Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-04-2012, 03:57 PM #1
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Mountain bike advice?

So my wife and I's bikes were stolen. Sucks, but crap happens. Anyway insurance will be covering it and giving my wife and I money for a modern replacement (minus the deductible).

I had a Specialized Rockhopper. For a while I was big in to trail and mountain biking. Lately, I find myself still doing some trails and such, but also doing a lot of paved/easy trails with the wife and her "hybrid" bike.

SHould I just get another Rockhopper? Insurance would cover a 2012 which is one of the new 29ers (I had a 26er). How do the bigger tires affect biking on paved surfaces?

Should I consider a hybrid type bike? Obviously I'm not doing as many or as difficult mountain biking excursions. How much will I miss it in one of these hybrids?

Also, offer models that are similar to the Rockhopper. I'm thinking I may be buying used and would like to find a 2009 - 2011 and save a little money.
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 PM #2
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
If you only ride around on bike paths, a hybrid would be a lot better. Off road tires and suspension forks add rolling resistance and weight you just don't need if you aren't riding technical trails. My recommendation would be to stay away from the super-upright "comfort" bikes and look for something more fitness oriented (like the specialized crosstrail sport, the cannondale quick series, etc) that will just be like a more road capable version of your rockhopper.

If you do get another MTB, absolutely go for the 29er. They ride better everywhere, especially if you are reasonably tall. If you want something really versatile and badass and don't mind spending a bit more money, look into cyclocross bikes. They are the rally cars of the bike world.

Last edited by berserker19 : 08-04-2012 at 06:12 PM.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 PM #3
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
I'm 6'1". And I do plan on utilizing a mountain bike. I also don't have more money to spend ....
Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 PM #4
Scatlm
equilibrium

I live in mostly-flat FL, however, I hit parks which have artificial trails ... nothing too technical, so I went with a Salsa 29er hardtail with 100mm Fox fork and it s real joy ... even when I ride flat on asphalt to get some cardio.

My first purchase was an Airborne and I have to say its the BEST bang for you buck ...compared to big-brands like Specialized, Trek, Cannnondale, you will get about 30% more bike for the same price just because you're basically buying direct and eliminating the middle man (dealer) ... then again, some people swear that you have to get fitted and all this bs so they will tell you its worth it to pay more and have a local-shop where u can try out the bike before buying it.

Anyhow, good luck on your quest.

Cheers!
Scatlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 PM #5
Scatlm
equilibrium

So to sum it up .. if you plan to hit some trails once in while you'll be fine with a quality front-suspension (fork) and you'll still be able to ride-flat without the bike inhibiting you.. but like it was mentioned you don't need a full-suspension.

Edit: And 29ers plow through just about everything .. it does take bit more to catch momentum but once you have it, you'll really notice how much faster and funner it is. At first, the geometry of the bikes coupled with the 29" wheels left something to be desired inb terms of maneuverability but thats all gone now with the new bikes ... 29ers handle just as good.

Last edited by Scatlm : 08-04-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Scatlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 PM #6
JOHNNY G
little rainbow bomb

JOHNNY G donated to help Peyton Trent
JOHNNY G owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JOHNNY G supports DLX Technology
JOHNNY G supports Empire
I don't want to jack your thread but i have a question I'm new to Mountain biking I just got 2010 katmandu and the chain jumps the last sprocket and goes between the wheel and the sprocket. This mean the back wheel just needs to be pulled back ? Or a major problem ?

"Originally posted by "Codypbnation: You really are a dick Johnny"
JOHNNY G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 AM #7
Marc890

Look into norco bikes definitely top of line products
Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM #8
surge101
Hayley?

surge101 supports Team VICIOUS
surge101 is for the Gunfight
surge101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
surge101 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I find the hybrid bikes to be kind of a waste unless you strictly just want to do short commutes. I mainly just do the novice trails when I do trails. I still use a Giant Talon 0 29er hardtrail, and love it.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM #9
Goballsdeep
Game On

Goballsdeep is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY G View Post
I don't want to jack your thread but i have a question I'm new to Mountain biking I just got 2010 katmandu and the chain jumps the last sprocket and goes between the wheel and the sprocket. This mean the back wheel just needs to be pulled back ? Or a major problem ?
It means you need to adjust the stops on your derallieur. If it's a sram deraillieur then they have videos on youtube on how to do this. It takes a phillips screwdriver and about 10 minutes.
Goballsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote