Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM #1
DrZach21

Will adding a scope and a 20-inch barrel to a paintball gun turn it into a sniper?

If I add the following add-ons to a paintball gun:

- Sniper scope (this is the one I would probably purchase: http://www.choicepaintballguns.com/product/SFR3940R)
- 20-inch sniper barrel (which one would you recommend?)

would it become a sniper? If yes, what gun would you recommend me to add on to? If no, what pre-built sniper would you recommend? Lastly, a low-price is my highest priority. Thanks in advance.
DrZach21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 PM #2
Ringwraith

Answer is no...it will just become an unwieldy gas hog marker with a long barrel for looks. Unlike a "rifle" a longer barrel does NOT equal better accuracy nor greater range.
Black FEP Quest - with all ups! Red/Black DP Threshold, Black & Red DP threshold both L7 bolts one with APE and one 7th element boards, Original Diablo Matrix - yes pre-DM3 and black,Pump, Black acid Phantom VSC,Slate Phantom VSC, CCM S6 1 of 4 Camo. red Black fade Freelow Lotus pump, Camo SM-1 Pump, Red/Black AIM Cocker, Grey Fade Dye Ultralight Cocker, Grey CMM J2 Cocker, Black Chrome Spanky Cobra Cocker, Red/Black DP F-7, Red/Back ANS GX-5 pump and matching mechanical cockers, Ego 9 1/12 limited edition Tribal Flame, Automag RT w. Z grip and now Red/Grey/Black Zodiac Zr-1
Ringwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM #3
junits15

Sniping isn't a thing in paintball. Get to the front and get in the action, that's where the fun happens. Paintballs are spheres, so they never hit the same spot twice.
Barrels have little to no effect on accuracy at all, accuracy comes from good, high quality paint. Never skimp on paint, always buy the best. In fact once you go past 14" in barrel length you loose range rather than gain it. Even with good paint though the accuracy is terrible at best.
The only exception is with crappy barrels, as long as you barrel bore doesn't double as sandpaper it's going to have no effect on flight, the vast majority of barrels are honed well enough that there is no difference.

Also make sure your gun is consistent and has a regulator, if the shorts are flying at around the same velocity sir trajectory will be more predictable than of they are flying +\- 20 fps.

Buy the gog enemy if you're looking to go cheap. $120 doesn't require an electronic hopper and can operate off co2. Comes with a great reg and a clamping feedneck.
If you want an electro it gets more complicated, so you'd have to tell me what you're looking for in a gun before I recommend anything.

Forgot to mention, first strike rounds, they will work with a scope, but they require special markers than can shoot them and they are MUCH more expensive.
*freak bored Evil Pipe kit with DW Whip Tip
*super duper UBER upp'd PM7
*reverse red VForce Grillz

I bought an Ion...in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy
junits15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:04 PM #4
DrZach21

Quote:
Sniping isn't a thing in paintball.
Then are these videos fake?

And what about the so-called snipers sold at RAP4?
DrZach21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 PM #5
Ringwraith

Snipers are just a category of milsim paintball marker designed to LOOK like a sniper rifle....any marker that you shoot one shot at a time can be a "sniper." The video's you linked are mostly "first strike" round markers which a very expensive fin stabilized paintball round that in most markers can only be shot one at a time, hence the sniper moniker. Unfortunately, many fields wont let you use first strike rounds due to insurance reasons and biodegradability "green" reasons. If thats what you want to use, your first decision is to focus on guns that can shoot first strike rounds, the best of which is the DYE DAM, IMHO.
Black FEP Quest - with all ups! Red/Black DP Threshold, Black & Red DP threshold both L7 bolts one with APE and one 7th element boards, Original Diablo Matrix - yes pre-DM3 and black,Pump, Black acid Phantom VSC,Slate Phantom VSC, CCM S6 1 of 4 Camo. red Black fade Freelow Lotus pump, Camo SM-1 Pump, Red/Black AIM Cocker, Grey Fade Dye Ultralight Cocker, Grey CMM J2 Cocker, Black Chrome Spanky Cobra Cocker, Red/Black DP F-7, Red/Back ANS GX-5 pump and matching mechanical cockers, Ego 9 1/12 limited edition Tribal Flame, Automag RT w. Z grip and now Red/Grey/Black Zodiac Zr-1

Last edited by Ringwraith : 05-21-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Ringwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 AM #6
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZach21 View Post
Then are these videos fake?

And what about the so-called snipers sold at RAP4?
First I would recommend joining a Forum more tailored to milsim like the X7OG.net as it has a lot of great information on various setups. To answer your question, Ringwraith is correct. You would want a marker that is setup to fire first strike rounds and a riffled barrel like the Lapco First Strike barrel or a Hammerhead. The Dye DAM is an excellent marker and is setup to use first strike rounds through its mags.
INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers

Trade/Sale Threads:
None Currently
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM #7
Flatliner68

Big Papa Pink is on the money. If the DAM is not in your price range (it's more than $1K even used) a Hammer 7 is on the other end of the scale. Keep in mind though, even though you have the best equipment money can buy, it takes practice, and money, and more practice to adopt that style of play successfully.

Tiberius T8.1, RAP4 Gen7 T68, Hammer7 with Lapco Rifled barrel, Heavily modded Tippmann A5 with a working "Rain Cover", WGP AutoCocker, etc, etc, etc...
Flatliner68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:10 PM #8
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
First Strikes are pretty expensive ($.40 a pop). But the cheapest First Strike Ready marker is the Trracer ($60 used) or a Hammer ($100 used). $125 new for both. They're pumps, Hammer is mag-fed, Trracer has to be breach fed, but I still like the Trracer better. Those are really fun to use.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 AM #9
belzarrath

has been a member for 10 years
Even if first strike round do fire further and more accurate, paintballs first strike rounds are effected by environment elements considerably more. Sense snippets are mainly playing woods ball one must consider branches, leaves, tall brush and wind. All these will change or stop your paint path. Snipping such as shorting outside the range of others and undetected does not happen. I've played for over 13 years and went through all the phases.
Play have fun, but snipping, gHillie outfits don't work for their value.
belzarrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 PM #10
l8ersk8er94

l8ersk8er94 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
l8ersk8er94 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
l8ersk8er94 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
No it will not.
l8ersk8er94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 AM #11
Crimmins

Also. Try looking down a scope with a paintball mask on before investing in one. It's not all that effective. I've found it keeps your eye a bit too far away. Especially since you don't want to rest the scope directly on your mask lens and risk scratching it.
Crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM #12
AP58
Archie

AP58 is playing at Living Legends VI
AP58 is playing at Living Legends VII
AP58 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AP58 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AP58 supports Empire
There's no point. Paintballs are always going to be inaccurate from long range.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:46 PM #13
AP58
Archie

AP58 is playing at Living Legends VI
AP58 is playing at Living Legends VII
AP58 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AP58 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AP58 supports Empire
First strike rounds help with the accuracy a bit
Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM #14
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
sniping

Quote:
Originally Posted by belzarrath View Post
Even if first strike round do fire further and more accurate, paintballs first strike rounds are effected by environment elements considerably more. Sense snippets are mainly playing woods ball one must consider branches, leaves, tall brush and wind. All these will change or stop your paint path. Snipping such as shorting outside the range of others and undetected does not happen. I've played for over 13 years and went through all the phases.
Play have fun, but snipping, gHillie outfits don't work for their value.
Exactly. You're too close to remain undetected for long. Sniping isn't really a very valid paintball strategy. It can be fun but once you start shooting it's all over and they'll come for you lol. At that point, you'll need firepower, not a sniping gun.

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 PM #15
Nobody609

Nobody609 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
yes, add a scope, and the 20" barrel and don't forget the spork. i love paintball snipers, and i love to see them on the field. have a good day....
Nobody609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 PM #16
MstrKey

snipage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody609 View Post
yes, add a scope, and the 20" barrel and don't forget the spork. i love paintball snipers, and i love to see them on the field. have a good day....
Me too because I know they aren't contributing with any kind of team work at all. Which makes my job easier lol.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM #17
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
Me too because I know they aren't contributing with any kind of team work at all. Which makes my job easier lol.
That's not wholly true.

Depends on the game. Speedball...snipers are a joke. Recreational, no better than in speedball. Big game...I see these as more of a "lets see how many people I can shoot out" kind of game and "teamwork" is of lower priority. Go for it in that case. Scenario, think more "reccon". When I play scenario (which is almost all I play) I run with a 5 watt radio and my DAM loaded with First Strikes in the mags and usually a hopper full of whatever paint I have to shoot at the event. I have a scope on a tiltable riser and a reflex sight mounted off to one site on a 45 degree rail.

With this setup I stay in contact with my team and my CP. I can move into areas where we have a mission and radio back updates as to how the other team is advancing on the mission area, how the mission is going, and sow a bit of confusion if needed. If I need firepower, a switch over to my hopper and I'm good to go. Mostly though, I can remain undetected even shooting first strikes if the two sides are in a heavy firefight.

But playing this role isn't about the marker you carry, it's about how you play what you play.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:01 PM #18
MstrKey

snipage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
That's not wholly true.

Depends on the game. Speedball...snipers are a joke. Recreational, no better than in speedball. Big game...I see these as more of a "lets see how many people I can shoot out" kind of game and "teamwork" is of lower priority. Go for it in that case. Scenario, think more "reccon". When I play scenario (which is almost all I play) I run with a 5 watt radio and my DAM loaded with First Strikes in the mags and usually a hopper full of whatever paint I have to shoot at the event. I have a scope on a tiltable riser and a reflex sight mounted off to one site on a 45 degree rail.

With this setup I stay in contact with my team and my CP. I can move into areas where we have a mission and radio back updates as to how the other team is advancing on the mission area, how the mission is going, and sow a bit of confusion if needed. If I need firepower, a switch over to my hopper and I'm good to go. Mostly though, I can remain undetected even shooting first strikes if the two sides are in a heavy firefight.

But playing this role isn't about the marker you carry, it's about how you play what you play.

This can all be done by a none sniper who gets into the battles directly as well. I'm not saying it isn't fun and it does add an element to the game but when twenty other guys on the team are doing the same thing, you end up down on bodies during any battles. That's not a good thing.

Trying to see how many guys you can shoot before being taken out means, you have to base your actions on what's best for you, not the team. I'm not knocking it, I'm just saying I love playing teams with a lot of snipers because I know they're going to get rocked unless they get into the fight directly.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 PM #19
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
This can all be done by a none sniper who gets into the battles directly as well.
Or can it? Define a "non-sniper". Remember, I said In Scenario, think more "reccon". If you don't have a scope on your marker, you're going to be limited in what you can observe and report. If you don't have a high powered radio, you won't be able to report through obstructing terrain that will limit the use of your standard 1-2 watt radios. If you can't shoot First Strikes, you can't take advantage of the target opportunities you become presented with when you are behind the opponent in a conceled position because you will have to fire too much to get a hit.

Now, that isn't to say you can't be BOTH, which is why I play with a DAM.

I've "got into the fight" by eliminating 3-4 players from behind without my team having to take one hit in the process. Once that position broke, I then was able to turn around and advance on players who thought "the fight" was 50-100 yards away from their position, eliminated some of them, and bought my team time to advance to my position. Now, am I a "Sniper" because I manuvered into their rear and took out players with accurate First Strike shots or am I a "non-sniper" for pinning down their guys in the rear with a high volume of fire using regular paint from a hopper while my team advanced on me?

I wouldn't get too fixated on labels in paintball. They just don't exist to the same black and white rules as they do in regular military terms. Like I said, it's more about how you play what you play.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote