PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 PM #22
Switch462
Two

Switch462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
There are a few different styles of guns.

electronic: Expensive since you require HPA instead of C02, shoots faster so need electronic loader, and they are usually more expensive to buy. I shoot an Ego 09 which brand new was 1000, a loader that was 120, and an HPA tank that was 160. So that is 1,380 for a top end set up. You can get these guns for 300 with a $50 tank and 80 dollar hopper. So that is 430 for a good starter set for these.

Mechanical: These are the workhorses of woodsball. They don't require anything special so it keeps the cost down alot. Buy a 20 oz C02 and a cheap plastic hopper and you are good to go. These will run off HPA and can use expensive loaders, but they are not needed. This is most peoples choice for a starting marker in the woods.

Pump: These are relatively inexpensive markers that are extremely convenient. They work the same as the mechanical markers with the ability to use C02 and a hopper with the only difference of pump per shot. These are usually smaller and lighter guns because of this. They also can run off 12 gram C02 cartridges and load 10 rounds into a feed tube.

What does this mean for you?

If you are playing mostly woodsball a good mechanical or pump is always a great starter gun. Even if later on you get that 1200 gun that mechanical marker will almost work without fail. I run around with my A5 if I want to conserve paint, if its raining, or if I just want to sprint through woods and not care about my gun. I would recommend a mechanical gun since its middle ground and you wont end up spending $130 on accessories.

Now for the markers you linked.

I like mechanical spyers alot and I think they are better for maintenance than tippmanns, but they are more likely to break and don't take abuse as much. If you are not used to dealing with markers I recommend that you stay away from the electronic guns you linked because the fancier it is the easier it is to break.

Gun maintenance items:

Oil is a must for your gun. It is what keeps it shooting smooth and not sticking. You place some on the bolt and O rings to keep them working correctly.

O rings are what make the paintball world go round. These things are all over your markers and tanks to create seals to make your stuff efficient and not leak. You only really NEED to replace these if they are broken or look like they will. You can switch em if they have a little wear but will work fine with slightly less efficiency.

Screws are just screws. You ever take something apart and then realize that you cant find that one screw? Yup that is why they are important because screws hold the gun together.

Gun Maintenance General:

Now that we went over parts its time to get into cleaning your gun. Every model requires different maintenance and that is outlined in the manual you will get with your gun. Youtube is actually a better source for maintenance because you can watch exactly what they do in a real space instead of the paper diagram with tons of numbers and dotted lines. I do recommend reading the manual first to get an idea of what they are saying then watch youtube videos. Most of the time basic maintenance is just taking a dry cloth and running it over your bolt then applying oil. Since all models are different you will have to do some research. For example my ego requires me to clean the bolt, rammer, and both regs.
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2012, 01:22 PM #23
jach707

You can't go wrong with an A5. Just throw a J & J barrel on it and that marker is very deadly.
jach707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM #24
Sloppyleaf

anyone know of a great paintball set?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM #25
Sloppyleaf

What are good pump guns?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM #26
Sloppyleaf

awesome!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 PM #27
slipknotballer332

slipknotballer332 supports Pev's Paintball
slipknotballer332 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
slipknotballer332 is attending Decay of Nations VI
if you want a pump get maybe a azodin kaos pump or an empire tracer
slipknotballer332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM #28
DirtyJersey

I'm thinking about selling my Project Salvo, if you're interested shoot me an email at shppirate95@gmail.com ; I have a lot of accessories on it and I'm thinking about moving onto a more expensive woodsball gun, particularly the BT - 15, so if you're interested def let me know. I keep all my guns in great condition just hit me up if you're thinking about it.
DirtyJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM #29
Switch462
Two

I have a Azodin Kaos pump and love that thing. It was well worth the investment. The tracer is nice too but I don't care for the plastic on it. Also the A5 isn't that bulky of a marker when you hold it and if you want something thinner may I recommend:

http://www.ansgear.com/2012_Kingman_...00diablack.htm
Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 PM #30
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch462 View Post
electronic: shoots faster so need electronic loader
Not true. I used my Axe with a shake n shoot for two weeks before I got my Z2. It was inconsistent as hell (feeding, not shooting), but still lots of fun.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 PM #31
Switch462
Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Not true. I used my Axe with a shake n shoot for two weeks before I got my Z2. It was inconsistent as hell (feeding, not shooting), but still lots of fun.
2 weeks you used a shake n shoot hopper then got a electronic feed. It still requires one to fully enjoy the rate of fire.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM #32
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

True, but one does not NEED an electronic hopper for the setup to work.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM #33
The2k3Green/BlackImp (Banned)

The2k3Green/BlackImp supports Pev's Paintball
The2k3Green/BlackImp has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The2k3Green/BlackImp has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The2k3Green/BlackImp has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppyleaf View Post
Looking to buy my first marker. I need an epic gun to meet my level of awesome. I've been looking at the TPX pistol and the Airow Gun bow combo. Any thoughts? Any other options?
does anybody think this sounds likea nerdy 13 year old posting?
I NEEDZ AN EPIC GUN TO MEET MY LEVEL OF AWESOME
BECAUSE I'M AWESOME AT PAINTBALL EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT EVEN OWNED A GUN BEFORE
The2k3Green/BlackImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 PM #34
Switch462
Two

Doesn't matter how old he is. He is looking for information before purchasing so he is smarter than 80% of players that start. Though I will warn ya sloppy if you bring that attitude to a field prepare to get your *** handed to you on the field. People who think they are hot stuff often become objectives. If you go out and let your play do the talking people will respect you and come to you.

and yes sniper I get the meaning of NEED, but if I see a kid running around with a shake n shoot on an electro I am going to know that they have no idea what they are doing.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 AM #35
Sloppyleaf

yeah im 21... lmao. im just eccentric..and i watch a lot of how i met your mother. lol

i love paintball but im completely clueless. ive only ever played with rentals and borrowed guns so really anything will do the trick. i just dont want fog on my mask and i hate spraying.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM #36
Sloppyleaf

also i never said i was awesome at paintball. i just said i was awesome.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM #37
Sloppyleaf

I wouldnt know much about sounding older...im not from "da hood." lmao
Old 08-08-2012, 10:41 AM #38
Dark Side
You will know the power

Annual Supporting Member
Dark Side is BST Trusted
For the mask, get yourself a JT Proflex.

A5s are a good starting point as it comes with it's own hopper system. Stay away from the elctronic trigger and improve your game before improving your rate of fire. You will thank me later.

Phantoms are the only pump I've ever shot. You can't go wrong with them either.

07/08 Ego Vici Board
Dust Black ShockTech AutoCocker snatch grip
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM #39
Pump #54

Pump #54 supports DLX Technology
I wouldn't recommend the bow unless you hunt, and have a ton of experience with the stringing of one.

Seeing as there is no regulator or adjuster, it's all the string tension.
Pump #54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM #40
Sloppyleaf

yeah..i called a few paintball places anyway and they said i cant play with the bow unless its adjusted to 280 or something like that
Old 08-12-2012, 01:37 PM #41
mightymike305
Play or Dye!!

mightymike305 is playing at Living Legends V
mightymike305 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
mightymike305 is attending Decay of Nations VI
mightymike305 is attending Decay of Nations VII
A brass eagle plastic pump gun...sooo long ago..lol
mightymike305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 AM #42
SlamSlayer
NYMP Founder

I would stay away from any of those combo packs that come with pods, tank, mask, etc on top of the gun. Usually what they give you is junk, specifically the mask, and you're going to want to replace it right away. So save your money and build it yourself. I'm relatively new to paintball by a lot of players standards. I've been playing for about 5 years now and you sound like me when I first started at 20. As everyone has said, pistols, bows, things like that are more novelty items. You should, for now, even stay away from a pump. Unless you're going to be playing with other pump players. It can improve your game, but first you need to develop some basic skills sets before you go and handicap yourself in a regular game.

You want a solid gun to build your "awesome" skills on and you're not going to do it with those as a new player. The type of markers you want really depends on simply what makes you happy. Something that looks like a gun, or something that looks like a laser. Or something in between. The rule of thumb is, the more your marker looks like a real gun, the less it will perform like a paintball marker. What I mean is, when gun hits count, why do you want a bigger target? The sights, scope, bi pod, fake magazine, etc only add weight and a target to mark. I'm a hardcore woodsballer myself and I know how awesome they can look. But a lot of people start off like that (like myself) and slowly, as you build skills and knowledge of the game, realize that you're getting better but in some ways your gun is holding you back. And although I wouldn't call it money wasted (you did, will and would have had a blast with them), you could just skip that whole awkward phase and go straight into skill building, rather than gun building. BUT again, if that's your thing, nothing wrong with that. More power to you if you play with a group of like minded people.

Now its the PLAYER, NOT the marker (or equipment), and plenty of people swear by their Tippmann "Ak". But a big target vs a little target is still a big target vs a little target. Little things you can adjust can help improve your game. Lightening your load by losing the heavy vest with extra pockets you fill with crap (or not at all) down to a pod back or a light weight harness (which is what I use) can give you a boost of speed and stamina for example. Though a big vest load out has its place, such as at a big game taking place over the course of a day or so. And having a smaller profile means the difference between a near miss (and you're still in the game) vs a hit (and you're out) because someone tagged you in the fake box magazine with real bullet casing that does nothing. It can LOOK amazing and can be fun to play with. But in a regular group of players (rather than with a bunch of like minded milsim type players), you're going to be at a disadvantage.

I started off with a Tippmann 98 (which you probably used for a rental) decked out to look like a battle rifle. It was long, awkward and at times down right heavy to play with all day. But I had fun with it, got people out, and that's what counted. BUT, time went on and I lost weight, got in shape, gained speed and stepped up my game. I took off everything that wasn't needed (the stock and red dot for example). I lightened my load out, sold my pistol (never used it, but it with all the mags was a LOT of unneeded weight) and it improved my game a lot just by doing that.

Vs how compact I've made it for my girl

I moved on to the X7 Phenom. A much better performer vs the 98 and a bit more compact as well. But still had it's share of extra bulk to it by default. Despite the fact that I swore to never add useless things to my markers again, you just can't help it with a Tippmann lol. Started off pretty light and compact, ended up going backwards after I found a deal on the mp5 parts I couldn't pass up. But again it was fun to play with and a head turner in the staging area.

Now my current set up is a GoG G1 (which someone recommended earlier in this thread). It fits my wants and needs perfectly. It looks "gun-ish", which I like. I don't want something that looks like a laser gun, I want something that feels military. That's why I play, that's MY enjoyment in this sport. Everyone is different. BUT it has the performance to back it up. Multiple fire modes, tons of settings to adjust to your liking, consistent and accurate even with the stock barrel. It doesn't really have anything useless on it. It's light, compact and it rips with my V-max Loader on it feeding it (capped by me) at 15 bps. Most of all, I don't feel handicapped up against good speedball players. Which was important to me. Because I can bring this marker in tight no matter what angle I'm playing. Something that was hard to do with the X7 because of how the hopper is off on the side like that.

As for a mask, I still have my V-force profiler which have only been improved upon since I bought it (you can buy, or I think they might come with, a better lens now). It was a GREAT mask which I keep for my girl to use now or any one else who wants to come play. But what I'm using NOW is an Invert Avatar which I DO swear by has it has NEVER fogged on me once. Not in extreme heat or cold. It's large, comfortable and breathes well. Plus it comes in matching camo for the rest of my gear.

Last edited by SlamSlayer : 08-14-2012 at 01:39 PM.
SlamSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote