For about 2 weeks I've been working on making an underwater housing for my D800. I came across 2 watertight electronic cases at Dicks Sporting Goods. After some measuring I figure out that with 1 large and one small one, I could fit my d800 in one case, and my 50mm, 85mm, or 11-16mm in the smaller case. The process was fairly time consuming, I had bond the 2 together using epoxy and other sealants. After I fused them together I used a dremel to cut a hole between the 2 for the lens, after which I attached bolts to further strengthen the bond between the 2 pieces.
I only have control of the shutter/Autofocus due to my lack of mcgyver-ness, so if I need to change aperture or something I have to open the back side and make the necessary adjustments. I didnt have much of a problem though as I was shooting with strobes and pretty much kept the same settings the whole time.
I then added a pc sync cable that protrudes out the top, and extends poolside to a Pocketwizard to fire lights. That was a quick last minute decision before this shoot because everything I've read says radio frequencies are really spotty underwater.
I then spray painted the inside of the front compartment matte black to kill any reflections that might pop up. I cut out the front of the lens compartment and installed a piece of glass to reduce any sharpness loss that I would get from shooting through thicker plastic.
Photos of housing:
The shoot lasted about 3 hours at a friend's pool. I hadn't seen the pool before that day, so it was a bit of a shock to see how big it was, but it also had an ugly texture to it that I wasn't expecting.
Lighting the subject were 2 broncolor heads into 1 pack. Keep in mind this was at around 2pm, and the sun was straight overhead with no cloud cover. These heads were putting out probably around 4000WS of light, which was just enough to overpower the sun, making it look almost like night time.
This is how dark I was able to make it by overpowering the sun.
I positioned the lights behind her, feathered forward to just rake across her and allow the background to fall off as much as possible. That gave a nice light that made her dress glow, and add just enough to illuminate her face.
From there it was pretty much just getting the right body, hair, and fabric positions to make it look like she was falling through the water.