trusted
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VI
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quality of manufacture process, quality of parts involved, paying for the name. Numerous factors go into the "why" something is priced the way it is. Take a look at resell value. If you bought a car brand new for 15K and drove it off the lot only for it to be worth 3K, I'd say you didn't buy a car worth having, especially one that will treat you well with little maintenance. Same goes for markers.
Just because it costs more doesn't mean it's better. Generally it's a clue but it's not set in stone. Play with the G3. Learn it and revise your game with it. Become a better player, and then move on if you feel the need. Don't buy something out right thinking the gun is what is holding you back.

07/08 Ego Vici Board
Dust Black ShockTech AutoCocker snatch grip
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM #4
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Differences-

Quality of materials
Enhanced performance
More/Advanced features

It isn't necessary to have the top of the line guns but there is a reason they cost more then the lower end markers. It's more than just speed and looks. Compare a Mercedes Benz to a Honda Accord. Both will get you the same place at the same time (if driving the speed limit). But the Mercedes is going to offer more towards it being a better ride. It's going to offer you more interior features. Again none necessary but still nice to have.

Let's look back at paintball again. Etek4 LT $500 brand new. Ego11 $1250 brand new (well less now due to price drop by that's besides the point). The Etek4 will get the job done fine but the Ego11 is a higher quality marker. It's comes with a LCD programmable board the the Etek doesn't. An aluminum grip frame that the Etek4 LT doesn't. It has an adjustable solenoid that the Etek doesn't and can't. It comes with the most updated bolt and POPs asa that the Etek4 doesn't. Another internal part that I just can't think of the name of at this time. Now most of these things you could buy and swap into the Etek4, except the solenoid and one other internal part, but the cost to do so would almost be the price of the higher end version.

And this same thing goes for other markers in comparison to their lower end versions.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Last edited by Soul06 : 08-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Soul06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM #5
Cooper13
I will BuNkEr you

Cooper13 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Cooper13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
these guys hit it right on the head...if your only playing rec ball and are wanting a really nice gun...empire axe...can find a really nice one for 2-300 used...i love axes...solid shooting..efficient and i just like their feel..my tourney gun is an 09 geo... to each his own man...do what fits ur play style and wallet...hope this helps

www.facebook.com/717agility
Cooper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 PM #6
espin679

i dont plan on getting rid of the g3 for quite some time, but I was just curious on the ~800 price difference. But yea, you guys nailed it on the head thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM #7
MiniMaster423
Proud Luxe 2.0 Owner

Annual Supporting Member
MiniMaster423 plays in the PSP
MiniMaster423 plays in the APPA D5 division
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
MiniMaster423 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
yea what they said but, no a mustang will not ever stomp a lambo regardless of what you put into it.
MiniMaster423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 PM #8
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
It comes with the most updated bolt and POPs asa that the Etek4 doesn't and can't.
Um... do you know something Planet Eclipse doesn't know???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE's website
As with all Eclipse markers since 2007 the Etek4 utilizes the T-Slot Rail. The Etek4 will also accept a POPS ASA.

The Etek4 will accept Cure3+ and Cure4 upgrade bolts.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM #9
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso

Um... do you know something Planet Eclipse doesn't know???
Typo. When I edited it I meant to add that part after the adjustable solenoid, which should be kinda evident as per one of the final sentences of that paragraph. But going to edit it now.

On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Last edited by Soul06 : 08-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 PM #10
I need a username
Shark Bait - Rawrrz

I need a username supports Team VICIOUS
I need a username has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I need a username has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I need a username has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I need a username supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by espin679 View Post
i think to sum it up i own a 2012 accord, and i now own a g3 S-R, I would love to own a ego + lambo but its unnecessary. like a bada$$ luxury. (PS: I plan on buying a ego within a few months because they look so badass )
Pbnation rules state you are not allowed to try to bi-pass the swear filter. Edit that out of your post.
Quitting Sale please take a look!
51st Orca Street Hustlers
I need a username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 PM #11
TheHef

To be honest you are better off buying the cheaper gun which will shoot paintballs at the same velocity and rate of fire. You can use the money you save to play more often, and get better. Paintball players all want to have the latest and greatest but the differences in the guns are extremely minimal.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post80475666
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM #12
iAdrenaline
Next Big Thing

iAdrenaline is playing at Living Legends VI
iAdrenaline owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
iAdrenaline has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
wow factor and reliability, you'll understand reliability problems once u get a gun for less than $600 msrp
iAdrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 PM #13
Albinopitbul

Albinopitbul owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Albinopitbul owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Albinopitbul plays in the APPA D4 division
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMaster423 View Post
yea what they said but, no a mustang will not ever stomp a lambo regardless of what you put into it.
You think so if you believe that statement is true stick to paintball because u dont kno much about cars.
Albinopitbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:50 PM #14
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by espin679 View Post
kinda like owning a lambo, you get that wow factor and power... but for 30k less i can make a modified mustang stomp out a lambo.
Lol, no. Perhaps on a straightaway, but you could never take a Lamborghini in the corners. Same concept with a paintball gun.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 AM #15
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHef
To be honest you are better off buying the cheaper gun which will shoot paintballs at the same velocity and rate of fire. You can use the money you save to play more often, and get better. Paintball players all want to have the latest and greatest but the differences in the guns are extremely minimal.
Wouldn't say extremely minimal. That's kind of a big understatement. Compare a Tippmann X7 or Crossover (both at $400) to a BL Victory V2. Both inline poppets. Would you really say the differences between the two are "extremely minimal"?

Or a Azodin Zenith compared to a 2011 G6R? A DP G4 compared to a Clone GT?

Last edited by Soul06 : 08-14-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM #16
Get bunkered (Banned)
PB is a way of life

Get bunkered is playing at Living Legends V
Get bunkered supports Team VICIOUS
Get bunkered has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Get bunkered is attending Decay of Nations VI
In a simple answer no your DP will never compete will any planet eclipse gun the ego is 5000000x better the milling , stacked tube design , led screen, shaft barrel, and the internals are so much better I always hear about people complaining about there dps noids breaking
Get bunkered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM #17
syko89

i just recently got back into paint ball and only plan on doing rec ball i had a idea of what i wanted to spend and right away started looking at what electros i could get for the price i was looking for but since only doing rec ball i didn't car about turnament rule and tried my friend tac 1 and found a used one a week later. with a shp reg the mags can out shoot alot of electro so just saying if you only doing rec ball whay only look in one area.
syko89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM #18
dangerouspower76

Everything is relative. If your only going to play once a month or occasionaly i would not buy a high end. Especially with how far mid level gear has come over the past few years. Also for rec players the used market should be more of a focus. Why buy a 1300 gun if your only going to use it once a month for a year ( roughly 12 cases), barely breaking it in and then have to sell it for a lot less. Instead look for a competitive players used equipment. Then you can save half the money (money you wouldnt get out of a new marker based on how much you would use it) and have a gun thats actually broken in and shooting great. If your someone that only buys new then go mid level. The advantages of the next step up like efficiency, being able to say shoot another 100-200 psi deeper into the tank before drop off, consisency at high rates of fire, and so on wont be as rewarding in recball compared to the price difference
dangerouspower76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM #19
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerouspower76
Everything is relative. If your only going to play once a month or occasionaly i would not buy a high end. Especially with how far mid level gear has come over the past few years. Also for rec players the used market should be more of a focus. Why buy a 1300 gun if your only going to use it once a month for a year ( roughly 12 cases), barely breaking it in and then have to sell it for a lot less. Instead look for a competitive players used equipment. Then you can save half the money (money you wouldnt get out of a new marker based on how much you would use it) and have a gun thats actually broken in and shooting great. If your someone that only buys new then go mid level. The advantages of the next step up like efficiency, being able to say shoot another 100-200 psi deeper into the tank before drop off, consisency at high rates of fire, and so on wont be as rewarding in recball compared to the price difference
Agree with you save for the parts about buying new vs used.
1- everyone selling used gear isn't honest. And not to say that they will rip you off but many will talk their markers up to being in better condition then it really is. And for someone still new to the game, buying used, they do run a good chance of getting a marker that isn't working properly.
2- there is nothing that says you have to sell old gear/guns ever. People have become so use to gun whoring that everyone seems to assume that you have to sell your gun for a new one every year.
3- I would never just straight out suggest someone spend $1000+ for a marker unless they previously expressed they were considering doing so already. That's a lot of money to drop. I know. I've done it numerous times. But if it's within a persons budget and it's what they want I see no reason to discourage them from doing so.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM #20
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Or a Azodin Zenith compared to a 2011 G6R? A DP G4 compared to a Clone GT?
Actually, I'd rather have the cheaper version hands down in those two examples. No question, money not an issue.

Mostly because I DON'T buy guns with proprietary ASA's. Absolutely worthless to me.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 PM #21
paintball swaggin

paintball swaggin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
paintball swaggin has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintball swaggin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinopitbul View Post
You think so if you believe that statement is true stick to paintball because u dont kno much about cars.
^this
paintball swaggin is offline   Reply With Quote