Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-09-2012, 03:21 PM #1
wizard8873

Back after a 3 year break

Hey guys, getting back into paintball after a few years break. buddy of mine invited me out this Sunday for a game at CPX with all the gear in the rental price. After looking over pictures and remembering past games, I went online and found myself with a Proto Rail, i3 mask, Redz pack and pods, 68/45 tank, Halo V35 hopper, and J&J Edge Elite barrel kit. Still had my oooooold JT jersey and Dye C4 pants.

So stoked about getting back in and costs seemed to have dropped some since then. Started out playing with a Spyder TL around 01-02 iirc and got an E-99 later. House got flooded badly back about 6 or 7 years ago and was using friend's DM5-DM8 markers. Loved the look, feel, consistency, and light weight of them and remembered that Proto was the cheaper brand.
wizard8873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2012, 03:27 PM #2
Endo Dizzy
Semper Fidelis

Endo Dizzy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Congrats on returning- i too have a rail and mine is a bit finicky in terms of maintenance. Just be sure to take the time to clean it properly/ good and youll be fine. Out of a 68/45 with my freak barrel i average a hopper and like 7 pods before refilling- not bad for a "low end" spoolie.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM #3
wizard8873

thanks. always had a fun time. yeah, read 50/50 on the Rail but like it enough to get it. i'll just have to hope it holds up
Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM #4
Icon0clast
Powered by Sammiches

Annual Supporting Member
Icon0clast plays in the MiLP
Icon0clast owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Icon0clast plays in the APPA D4 division
Welcome back.

I came back after a 7 year "break" a few weeks ago, playing again Sunday, I picked up the Reflex Rail and I could not be happier. Guns really have gotten cheaper now days.
Icon0clast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM #5
wizard8873

Yeah, I was shocked. I remember dreaming of owning an Angel or Autococker when I first started and seeing their prices back then made my head spin. Sure the DM's are still up there in price but at least that are good entry level tournament markers in the 250-500 range now
Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM #6
spencerngo2

welcome back man, hopping back into the game myself
spencerngo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 AM #7
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
i hated my rail but my bro loved his. i personally shoot a marq 7 and it is by far the best thing you can pick up for right around 300 very smooth and efficient like you wouldn't believe. i get a hopper an 10 pods with it no problem
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 AM #8
siahnide

Im in the same boat haha
siahnide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM #9
wizard8873

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballr68059 View Post
i hated my rail but my bro loved his. i personally shoot a marq 7 and it is by far the best thing you can pick up for right around 300 very smooth and efficient like you wouldn't believe. i get a hopper an 10 pods with it no problem
apart from the fact that i forgot to check the battery, it worked great over the weekend. shot straight and it was consistent. my friend, his wife, and my gf came out and all of them are looking at getting gear to play.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 AM #10
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA beginner division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
Welcome back. I'm seeing a LOT of old school ballers, myself included, come back after extended breaks.

As for the "Angel Dream"... I was there too. I started playing on/off in the early 90's, but in the late 90's I bought my first marker (a 68 Automag Classic). This was when the first Angel was released, and it was so amazing looking. Yet so out of the price range. So I feel you there.

Enjoy being back into the sport!
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM #11
TommyTwoToes
Pump Chump

TommyTwoToes plays in the APPA D4 division
congrats on the return! I took like 6 years off and got back into it about 5 months ago now and am having a blast.

DM guns are decent.
I remember when Angels were the real deal at all the local fields. Everyone wanted one. Then eventually the smarts parts impulse came out and it was all the rage. I still have an impulse from back in the day. My first gun was a spyder compact 2-1 java. I upgraded everything possible on the gun
Old 08-16-2012, 03:38 PM #12
bcurley

I'm just getting back after 6 years myself....its kinda surreal with how everything has advanced.
bcurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM #13
TommyTwoToes
Pump Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcurley View Post
I'm just getting back after 6 years myself....its kinda surreal with how everything has advanced.
so very very true. I am surprised how much everything has changed. I mean even the companies have changed
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM #14
wizard8873

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post
Welcome back. I'm seeing a LOT of old school ballers, myself included, come back after extended breaks.

As for the "Angel Dream"... I was there too. I started playing on/off in the early 90's, but in the late 90's I bought my first marker (a 68 Automag Classic). This was when the first Angel was released, and it was so amazing looking. Yet so out of the price range. So I feel you there.

Enjoy being back into the sport!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTwoToes View Post
congrats on the return! I took like 6 years off and got back into it about 5 months ago now and am having a blast.

DM guns are decent.
I remember when Angels were the real deal at all the local fields. Everyone wanted one. Then eventually the smarts parts impulse came out and it was all the rage. I still have an impulse from back in the day. My first gun was a spyder compact 2-1 java. I upgraded everything possible on the gun
My first gun, thinking back on it, was a Brass Eagle pump haha. Man it's been a looooong time for me. I know there are older players but funny thinking back on when i started.

Shame to see Angel go under but I remember that towards the end of my playing before, I was shooting DM5's and 6's and completely forgot about the Angel. Maybe I'll buy one since they're cheap now to say I have an Angel and complete my dream before but we'll see.

I did forget how addictive this can be haha. Just picked up a PM7, waiting for it to come in, since I want two guns, one as a backup, and got a pair of pants, jersey, mask, pods, and the marker for $200. I'm sure that the PM7 needs work but at least the gf will have something to play apart from the Tippman rentals. Got her a pair of paints and a jersey too since she wanted some from this past Sunday haha.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 PM #15
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Angels are fantastic markers.

I think of stock guns, The 06 speed and A1 Fly are in my top 10.

Just putting it out there, I don't think a PM7 would be an ideal candidate as a super reliable backup, but whatever floats your goat. They still have an LPR, which is quite the perk, and can take the Orange S.A.M. bolts (I can direct you to one) and the Lurker Eigenring, which just turns it into a monstrosity.

Apart from that, look into Infinity Legends as well.

Super cheap, reliable and pretty ergonomic markers. I'd expect them to sell at $350 when the fully maxed out ones can barely push $250-$275.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!

It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:25 PM #16
Humdingah

Welcome back, Im still workin off rust after an 8 year break
Humdingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 AM #17
Nowayout24
F.E.A.R

Nowayout24 is playing at Living Legends V
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nowayout24 supports Team VICIOUS
Nowayout24 supports Pev's Paintball
Nowayout24 is attending Decay of Nations VI
took a 2 year break and got right back into it..its like riding a bike, just gotta get out and do it and you will be back to your old form
Nowayout24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM #18
wizard8873

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Just putting it out there, I don't think a PM7 would be an ideal candidate as a super reliable backup, but whatever floats your goat. They still have an LPR, which is quite the perk, and can take the Orange S.A.M. bolts (I can direct you to one) and the Lurker Eigenring, which just turns it into a monstrosity.
I know there are better but the whole set is what made it worth it for me. I'm sure there are some issues with it for that price but I'll just have to tear it apart and go from there. Send me a link for those bolts if you can, thanks.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:52 AM #19
TommyTwoToes
Pump Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowayout24 View Post
took a 2 year break and got right back into it..its like riding a bike, just gotta get out and do it and you will be back to your old form
ha not at all is this like riding a bike. I am not back to my old form. I am a lot older, fatter, and slower.
My accuracy is a lot more beast though.
When i think back to when I use to play forever ago, I was young- I could run forever, slide, and I played snake.

Now I feel tired and sore after playing But it is a TON of fun. I did my first tourny since my break a few months back and we had 0 people to fill in. It was rough, but we still placed very well. I am also a hybrid player...snake, front, back I do it all.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM #20
kamdog211

has been a member for 10 years
6 years ago

Welcome back!

I took a six year break and am just getting back into it. I just picked up a DM6 and waiting for it to get in.

What I am amazed with is how much has changed. When I first started, I had a Spyder TL (still have it). Then a Smart Parts Impulse, then a eblade autococker (the best back then), then Dye Matrix (remember them?). My last setup was dm5 and 05 ego that shot amazing.

Also, just saw a Dye Rotor now goes for $180! I'm getting to old to spend my money on these things.

They guys that have been away for a long time. Have you figured out what the differences are between dm10, 11, and 12, GEOs,? How much faster or smoother can these things shoot?

Anyway, hoping to get out next weekend and see how much my muscles will hurt the next day.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM #21
Icon0clast